Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kessel posted:

STAIRS at checkout! Straight 10 per cent off.

It’s a trap.

Kessel posted:

If you walk up with some variant of the stairs question I’m doubling your prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

sadly Shopify has no such functionality to issue trap discount codes or I bloody well would

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
They're already listed as out of stock on your site, jeez (the grey colour)

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

sadly Shopify has no such functionality to issue trap discount codes or I bloody well would

Awkward forum reference used: one case and one notebook. Figuring out a notebook I wanted took way longer than I thought it would.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

kim jong-illin posted:

They're already listed as out of stock on your site, jeez (the grey colour)

Yeeeah that and the blue ran out right quick. I have an emergency restock coming but it’ll take about two weeks to show up. A lot more people bought a case at the show than I was expecting — some folks told me the price was lower than they had anticipated.

The Electronaut posted:

Awkward forum reference used: one case and one notebook. Figuring out a notebook I wanted took way longer than I thought it would.

You ended up picking one of the best! I’m working through these orders but let me see if I can’t get it out to you this week.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Tried out a sampler of Noodler's 54th Massachusetts over the weekend after being really excited about how it looks on Goulet's site and find it thoroughly meh. It ends up almost looking green to my (terrible) eyes. What's a better grey blue that has more slate in it than emerald?

Branching out into colors is kind of a lamely huge personal growth thing for me. I would legitimately paint my entire house beige because it's easier to deal with, so a million ink colors to mess with is sort of like Dorothy entering Oz.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Tried out a sampler of Noodler's 54th Massachusetts over the weekend after being really excited about how it looks on Goulet's site and find it thoroughly meh. It ends up almost looking green to my (terrible) eyes. What's a better grey blue that has more slate in it than emerald?

Branching out into colors is kind of a lamely huge personal growth thing for me. I would legitimately paint my entire house beige because it's easier to deal with, so a million ink colors to mess with is sort of like Dorothy entering Oz.

Sailor Sei Boku?, which Goulet doesn't carry. Anderson pens does though and does samples.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

stealie72 posted:

It could well be your batch really is greener than what people were showcasing online. Noodler's inks are very inconsistent like that. I have not really played with the kind of colors you are talking about so I cannot say for sure. However, I imagine you will search that color and likely see comparisons against 54th. Whatever they have for it might as well be a completely different color and you have to just ignore it.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

He really does make each batch by hand with minor tweaks so what you get in your bottle could be anything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean “hand made” explains it to a degree, but if he followed written recipes for the proportions and tested swabs against previous batches, I believe he would have happier customers.

He is a victim of :catdrugs:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Platystemon posted:

I mean “hand made” explains it to a degree, but if he followed written recipes for the proportions and tested them against swabs of previous batches, I believe he would have happier customers.

You mean his batches should be... regulated?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought he deliberately added variation as a kind of watermark so ... I dunno, when His People take back the government and have to track down The Illuminati puppetmasters he has some means or something.

One of them, of course, is his mailman.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You mean his batches should be... regulated?

“A well-regulated process being necessary to the satisfaction of a customer base…”

Wait. gently caress. That’s the part they don’t put in gold letters in the lobby.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought he deliberately added variation as a kind of watermark so ... I dunno, when His People take back the government and have to track down The Illuminati puppetmasters he has some means or something.

One of them, of course, is his mailman.

I think it’s an intentional feature only for the Warden series.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
OK, I read some of his blog about his inks having DNA and whatnot, but, uhh, yeah. Interesting. You'd think that a product that remains consistent across batches would be desirable. I guess his insanity and people looking for artesenal handmade "authentic" things are a currently profitable match.

edit: Sailor Sei Boku looks like what I thought 54th MA would be, so that works.

vvvv Guess they're off my short list. That's neat if I'm buying ink at my local farmer's market, but if I went to sherwin williams with a swatch and got a different color because of Their Handmade Process, I'd be pissed vvvvv

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 14, 2018

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
This is why I stopped buying Noodlers. I had the same thing happen with my bottle of 54th AND with Black swan in English roses. Also I've found his inks often cause hard starts in my pens, especially if they've been sitting for a week. Don't really have that issue with Diamine, JHerbin, Robert Oster, Pilot etc (though I suppose his ink is alot cheaper).

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
On that note, anyone know a good replacement for Aircorp Blue-Black that isn’t Lamy Petrol?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Welsper posted:

On that note, anyone know a good replacement for Aircorp Blue-Black that isn’t Lamy Petrol?
There's a sampler of this on my desk expecting it to actually be green-ish. It's going to make me sad also, isn't it?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lowness 72 posted:

This is why I stopped buying Noodlers. I had the same thing happen with my bottle of 54th AND with Black swan in English roses. Also I've found his inks often cause hard starts in my pens, especially if they've been sitting for a week. Don't really have that issue with Diamine, JHerbin, Robert Oster, Pilot etc (though I suppose his ink is alot cheaper).

Outside of black ink, I've mostly stopped using Noodlers because I find the inks take forever to dry on nicer paper.

Speaking of ink, Colorverse Gravity Wave is so dope. I have a bunch of teals, but I might have to add one more because dang it's a nice sheening teal.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

stealie72 posted:

edit: Sailor Sei Boku looks like what I thought 54th MA would be, so that works.

I helped somebody, yeh! I picked up a bottle of it because my hands get clammy regularly and that has caused a bit of smearing in my notebooks, so I looked at permanent inks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I own one bog standard fountain pen and one bottle of black ink and I’m perfectly happy, Something is wrong with me right?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I own one bog standard fountain pen and one bottle of black ink and I’m perfectly happy, Something is wrong with me right?

No of course not, use what you like

you weirdo

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

stealie72 posted:

There's a sampler of this on my desk expecting it to actually be green-ish. It's going to make me sad also, isn't it?

Mine's certainly rather green (for a BB, at any rate). But it's also saturated as hell, so you can't really tell unless you're in good light.

Personally, I rather like that the batches differ. If i wanted 100% consistent color I'd be buying boxes of papermates or something.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I’m one or two fills away from finishing an entire bottle of ink, so high five, weirdo

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you had said "blue-black" instead of "black" you'd be 100% less weird.

Kidding, I pretty much have black in all of my (few) FPs because so much of what I use them for kind of needs to be in black. I have one Metropolitan loaded with Shin-kai though, cuz I love that color, and that's for fun writing.

Then one Platinum Preppy with an Iroshizuku green, don't remember which. I've had no opportunity to use it since I inked it up though.

I definitely will never be a big ink buyer, though. I need a red for revision stuff, but that's about the only other color besides black/blue-black that I see myself using regularly. Okay, maybe a nice, rich brown. But that's it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nah, from a utilitarian perspective that's all you really need. Most of us here are hobbyists so we also go in for a bunch of unnecessary extra stuff like gold nibbed pens, inks in every color and so on.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kessel posted:

I’m one or two fills away from finishing an entire bottle of ink, so high five, weirdo

I have about a quarter of a bottle of kon-peki left, I need to get back to work emptying it.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I really like Noodler's black because it violates the laws of physics. I've been topping my bottle off with distilled water for 5 years and it's still the blackest ink I have.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

edit: wrong thread...

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 14, 2018

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Does the Noodler's guy really have the second amendment text in his office lobby? If so, that's hilarious and awesome. The 90s website is also a lot of fun. I haven't had any problems with my Noodler's inks, and especially like Zhivago. I have a bad habit of buying ink, and lean towards Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Noodlers, but there can't be more than will fit in one plastic box I use for it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tbh i'd be shocked if the noodler's guy actually has an office

i always pictured him as more of a shack in the woods kind of guy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Shack? Try a bunker surrounded by foodstuffs and ink bottles

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Moral_Hazard posted:

Does the Noodler's guy really have the second amendment text in his office lobby? If so, that's hilarious and awesome. The 90s website is also a lot of fun. I haven't had any problems with my Noodler's inks, and especially like Zhivago. I have a bad habit of buying ink, and lean towards Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Noodlers, but there can't be more than will fit in one plastic box I use for it.

No. That’s the NRA.

They’re the only lobbying firm with half an amendment in their lobby.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Shack? Try a bunker surrounded by foodstuffs and ink bottles
But he always wears gloves so that he doesn't leave inky fingerprints anywhere in there?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Noodler's is best treated like a concentrate. You can dilute them almost endlessly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would never buy a bottle from Noodler’s for the colour, but some of their inks have unique properties that cannot be found anywhere else.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I would never buy a bottle from Noodler’s for the colour, but some of their inks have unique properties that cannot be found anywhere else.

Does black come as a color because I bout heart of darkness because there isn’t a black that black anywhere else and it comes in a big rear end bottle that never runs out. Also the Noodlers Red Black because it looks like dried blood (not really the reason I bought it but it does look like that).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
There are no good black aniline dyes, so "black" inks are generally very saturated purples or browns. Noodler's blacks are generally all browns while most other companies use purples.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm shying away from my Mont Blanc Mystery Black lately because the paper I use for work makes it appear a sort of grimy green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, can be frustrating when you paper works against you. My Noodler's General of the armies normally dries into a really nice aquamarine shade but the paper I use for charting at work has it dry into a nasty shade of blue-gray.