Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Right but it's like $30 every 3 months which is so negligible as to be almost unnoticed.

The amount isn't much in the great scheme of things, but it's just enough to be noticeable and I tend to renew PS+ strategically, if there's an interesting game and/or sale. Oh well, I'll live - and probably make a similar post in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I started Yakuza 0 and just completed chapter 1 and this game is rad as gently caress.

There's no timer on things, you can explore the city at your leisure. Don't let the enormous dude hit you or you'll regret it severely. There's a drugstore next to the Shrine that sells amazing healing items, Staminan Royale being the best until you get into the later chapters and complete a substory.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tlou's mp designer left naughty dog this week so tlou2 probably gonna be different

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My favourite part of just starting Yak0 was when you invade the HQ and straight up drop a dude out a window. That dude is dead.

Mouth was legit agape in awe at the scene.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He's fine

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Akuma posted:

Maria is one of the easiest bosses in the entire franchise if you can dodge at all! :cmon:

I beat her on my first try because I know how to dodge and parry, but all the atmosphere leading up to it and the music during the fight make it feel like the climax of the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I started Yakuza 0 and just completed chapter 1 and this game is rad as gently caress.

Another thing that Yakuza doesn't really tell you is that you can press L1 when you've grabbed someone to switch which direction you're holding them. There's different heat moves associated with holding them from the front or back.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
He goes off Batman rules. Only guns can kill people. Everything else is a “no one could have survived that!” situation.

Except in Yakuza, outside of cutscenes even guns can’t kill people.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Guns don't kill people, cutscenes do.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hell even in cutscenes they have a pretty bad success rate. Unless you're a main character's love interest anyway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is it meant to be a joke that Kiryu gets framed for murder at the start then proceeds to drop people on their heads and worse for the rest of the game/s because that is pretty funny.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JBP posted:

Is it meant to be a joke that Kiryu gets framed for murder at the start then proceeds to drop people on their heads and worse for the rest of the game/s because that is pretty funny.

The dissonance between Yakuza's main story and everything else about it is sort of a running gag, yeah.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There is a cutscene in 6 where someone gets shot directly in the chest (not the usual designated non-lethal zones like the shoulder) but acts pretty much like people do outside of cutscenes, at least.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I have shot people point blank in Yakuza games. In 6 they don’t even sit around apologising they just disappear. I assume they’re dead most of the time.

The stuff at the start of Kiwami basically sets Kiryu and Majima up as Batman and the Joker

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The Yakuza series has taught me violence comes from sexual frustration. I hope Kiryu gets laid before he turns 60. Otherwise, he should join a monastery.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Housh posted:

The Yakuza series has taught me violence comes from sexual frustration. I hope Kiryu gets laid before he turns 60. Otherwise, he should join a monastery.
In the beginning of five he’s been living with a woman for a while...

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I hope the next game is a thorough exploration on whether Kiryu is an incel or a volcel

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Samurai Sanders posted:

In the beginning of five he’s been living with a woman for a while...

Yeah and he's a taxi driver just living his life with no worries until Daigo shows up and fucks it up for him, the selfish dickhead.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

after finishing yakuza 0 last week i started kiwami yesterday and did the first three chapters or so. this game really hits the ground running.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
"oooh kiryu, listen, i really need you to do me a favor. i have to gently caress off and see a man about a baseball, do you mind going down to the docks and beating up literally 100 dudes by yourself. thanks"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I’m happy Rage 2 is happening. I really liked the shooting and car combat in the first one, it just needed less filler. And an ending. Now if they could do a Brink 2 that delivers on the promise the first one had, my 2011 preorders can be redeemed.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Sakurazuka posted:

Hell even in cutscenes they have a pretty bad success rate. Unless you're a main character's love interest anyway.

Yak 0 spoiler I would like to believe that Tachibana was Kiryu's love interest.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Over There posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWJE0x7T4Q

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Audio nerd talk on GOW 🤓

One minor technical niggle I have with Dad of Boy is the audio options.
I think they put the music WAYYYYY too low in the mix. Even when you have it up at 10, it still sound weedy unless you drop the other sliders.

It’s a shame because the music is absolutely amazing and any time I do hear it I’m surprised because I’ve forgotten the game actually has any score.

Still an amazing game. 10/10 for the sound design and voice work.
The vocal performances (and Mocap) from the main characters is insanely good. I love how they capture the deepness of Christopher Judge’s voice.

The satisfying noise when your axe returns is fantastic.

I suspect this is due to however you hear the sound.

I run the sound through a receiver and speakers and everything was always fine. Occasionally dialog would get drowned out by effects. Mainly butthead talking during transitions from one realm to another.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought the sound was uniformly awesome on my good cans.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm just really glad Bloodborne, my first and only souls game, came out the same year MGSV, the most hyped I've ever been for a game as an adult, broke my heart with disappointment :cry:

...I've killed queen Yharnam on two separate characters :getin:

I’ve done it on four to get to depth 5 root dungeons, the premades really aren’t as painful as the first time once you have a rough idea of what to skip

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Over There posted:

As far as I’m concerned that’s cannon. Also Majima and Nishiki

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I discovered after hours and hours into Yakuza 0 that there's an equipment menu (I didn't realize I was even getting stuff for it) have no idea what the numbers mean below each item. It's like defense, ranged and something else and a total #. Game never explained it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I'd take saccharine unserious dumb jokes and memes over cringeworthy teenage fuckbot cheesecake honestly

Don't worry, Soul Calibur 6 is coming so hopefully that'll have your preferred fetish in vacuumsealed spandex.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Don't worry, Soul Calibur 6 is coming so hopefully that'll have your preferred fetish in vacuumsealed spandex.
Coming when? I want to know when I can return to the world of swords and souls, especially if they’re going back to basics to some degree after to gross excesses of 5.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I discovered after hours and hours into Yakuza 0 that there's an equipment menu (I didn't realize I was even getting stuff for it) have no idea what the numbers mean below each item. It's like defense, ranged and something else and a total #. Game never explained it.

If you’re talking about the number I’m thinking of, the number indicates the amount of times you can use the item in battle before you need to repair it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Coming when? I want to know when I can return to the world of swords and souls, especially if they’re going back to basics to some degree after to gross excesses of 5.

Date expected at e3. Rumors of a delay tho but currently slated for 2018

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Morby posted:

If you’re talking about the number I’m thinking of, the number indicates the amount of times you can use the item in battle before you need to repair it.

nah thats a diff number im pretty sure, i also dont know what the actual numbers do, i assume they're stat boosts?

re: kiryu (is his name a pun on Kill You?) killing people I love the sword finishers where he like kicks a sword right through someones abdomen and then they're like "ouch... sorry ill never do that again!"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i thought majima had a similar batman setup but he goes on about how he's never killed then he goes around just breaking peoples necks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Samurai Sanders posted:

No date announced besides "2018." This time around it's being built in Unreal 4 which means it's also being ported to PC! So far the language and visuals around SC6 have looked pretty rebootsy, with almost all revealed characters being from the classic roster in their OG costumes and ages.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

No date announced besides "2018." This time around it's being built in Unreal 4 which means it's also being ported to PC! So far the language and visuals around SC6 have looked pretty rebootsy, with almost all revealed characters being from the classic roster in their OG costumes and ages.
Yeah that is totally my bag. I wish they had just called it “Soul Calibur” (or even Soul Blade) as per the current trend.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

acksplode posted:

I learned about Odin's ravens, realized I was never going to find them all, accepted that fact, and stopped caring about them all while the 1/51 prompt was still on the UI

If only there was a place you could look up the locations, along with some screenshots if you're actually lazy.

I finished them, it' just 6 tops per area and if you take them on casually it's not that much of a horrible grind.

Muspelheim the second time around and Sigrun however ... I feel I just don't have the patience for that kind of bullshit.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Muspelheim and Niflheim are trash.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I am fine with this as long as they add that Build A Character mode. I spent so much time doing that in SC3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mcbexx posted:

If only there was a place you could look up the locations, along with some screenshots if you're actually lazy.

I finished them, it' just 6 tops per area and if you take them on casually it's not that much of a horrible grind.

Muspelheim the second time around and Sigrun however ... I feel I just don't have the patience for that kind of bullshit.

And the vast majority of them are pretty obvious because they are twittering at you constantly when you are nearby. Only a couple are too far to really hear and those are in big open air areas where once you know to look for them, you just do a scan around and will see them.

I think I found 49/51 and looked up two.

The ravens weren't a problem. The poorly implemented Uncharted wall climbing was, though.