Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

elise the great posted:

What in the WHOLE gently caress

Is that painted rock in two colors with a mural, red tile, an unpainted rustic hearth to contrast with the black-painted traditional hearth across the room, and a cigar box native profile on top

That's not a rustic hearth, it's an indoor waterfall, per the listing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

Ah man, I was betting on elaborate cat-nook.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

there wolf posted:

Ah man, I was betting on elaborate cat-nook.

I was hoping it was the remains of some elaborate built-in large reptile enclosure. Indoor waterfall is pretty great too tho.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Southern Heel posted:

This 'box' in my hall covers the 'roof' of the stairs (Which loop around underneath). It's a total eyesore and the triangular space inside has just been filled with my wife's shoes. My immediate thought was to put some batons and molding on it, paint it a contrasting colour and add an overstuffed cushion top to it - but honestly I don't know how often I'm going to think to myself 'gee, between my bedroom and the toilet, I really wish I had somewhere to sit down...'

Any suggestions?

The most important thing is building a practical space.
It is good storage for a pre-rigged Home Alone style paint can on ropes swinging trap to cover the stairwell

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Um it's clearly the deformed, screaming face of a tormented soul.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Fireplace, waterplace. Why not.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

hailthefish posted:

Fireplace, waterfall, cat nook, lizard enclosure. I think it can be all that and more. But mostly the tormented soul thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Fireplace, waterfall, cat nook, lizard enclosure. I think it can be all that and more. But mostly the tormented soul thing.

This place is sacred. It can be many things to many people. Go- look into the rocks. What do you see?

:pcgaming:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This place is sacred. It can be many things to many people. Go- look into the rocks. What do you see?

:pcgaming:

This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I'm not the only one who sees a nose and mouth, am I?

hailthefish posted:

Nope, I'm not.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Southern Heel posted:

This 'box' in my hall covers the 'roof' of the stairs (Which loop around underneath). It's a total eyesore and the triangular space inside has just been filled with my wife's shoes. My immediate thought was to put some batons and molding on it, paint it a contrasting colour and add an overstuffed cushion top to it - but honestly I don't know how often I'm going to think to myself 'gee, between my bedroom and the toilet, I really wish I had somewhere to sit down...'

Any suggestions?

Do you own anything triangular?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Any suggestions?

Sand down the white finish and apply light wood stain to match the banister and get a nice stuffed cover for the lid to be used for seating. Get yourself a small cabinet / shelving unit for the empty space next to it (maybe a few small indoor plants too?) fill the shelves with books and you'll have an out of the way reading nook. As for the storage side, if you're wife is happy using it as shoe storage keep it as that. If the box is in a central location in the house it might be a good space to hide a decently powered wifi router.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
There’s no point in making it a seat, it’s just an unoriginal trap to make use of the space and the assumption that every area has to have some utilitarian purpose. There’s nothing wrong with just having open areas, and too many people underutilize them.

The only instance in which you should have a seat there is if you’ve thought to yourself “man I wish I could sit right there”. Otherwise you’re just replacing one useless furnishing with another. Plus, if that were the case you would already know that’s what you planned on using it for.

This is how people end up with houses stuffed with chairs everywhere that nobody uses.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PRADA SLUT posted:

There’s no point in making it a seat, it’s just an unoriginal trap to make use of the space and the assumption that every area has to have some utilitarian purpose. There’s nothing wrong with just having open areas, and too many people underutilize them.

The only instance in which you should have a seat there is if you’ve thought to yourself “man I wish I could sit right there”. Otherwise you’re just replacing one useless furnishing with another. Plus, if that were the case you would already know that’s what you planned on using it for.

This is how people end up with houses stuffed with chairs everywhere that nobody uses.
I'm gonna go on Houzz and buy the first poorly-proportioned fake MCM chair I see and ship it to you.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

He's got a point though.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
He's not wrong, but it would still amuse me to grief-gift him an uncomfortable knockoff chair with crooked seams and incorrect styling.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
whoa whoa whoa, don't want to ruin the floor-sitting Feng shui

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My brain threw an extra "h" in there and I was briefly really concerned about your bowel habits.

I am also currently envious of anyone who has managed to simplify their lives and belongings, as I am surrounded by approximately fourteen metric tons of baby-related paraphernalia. Within immediate sight: pack-and-play, small wheeled storage unit for changing supplies, trash can for fecal deposition, infant swing, infant jumper-thing, infant bouncy chair thing, floor playpad, several spare outfits and vomit cloths, breast pump and supplies, approximately a dozen books and a handful of toys. Hidden from view in some stands are approximately five thousand diapers. And this is only the living room.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Youth Decay posted:

Hmm this looks like a perfectly normal old house

wait what's in that room over there

AAAAAAGH

whyyy would you do this to your living room

No you idiots you're supposed to build the house on the Indian burial ground, not the other way around!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

No you idiots you're supposed to build the house on the Indian burial ground, not the other way around!

loving :lol: at Native Americans running screaming away from a burial mound as unmatched windows, two-story entranceways, and fake shutters come after them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Please don’t put a cushion on top of it. If you want to decorate in that space you could always put some other decor items (pictures, plants, etc) on it and use the inside to store occasional-to-rare use things instead of shoes. Leaning a large framed print in that space with some other decorative items in front of it seems much better to me than stuffing a cushion on top. IDK, it just seems dowdy to me but that might be a taste matter.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Southern Heel posted:

Any suggestions?

Have you considered building a nice bookshelf there?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Drill out the bottom and pour boiling oil onto invaders on the staircase

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My brain threw an extra "h" in there and I was briefly really concerned about your bowel habits.

I am also currently envious of anyone who has managed to simplify their lives and belongings, as I am surrounded by approximately fourteen metric tons of baby-related paraphernalia. Within immediate sight: pack-and-play, small wheeled storage unit for changing supplies, trash can for fecal deposition, infant swing, infant jumper-thing, infant bouncy chair thing, floor playpad, several spare outfits and vomit cloths, breast pump and supplies, approximately a dozen books and a handful of toys. Hidden from view in some stands are approximately five thousand diapers. And this is only the living room.

Oh don't worry, it gets so much better when they're older.

Like 30 years older.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh don't worry, it gets so much better when they're older.

Like 30 years older.

When their stuff still fills your attic?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

gently caress that noise, I'm gonna reinsulate and rewall it up there (renovator appears not to have installed a vapor barrier, thanks) and turn it into a small theater/game room. He can rent a storage unit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Fun fact, my elder brother, 35 at the time, refused to help clear his stuff out of my parents attic last time they moved, so I helped them throw away over a dozen boxes of fast ford and Max power magazines. He was upset because he was convinced they were worth something.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Fun fact, my elder brother, 35 at the time, refused to help clear his stuff out of my parents attic last time they moved, so I helped them throw away over a dozen boxes of fast ford and Max power magazines. He was upset because he was convinced they were worth something.

Delicious.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

First kid, eh?

The next one will wear vomit-stained onesies, get changed on the same dirty blanket every time, and you'll just take the dirty diapers straight out to the garbage can.

Take lots of pictures. It's the only thing you won't ever regret.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jaded Burnout posted:

Just tell them to put it back in their room.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I assume this joke was already made but I figured it would help to envision the space. Imagine shooting your rear end in a top hat dad with a crossbow while he took a poo poo on this

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Imagine shooting your rear end in a top hat dad with a crossbow while he took a poo poo on this

Is this too long for a thread title?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I assume this joke was already made but I figured it would help to envision the space. Imagine shooting your rear end in a top hat dad with a crossbow while he took a poo poo on this

also instead of installing plumbing, install a trap door and put a baby pool on the floor below

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

TheMadMilkman posted:

First kid, eh?

The next one will wear vomit-stained onesies, get changed on the same dirty blanket every time, and you'll just take the dirty diapers straight out to the garbage can.

Spot on. One and done -- I'm too old for this! We have some friends who are planning on more, so at least we have a place to put this stuff other than the attic or the back basement.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheMadMilkman posted:

Take video too. Being able to hear their voices later is great.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My dad caught my younger brother swearing on his 3rd birthday party and it totally justified him renting a huge late 90s video camera.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/05/the-curse-of-an-open-floor-plan/560561/

quote:

Openness and continuity might have been modernist aspirations for the spirit as much as the body, but just as the open-plan office created the oppression of constant oversight in the name of collaboration, so the open-plan home merged the duties of hostess, butler, cook, and childcare provider. And despite its promise of relaxation and conversation, open-plan living has actually combined leisure with labor. When the two fuse, work wins in the end, converting recreation back into obligation

quote:

That is why one company, Schumacher Homes of Akron, Ohio, has a fresh new design on offer: a house with an open floor plan, with its kitchen, dining area, and living room all flowing into one another. But then, behind the first kitchen, lies another. A “messy” kitchen. There, the preparation for or remainders from a meal or party can be deposited for later cleanup, out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

:psyduck:

sure, that's the right solution

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 18, 2018

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

4 kitchens on the edge of a house. One falls off and another kitchen takes the place of the first.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Duggar house has something like that. Commercial canteen in the back, "show kitchen" facing the living room.

ps flat open island kitchens are evil. Get yourself a little half wall or suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

peanut posted:

The Duggar house has something like that. Commercial canteen in the back, "show kitchen" facing the living room.

ps flat open island kitchens are evil. Get yourself a little half wall or suffer.

gently caress half-walls. Kitchens need to be rooms. All an open concept kitchen is good for is getting a thin layer of grease on everything you own when the woefully undersized (and probably recirculating) hood can't keep up with any amount of actual cooking beyond making mac & cheese.

Gimme a kichen that's got walls and a commercial-grade hood.