Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Nebakenezzer posted:

Tarp talk pleases me, friends

Actual question about WW2 tarps: were they all canvas or did they have plastic ones, too?

Canvas mostly. Some (like raincoats and ponchos were) were coated in a type of synthetic resin since rubber (the way rain gear and water resistant stuff used to be made) was in high demand for tires and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Symetrique posted:

If you replace every part of a tank except the tarp, is it still the same tank??

Only if it's German.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

Only if it's German.

Please update that talk you had with MHV to include tarp details, thanks

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Rope Rocket assembled! Time to rope it up and make some rope, rope-style.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Schadenboner posted:

Maybe heat fresh ones up? I think the softener is more-or-less in a wax matrix that melts off with the dryer heat, this will give you the consistency of a used one without some of the potential ickyness?

It's possible. If I had to do it over again, I would just take some used ones from the dryer and iron them flat to make furled sails. That said, the worn, wrinkly texture of a used sheet is phenomenal for worn fabric like tarps or even battleworn flags.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The modelling news covers Japan's biggest annual hobby show

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

From the Bandai section:

:derp::derp::derp:

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo new tool Mirage 4000. Also, never heard of Modelsvit, are they any good?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So my first second third fourth fifth sixth seventh eighth attempt with the Rope Rocket turned out some great results. This is 12 strand rope (probably technically a cable at this point), but it came out very nice. The Rit clothing dye worked quite well too.

Definitely takes a light touch and some practice to get the feel of the tension between the heads. My first several attempts resulted in snapped threads. Then it was threads that had twisted up on themselves, which I think was due to differing tensions on the individual threads. This last attempt turned out pretty good though.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Poorly lit WIP of a Dragon/DML Fokker Dr.I.

Gonna finish it soon, hopefully. The fit on the kit was pretty rough, and it seemed like there was always something going wrong. I'm happy with the way the propeller turned out though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So my first second third fourth fifth sixth seventh eighth attempt with the Rope Rocket turned out some great results. This is 12 strand rope (probably technically a cable at this point), but it came out very nice. The Rit clothing dye worked quite well too.

Definitely takes a light touch and some practice to get the feel of the tension between the heads. My first several attempts resulted in snapped threads. Then it was threads that had twisted up on themselves, which I think was due to differing tensions on the individual threads. This last attempt turned out pretty good though.

That turned out great! Chuck is going to miss you buying all his rope for your projects though. :v:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Locator posted:

That turned out great! Chuck is going to miss you buying all his rope for your projects though. :v:

I'll step up in a couple of months. I don't really have the space to run a rope making operation where I live so he needn't fret.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fearless posted:

I'll step up in a couple of months. I don't really have the space to run a rope making operation where I live so he needn't fret.

I don't really either. What I did was set up one head on the kitchen counter, and then set up my ironing board 10 feet away and put the other head on that. That was the only way I could get enough working length to make some rope of decent length.

Necessity is the mother of invention!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't really either. What I did was set up one head on the kitchen counter, and then set up my ironing board 10 feet away and put the other head on that. That was the only way I could get enough working length to make some rope of decent length.

Necessity is the mother of invention!

Heh. Chuck, who makes craploads of rope for his business makes it by stretching it down a hallway!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Symetrique posted:

Gonna finish it soon, hopefully. The fit on the kit was pretty rough, and it seemed like there was always something going wrong. I'm happy with the way the propeller turned out though.

Are you saying that prop isn't really wood!?

:monocle:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

From the Bandai section:

:derp::derp::derp:

I built the very old (ERTL?) kit ages ago, before I knew how to build models at all.

It didn't turn out great.

This could be a good chance to redeem myself.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

All those Robotech models are making me feel super nostalgic

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Symetrique posted:

The propeller is amazing, how did you do it?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Amazing rope. You need to do a photo like this, then put something like a staple or paperclip in the shot to blow people's minds.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Vaporware posted:

Amazing rope. You need to do a photo like this, then put something like a staple or paperclip in the shot to blow people's minds.

I have a plan to make a bottle of Tamiya paint a foot high for exactly this purpose.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

The propeller is amazing, how did you do it?

Thanks! Still working on getting the technique just right. Its basically the same as the method Plasmo uses to paint his props.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_dszpr5iY4&t=224s

The difference is that after painting a light tan base coat, I use Prisma watercolor/aquarelle pencils for the darker layers. The watercolor pencils are less messy than oils, and the lines between the layers of wood can easily be tidied up with a damp brush. I follow that with a clear coat, and streak some umber oil paint over it. Once that dries, I use Tamiya clear orange and yellow to give the prop a more varnished look.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Unkempt posted:

I have a plan to make a bottle of Tamiya paint a foot high for exactly this purpose.

Brilliant!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Then post it next to a standard bottle and claim it's a miniaturized one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lilljonas posted:

I built the very old (ERTL?) kit ages ago, before I knew how to build models at all.

It didn't turn out great.

This could be a good chance to redeem myself.

The Bandai kits are infinitely better than the Ertl and Revell stuff that came before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

The Bandai kits are infinitely better than the Ertl and Revell stuff that came before.

It's why Revell cried to Papa Disney about people importing Bandai Star Wars kits from Japan instead of buying theirs and put a stop to them being easily exported.

Tough poo poo for them now though; Bluefin got a legitimate license to bring the Bandai kits overseas.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's why Revell cried to Papa Disney about people importing Bandai Star Wars kits from Japan instead of buying theirs and put a stop to them being easily exported.

Tough poo poo for them now though; Bluefin got a legitimate license to bring the Bandai kits overseas.

Revell is out of business as of a couple of weeks ago too.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Revell is out of business as of a couple of weeks ago too.

Was the business model of reboxing Zvezda kits and selling them at twice the price not sustainable?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Was the business model of reboxing Zvezda kits and selling them at twice the price not sustainable?

Hobbico, who had owned Revell Germany and Revell US for several years, went bankrupt. Blitz bought Revell Germany and Revell US after that and closed the US company. Presumably Revell Germany will take the tooling and produce some of the old Revell US kits again. Hasegawa and Italeri are probably SOL though.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 15, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Who's gonna make the old Matchbox kits now then? :ohdear:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Midjack posted:

Hasegawa and Italeri are probably SOL though.

How are Hasegawa and Italeri tied in?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

How are Hasegawa and Italeri tied in?

Hobbico was their sole US distributor.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Italeri can just sneak it through the Tamiya reboxes. Hasegawa is screwed, although their US prices were high enough that ordering from Japan was a better option.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Symetrique posted:

Italeri can just sneak it through the Tamiya reboxes. Hasegawa is screwed, although their US prices were high enough that ordering from Japan was a better option.

I've never understood this - Hasegawa is always about double. I mean, I get higher quality and everything...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've never understood this - Hasegawa is always about double. I mean, I get higher quality and everything...

Importers price gouge, water wet. This is the experience with importing anything that has ever existed and been on sale in Australia.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

This applies to basically all Japanese brands. For example, my local hobby shop stocks GSI creos tools. A file sells for $20-25. Ordering it directly from Japan is $8 + $4~ for small packet shipping. Tamiya pricing is also ridiculous. A 1/72 kit for $30, when you can get them on Amazon from Japanese sellers for less than half of that.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Note: quality not necessarily higher. Specifically they have a bad habit of reboxing 80s molds with new decals as a "limited edition" and selling it at new tooling prices.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In 1/72 scale their ground vehicle kits are pretty much top dog. Trumpeter are the only manufacturer that come close, but even they don't have rolling wheels on metal axles as standard.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I think I'm just gonna call this done, unless someone spots something I should fix.

DML/Dragon 1/48 Fokker Dr.I

Streaking was done with olive drab oil paint over a clear doped linen color. I used rigging material from Infini, with stretched cotton bud turnbuckles, and eyelets from quickboost.

The Eduard kit is probably a better buy, this kit had quite a few issues that kept destroying my motivation to finish it.

Photo album here

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst issue 44

We get to cover and kit out in brass the port side of the forward deck structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Are the techniques and advise for rigging wooden ships applicable to plastic ones as well? My girl got me the Revell Constitution for my birthday and I'm a bit hesitant to even start it. I'd assume that the rigging it comes with is also garbage?