Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

At least Lassie was played by an actual Collie instead of a Golden Retriever. #Progress #Represent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

Coronation Street has 9,451 episodes as of today so I'm fairly sure it counts as the longest running TV show ever

Meet the Press has been on since 1948, I think probably has the most episodes of anything ever but its a new show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mooseontheloose posted:

Meet the Press has been on since 1948, I think probably has the most episodes of anything ever but its a new show.

If you're going with non-prime TV shows, the US soap opera Guiding Light had 15,762 episodes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

Coronation Street has 9,451 episodes as of today so I'm fairly sure it counts as the longest running TV show ever

9454 since 1960. What's more significant is that Bill Roache has appeared in 2385 of them, starting with episode 1. It's the longest period across which any actor has played the same character, and the most appearances as the same character - one ahead of fellow Corrie alumnus Helen Worth, although she's taken 14 years less to do them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

kupachek posted:

Face it, the females were too smart to do the dangerous stunts so they used males who wouldn't question it. Such is life.

It’s funny you say that. According to the quote I pulled they did actually use female dogs as stunt doubles.

Why does a dog need a stunt double? Why wouldn’t you get a dog capable of doing the stunts in the first place? Is there really such a gulf in the acting abilities of the two dogs? All great questions

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

fruit on the bottom posted:

It’s funny you say that. According to the quote I pulled they did actually use female dogs as stunt doubles.

Why does a dog need a stunt double? Why wouldn’t you get a dog capable of doing the stunts in the first place? Is there really such a gulf in the acting abilities of the two dogs? All great questions

Same reason people need stunt doubles. You don't want to risk your lead doing dumb stuff, and it's easier to teach different dogs different tricks/skills than have one super dog that can do everything.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Some dogs excel at particular behaviors. Some will be stronger swimmers, some better at plank/log walking, those sorts of things.

Chuck Eisenmann , the trainer for The Littlest Hobo, would select them for scenes based on which was most capable to do something like jump through a car window, carry objects (like the rifle by it's sling).

I remember reading an article about him once that mentioned him yelling at and antagonizing the dogs on set, but literally everything else about him and his methods are a positive glowing endorsement. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if most of the other trainers of the era were awful though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Let's talk about Moose from Frasier now!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SEX BURRITO posted:

You don’t have to look through old Lassie episodes to see some dog dick. There are plenty of dog dick photos online. I won’t judge.

I hope they reboot Lassie with a female, or at least female-identifying, dog.

I own boy dogs and a girl dog I know what they look like I just want to know if they have the famous lassie dong on any clips you weirdo

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

I own boy dogs and a girl dog I know what they look like I just want to know if they have the famous lassie dong on any clips you weirdo

Behind the scenes red rocket action, I get your drift.

You couldn’t show a toilet on TV back then. They probably groomed Lassie’s hair specifically to hide dog dick.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Yeah, we know what your deal is.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Aesop Poprock posted:

just curious for laughs haha

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now, Mr Ed is another story

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now, Mr Ed is another story

You mean Mr Ed's dong was hidden by Lassie... oh my :ohdear: That explains all the crossovers...

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Show me the dead transvestite dogs dick and we won’t have to talk about it ever again

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure this inspired me to watch the new Bad Lieutenant: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/bad-lieutenant-movie/1/

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Show me the dead transvestite dogs dick and we won’t have to talk about it ever again

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Watching an episode of M*A*S*H that really hasn’t aged well. A nurse is upset because she’s a 28 year old virgin and the other nurses all boycott sex with their married superior officers until someone finally agrees to screw this woman.

When your parents complain how TV today is so degenerate...

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure this inspired me to watch the new Bad Lieutenant: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/bad-lieutenant-movie/1/

quote:

6. More than one consecutive minute of a man staring into the camera

Werner Herzog does this in every single one of his films

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
That reminds me of an episode of a TV show called Down the Shore from the 90s where a character is taunting a female roommate about how he and her sister are going to have sex when she turns 18 in a few days/hours.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

trickybiscuits posted:

I assume you mean him personally, correct?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

trickybiscuits posted:

Herzog makes his films in such a way that suggests that he's completely hostile to the idea of viewing films. In his earlier films this manifests in the strange imagery, long silences, and the weird ethics of how the films got made. His documentaries add existential dread. It's like "you want to watch a film; I resent this impulse, so I will attempt to drive you to suicide."

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I haven't seen it on TV in forever, but I'm sure the old MTV show Undressed has aged like cottage cheese.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Watching an episode of M*A*S*H that really hasn’t aged well. A nurse is upset because she’s a 28 year old virgin and the other nurses all boycott sex with their married superior officers until someone finally agrees to screw this woman.

When your parents complain how TV today is so degenerate...

Probably best if you don't read the novel, I think you'd be very shocked.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JediTalentAgent posted:

That reminds me of an episode of a TV show called Down the Shore from the 90s where a character is taunting a female roommate about how he and her sister are going to have sex when she turns 18 in a few days/hours.

Ugh now I just remember the weird obsession with the Olsen twins turning 18.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There were several countdowns to young actress turning 18, Emma Watson, Chloe Moretz, Dakota Fanning, pretty much every single Disney Idol

The Internet was never not creepy

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Samuringa posted:

There were several countdowns to young actress turning 18, Emma Watson, Chloe Moretz, Dakota Fanning, pretty much every single Disney Idol

People were doing this poo poo on drive time radio before the internet was invented

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
I could swear I remember a MADTV sketch about a fictional Olsen Twins movie where all the adults in the movie were counting down to midnight on their 18th birthday so they could immediately lunge at them.

oh hey here it is actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgVxiAc2RxU

I mean it's pointing out how creepy that kind of thing is but that ending is rough.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

Probably best if you don't read the novel, I think you'd be very shocked.

Probably not. The Greatest Generation were a bunch of pervs who happened to defeat Nazis.

I’m really not sure how we equated the ‘good ol’days’ with morality. poo poo is much more uptight now.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Wafer posted:

Probably not. The Greatest Generation were a bunch of pervs who happened to defeat Nazis.

I’m really not sure how we equated the ‘good ol’days’ with morality. poo poo is much more uptight now.

Janet Jackson's boob ruined tv for all of us.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The good ol days were good because there were no black people or any other minorities and women stayed home and old dudes miss that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Also one person could work one job and support an entire family

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

One of the biggest differences is that YouTube exists now. I guarantee you they did all the same kinds of stupid poo poo that we did because, well, humans gonna human.

Probably the biggest reason things are more uptight now is because, you know, AIDS. Somebody ran the numbers and it turns out that Gen X, Gen Y, and Millenials are having fewer sexual partners on average than previous generations and are being way safer about sex in general. Of course the Greatest Generation also had to deal with horrifying bacterial STDs before we developed all the antibiotic cures we have now that gently caress them up so I think they slept around less as well. That and the Great Depression screwed them up a lot in various ways.

Even so acting like any generation always saved themselves for marriage down to the individual, never cheated, never had affairs, and never got up to the kinds of shenanigans people do now is absurd. In those days it was a huge scandal if that stuff came out so it was kept hidden as hell when it inevitably happened. We didn't have everybody walking around with a camera on hand at all times so it was harder to prove it. One of the changes now is that we're acknowledging the fact that most people actually don't want total monogamy in a lifelong heterosexual relationship and we're fine with it.

People that act like we're in some kind of moral freefall because *gasp* PEOPLE ARE HAVING SEX WITH MORE THAN ONE PERSON IN THEIR LIVES!!!! :derp: are trying to sell you on authoritarianism.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Lindsay Lohan got a Rolling Stone cover saying something like "guess who's legal?"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lindsay Lohan got a Rolling Stone cover saying something like "guess who's legal?"

Close:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

AFter the brass eye episode about paedophillia that the daily mail didn't watch but criticised anyway on the very next page they'd a picture of charlotte church who was 16 talking about her tits. So hosed.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

My thoughts exactly. I don't think basic human behaviour has changed much for a very long time, it's just that things are a lot more open these days with the kind of technology we have to record and share things.

I always roll my eyes when some old person complains about young people. I roll my eyes doubly so when they complain about young people complaining.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

EmmyOk posted:

AFter the brass eye episode about paedophillia that the daily mail didn't watch but criticised anyway on the very next page they'd a picture of charlotte church who was 16 talking about her tits. So hosed.

It was the Scum Sun, and she was 15

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

My thoughts exactly. I don't think basic human behaviour has changed much for a very long time, it's just that things are a lot more open these days with the kind of technology we have to record and share things.

I always roll my eyes when some old person complains about young people. I roll my eyes doubly so when they complain about young people complaining.

I've actually heard multiple old people talk about how terrible kids are today with all of their sex and rap music and disgraceful, unsafe behavior then less than an hour later talk about how when they were 17 they'd drive drunk and have all kinds of extra-marital sex while listening to rock music. It's really baffling to hear somebody talk about the moral freefall of modern society then revel in the fact that they were actually worse when they were teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I feel very different about this now than I did when I was 12