Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

dragonshardz posted:

I would use CraftTweaker for this instead of whatever JSON based recipe thing you're using. Check out the documentation - it supports proper scripting so you should be able to do the thing you want to do.

that looks pretty cool, though i'm a bit wary of making my recipes dependent on another mod to work. i'll definitely look into it, and see if i want to use it or at least see how its recipes work. thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
The recipe methods aren't even marked as deprecated, and they seem to be fairly good about doing that for old methods you're not supposed to call anymore.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about them removing them. There are a bunch of mods even on 1.12 that still don't use the JSON recipe junk. And at the very least, there's almost certainly always going to be an internal method of some sort at least to add recipes that their JSON loader is using. It would be silly not to expose it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
did they add more ways to get blaze powder in sevtech that i've managed to all miss completely in my ~20 minutes of exploring the nether

e: finally found a blaze spawner but if there's something easier i missed i'd be happy to know about it

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 12, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

astral sorcery has some balance issues

thank you Bootes ritual for unlimited power and mana

President Ark
May 16, 2010

whose brilliant idea was it to make netherrack in a millstone sound like a bunch of whiny puppies that desperately need to take a poo poo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

President Ark posted:

whose brilliant idea was it to make netherrack in a millstone sound like a bunch of whiny puppies that desperately need to take a poo poo

it's actually a lot nicer than it was, because it used to be the ghast "getting hurt" noise at maximum volume

all the same:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It's also fun to solve the problem with resource packs: https://youtu.be/b9iFPRVYYkQ

President Ark
May 16, 2010

okay google isn't very helpful, how exactly does the bellows work? there's a bunch of nonsense about redstone clocks and turntables and i'm really not getting what i'm supposed to do to make this work

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

President Ark posted:

okay google isn't very helpful, how exactly does the bellows work? there's a bunch of nonsense about redstone clocks and turntables and i'm really not getting what i'm supposed to do to make this work

Whenever the bellows gets mechanical power it contracts, so you need to alternate its power on and off to keep it stoking the flame. Giving a gearbox a redstone signal shuts it off which is why most people suggest some kind of redstone clock into the gearbox powering the bellows.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

as someone who's never really hosed around with it, how do i go about making a clock

e: nevermind, figured it out

President Ark fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 12, 2018

President Ark
May 16, 2010

so it took me like an hour of wandering to find a citadel for blaze powder from one of the naturally occurring nether portals, and now i've finally gotten steel and made my own and i go through and wouldn't you loving know it the nether portal i built puts me directly inside a citadel :mad:

is it possible for a video game to have a sense of humor because by god it feels like minecraft is mocking me right now

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 12, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

astral sorcery has some balance issues

thank you Bootes ritual for unlimited power and mana

...I thought it just made, like, feathers and wool drop. Not meat.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

...I thought it just made, like, feathers and wool drop. Not meat.

nope, the animals also shed bits of their flesh

chickens in particular drop entire broiler/fryers, which is quite disturbing

but hey the flowers don't care, though i wish they'd stop calling me seymore

President Ark
May 16, 2010

does it make them drop the things that get turned into leather, because i'm coming up on the stage where i'm gonna need a shitload of it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

President Ark posted:

does it make them drop the things that get turned into leather, because i'm coming up on the stage where i'm gonna need a shitload of it

theoretically, but i haven't tried it

from what i can tell it drops the drops that you'd get if the animal was killed

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Playing Blightfall for the nostalgia. I don't remember the Tinker's Construct stuff taking so long to get going. To make casting molds I need gold, to get gold I need bronze. After lots and lots of searching I finally found 3 copper ore and 3 tin ore, enough to make... 8 ingots worth of molten bronze. drat it. It shouldn't be that much of a slog to find a few more copper, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. Any tips?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I've recently started Blightfall for the first time, am I just meant to brave the blight at the start, or is there a trick to neutralizing it early? I don't remember seeing anything in the guide.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I regretted my world gen options in a save file and now I'm trying to copy/paste my base into a new world with the proper options. However, it's a modded world, and even using the most recent version of MCEdit (tried both 1 and 2), I can't seem to get mod blocks to stay consistent, despite both worlds using the exact same modpack with the exact same config. Any time I copy/paste or export/import my base to the new world, any modded blocks are seemingly randomized to others, so my stained wood planks turn into ardite blocks and my quark birch trapdoors are now psi crafting tables.

Is there any reliable way to do this? Is there some option in MCedit I'm missing? Or am I just SoL?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ariong posted:

Playing Blightfall for the nostalgia. I don't remember the Tinker's Construct stuff taking so long to get going. To make casting molds I need gold, to get gold I need bronze. After lots and lots of searching I finally found 3 copper ore and 3 tin ore, enough to make... 8 ingots worth of molten bronze. drat it. It shouldn't be that much of a slog to find a few more copper, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. Any tips?

can't you buy it through quests

just turn in some cookies and get rep or something

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MaliciousOnion posted:

I've recently started Blightfall for the first time, am I just meant to brave the blight at the start, or is there a trick to neutralizing it early? I don't remember seeing anything in the guide.

The trick is to steal everything that is not nailed down. In the beginning you'll just have to brave it, but once you start exploring points of interests, they'll invariably have the ethereal bloom thingers that you can steal and use to start pushing back the blight near your base.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

can't you buy it through quests

just turn in some cookies and get rep or something

Ah, that will do the trick!

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Ariong posted:

You are supposed to start with Prometheum - the alien metal you can mine with flint under the plains. It can mine soft metal, which will get you Oureclase. Oureclase can be found under the swamps, and can mine gold and above. (Hard metal). Remember that you can also use aluminum ore to make molds, and I think that’s one of two uses for it, whereas gold has way more utility.

One you find tech ores, you can request singular ingots from the supplier for minor rep. hits. Once you get a basic TiCon smelter up, you can smelt cobble, which will give you seared ingots, or seared blocks, which you can build out your smelter. Alternatively, there is a village near bio dome beta, which has a full TiCon smelter you can rip apart and claim, if you can brave the village guards and villagers.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Brave the mad sprint to the scouting points, and pick up the ethereal blooms. After blooms, dawn totems and purity focus are king, all the way until dawn machine, which is decidedly end game. Don’t worry about cleaning the world with blooms - just use them to clear enough space for base growth. Blooms do a poor job of missing underground taint, so even if the surface is clear, you may be missing underground corruption.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

MaliciousOnion posted:

you'll pretty much be braving it at the start. even after that you gotta get used to knowing how to best travel since a HUGE PART of the pack is exploring and, as said, stealing nearly everything you find that isn't nailed down. stay off of the fibrous taint patches as much as you can and hopping around a fair bit can help mitigate taint buildup on you.

i really should play through blightfall again, it's such a good pack

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dalaram posted:

You are supposed to start with Prometheum - the alien metal you can mine with flint under the plains. It can mine soft metal, which will get you Oureclase. Oureclase can be found under the swamps, and can mine gold and above. (Hard metal). Remember that you can also use aluminum ore to make molds, and I think that’s one of two uses for it, whereas gold has way more utility.

One you find tech ores, you can request singular ingots from the supplier for minor rep. hits. Once you get a basic TiCon smelter up, you can smelt cobble, which will give you seared ingots, or seared blocks, which you can build out your smelter. Alternatively, there is a village near bio dome beta, which has a full TiCon smelter you can rip apart and claim, if you can brave the village guards and villagers.

I've had a promethium pick for a while, but I have yet to find any oureclase or aluminum. I went ahead and requisitioned one copper ingot, which give me enough bronze to cast a block, which I sued to make a bronze pick. Now I just have to find some gold or aluminum. I didn't know you could smelt cobble to make seared stuff, that's cool!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh man, just when I thought I'd seen it all. The recipe for a draconium ingot in Crimson Skies uses the loving Embers alchemy pedestal. As in, the thing that you need ash for. The thing you cannot automate under any circumstances, to the best of my knowledge. The ash comes from Forestry, which is made from bees, smelting peat, or in bulk from the charcoal pit multiblock (which is actually really nice, but it also cannot be automated very well.)

It ain't gregtech new horizons but gently caress.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That's a real shame. Crimson Skies seemed pretty novel and a lot lighter than most skyblocks. I was hoping it wouldn't end in the same grind.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ariong posted:

Requisition the poo poo out of tech metals. Make a good sized field of Barley for turning in bread for the 256 loaves quest(not Wheat, because Barley seeds are a good source of Permutatio), I've got two 9x9 patches of Barley and that's enough. Crank out batches of bread and shove them into the quest book for rep and then buy tech metals as needed. I've requisitioned most of the stuff I've needed to do the Engineer quests and between the rep from the quests and my reputation income from my bread farm, I haven't taken any real hit to my reputation score and still have plenty to requisition whatever I like.

The worst part is unlocking the damned things, finding your first of each tech metal is one of the roughest parts of the modpack. If you can stomach it, put your first two gold towards a Thaumometer - the quest to make one in The Paranormalist chapter is what unlocks requisitioning gold and iron tools, which you can shove into a Smeltery. Axe and Pickaxe smelt into 3 ingots worth of material, and it means you can freely requisition gold and iron. At that point, you've got the materaisl needed to make an iron hammer and really get off to the races. If you're having trouble finding the metals and getting sick of looking, just cheat in one of each ore so you can requisition them.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Definitely brave it at the start. Get full up on hunger and saturation and just BOOK IT. TiCon Longsword helps, charging up the right click, jumping, and loosing the right click pounce can get you up 3 block vertical jumps easily and does a ton to make traversing the world easier.

Do scouting points and, as others have said, take everything useful. A half dozen ethereal blooms is enough to clear out and fence off a reasonable expansion for your base to be able to get a good crop/tree farm going, or you can stick to the cylinder of space above/below your dome, as that's all more or less guaranteed to be purified permanently. Requisition seeds and saplings for food variety, the reputation score is a resource meant to be used, not hoarded. Once you get good Barley and Wood farms going to crank out bread by the stack, you'll have a pretty good income of reputation and won't need to worry too much about it.

If you get through the Thaumcraft quests, one of the later quests involves turning in 10 Ethereal Blooms and getting 20 back, and that does a lot for helping you start purifying the area around your dome. Here's where I'm at, relatively early into the pack, but I've got the 20 Ethereal Blooms quest done and have been just juggling all the blooms around to slowly expand the borders of my clean zone. I'm getting ready to start making Dawn Totems in the near future, so I think I'm hitting early/mid-game, roughly.

If you've got Archives, I made a Blightfall Thread when it was new and was devouring the modded minecraft thread and drowning everything else out. The first couple pages have a bunch of newbie guides, and there's lots of chatter from all of us as we explored the pack.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
So I've been in console minecraft land for a long time now. Playing it on switch is lovely but I'm looking for something to play on my lunch breaks at work now. I've downloaded sevtech and it seems really good but not necessarily suited to shortish (1 hour) play sessions.

I'd like a relatively modern modpack with some kind of progression that I can play in shorter spurts. I used to love your skyblocks but posting in the last few pages has suggested they might not be quite what they used to be. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This is a spoiler but I don't care because it pissed me off for a long time: tomatoes can be found on a farm halfway up the mountain where it splits in two around the magical forest biome. There is no way to get tomato seeds from a requisition bag.

Edit: also now I kinda want to play it again from the snow biome this time.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 14, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

That's a real shame. Crimson Skies seemed pretty novel and a lot lighter than most skyblocks. I was hoping it wouldn't end in the same grind.

Oh, it's grindy right from the start. Smelting a metal ore gives you one nugget, not one ingot. You don't unlock ore -> ingot or ore -> 2 ingots until you get the IE crusher (and the tinker's smeltery that the crusher unlocks.)

Black Pants posted:

This is a spoiler but I don't care because it pissed me off for a long time: tomatoes can be found on a farm halfway up the mountain where it splits in two around the magical forest biome. There is no way to get tomato seeds from a requisition bag.

Aren't there multiple food items that are like this?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Aren't there multiple food items that are like this?

Probably, but this one was a combination of really difficult to come across (for me at least, I didn't find it until I'd been dawn-machine cleaning the magical forest) and how much I wanted tomatoes for all the high-satiation items they are in. Pizza and spaghetti are two off the top of my head.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Trip report: Apparently you can connect a Phantomface to the Embers alchemy Exchange Tablet. I was then able to attach a hopper to the phantomface and successfully insert an item into it. Maybe with enough Integrated Dynamics jiggerypokery I can actually automate this...

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Uh... is there any mods currently infamous for inexplicably regenerating a world? Because my little thaumcraft + mods pack just regened and my six or so hours of stuff is gone without it touching my inventory.

:negative:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Thyrork posted:

Uh... is there any mods currently infamous for inexplicably regenerating a world? Because my little thaumcraft + mods pack just regened and my six or so hours of stuff is gone without it touching my inventory.

Does Thaumcraft include a config option for how world regen is handled? That would be the first one I looked at, since it's early in a high state of flux, and obviously includes oregen

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Lycanites is just as bad in in COTT 2 as it's ever been. It baffles me that people still bother with it. They spend too much time glitching out on terrain and being hideous eyesores to be a threat in this pack.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Thyrork posted:

I don't actually know what happened to you, but this sounds like a mod had some sort of corruption error in a chunk or chunks, and it caused the world to be reset to its original state in the affected chunks. Without knowing what other mods you have going, I'm going to assume it's Thaumcraft just because of how raw it is.

Did you do any digging around in those chunks? Like, did you have a basement dug under your base or something? Go check if that's still there. If it isn't then chunk corruption is probably what happened.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The overworld has been restored to default, twilight forest and nether is unaffected. :raise:

Configs suggest nothing obvious, so yeah, i guess it regenned the world due to a bad chunk. :shrug: Is that a new feature in MC? It's been awhile since I last played.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Summary of COTT 2: Lycanites, still a bad and dumb mod. Shock!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I don't really like Lycanites, but it's no Infernal Mobs. Oh wait Infernal Mobs is also in COTT2, whelp

I wonder if it'll crash if I just delete that stupid POS mod

E: Looking at the config file, it doesn't look like it does randomly generated mob modifiers, so maybe it will be less atrocious here.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Toadsmash posted:

Summary of COTT 2: Lycanites, still a bad and dumb mod. Shock!
Lycanites is absolute garbage, looks ugly, uses monsters from other series, makes no attempt to fit in, has useless drops, broken AI, no balance, the list goes on. There's nothing I can possibly think of to recommend about it. Nothing works right and all the items are as bad as the mobs. Zero stars.