Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

he1ixx posted:

And me, like a dummy, lost him on my first mission... I thought it was over and parked his Spyder with broken left side armor in the end zone while two tanks fired salves of missiles onto... his left side. Oh well, that's what second (and third...) playthroughs are for. I'm loving the pace of combat in this one so far.

Dekker's my hero pilot sprinting around in an AC-20+++ Yen Lo Wang build. I have him guard that right arm like it's a priceless relic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I beat the game with Glitch in the SLDF Highlander set up with Gauss + LRMs Behemoth in a Highlander with SRM 18, full medium lasers and machine guns, main character in an Orion LRM boat and Dekker in a Grasshopper with 7 med lasers, 4 small lasers and 2 MGs. It was incredibly easy. Only thing that happened in the first part was my main character took a shot in the dome and had to sit out for part 2. Since you get you know who in you know what, I just ran with that person plus Glitch, Behemoth and Dekker. Glitch had two headshots in the first two rounds an assault mech I don't even remember exactly what it was since it died so fast and Viktoria in her King Crab and then we mopped up the others. It was very anti-climatic.

Then afterwards, in my first mission driving the Atlas II that I'd decked out with dual AC 20s and SRMs my main character gets headshot by an opposing AC 20. I hope my luck gets better in that thing! That fight was a random contract and was way harder with just 3 people against multiple highlanders, stalkers and zeus but I managed to pull it out.

The game is fun enough that I'm still playing even though the story is done, that's always a good sign.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Now into Year 4 of the campaign. Still haven't gotten around to doing Grave Robber. Dekker is alive and spends most of his time in the LRM60 Jagermech.

Game good. Robots explode nice.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Xarbala posted:

This is also why I already have a Clanbuster King Crab.

post a screenshot of this, please

action shot or the mechlab, your choice, but I guess I'd prefer the mechlab both :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 14, 2018

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
well glitch is dead, turns out i should focus those stupid tanks with a billion weapons on them sooner. (seriously how does a tank fit a PPC and LRM 10 and enough heat sinks to fire them every round but my 30 ton mech can't)

as soon as she got knocked down, every single mech in the area came over to give her a mech kick.

it was like american history X: 3177 edition

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Razzled posted:

well glitch is dead, turns out i should focus those stupid tanks with a billion weapons on them sooner. (seriously how does a tank fit a PPC and LRM 10 and enough heat sinks to fire them every round but my 30 ton mech can't)

as soon as she got knocked down, every single mech in the area came over to give her a mech kick.

The tank is nothing but those guns, heatsinks, and treads, while your mech is a giant engine, actuators, structure, synthetic muscles, neurocomputer so one man can operate it, rockets so it can fly, etc etc.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Also vehicles can be as large as small mechs they just don't look it.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I finished the storyline over the weekend.

As a long-time Battletech TTG and MechWarrior fan (and first-day backer of this game), the game was really good. Checked a lot of boxes for me. Definitely a solid return to the world of turn-based mechblasting. It's also a great starting point for additional games/DLC.

There were definitely some drawbacks.

I wish there would have been a wider variety of mechs. Felt like I only ever encountered Shadow Hawks and Wolverines when fighting mediums and Thunderbolts and Jagermechs when fighting heavies. I know part of that is RNG, but of it is the game also being limited to only 10 to 12 genuinely unique Medium and Heavy chassis.

With the way the game is structured now, it seems like the "get up close and blast AC20s at everyone" scheme is pretty much the default tactic, with LRM boats sprinkled in for flavor. I think this is due to a lack of genuine ranged brackets and difficulty seeing/targeting people at anything beyond like 200 meters. I think that expanding LOS, making min range penalties actually matter, and applying more stringent range brackets (a la tabletop) might help.

I also think that Evasion blips should be permanent until knockdown/next move and should not be stripped off by fire. I think that might help with making Lights and Mediums more worth using. I might try playing with a mod that does this.

Finally, the story, while well told and presented, was pretty unengaging. I just couldn't really bring myself to care about a noble's struggle to retake their birthright. I understand that this is pretty much what all of pre-3050 BT is about, though. This is also why I like stuff after the Clans were introduced.

That was a lot more words about negatives than positives, but I genuinely enjoyed the game and think it's great. Will be replaying it often and am really looking forward to more.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Also vehicles can be as large as small mechs they just don't look it.

Yeah, I scaled the mechs down to 1.0 from 1.25 in the data files, and it is much more reasonable.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Does that screw with melee animations?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DrPop posted:

I finished the storyline over the weekend.

As a long-time Battletech TTG and MechWarrior fan (and first-day backer of this game), the game was really good. Checked a lot of boxes for me. Definitely a solid return to the world of turn-based mechblasting. It's also a great starting point for additional games/DLC.

There were definitely some drawbacks.

I wish there would have been a wider variety of mechs. Felt like I only ever encountered Shadow Hawks and Wolverines when fighting mediums and Thunderbolts and Jagermechs when fighting heavies. I know part of that is RNG, but of it is the game also being limited to only 10 to 12 genuinely unique Medium and Heavy chassis.

With the way the game is structured now, it seems like the "get up close and blast AC20s at everyone" scheme is pretty much the default tactic, with LRM boats sprinkled in for flavor. I think this is due to a lack of genuine ranged brackets and difficulty seeing/targeting people at anything beyond like 200 meters. I think that expanding LOS, making min range penalties actually matter, and applying more stringent range brackets (a la tabletop) might help.

I also think that Evasion blips should be permanent until knockdown/next move and should not be stripped off by fire. I think that might help with making Lights and Mediums more worth using. I might try playing with a mod that does this.

Finally, the story, while well told and presented, was pretty unengaging. I just couldn't really bring myself to care about a noble's struggle to retake their birthright. I understand that this is pretty much what all of pre-3050 BT is about, though. This is also why I like stuff after the Clans were introduced.

That was a lot more words about negatives than positives, but I genuinely enjoyed the game and think it's great. Will be replaying it often and am really looking forward to more.

You should be able to edit sight and sensor range easily in json, but the maps aren't really big enough to make that worth doing imo.

The ranges on weapons are actually the exact ranges from TT for the most part, they just out the Short Range bracket. You can add that in (I did).

There is a mod for making evasion not strip already, but I would suggest not using that (it represents hails or fire you can't dodge). I made some heavy edits to the evasion and to hit system that adds a lot of utility and survival power to lights and mediums, posted them a few pages back.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does that screw with melee animations?

If it does, it's not enough that I've noticed or cared.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

DrPop posted:

I wasn't crazy about this part either. It got a lot more interesting for me to play when I decided my character was just really mad about Montgomery and was willing to take down a government in revenge, though. Kamea was hard to care about.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
If I'm not (yet) willing to edit data files to just straight grab Mechs I want, are there ways to help me complete a chassis I'm hunting? Hints like a particular model tending to show up in particular missions or regions of space or worlds with X quality?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
How do I take out random head hits? As in reduce them to a 0% chance to happen?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been balancing it with wanting to help out someone else who also got backstabbed like my dude with "I loving love winning" and "gently caress you pay me".

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

If I'm not (yet) willing to edit data files to just straight grab Mechs I want, are there ways to help me complete a chassis I'm hunting? Hints like a particular model tending to show up in particular missions or regions of space or worlds with X quality?

Assassination missions have the target in a higher tonnage mech than the rest of it. Of you find one with a high skull rating you can probably snag big boys that way.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

This game really has it out for Dekker. I've been running some alternate lance mates to spread some exp around, and I put Dekker in a King Crab for the first time in 20~ missions, and a Victor ignores 2 other closer mechs on the field, and AC/20 one-shots Dekker out of the KC in 2nd combat round. Dekker hadn't even fired a round yet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's pretty nice that the plot missions actually do pay a lot of money.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The ranges on weapons are actually the exact ranges from TT for the most part, they just out the Short Range bracket. You can add that in (I did).

Hmm, I'm not sure why it feels so different to me then.

Draxion posted:

I wasn't crazy about this part either. It got a lot more interesting for me to play when I decided my character was just really mad about Montgomery and was willing to take down a government in revenge, though. Kamea was hard to care about.

This is basically what I played my dude's motivations as, too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Psion posted:

post a screenshot of this, please

action shot or the mechlab, your choice, but I guess I'd prefer the mechlab both :v:

SO PRETTY :swoon:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Unzip and Attack posted:

How do I take out random head hits? As in reduce them to a 0% chance to happen?

first, just harden the gently caress up and hire more pilots, otherwise, open CombatGameConstants.json in the constants folder, and find the section labeled "HitTables":
Then delete the head entry entirely on the relevant tables.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

You should be able to edit sight and sensor range easily in json, but the maps aren't really big enough to make that worth doing imo.
That's actually one thing I do wish was "slower"; I'd like bigger maps that allowed more engagement ranges and pre-combat positioning. Though if that were the case, it would probably be better for the out-of-combat movement to be real-time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gotta say, having a mission that boils down to "if a vehicle reaches this point you lose instantly" and combining it with fairly hardy vehicles that can basically cross the whole distance from sensor range all the way to that point instantly is... not the best combination.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Gwaihir posted:

SO PRETTY :swoon:

some of the paintjob options in this game are so nice on the field but look like butts in the Mechbay. A preview or better camera options in the mechbay function would be lovely, though I'm sure it got cut for time for good reason.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Hopefully the Arano Restoration/Aurigan Reach gets mentioned in products going forward :)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd love to see more big urban maps.

Gotta say it was pretty funny to be on a capture base mission to secure a priceless Star League manufacturing depot.

*enemy jenner proceeds to stomp half the buildings flat in its charge to get at me* :downs:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Also, minor but maybe impactful QoL suggestion: make it so star systems are labeled in the overall navigation map view and you don't have to click them to find out what the name is. There were a few systems I wanted to check out because I remembered them from the universe and had to click around to find them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Arrath posted:

I'd love to see more big urban maps.

Gotta say it was pretty funny to be on a capture base mission to secure a priceless Star League manufacturing depot.

*enemy jenner proceeds to stomp half the buildings flat in its charge to get at me* :downs:

yeah I want an actual city like they had in a few MW4: Mercs missions

LET THE ONLY OPEN GROUND BE A PARK that the dropship lands on or something

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SirFozzie posted:

Hopefully the Arano Restoration/Aurigan Reach gets mentioned in products going forward :)

I think it will seeing as one of the dudes who invented BattleTech made this game. I'm reasonably sure that at this point HSB is allowed to make things canon.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Dravs posted:

Atlas...

Is there a good way to fit this? It seems super slow but I just can't find the weight savings I would need to fit 4 JJs on it. I was thinking maybe swap the Gauss from the Highlander into it with LRMs so I don't need to get into AC20 range before I can start firing?
Dual AC/20s, 6 tons of ammo, 4 JJ and lots of armor. Add support weapons and arm/leg mods to taste.

Watching an Atlas fly over a ridge and stomp on a Locust never gets old.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SirFozzie posted:

Same, and I hope it reads: "The Aurigan Reach was a failed, backwater tyranny that tore itself apart through a series of pointless, bloody civil-wars and was later absorbed by the Taurian Concordat." :unsmigghh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Razzled posted:

You are comparing what a 30 ton mech is mounting compared to what a 60 ton vehicle is mounting so you sound kinda ridiculous here. A 60 ton mech can mount that and more.

Tanks have a higher engine weight cost, but dont have internal arranging to do, a gyro, or deal with heat. In exchange they have fewer armor sections which, when any one section is breached, the vehicle is at risk of exploding to a tiny bit of internal damage, which is very different than mechs and their hit locations and ability to lose limbs and torso sections but keep fighting. Also vehicles take double damage from melee and cant have Jump Jets.

Yeah, I scaled the mechs down to 1.0 from 1.25 in the data files, and it is much more reasonable.
Which file do I edit this in? I would like to give it a try.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Draxion posted:

Yeah, revenge and money were my character's motivators, though mostly the latter. None of this "we're with you all the way Kamea" nonsense.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Alright after ~100 hours I still love this game; quirks and all. I've now shifted to multiplayer but it can take a while to get a game going. What's everyone's preferred c-bill limit? I've noticed that beta players prefer 15mil any particular reason why?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Alright after ~100 hours I still love this game; quirks and all. I've now shifted to multiplayer but it can take a while to get a game going. What's everyone's preferred c-bill limit? I've noticed that beta players prefer 15mil any particular reason why?

I want an unlimited C-Bill bracket. I am a House Steiner goon through and through. Grasshopper should be the lightest mech I'm forced to field, and just because I want a nice mobile scout!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
C.R.E.A.M. because I really didn't care about Mastiff either. It was almost comedic how destined to die he was.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Razzled posted:

If I recall, tanks in the tabletop didn't have a heat mechanic to worry about. Not sure how that was explained in-universe.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Which file do I edit this in? I would like to give it a try.

CombatGameConstants, looking for "TEST_MechScaleMultiplier". Set it to 1 for accurate sized mechs.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You are comparing what a 30 ton mech is mounting compared to what a 60 ton vehicle is mounting so you sound kinda ridiculous here. A 60 ton mech can mount that and more.

Tanks have a higher engine weight cost, but dont have internal arranging to do, a gyro, or deal with heat. In exchange they have fewer armor sections which, when any one section is breached, the vehicle is at risk of exploding to a tiny bit of internal damage, which is very different than mechs and their hit locations and ability to lose limbs and torso sections but keep fighting. Also vehicles take double damage from melee and cant have Jump Jets.

all i know is the tanks look smaller than my mechs, is their size available to see in the ui?

also didn't know vehicles take double damage from melee, that's good to know.

on a side note, are there ever any good variants of light mechs? one of my favorite builds from MWO was the jenner that could fit like 6 medium lasers lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

high six posted:

If I recall, tanks in the tabletop didn't have a heat mechanic to worry about. Not sure how that was explained in-universe.

In the original BT tabletop game, we eventually outlawed tanks because they were just flat out better than mechs. They were cheaper and had more firepower per ton so you could just mass them and overwhelm any mech lance. I am kind of glad they made them so scary in this game. I always take out vehicles first unless there is a priority target in my face that needs to be handled.

Razzled posted:

all i know is the tanks look smaller than my mechs, is their size available to see in the ui?

also didn't know vehicles take double damage from melee, that's good to know.

on a side note, are there ever any good variants of light mechs? one of my favorite builds from MWO was the jenner that could fit like 6 medium lasers lol

Firestarters can be made into mini death dealing machines. They are really the only light worth bothering with.