Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
It’s cool to see all the ‘waterboarding not real torture’ takes popping back up over the last couple of days. Sometimes you forget these people are the absolute worst in every possible way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Waterboarding is nothing which is why the CIA uses it to extract vital information from people that don't want to talk; because it's no big deal.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's insane that people still argue torture works. the senate report clearly stated that every time the cia claimed it got info through torture they lied. all the intelligence was gathered through other means.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'd say 80% of it (at least) is more "let's punish our enemies" rather than anything else. I don't think they honestly really care about if this stuff works just that the people they hate are tortured which is why the Democrats going along with this for whatever votes they think they are getting are absolutely loathsome. The Republicans obviously are too but I expect nothing good from them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea all the counter arguments are just 'well ISIS doesn't play NICE' and all. It's just 'we should be as mean and cruel as we want and it's ok because they're the bad guys'.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
TOUGH on TERROR

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Torture is just the death penalty with extra steps.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Good Citizen posted:

It’s cool to see all the ‘waterboarding not real torture’ takes popping back up over the last couple of days. Sometimes you forget these people are the absolute worst in every possible way

I want to see another talking head who thinks it isn't a big deal have it done. Dude didn't even last 30 seconds before he was like "holy hell that was awful."

The big snag with torture is that people will say anything to make it stop. The only way to know if the person even knows what you want to know is to have prior intel anyway so if you already know then why torture? At that point you just want to.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Without torture, we never would have caught all those witches, werewolves, and vampires. Then where would we be? Checkmate, libs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/994971056724217857

edit: LOL bari put down the shovel!!!

https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/995007152468250626

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 11, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Good Citizen posted:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Vox isn't Right Wing (I don't think?) but they have an article talking about certain Right Wingers and John McCain.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/5/11/17345060/trump-mccain-2016-2018-right-wing

Apparently he's known as "Songbird John" to them and is a loser cuck traitor.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

So Vox isn't Right Wing (I don't think?) but they have an article talking about certain Right Wingers and John McCain.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/5/11/17345060/trump-mccain-2016-2018-right-wing

Apparently he's known as "Songbird John" to them and is a loser cuck traitor.

I'd like to know why they put warmongering in quotations in an article where they mention 'bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran' and his desire to go into Iraq and stay there until his grandchildren die of old age. McCain seems like a decent person and would be a good guy to call a friend and hang out with, but some of his policy positions are reprehensible. They only seem OK in the grim dark of the present under God-Emperor Trump.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's like how cnn and the rest won't say torture when discussing "enhanced interrogation" they'll just have an aside that says something like "which critics liken to torture".

edit: there are people that think rubin came out well in this exchange:

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/994991488357621768

what a loving world.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 12, 2018

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's like how cnn and the rest won't say torture when discussing "enhanced interrogation" they'll just have an aside that says something like "which critics liken to torture".

edit: there are people that think rubin came out well in this exchange:

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/994991488357621768

what a loving world.

gently caress the right, but any liberal who says "it's so fascinating that you..." is playing into their hands.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MANime in the sheets posted:

I'd like to know why they put warmongering in quotations in an article where they mention 'bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran' and his desire to go into Iraq and stay there until his grandchildren die of old age. McCain seems like a decent person and would be a good guy to call a friend and hang out with, but some of his policy positions are reprehensible. They only seem OK in the grim dark of the present under God-Emperor Trump.

he famously constantly snaps at everyone around him, insulted a literal child on the senate floor because her dad was a Democratic president, and called his wife a oval office with too much makeup. He's as wretched as his ideals and the world will objectively improve when his brain liquefies.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

HootTheOwl posted:

gently caress the right, but any liberal who says "it's so fascinating that you..." is playing into their hands.

Is that a thing? It's a dumb rhetorical style, sure, but is it part of some mechanism I don't know about?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

HootTheOwl posted:

What if I say "It's so fascinating that you think anything you say matters at this point." as I press the button for the crane to lower a bunch of NRA board members into a vat of boiling acid, supervillain style? Am I still playing into the right's hands in that absurdly implausible fantasy scenario?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Alkydere posted:

What if I say "It's so fascinating that you think anything you say matters at this point." as I press the button for the crane to lower a bunch of NRA board members into a vat of boiling acid, supervillain style? Am I still playing into the right's hands in that absurdly implausible fantasy scenario?

Sir, this is a McDonald’s drive through.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Literally Esoteric posted:

Is that a thing? It's a dumb rhetorical style, sure, but is it part of some mechanism I don't know about?

"Fascinating" is a four-syllable word, which is pretty ivory-tower elitist to use, imo not actually my opinion

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's insane that people still argue torture works. the senate report clearly stated that every time the cia claimed it got info through torture they lied. all the intelligence was gathered through other means.

They like torture, and torture works in that it harms people they hate and is an expression of that hate. Having to pretend there's another reason for torture is draining to those who support it, but if they argue nakedly that they want more people to be tortured, then everyone will see them for what they are.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

EdithUpwards posted:

They like torture, and torture works in that it harms people they hate and is an expression of that hate. Having to pretend there's another reason for torture is draining to those who support it, but if they argue nakedly that they want more people to be tortured, then everyone will see them for what they are.

It also works in all those super cool movies they love.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I don't think torture even worked when Jack Bauer did it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

it was extremely effective in action-thriller Babe: Pig in the City

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dr Christmas posted:

It was like 50/50

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I recently watch a video essay about 24 and all it's crazyness.

There's a named character called Jos that has like 5 seconds of screen time before getting killed. There's a white girl whose screen time as a dead body/prop is more then 50% her screen time.

Also FICTIONAL NOT REAL black prezes getting shot a lot. And I'm not talking about ones from Africa.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 14, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Happy Mother's Day from one of the leading intellectuals of the right wing!

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/995667667720716289

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Leofish posted:

TBF his kid is right. Having a job sucks.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

TBF his kid is right. Having a job sucks.

Being a parent is a job. A job without pay

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Not only doesn't torture work in 24, they ofte torture innocent people. In the first season the only way they get the terrorist to cooprate is to give into his demands.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Alhazred posted:

No sorry, it's actually easy and women deserve no support

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Parenting is 100% cuddling all the time, with occasional breaks for kisses. Get it straight, libs.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Parenting is 100% cuddling all the time, with occasional breaks for kisses. Get it straight, libs.

Hey now, sometimes you get to hit them! It not only relieves stress, but you're teaching your kids a valuable lesson: that hitting kids makes you feel strong and good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hey now, sometimes you get to hit them! It not only relieves stress, but you're teaching your kids a valuable lesson: that hitting kids makes you feel strong and good.

"I was hit as a kid and I turned out fine!" *gives kid five across the face for not getting his beer fast enough*

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Alhazred posted:

Parenting is slavery.

Parents, rise up and slay your oppressors.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You know, I was mocking conservative parenting with my last post, but it still made me feel bad because I was beaten as a kid and I have anger issues as a result, to the point where I don't trust myself to drink around other people, have children, or be in a steady relationship. :smith:

Don't hit your kids or your spouse, people. The scars and bruises are more than physical.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Leofish posted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Holy gently caress that's beautiful.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I called my 24-year-old daughter for the 4th time this week this morning but it just keeps ringing. Oh god I’m so alone.

— Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) May 13, 2038

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

I called my 24-year-old daughter for the 4th time this week this morning but it just keeps ringing. Oh god I’m so alone.

— Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) May 13, 2038

And then for Fathers Day, Ben will let his dad ghostwrite all his tweets.

lol jk, Poppy Shapiro inspects everything Ben writes before he's allowed to hit Submit on it.