Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Parallax posted:

I haven't read DC or Marvel since 2012, who are the good writers now

Jason Aaron! The entirity of his Thor run since then has been stellar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Marguerite Bennett, Pete J. Tomasi, Tom King, Dan Abnett, Kelly Thompson, Renae De Liz (pick up Legend of Wonder Woman if you missed it), Al Ewing, Sam Humphries, Ryan North (pace yourself), James Tynion IV, Christopher Priest, Gene Luen Yang, Tim Seeley, Tom Taylor, Steve Orlando (esp. Midnighter / Midnighter and Apollo), Jason Aaron, G. Willow Wilson, Brandon Montclare, Dennis Hopeless...

DC/Marvel have got plenty of gems between them. Young Animal's stable is pretty strong, too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Whoever wrote spider Man X-Men that was post 2012 right?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Forcing this in from the abandoned Dredd thredd.

^burtle posted:

So almost 2 months later, I've powered through the first 14 Complete Case Files and 2 volumes of the Anderson stuff as well as a chunk of the IDW issues.

Is the Ennis stuff worth reading? I don't particularly care for the guy's other work, can I just blitz through to the few mega epics and keep going without missing anything? Any particularly good stories?

Also, anyone still reading BPRD? How has it been? I hopped off around The Long Death when they started numbering issues, but am considering catching back up as a Dredd break.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

^burtle posted:

Forcing this in from the abandoned Dredd thredd.

Also, anyone still reading BPRD? How has it been? I hopped off around The Long Death when they started numbering issues, but am considering catching back up as a Dredd break.

It’s currently and always been awesome. The poo poo that just went down is insane

radlum
May 13, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Whoever wrote spider Man X-Men that was post 2012 right?

Elliot Kalan?

Besides Journey Into Mistery and Young Avengers, what should I read if I want to see more of Loki? I dug Gillen's take but now I'm looking for more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Al Ewing's Loki:Agent of Asgard run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

Elliot Kalan?

Besides Journey Into Mistery and Young Avengers, what should I read if I want to see more of Loki? I dug Gillen's take but now I'm looking for more.

^^^This^^^ but also look up his cameos in Ms. Marvel and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Loki's USG cameos are the best

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Also read the issue of Straczynski's Spider-Man run where him and Loki get hot dogs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

It’s currently and always been awesome. The poo poo that just went down is insane

Last time I checked in on that comic the earth was like 60% of the way through the biblical end times, so I'm really curious as to how it could've gotten that much more insane.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Last time I checked in on that comic the earth was like 60% of the way through the biblical end times, so I'm really curious as to how it could've gotten that much more insane.

At the end of the last arc hellboy returned

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
If I really loved Invincible, what should I read next? I binged the whole series pretty hard and didn't really notice a drop off in quality that people here talk about.

I've read the first few Walking Dead collections to know it's not really for me. I think my tastes are pretty mainstream, but I don't really enjoy most DC or Marvel series (one offs are great though like Red Son and Superman: Birthright).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The latest 'Superman' series has been excellent (barring a few fill-ins you can skip.) https://www.comixology.com/Superman-2016/comics-series/71627

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

canyonero posted:

If I really loved Invincible, what should I read next? I binged the whole series pretty hard and didn't really notice a drop off in quality that people here talk about.

I've read the first few Walking Dead collections to know it's not really for me. I think my tastes are pretty mainstream, but I don't really enjoy most DC or Marvel series (one offs are great though like Red Son and Superman: Birthright).

I know you say you don't like DC and Marvel, but I'm going to recommend Ultimate Spider-Man, the Bendis/Bagley series that started around 2000.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Depends what you liked about Invincible. I think the USM suggestion is probably good. Luther Strode has the over the top violent super hero thing action going on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't actually read much Invincible, but I understand there's some sci-fi space opera to it, and there's heaps of that in the indie space.
I like Rick Remender's Low (underwater rather than space) and Tom King's Omega Men (DC, but as independent minded as that gets)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Actually thinking about it some more, you might want to take a look at Valiant. They do the same kind of high quality cape story without being the big two, and they've got a lot of back matter to dig into to find a particular title that suits.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Valiant is always a good recommendation :dance:

What's the best way to get into Darkwing Duck comics? "The Definitively Dangerous Edition" looks like a great collection. Any word on the older stuff? All good & charming, or are there potholes along the way? I see a few print editions going sold as used on Amazon, and Comixology appears to be a bust. What's the deal?

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 14, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

canyonero posted:

Jay Faerber wrote Noble Causes and Dynamo 5 for Image; they're not dissimilar to Invincible. Sometimes Invincible characters have cameo appearances in them. Unfortunately, Dynamo 5 was never finished.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Rick Remender's Low is the only one at my library system, which is surprising since they carry a lot of other books I'd been interested in. I'll keep my eye out for the other suggestions.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I haven't many comics this decade. I recently had a lot of spare time. I read Spider-Verse , All New X-Men, Superior Spider-Man, and Gwenpool. Spider-Verse and Gwenpool were a lot of fun. All New X-Men started out fun but kind of got ruined by storylines that required reading other books. The one good crossover was with Superior Spider-Man, which caused me to decided to read that. I liked parts of Superior Spider-Man because rear end in a top hat Spider-Man was a fun concept. Anyone have suggestions on what I should be looking for?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 14, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe check out Superior Iron Man? rear end in a top hat Iron Man was pretty fun, though it just kind of ends.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Scarlet Spider? Kaine is also kind of an rear end in a top hat Spider-Man and it's pretty self-contained.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Scarlet Spider is the superior Superior Spider-Man

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

canyonero posted:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Rick Remender's Low is the only one at my library system, which is surprising since they carry a lot of other books I'd been interested in. I'll keep my eye out for the other suggestions.

If they have Remender look to see if they have Fear Agent, which is much closer to Invincible than Low. I like what I've read of Low but it's not really a parallel to Invincible unless that book changed significantly. Low is more like an underwater East of West.

It's less action but The Manhattan Projects shares IMO some of the ridiculousness that Invincible had.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a way I can see what's coming out in terms of TPs, omnibuses and HCs? I don't read floppies. Seems like all the release dates I've found are for floppies.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Servoret posted:

Scarlet Spider? Kaine is also kind of an rear end in a top hat Spider-Man and it's pretty self-contained.

Is Ben Reilly not the main character in Scarlet Spider? I feel like I've missed so much.

edit: is Spider Island worth reading?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 15, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Spacebump posted:

Is Ben Reilly not the main character in Scarlet Spider? I feel like I've missed so much.

There was a Scarlet Spider run a few years back by Yost which featured Kaine in Houston. It's pretty good.

And no, Spider-Island isn't worth reading.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Is there a way I can see what's coming out in terms of TPs, omnibuses and HCs? I don't read floppies. Seems like all the release dates I've found are for floppies.

Diamond's new releases list includes them, but they only let you see ahead two weeks. You can also check the actual Previews catalog, as they're listed there, but that's a lot harder.

https://www.previewsworld.com/NewReleases

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

Spacebump posted:

I'm gonna be minority opinion here but if you liked Spider-verse you might enjoy it. Not so much sharing the "lots of alternate spider-characters" (this is why I liked Spider-verse more) but the "big crossover-y book that isn't bogged down by outside continuity" vibe. Plus you get more "real" supporting cast.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wasn't there a pretty cool Shang-Chi tie in?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spacebump posted:

As mentioned, there was a great Scarlet Spider series starring Kaine a few years ago.

I haven't read Spider Island, but I like the page where a bunch of bank robbers with Spider-Man's powers suddenly get a stomach ache, because it's their spidey sense telling them the Punisher is about to kill them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uthor posted:

Wasn't there a pretty cool Shang-Chi tie in?

I mean there was a Shang-Chi tie-in but it was kinda eh. He gets spider-powers and then has trouble fighting bad guys but remembers the powers are a distraction from his true power, kung fu, then he wins. :shrug: Not exactly earth-shattering stuff.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I have a lot of good choices for completed runs to read, now, but I kinda want to jump into a current series so I can have something to read every so often. Any suggestions? Hopefully something that's not going to wrap up very soon. Marvel, DC, or whatever else. Thanks for any suggestions.

I read comics in the 90s and couldn't keep up with the crossovers and fell away from it. I've read tons of great graphic novels in the meantime but wouldn't mind a monthly or two that I could rely on. Saga is already on my list, but I wouldn't mind some Superhero stuff, too.

I realize that Marvel is rebooting some stuff soon and I will probably jump on those, for a start. Is the DC Rebirth stuff pretty solid? I know I'm a bit behind on some of those, but I wouldn't mind a fairly short catch-up on some of that, if there are any books which are highly recommended.

I'm not aware of any big 'events' in either universe right now which might be worth getting into, but please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Chinook fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 16, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC is currently relaunching comics as well.

You can get in on Scott Snyder's upcoming Justice League (as well as two other companion JL series) by picking up a weekly 4 part prequel series called 'No Justice.' It's two issues in as of yesterday.

Brian Michael Bendis' Superman/Action Comics takeover starts with a 'Man of Steel' miniseries in two weeks.

A new Catwoman comic is launching off of Batman and Catwoman's wedding in Batman #50. It's written and Drawn by Joëlle Jones (Lady Killer) which should be great. The wedding and that are both out on July 4th.
That's probably a good time to get in on Tom King's Batman if they realize it'll attract a pile of new readers.

There's a free comic out now called DC Nation #0, which has preview stories for those three things. https://www.comixology.com/DC-Nation-2018-0/digital-comic/666816

There are rumors of other series getting new runs, like a Grant Morrison Green Lantern, but it's not official.

---

In indie comics, Rick Remender's Death or Glory just started. That's definitely worth following.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 16, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

There are rumors of other series getting new runs, like a Grant Morrison Green Lantern, but it's not official.

Oh man, that sounds great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is this any good?

https://www.amazon.ca/Hellstorm-Warren-Ellis-Omnibus/dp/1302913247/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1526524874&sr=8-37&keywords=marvel+omnibus

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is the Brightest Day Omnibus any good after reading the first three omnibuses of Geoff's run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Brightest Day series it's self stinks. It's all about the resurrected folks. If you only care about lanterns, there's probably not much there for you.
Just get the trade with the GL issues.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 19, 2018