Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Jfc if south Africa calls you on your bullshit you done hosed up

South Africa: progressive on racial issues. This isn't even a top ten headline in 2018.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Uber and other services in that market will continue to exist even after they're done getting hosed by the courts over labor violations (and rightly so), that genie is out of the bottle. Won't be as cheap though, that's for sure.

I'm perfectly okay with this, because if nothing else, it forced the taxi industry to stop sucking.

People who hate Uber clearly never had to deal with DC area taxis.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I just hate companies that think regulation is a burden that needs to be disrupted, call me crazy

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mr. Nice! posted:

Uber loses money on almost every ride still and has burned through insane amounts of vc at crazy rates. Uber is in big trouble if more states start adopting the ABC worker classification ruling that NJ, Maryland, and California now have. They're about to get really slammed hard over this in california.

Ride sharing apps need to build a driver network and a rider network concurrently and do this with those subsidies. They are also fighting for market share.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

I'm perfectly okay with this, because if nothing else, it forced the taxi industry to stop sucking.

Yeah it's got some legit good outcomes for some areas. I took a taxi from the Rockville metro two weeks ago because my phone battery was shamefully low and it took three cabs to get one that had a "working" card reader. Uh huh. It's illegal to not have a working one, allegedly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

psydude posted:

I must have insane luck because the DC cabs I've taken were all great.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

mods change my name posted:

I just hate companies that think regulation is a burden that needs to be disrupted, call me crazy
Problem is, in this case, much of the regulation in place throughout much of the US existed primarily to enrich wealthy medallion owners/investors and stifle the possibility of meaningful competition. I'm a hardcore proponent of government intervention in the economy, but not when it's done to carve out a cash cow for elites.

Edit: Obviously, Uber's exploitation of cheap labor from "contractors" is a massive shitshow and is symptomatic of broader problems with the declining power of labor in the United States. We're caught between douchebag weasels finding loopholes to get around a cartel and old-money curmudgeons jealously exploiting their turf.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 14, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

Credit card machine is broken.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BigDave posted:

Credit card machine is broken.

Arlington? Nah I'm not driving there.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not disagreeing with you regarding the current status quo, but it's not as if Uber and company are doing it for the betterment of society when they're exploiting their Employees subcontractors. Like they would be the first people to push for the same regulations when it benefited VC people getting (even more) rich as gently caress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You want pick up? Ok, be there in 45 to 200 minutes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

DC used to be broken into zones for taxis. If your destination was in the "wrong" zone you would either have a cab driver refuse service or charge you a quadrillion dollars for going into there. Zones did not make much sense, either, and unless you were used to them is a completely opaque thing. It might still be broken into zones, I haven't taken a cab in DC proper in a few years.

My real issues with taxis, as someone that does not drive, is the fact that they're scummy as gently caress very often. I've been kicked out of cabs because they didn't want to use their card reader, refused service because their card reader is "broken", been taken on long detours to rack up extra fares, or been harassed because "I look like the kind that can tip more". About this time last year I even had a guy refuse to use the company provided (installed in the back seat!) card reader and insist I used his personal one, then got really angry when I refused because I needed a receipt. I've called the switchboard before and been stood up on a pickup, many times.

People like to harp on the fact that their cab driver doesn't speak English or the cab smells funny. I've had plenty of Ubers that are like that too. But it gets me from where I am, to where I want to be, in a reasonable time, for a defined amount of money. It shouldn't be that hard, but it is.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Jfc if south Africa calls you on your bullshit you done hosed up

For real, here's some :nms: helmetcam footage in which a .za bike cop empties his entire mag during a high speed pursuit through a crowded neighborhood and gets attaboys at the end.

https://youtu.be/3n8KrdixvZc

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When South Africa is protesting genocide, you know it’s bad.

Efb but who cares

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Also, privatizing the EMS service is working out fuckin' great in my hometown. Dude at one of the local factories dropped a coil of rolled steel on his leg today and then had to wait almost an extra hour to get transported because the first ambulance on scene overheated in the parking lot while they were extricating him and the second went to the wrong goddamn plant.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Melenia at Walter Reed recovering from a kidney procedure

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tesla is burning money at an unprecedented rate and without massive capital injections could go bankrupt this year.

Same with Uber and that's going to be an amazing collapse

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Syrian Lannister posted:

Melenia at Walter Reed recovering from a kidney procedure

Kids are pretty close to her ovaries. Trump got her fixed? What the gently caress?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You guys act as if they can't just raise additional capital. Amazon did the same thing for years, and I got two packages delivered this morning so I don't think they went bankrupt.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

You guys act as if they can't just raise additional capital. Amazon did the same thing for years, and I got two packages delivered this morning so I don't think they went bankrupt.

Their operating income went farther into the red by a billion dollars last year. It’s not sustainable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Their operating income went farther into the red by a billion dollars last year. It’s not sustainable.

Amazon was routinely burning through $250-500 million per quarter during its first few years of being publicly traded. People still snatched up shares. Tesla is probably angling to do the same thing.

Uber is still privately held, but at this point it's so ubiquitous that I doubt VCs will stop injecting money into it.

e: I would agree with you about Uber, since it's hard to say what Uber is actively investing in other than possibly trying to become a monopoly. But Tesla has $28.6bn in assets, so it's not like they're pissing money away.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 14, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
So, whats the end game? VC groups keep funding these companies until the heat death of the universe, in effect subsidizing them like a shadow government?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

For Uber it seems to be disrupt the market until existing taxi regimes collapse then Uber can charge whatever the hell they want which segues into Uber's self driving car division suddenly removing the need to pay drivers at all.

Maybe a couple guys in the depot to hose down the car's grills every so often, though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LingcodKilla posted:

Kids are pretty close to her ovaries. Trump got her fixed? What the gently caress?

She's like, 51? Menopause took care of that after Barron.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BigDave posted:

So, whats the end game? VC groups keep funding these companies until the heat death of the universe, in effect subsidizing them like a shadow government?

I think they know that they're hosed when the music stops so they just keep pumping more money into it in the hopes they're not the ones left holding the bag.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

Amazon was routinely burning through $250-500 million per quarter during its first few years of being publicly traded. People still snatched up shares. Tesla is probably angling to do the same thing.

The amount of money spent and their operating income are completely different things. For example, Apple could spend $1 billion on R&D for the next iPhone. That’s not a bad thing even though it’s a huge number.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 14, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

Well, Tesla is publicly traded. There is no more VC, they just issue more shares on the primary market. Uber will probably be pushed to an IPO eventually, so the same thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

The amount of money spent and their operating income are completely different things.

Double posting because of phone. That WAS their operating income. Amazon's operating income was -250 to -500 million almost every quarter between 2000 and 2004.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

That WAS their operating income. Double posting because of phone. Amazon's operating income was -250 to -500 million almost every quarter between 2000 and 2004.

Fair enough. Your terminology was slightly off but I get what you’re saying now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Fair enough. Your terminology was slightly off but I get what you’re saying now.

You're right, burning through implies expenditures. I was thinking more of their cash on hand.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Amazon’s R&D spending far exceeded their operating deficit though, Jeff Bezos could have flipped the switch to “Profit” any time he wanted and the market recognized that.

Tesla can’t produce enough to scale to profit, and what they do sell is killing people. They can turn around but it’s going to be a hard turn to make.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

psydude posted:

Amazon was doing poo poo like investing in warehouses and inventory so they could two-day ship stuff and things like that, but they were, you know, managing to still ship books.

Tesla needs to sort out the whole "building cars* thing pretty fuckin quick because they kinda suck at it right now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You haven’t had the full DC taxi experience until one guy tries to charge you $80 per person to take you from H Street to northern Alexandria. I deleted my Uber account because they got to be too creepy, but I will still use Lyft frequently.

(I recognize that they’re probably just as bad, but at least they’re less overtly evil than Uber)

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

FrozenVent posted:

Amazon’s R&D spending far exceeded their operating deficit though, Jeff Bezos could have flipped the switch to “Profit” any time he wanted and the market recognized that.

Tesla can’t produce enough to scale to profit, and what they do sell is killing people. They can turn around but it’s going to be a hard turn to make.

Elon's knowledge of manufacturing is also... flawed.

Delivering 2500 cars a week is serious poo poo as he found out the hard way. And before the printer ink is dry on that 2500 he wants to double that within 3 months.

Goddamn, man, come back to reality.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They're set to hit 3000 cars this week before the planned shutdown. We'll see.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I will give Tesla this though, it got people excited in battery research and that can't be a bad thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Aren’t their battery packs COTS cells wrapped together?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

FrozenVent posted:

They are Panasonic cells I believe.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I believe the idea is to eventually produce their own cells. They're building several lines at their Nevada factory for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

One of their big pieces of IP was the battery managers so they could use COTS cells without blowing anything up.

• Locked thread