Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Like there's no way CoD/Battlefield don't try to get in on the battle royale thing, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dewgy posted:

At least in my brief experience with it it was zero fun to play. It was basically any standard slow rear end old MOBA except you had a third person action character instead of a mouse cursor. This could possibly be decent except everything you could do was still on cooldown timers, so there was more or less no benefit to it being third person.

Yeah, I'd thought it might finally be a MOBA for me from the early trailers but then I found out it trended way towards that genre than a shooter.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Help Im Alive posted:

I have completed the calculations and the chances of Microsoft's E3 conference ending with a big battle royale game reveal are 100%

I'll be amazed if they aren't working on a BR mode for Sea of Thieves, to release on the day of the conference.

Like, what else do they even have right now?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

I have completed the calculations and the chances of Microsoft's E3 conference ending with a big battle royale game reveal are 100%

that's on top of the other 5 BR games/modes announced at E3

One Hundred Spartan Class John Halos drop onto a Halo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I know how to save the battle royale genre:
Kirby Air Ride Battle Royale

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

Like there's no way CoD/Battlefield don't try to get in on the battle royale thing, right

they'll do it, if only because the other is doing it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

that's on top of the other 5 BR games/modes announced at E3

only 5 huh, looks like someone's hedging their bets

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

They already confirmed that they are working on this.

Black Ops 4 is going to have it since they won't be having a campaign mode.

Battlefield 5: DICE has been prototyping a mode but not sure if the mode will come out at launch or later.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Are there any instances besides like WoW specifically, of the twentieth game on the market being the one that explodes and makes all the money? It seems like by far the most common pattern is one game becomes unreasonably popular, maybe a better copycat takes its share early on, and whichever game is on top at the end of the first year of the craze remains on top forever and the future copycats are basically just throwing money into a pit

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Black Ops 4 is going to have it since they won't be having a campaign mode.

jfc gaming is dead.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
"PEGGLE...ROYALE!" the man shouts jumping into the air, accompanied only by the sounds of crickets.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Are there any instances besides like WoW specifically, of the twentieth game on the market being the one that explodes and makes all the money? It seems like by far the most common pattern is one game becomes unreasonably popular, maybe a better copycat takes its share early on, and whichever game is on top at the end of the first year of the craze remains on top forever and the future copycats are basically just throwing money into a pit

Overwatch

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

Overwatch

And basically every other Blizzard game except HotS.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Remember Chivalry? I'd play a BR version of that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
AA game development needs to have a renaissance in the west so AAA games can chase their lootbox cash grab fad chasing while still leaving some non-indie games I actually want to play.

Japanese games are mostly doing all right but basically every western game I've enjoyed in the past few years has been funded by kickstarter

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

cheetah7071 posted:

GTAV wasn't the first open-world murdersim with a persistent online MP element but it was the first to sell 90 million copies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Snooze Cruise posted:

I know how to save the battle royale genre:
Kirby Air Ride Battle Royale
I mean me and my friends used to play Free Run City Trial kind of like that years ago.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

i think the end goal for copycats in these circumstances isn't so much to surpass whatever property they're trying to make a quick buck on, just to catch enough cash falling off the cart to be extremely profitable for a minimum amount of effort

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

"PEGGLE...ROYALE!" the man shouts jumping into the air, accompanied only by the sounds of crickets.
congratulations you've made me excited about a battle royale game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wait, I know how to really save the battle royale genre:
Balloon Fight Royale

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

cheetah7071 posted:

AA game development needs to have a renaissance in the west so AAA games can chase their lootbox cash grab fad chasing while still leaving some non-indie games I actually want to play.

Japanese games are mostly doing all right but basically every western game I've enjoyed in the past few years has been funded by kickstarter

I think western attitudes towards what even constitutes "AA" are skewed in a way that doesn't make the success of certain Japanese studios reproducible. Like last year Hellblade and Divinity: OS2 were both really successful and solidly B-tier but they still cost $10mil each to make. That ain't exactly DIY.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

jfc gaming is dead.

Whats even more depressing is that Raven Software, you know the guys who brought you Hexen, Jedi Academy, X-Men Legends, and Singularity are the ones working on COD BLOPS 4 BR

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/ron_lajoie/status/996085567120175105

A half-hour later

https://twitter.com/ron_lajoie/status/996093337672273920

So did most of the employees at Boss Key have to find out the company was kaput at the same time we all did?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

I think western attitudes towards what even constitutes "AA" are skewed in a way that doesn't make the success of certain Japanese studios reproducible. Like last year Hellblade and Divinity: OS2 were both really successful and solidly B-tier but they still cost $10mil each to make. That ain't exactly DIY.

DOS2 was one of the games I was thinking of with kickstarter funding all the western games I like actually. A cheaper to produce version of that game that cut corners by shortening the length of the game and having minimal or no voice acting would have been perfectly fine by me, if not necessarily by other consumers

e: it probably also has better graphics than it needs, considering I spend 100% of the time maximally zoomed out

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

A half-hour later

So did most of the employees at Boss Key have to find out the company was kaput at the same time we all did?

lmao what an rear end in a top hat move

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

A half-hour later

Out of context, this reads like a great Game Design joke sketch

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cliffy was whining that Epic was taking his employees when it was obvious his studio was gonna shut down

He may be a "nice guy in person" but he seems bad at business and bad at being a boss

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Not so much that as they wouldn't be allowed to scoop CliffyB on Twitter. Although if he had known ahead of time he probably would have worded that better.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Cliffy was whining that Epic was taking his employees when it was obvious his studio was gonna shut down

He may be a "nice guy in person" but he seems bad at business and bad at being a boss

The problem with placing all your chips on a Hail Mary move with a "Who Dares Wins" type of attitude is that y'know..."Who dares can also lose."

Sun Tzu said you lose more often than you win.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Steve2911 posted:

jfc gaming is dead.
Nah, the medium is still a hell of a lot better off than it was for like half of the last decade.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

jfc gaming is dead.

blops and stupid calla duty games were around even before pubg took storm and they'll be here long after. It has never stopped great poo poo like the Witchers, Dishonoreds, and Nintendo games of the world from being made. I'm fine with dumb moron poo poo like PUBG or Elder Scrolls Infinite existing if they are part of a larger company that uses the monies to crank out other poo poo. That's kind of what Nintendo is doing with their mobile games, and also likely what Bethesda has done forever: utilize the Fallout/Elder Scrolls/DOOM games profits to hold the other studios making games like Prey/Evil Within afloat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

DOS2 was one of the games I was thinking of with kickstarter funding all the western games I like actually. A cheaper to produce version of that game that cut corners by shortening the length of the game and having minimal or no voice acting would have been perfectly fine by me, if not necessarily by other consumers

e: it probably also has better graphics than it needs, considering I spend 100% of the time maximally zoomed out

These are choices that all games released in the west have to grapple with. Players don't want to invest $60 and 100+ hours for every game out there, but they also don't want them to look cheap, either. Players might be willing to overlook some obvious cost-cutting tricks, but you can't reuse the same exact assets from two generations ago and expect to get away with it. For what it's worth I'm glad that Larian had the foundation and money to make D:OS2 look as good as it does because man it's awesome to play a modern CRPG that looks so drat good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DLC Inc posted:

blops and stupid calla duty games were around even before pubg took storm and they'll be here long after. It has never stopped great poo poo like the Witchers, Dishonoreds, and Nintendo games of the world from being made. I'm fine with dumb moron poo poo like PUBG or Elder Scrolls Infinite existing if they are part of a larger company that uses the monies to crank out other poo poo. That's kind of what Nintendo is doing with their mobile games, and also likely what Bethesda has done forever: utilize the Fallout/Elder Scrolls/DOOM games profits to hold the other studios making games like Prey/Evil Within afloat.

In particular, Intelligent Systems has explicitly stated that they view Fire Emblem Heroes as primarily an advertisement for the main game series. Just one that's money positive instead of money negative.

This might have changed since they gave that answer though. Probably the correct description of their relationship now is that they're both advertisements for each other.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Nah, the medium is still a hell of a lot better off than it was for like half of the last decade.

Yeah tbh if you wanted to make claims like “gaming is dead” you might have wanted to do that when everyone was trying to cash in on Kinect and the Wii.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
when you thinking about it gaming isn't just dead, it's undead

cause it came back after the crash in the 80s

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah tbh if you wanted to make claims like “gaming is dead” you might have wanted to do that when everyone was trying to cash in on Kinect and the Wii.
As well as when bland brown and bloom shooters were everywhere.

Publishers chasing after that COD money ruined too many good games and I much prefer them chasing games like Overwatch and Fortnite instead because other games can still coexist with them without getting completely dumbed down like back in those COD days.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 14, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Robotron 2084 Battle Royale

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

cheetah7071 posted:

when you thinking about it gaming isn't just dead, it's undead

the ghost in the machine was video games all along

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

Robotron 2084 Battle Royale
More like Smash TV Battle Royale, it writes itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder if people in the NES days complained about all the platformers just trying to cash in on Mario money

• Locked thread