Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis charged with drug trafficking:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/23/nottingham-forest-owner-evangelos-marinakis-charged-drug-trafficking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Soulex posted:

My wife is Albanian and I’ve been there at least 10 times for various occasions. It’s also my plan C, where I know I can live on my pension for the rest of my life and never have to work again. The longest stay was a month.

The hotel in question was in a town on the coast. I forget the exact town but could ask my wife. I want to say Saranda but I know that’s wrong.

It’s actually a really nice country down south towards Greece and up in the mountains. Tepelene is nice. Only problem is the corruption is so bad, you’ll get pulled over by a cop and shaken down (happened to my family a lot, we never paid because we had extended family that knew the officers). The infrastructure is crap, super bad, but they are trying to get better. Food is good and beer is cheap. You can live like a king for a week on what a 1-day vacation costs anywhere else.

Albania gets poo poo on a lot, but they’ve also been oppressed for a hell of a long time. My wife told me stories about getting shot at during the civil war just because her family was getting the gently caress out of dodge and the gangsters thought they were targets or something. She remembers growing up with communism and that bullshit. Rationing sugar and stuff like that. Albania isn’t just movies like Taken or whatever, and stereotyping them as such isn’t fair. The Albanians I know have been nothing short of kind, giving, and accommodating.

People are people though so yes, there are idiots and assholes. Just as they are in every culture.

albania is cool and all until you try to drive out of tirana or really anywhere in the whole country

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

RideTheSpiral posted:

albania is cool and all until you try to drive out of tirana or really anywhere in the whole country

Tirana is crazy. Nice city. Got some old communist buildings that look evil as gently caress. Skanderbeu statue is awesome too.

In Albania,You REALLY do need to know where you are going. The roads are literally the worst I’ve seen.

The shores of Saranda are really nice. That Greek beach with pebbles instead of sand. Same with the mountains near Tepelene where the water is a weird glacial blue. Everywhere in between is loving rough.

They based their highways off of not being able to land fighter craft on it. So it’s skinny and windy. Except for newer ones. They have these bunkers all over the place that got tested out by having the engineers and architects stay in them as they got tested. They double as the baseball dugouts in America.

The “Blue Eye” is also a cool underground spring that has a diving platform above it.

Lots of trash. Lots and lots of trash. Lavasho, Gas stations, and cafes.

I mean poo poo, they had a civil war and another conflict 20-30 years ago.

They loved Americans though. Something about George W Bush being the first to check out Albania or something.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I'm now picturing a poorer version of Sicily. I had a great time in Sicily with great food and generally very nice people but if Albania is like that then man it must be rough for the people who live there.

If you go to Sicily enjoy the ricotta which blows the ricotta I had anywhere else straight out of the water (ended up eating so many pastries) and have a look at Agrigento, the chapel in the Norman castle in Palermo. and the Roman villa with the crazy well preserved mosaics. Also, take a random drive through the countryside and wonder at the number of half finished buildings and giant mansions in random places.

Munin fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 25, 2018

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Munin posted:

I'm now picturing a poorer version of Sicily. I had a great time in Sicily with great food and generally very nice people but if Albania is like that then man it must be rough for the people who live there.

If you go to Sicily enjoy the ricotta which blows the ricotta I had anywhere else straight out of the water (ended up eating so many pastries) and have a look at Agrigento, the chapel in the Norman castle in Palermo. and the Roman villa with the crazy well preserved mosaics. Also, take a random drive through the countryside and wonder at the number of half finished buildings and giant mansions in random places.

no its like a poo poo greece with bad food

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

RideTheSpiral posted:

no its like a poo poo greece with bad food

Their food is actually good. Sorry you couldn’t find a McDonalds.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/976521560428302336
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/977640837936046080

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Hard to believe Chelsea would be associated with racism in any way

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I thought that train left the station a long time ago

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

brocked posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/07/sporting-lisbon-president-suspends-19-players-after-social-media-spat

quote:

Sporting Lisbon are left with six players for Sunday’s match with Pacos de Ferreira after president Bruno de Carvalho suspended 19 of the club’s players following a Facebook spat with the majority of the first team.

De Carvalho instigated the spat by criticising some of his players for their “stupid” performance in their 2-0 Europa League defeat to Atlético Madrid. Defenders Sebastián Coates and Jérémy Mathieu were singled out for extra criticism.

In response to the comments, 19 of the club’s players released a joint statement across their social media accounts expressing “our disgust with the president’s public statements … he is supposed to be our leader”.

The Sporting president was unhappy with this rebellion, retaliating by suspending those involved. “All the players who wrote the message below are suspended with immediate effect and will face the club’s disciplinary procedures. I’m fed up with spoilt children who don’t represent anything or anyone,” he said. “This time, my patience has run out for those who think they are above the club and any sort of criticism.” However, this Facebook post was later deleted.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

brocked posted:

bit late but nice

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

the other six should get deliberate red cards tomorrow

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

top name for a racist - Gwyn is Welsh for white

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

funkybottoms posted:

The game will be forfeit unless the club can field at least 7 players.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

funkybottoms posted:

Yeah that'll prove they're not spoiled children.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sassassin posted:

Yeah that'll prove they're not spoiled children.
theyre already football players so it’s a bit late

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

atomic gog posted:

top name for a racist - Gwyn is Welsh for white

actually its welsh for John

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

from the "where are they now?" files:
https://twitter.com/RorySmith/status/992353865545732096

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44088614

Arsenal coaches are mean. Gatting's been around forever. Idk much about the other guy.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bea Nanner posted:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44088614

Arsenal coaches are mean. Gatting's been around forever. Idk much about the other guy.

No idea what’s going on. There was an earlier story claiming it’s the reason Marcus Mcguane left for Barca but he denied it on Twitter.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bobby Digital posted:

No idea what’s going on. There was an earlier story claiming it’s the reason Marcus Mcguane left for Barca but he denied it on Twitter.

One of the supposed ITK’s was saying that a bunch of coaches and scouts were released today in connection with preparations for a new manager.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKCN1IF2D9

gently caress FIFA
gently caress TAS

gently caress THE UNIVERSE

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Weaponized Cum posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKCN1IF2D9

gently caress FIFA
gently caress TAS

gently caress THE UNIVERSE

that suuuuuuuuucks

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
WORLD CUP IN PERU-INS

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bans for non-performance enhancers should be way less IMO, unless cocaine can be used to mask other stuff idk

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't get it are we unironically booing a ban for cocaine use

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
cocaine should be a life ban since it makes people die of heart attacks on the pitch
dont @ me

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
It's like school. Did you bring enough cocaine for everyone to share? If not, you have to put it away.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vegetable posted:

Yes we are. Is this hard to understand?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Vegetable posted:

extending a ban just before the world cup is a bit poo poo

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Man, he's got half of Maradona figured out, the wrong one.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

St Evan Echoes posted:

Bans for non-performance enhancers should be way less IMO, unless cocaine can be used to mask other stuff idk

Bans for non-performance enhancers like cocaine and weed should be exactly 0.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
what annoys me is not the ban, its this attitude that "the rules must be upheld" when TAS and FIFA are corrupt piece of poo poo entities that I simply cannot respect

Weaponized Cum fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 14, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

oliwan posted:

Bans for non-performance enhancers like cocaine and weed should be exactly 0.

Cocaine is a performance enhancing drug.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'm okay with the extended ban.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

does it make you better at football?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

MrBling posted:

does it make you better at football?

Yes

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Technically it might be, but it's not doping, which is what these rules are in place to stop.

Having said that, the players know the rules. The really poo poo thing here is extending the ban after he was allowed back and 14 months is ridiculous.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Mickolution posted:

Technically it might be, but it's not doping, which is what these rules are in place to stop.

Having said that, the players know the rules. The really poo poo thing here is extending the ban after he was allowed back and 14 months is ridiculous.

It is doping and has been used in the past for doping purposes.