Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dewgy posted:

something that got put in because it was in the design doc and left in because they weren’t literally unplayably broken. They’re pretty dumb.

Yeah definitely this, to throw in everything that wasn't actively broken to get more content and things to do. Mad Max went to sort-of development hell where they even had to poo poo-can the more or less beta-stage PS3 release after they announced that it will be released.

The other obvious sign are the brute bosses, which all are the same even though the game insists on each one having a theme and weakness, and an arena to match that. Also the game keeps insisting that the different paint coats give different bonus effects, but only one of the paints actually has one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I only did the minefields in one specific area because it unlocks the Flamethrowers. And they turned out to be useless.

Don't do minefields. Don't do anything in Mad Max that sounds like a bore a.k.a. Most things

Also, don't clear the Danger of an area to 0 because it makes enemies not spawn there anymore.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't understand the point here. You let go and jumped when the leg was moving, lost your balance, and fell. Turns out missing a jump in a platformer is bad.

Or am I missing something else?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

rydiafan posted:

I don't understand the point here. You let go and jumped when the leg was moving, lost your balance, and fell. Turns out missing a jump in a platformer is bad.

Or am I missing something else?

Well, typically a three-foot fall is not enough to kill you outright. Or even damage you, really.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Morpheus posted:

Well, typically a three-foot fall is not enough to kill you outright. Or even damage you, really.

Did you somehow miss the gigantic foot stepping on him?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Also, it was more like a 10 foot fall, and it was directly onto his head. Necks break, yo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dewgy posted:

Did you somehow miss the gigantic foot stepping on him?

Happened after he was dead.

rydiafan posted:

Also, it was more like a 10 foot fall, and it was directly onto his head. Necks break, yo.

True body ragdolling physics, finally!

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I finished Tales of Berseria, which I really liked, and decided to play tales of Zestiria. I'm not far in, but I am pretty shocked at how much rougher this game feels. The PC port has lots of small annoyances, but the game itself is frustrating me. I really don't like the combat relative to Berseria's. I especially hate how rigid the targeting is as enemies buzz around the map. My AI companions die even when I seem to have most of the enemy's attention and am doing just fine.

Most of all though, the early plot and characters feel really weak. Berseria started with a kind of plodding tutorial area, but once the main game got started, your characters were clearly motivated and the story kept its momentum. Sure, the game had a weirdly bipolar tone, but I thought it worked pretty well. I just do not care about the cast of Zestiria though, especially our main character who became savior of the world... because he was bored and liked a storybook as far as I can tell? Everyone's reactions to events seem ither too laid back, or like they somehow know exactly what is going to happen next.

I kind of want to play the game to see how Berseria ties into things, but I think if it wasn't for that connection I'd have uninstalled by now, and I am only half a dozen hours into it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MrAptronym posted:

I kind of want to play the game to see how Berseria ties into things

It barely does, and most of the call-forwards just do Berseria a further disservice.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Oxxidation posted:

It barely does, and most of the call-forwards just do Berseria a further disservice.

Welp, I might just hop on to the next game in my list then. I know people generally considered Berseria to be a big step up from Zestiria, but I am really surprised by how much of a difference there is between the two.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
I swear GTA Online has an algorithm that bombards you with "network errors" when you're making too much money for Rockstar's liking.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Playing the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy is reminding me just how infuriatingly pointless the lives system is. Yes, I will sit here, dying to the same loving falling board thanks to the loving misplaced upside-down turtle on that stupid forced perspective bridge, again and again and again and again, and thanks to the Dark Souls games, I will like it because I've learned to internalize that loving victory screen as a great triumph all over again. But I will hate this game with the fury of a thousand dying Suns every single time that stupid loving tiki mask zooms out of the black and laughs "game over" in my face, wasting my time for an extra two minutes as I sigh and reload that save file with 37 lives again (because fuuuuuuuuck trying to beat that level with only five).

You can really tell that this game was made back during the design philosophy of "bilk the gently caress out of every quarter that stupid loving gamer has." I'm goddamn glad that we've left that particular gimmick in the past.
Do you think Crash Bandicoot was in arcades?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah uhhh, Crash was a PS1 game duder, arcades were already being relegated to mall corners by then. Also good random "THE DARK SOULSSSS" drop. :v:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I bought the Mad Max game on sale.

The controller settings are completely daft. Jump is on right trigger? How does that make sense? Oops I accidentally pressed B there goes one of my 3 shotgun shells.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mad Max is awful, enjoy driving around for a bit, stomp some balls and uninstall

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kind of generic: I hate when single player games (specifically) decide to add economic pushbacks for finding good ways to make money, even if they are realistic.

Like, Slime Rancher has a mechanic where if you sell 15-30 of a type of plort (crystallized slime poop), the value for the day is cut in half. Sell a whole bunch, and it depresses the value for something like an in-game month.

I have a fully tricked out slime ranch. I'm usually getting plorts in the 40-50 quantities, a day. There's no point in my game where I'm not depressing the market for every goddamned type of plort the game has. If this was a multiplayer game, OK, balance away. But I'm just playing by myself, just let me drop a pile of plorts for full value.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Mad Max is awful, enjoy driving around for a bit, stomp some balls and uninstall

Also, the Magnum Opus is still terrible, but at least we've got a couple of upgrades on it. Now I have to drive Chumbucket's defenseless dune buggy all the way back across half the map for some reason?

Edit: I'm playing for the story, by the way. Because I'm an idiot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

im pooping! posted:

i know you have said youre over it, but there are mods that address your issues, notably the infinite item durability, 9000 weight limit, and auto loot mods. i understand if you dont want to mod the game but at least in my case the game was very frustrating to play without those mods

I'm on Xbone not PC. the bolded part is what was ruining the game for me, which is a shame because there's a great game in there but, to me, it's the textbook definition of a game being dragged down and ultimately being rendered not fun. Way too much time spent on map and inventory screens.

Someone else brought up Wolfenstein. I grabbed New Order and Old Blood and it's pretty fun but, holy poo poo, the constant stream of enemies in certain places is a bit much. It's like they're coming off an assembly line. Some of the trial and error of it is off putting too. Like I cruise along pretty steady for a while and then hit a spot where I die repeatedly. There's no explanation anywhere either of what weapon does what - at least that I can find (damage, fire rate, reload time, etc.)

But my biggest gripe so far is that even with the armor and health perks, they deteriorate/count down once you pass 100% and the pickups never seem to be where you need them. Meaning by the time I get to an enemy laden area, my 100+ boost is gone. I assume eventually there's another perk that negates that.

Lastly, gently caress platforming for the most part in first person shooters. All of them.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Aleph Null posted:

Also, the Magnum Opus is still terrible, but at least we've got a couple of upgrades on it. Now I have to drive Chumbucket's defenseless dune buggy all the way back across half the map for some reason?

Edit: I'm playing for the story, by the way. Because I'm an idiot.

There’s a story?

It was free so I downloaded it and played the first mission and was like, “eh well it’s some sandbox to kill time if I’m bored.” Then I got to mission 2 where you have to take down some sniper and you can’t stealth it at all, and the Internet said to connect your car’s jack to the tower but there’s absolutely no way to do that. You can’t even climb up a knee-high rock :psyduck: Uninstalled.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thin Privilege posted:

There’s a story?

It was free so I downloaded it and played the first mission and was like, “eh well it’s some sandbox to kill time if I’m bored.” Then I got to mission 2 where you have to take down some sniper and you can’t stealth it at all, and the Internet said to connect your car’s jack to the tower but there’s absolutely no way to do that. You can’t even climb up a knee-high rock :psyduck: Uninstalled.

You have to use the never-mentioned ability to switch weapons in your car to switch to the harpoon from the shotgun. I had to look that up.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Aleph Null posted:

You have to use the never-mentioned ability to switch weapons in your car to switch to the harpoon from the shotgun. I had to look that up.

I looked it up too, and could never get the weapon in the car to switch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

You can’t even climb up a knee-high rock :psyduck:

Jump is mapped to L1.

Mad Max was not good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

There’s a story?

You can also just ram the towers, no harpoon needed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

Jump is mapped to L1.

Mad Max was not good.

Yeah I got it for free from Sony and man was I disappointed

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Morpheus posted:

True body ragdolling physics, finally!

You're the one who brought up real world physics so maybe make up your mind what your argument is? :shrug:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Barudak posted:

That particular one is on a ledge that you cannot reach by foot or car until after you take the settlement it is guarding.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Aleph Null posted:

I bought the Mad Max game on sale.

The controller settings are completely daft. Jump is on right trigger? How does that make sense? Oops I accidentally pressed B there goes one of my 3 shotgun shells.

Its not a shooty game, its a brawling game. The shotgun is your special move. B would be a lovely button for a gun in a shooter, but its fine as a "gently caress this guy in particular" button. The tutorial does a piss poor job of communicating this though, as it has you walk up behind someone and shoot them, which does really give the impression you'll be shooting much more than you actually do in the game. The only times you really need to aim and shoot on foot after than is to kill the warboy drummers* to stop them buffing the warboys in a melee. The rest of the time the shotgun is for guys you are fighting that you want to go away now. Jump being on a shoulder button is wierd, but honestly you get used to that reasonably fast, its not like its a platformer requiring a lot of precision jumps either.

Mad Max had some good bits, a couple of very good bits and a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't a good idea, or was a good idea but was badly implemented, or needed another couple of passes with editors and playtesters. They obviously tried to do too much with the budget and time they had. I bought it when it was new, I dont regret the time or money I spent on it, but at the same time I have no desire to revisit it now, and wouldn't necessarily recommend it to people. I enjoyed it on the PS4 in 2015 when I was playing games faster than they were releasing games I wanted to play. Now I have a backlog of really exceptional games I'd have problems justifying adding such an uneven game to my list. I mean, I might anyway because I love a post (nuclear) apocalypse setting in general and mad max in particular.

If you want the problems with Mad Max (which again, overall I had fun with) then I feel you have to talk about things like how clearing an area stops enemies from spawning entirely (which is boring), about how for the Minefield clearing side activity you need to use the buggy instead of the magnum opus (and your hunchback assistant will ONLY bring you the Magnum Opus on demand, so you need to go to a base and drive the lovely buggy to the minefield), about how each fortress has the exact same activities to upgrade it (we'll say it can be a little on the repetitive side), the characterization of max being kind of off, or, and for me this was the big one, that loving deathrace mission.

Theres a mission to get.... I think the best engine for the opus? Something like that. Its about three quarters of the way through the game I think. You have to beat a big rig in a death race. You can customise the Magnum Opus in a variety of ways but loving hell I could only find one configuration that worked after many many attempts. Strip the opus back to minimal everything (lightest armour, ram bars, everything) and pile on the biggest engine (and nitros I think? Its been a while) and thunderpoons (the explosive harpoons, I know I didnt name the drat things). Basically you need a turbo charged gun platform. Because you need to go flat out, and as soon as you see the big rig you unload on it. It will get away but you catch up again. If you dont kill it the second time you catch up to it, you might as well hit restart from checkpoint because you've lost the race. Theres no indication that this is the configuration you need, and if I remember correctly the checkpoint is at the start of the race, so if you find, for example, that your armour is slowing you down too much you have to manually load a save from before accepting the mission to change your loadout. Hitting restart from checkpoint restarts the race with the same version of the opus which cannot possibly win.

Put it this way; That mission was so lovely that I just typed that up from memory 3 goddamn years later.

*At least once you should kill everybody EXCEPT the drummer, just to hear him.

Aleph Null posted:

I would have sworn blind that gave you a tutorial tip to do that, but it was a long time ago, I could easily be wrong.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mad Max was a fun game, it had some control jank at first but after that I just enjoyed my Twisted Metal Batman Creed mishmash.

SiKboy posted:

*At least once you should kill everybody EXCEPT the drummer, just to hear him.

Everyone dead minus the drummer is :allears: when you do it without knowing

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Morpheus posted:

Happened after he was dead.

^ Yeah, that. Wander died the moment he hit the ground, while the colossus' foot was still on the ground.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Olive! posted:

^ Yeah, that. Wander died the moment he hit the ground, while the colossus' foot was still on the ground.

Oh. Looks like some hitbox screwiness then, looks like you hit the ground right when a stomp did, so you got counted as squished? Still, that’s an odd glitch all things considered.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

John Murdoch posted:

It's literally an alpha you fuckin' doofus.

Guess what, Boss Key just shut down so the game is never going to be any better than it is now. RIP Radical Heights, you looked bad, played bad, and nobody liked you.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Playing Ys Chronicles 1, just got to the bottom of the mines after getting all the enemy info in there. I enter the boss room, and just as the boss shows up I remember 'oh wait, I forgot to save'.

And of course it's the shittiest boss ever and it kills me before I get it to half health. Thanks game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This is a me problem, 100 percent.

I’ve been playing Dead Rising 2 ever since I got the PS4 remaster, and the radio alert noise sounds like my pager at work. Whenever it goes off I reflexively pause my game because I have a Pavlovian conditioning type thing to drop what I’m doing when I hear that noise.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Oxxidation posted:

Jump is mapped to L1.

Mad Max was not good.

Yeah but he jumps up like 5 inches and that’s it.

Barudak posted:

The first level with a tower, the tower was on top of a rock so there was no way to ram it. It also warns you at the beginning of the mission DO NOT ALERT THE BASE OR THEY WILL BECOME SUPER STRONG AND INCREASE IN NUMBERS so I’m like, cool, a stealth game. Well there’s no loving way not to alert them! Wtf is even the point in saying that if you can’t stealth your way in?

I think my last time playing, I just stood under the sniper and let him kill me, but he missed like 10 times so it took a few minutes.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 14:53 on May 15, 2018

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah but he jumps up like 5 inches and that’s it.

The first level with a tower, the tower was on top of a rock so there was no way to ram it. It also warns you at the beginning of the mission DO NOT ALERT THE BASE OR THEY WILL BECOME SUPER STRONG AND INCREASE IN NUMBERS so I’m like, cool, a stealth game. Well there’s no loving way not to alert them! Wtf is even the point in saying that if you can’t stealth your way in?

I think my last time playing, I just stood under the sniper and let him kill me, but he missed like 10 times so it took a few minutes.

There's always a very sneaky side entrance to those bases. Usually there will be a scout nearby who can point it out, but you do have to run up on foot for a ways. If they see your car, they get nutty.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Also, it’s a brawler game, so “gently caress yeah” is a perfectly decent response to seeing “they will increase in numbers”

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Kruller posted:

There's always a very sneaky side entrance to those bases. Usually there will be a scout nearby who can point it out, but you do have to run up on foot for a ways. If they see your car, they get nutty.

I ran all around this thing and it’s just perched on a rock with just one entrance. It’s also surrounded with those super square low level stones that you can jump up on in ever other game but in this one you can’t!! Iirc there are even some that are leading up like a staircase but I couldn’t jump on them.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also, it’s a brawler game, so “gently caress yeah” is a perfectly decent response to seeing “they will increase in numbers”

This should be explained early on, like immediately. It starts with “the world is dead :qq: “ then a stealth-ish mission cause the crippled guy is like, avoid these guys! You fight like 3 and then run away

Side note: why the gently caress, if you have a knife, can you only use it as a finishing move?! Why can’t I just go stab everyone in the eye?!

Anyways then they throw the “Dont alert the base” and all the other crap I’ve complained about and I’m just done w this game.

I love stealth so I was disappointed, but that’s not what got me. If they had started off being like “the world is dead so you kill everyone always and blow poo poo up”, and then fixed like, everything, so I wouldn’t be stuck ON THE SECOND MISSION, I would have played longer.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Thin Privilege posted:

I ran all around this thing and it’s just perched on a rock with just one entrance. It’s also surrounded with those super square low level stones that you can jump up on in ever other game but in this one you can’t!! Iirc there are even some that are leading up like a staircase but I couldn’t jump on them.

That one might have a cave below it. Some of the side entrances are a lot farther off than you'd expect. Most of the time I found the side entrance after I just plowed into the front door with the MO and kicked nuts until I won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Beyond Two Souls: she goes through this massive (spoiler in case someone just started playing it cause it’s free) CIA————————— training, and you didn’t learn even the basic of riding a drat horse? That’s literally impossible 100% in the real world.

I am also irritated that they use the wrong “controls” for the horse. In the game you just tap the horse once and it gallops. In real life, that’s not how it works. At all.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 15:40 on May 15, 2018