Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Main Paineframe posted:

Hamas alone can't muster tens of thousands of civilians to charge into literal loving gunfire from uniformed troops. This is grassroots. And where have you read about the protesters having guns? I haven't seen any mention of that.

The Guardian even has an IDF Colonel saying they haven't actually been shot at.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/may/14/israeli-troops-kill-palestinians-protesting-against-us-embassy-move-to-jerusalem-live-updates posted:

“As of now, no one has crossed the fence,” he said, adding there had been “several” attempts.

He said one Israeli soldier had been “slightly wounded by shrapnel” but he did not have details. “Our troops have not taken any sustained direct fire,” he added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I can't find where I read it before, it was a small quip about Israeli forces saying they received sporadic fire. I don't believe it and since I can't find it again, I doubt anyone else does.

Holy poo poo, its 52 now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Everyone should be following Asaf Ronel on Twitter. This thread (which the tweet I picked is halfway through) is a portal into hell.

https://twitter.com/asafronel/status/995986829890420737?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, I’d heard that a bunch of the fortifications being attacked were inside Gazan territory. Is that accurate? Is there a source on that?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, I’d heard that a bunch of the fortifications being attacked were inside Gazan territory. Is that accurate? Is there a source on that?

Everything being attacked is inside Gazan territory.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Most of news media is currently occupied by the Eurovision pick and the embassy.
If you'll excuse me I'm just going outside to pour gasoline all over myself and light a match.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Most of news media is currently occupied by the Eurovision pick and the embassy.
If you'll excuse me I'm just going outside to pour gasoline all over myself and light a match.

Yeah, I realize that I/P is pretty much categorized by "what a horribly depressing situation" but man, what a horribly depressing situation.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

please don't. talk to your friends. organize a protest.

you can do something. you're the only one of us who can actually do something.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I've decided to volunteer to Betselem.
I have plenty of free time because I'm a depressive mess, and I have to do something anything before I loving explode.
More ideas are welcome, of course.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
There was a protest in Jerusalem that was smashed by police

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-u-s-embassy-protest-in-jerusalem-turns-violent-1.6091477

quote:

A protest against the opening of the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem turned violent on Monday when police charged the crowd after demonstrators hoisted Palestinians flags.

As U.S. and Israeli officials attended the inauguration ceremony of the controversial diplomatic mission in the southern Jerusalem neighborhood of Arnona, police officers tore flags from protesters’ hands, using force on several occasions.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said that out of the 10 demonstrators removed from the scene and taken in for questioning, three were subsequently arrested.

Most of the hundreds of participants in the demonstration were Arabs from northern Israel and East Jerusalem. Rosenfeld said the protest had been coordinated in advance with police and that an agreement had been reached that no Palestinian flags would be hoisted.

He said the arrests were made because that agreement had been violated.

Israeli police often ban Palestinian flags at protests, on the grounds that they incite crowds to violence.

The demonstration was held a few hundred meters from the site of the new embassy, which was formerly the city’s U.S. Consulate.

Several Arab lawmakers from the Joint List (an alliance of predominantly Arab parties) participated in the protest, including Ahmad Tibi and Aida Touma-Sliman.

Tibi accused the police of attacking the demonstrators, including the lawmakers, when they raised their flags. “They were aggressive, they are not willing to allow us to say in a democratic way our position: No to this [embassy] move, and no to the massacre in Gaza,” he said.

The Joint List lawmaker called it “a sad day for the Palestinian people. But Palestinian people had in the past much more cruel days, and they will overcome this horrible day,” he added.

The Arab protesters were joined by Jewish anti-occupation protesters – including about 100 members of the Jerusalem-based organization All That’s Left, which was comprised mainly of Diaspora Jews.

Protesters chanted slogans including “With our blood and tears, we will redeem you, Palestine” (in Arabic) and “Netanyahu you will see, Palestine will be free.”

During the demonstration, an elderly man collapsed. Before being taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital, he was treated by Tibi, who is also a physician. Tibi himself was beaten by police after he tried to use his parliamentary immunity to shield some of the demonstrators.

Toward the end of the demonstration, the protesters were joined by about a dozen ultra-Orthodox (or Haredi) men – part of a group known as True Torah Jews. The group does not recognize the State of Israel and is vehemently opposed to the military draft. The Haredi demonstrators held signs reading “Jews worldwide condemn Israeli bloody brutality” and “Authentic Jewry never recognized the State of Israel.”

Before the protest began, dozens of Israelis and foreigners who support the embassy move turned up near the site to demonstrate their solidarity. The supporters included a large contingent of Orthodox American Jews – many of them yeshiva students in Israel – as well as Christian evangelicals from as far away as Australia, New Zealand and China.

Many of them hoisted American and Israeli flags. They sang patriotic Israeli songs, as well as “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

Before the demonstration began, fearing confrontations, police set up barricades to separate the two groups.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

"Palestinian flags cause the crowd to get violent"

*Police violently charge group that hoists Palestinian flag*

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
at least they didn't use live ammunition this tine, I guess

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Cool and normal thing to say

https://twitter.com/sarayasin/status/996098762522136576

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/malsaafin/status/996079743882743810?s=21

Goddamn.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/alexbkane/status/995998390692573184

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

What’s that weird thing he’s got in his hand? A slingshot? A camera? A crutch?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

currently in headlines:

FoxNews: "Monster in the Cockpit" a story about the Malaysian flight 370 pilot (and his Muslim name), deliberately crashing the plane.
CNN: Melania Trump being treated for kidney cancer issue.
MSNBC: Harry Reid being treated for pancreatic cancer issue.

weird how the latter two tend to be different than the former, yet make the same-themed headline front page news today

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 14, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

What’s that weird thing he’s got in his hand? A slingshot? A camera? A crutch?

It's a sling. You put a stone in the pouch at the end, then spin it around and let go of one of the strings sending the rock flying.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

kidkissinger posted:

It's a sling. You put a stone in the pouch at the end, then spin it around and let go of one of the strings sending the rock flying.

Missile weapon historically used by many militaries.

Terror rocks.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

What is the loving excuse for this??

Are Israeli snipers terrible shots?
Is the Israeli military incapable of defending themselves against rocks?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

pro starcraft loser posted:

Probably "Might as well", just another dead subhuman to them, this is the same group who routinely kill actual children and don't feel a loving lick of remorse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

david slew goliath with a sling.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

david slew goliath with a sling.

its so on-the-nose that the way its tactically ignored says more than actually addressing the root grievance lmfao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

they're trying to terrorize the protesters into fleeing. it's deliberate cruelty, torturing individual members of a massive crowd through a sniper scope

that's why the IDF has been using live ammo against the protesters, too. with tear gas and beanbag rounds, the protesters can stagger away under their own power when they've had enough. if a sniper wings someone in the leg, then they're not going anywhere unless they're carried off by a group of people, screaming in pain the whole time. and if there's enough tear gas flying too, they might get left there for a while, stuck in the dirt bleeding everywhere while choking on tear gas. occasionally the IDF shoots at the people who come to carry the victims away, just to instill that extra bit of terror. even once they're off the battlefield, they can't walk for a while and therefore can't return to the protests, and in many cases they end up losing their leg. naturally, the IDF prefers to target people who look like they're leading or inspiring the crowd or seem to have a lot of friends at the protest

of course, they've been doing that for weeks and it's so far failed to make a significant dent in the crowds of protesters. and it was expected that the protests would only continue to grow with the embassy move and Nakba day. also, bibi's approval rating has gone way up. so i guess the IDF decided to escalate the bloodshed

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Not the first Palestinian journalist the jews have sniped during the current Gaza demonstrations, either.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/996103819716169732

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Bring back the British mandate.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

They were aiming for the legs & got confused. Normal accident, most humane outcome. Nothing to see here.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone actually blame Arab Muslims for being anti-Semitic

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

guidoanselmi posted:

They were aiming for the legs & got confused. Normal accident, most humane outcome. Nothing to see here.

Even if it's to be believed that they arent aiming for center of mass, a .308 to the leg will likely kill you.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What's the body count up to?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Even if I accepted the premise that the wall had to be protected, rubber bullets and other less than lethal weapons exist.
Death to Israel.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Also:

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

they are as hateful and inhuman as the worst nazis, and they shot him while laughing and high fiving at how funny it was when he fell off his chair.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Peetown Manning posted:

currently in headlines:

FoxNews: "Monster in the Cockpit" a story about the Malaysian flight 370 pilot (and his Muslim name), deliberately crashing the plane.
CNN: Melania Trump being treated for kidney cancer issue.
MSNBC: Harry Reid being treated for pancreatic cancer issue.

weird how the latter two tend to be different than the former, yet make the same-themed headline front page news today

Between this and McCain, never thought I’d be saying this, but, go cancer go!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Death to weebs

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ornedan posted:

Not the first Palestinian journalist the jews have sniped during the current Gaza demonstrations, either.

Lmao yikes

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

NPR dick-sucking interview live rn.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Try to sum it up, I could use the anger right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Lemme guess Michael Oren espousing the virtues of IDF as the most moral army and the depravity of Hamas which hid behind civilians they frog marched to the security fence.