Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

imagine being an underleveled assassin with lower levels than anyone in the game, then falling off and having no reliable gold income. pyke just seems like it is not something i want to experience in any of my games, and as such i am using the “Ban” feature of draft mode to remove it from the game

I’m using my ban to ban your ability to ban it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

pog boyfriend posted:

what do i do in a losing lane as pyke..? weakly throw out tap qs?

probably cc folks

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

pog boyfriend posted:

imagine being an underleveled assassin with lower levels than anyone in the game, then falling off and having no reliable gold income. pyke just seems like it is not something i want to experience in any of my games, and as such i am using the “Ban” feature of draft mode to remove it from the game

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Serious talk, you do the same thing you do in lane as Alistar when you can’t engage, which is wait for your jungler to show up and dump your multiple seconds of CC on them for an easy double.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I mean he’s not entirely wrong. I’ve played a ton of Leona this season and if you lose lane it’s loving miserable because you can’t make any plays and die trying a lot (at least that’s what I do)

Edit: to clarify I USED to play Leona and now I’m a Pyke main

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

I poke when I can. I usually get a dorans ring to help CS with grenade and use W to follow my support. I generally come out of bot with a kill or two and at least equal CS or more than the other guy. What I notice is the midgame where things fall apart. I usually go IE, Boots, RFC, ER, Rage blade.

My in game name is enigma89 I play generally from 630pm est - 10pm est with a break somewhere in there for dinner.

Ok I'll add you later maybe we can duo and see what's up .

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
I thought about it for a bit and there's just no way Pyke isn't broken as gently caress. Like ask yourselves if there's a gank shaco couldn't pull off with a stun and a pull on his kit. Pyke feels like he's gonna break the game by chainganking midlane even if he's a lovely botlaner.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

kingcobweb posted:

I mean he’s not entirely wrong. I’ve played a ton of Leona this season and if you lose lane it’s loving miserable because you can’t make any plays and die trying a lot (at least that’s what I do)

You can still ward, which makes you more useful than literally every other assassin when they get behind. Also despite what Pog is saying the only part of his kit that makes him even close to an assassin is his execute ult (which expressly gives other people kill credit too) and maybe his stealth, which has zero combat stats attached to it. You still have a dash, you still have a stun, you still have a way to hook people who are out of position.

You also don't have to worry about catching lane CS which frees you to roam up mid or top or invade if things aren't going well bot lane; every other assassin has to shove in and risk a gank in order to roam.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Gonna namechange to “pyke and subscribe”

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
No hero with a hook is ever useless. A hook still means pick potential, especially combined with invis. His stun isn’t going to be good if he can’t build tank, and i like that its tied to his main mobility move. I think he’s going to be really interesting!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

You can still ward, which makes you more useful than literally every other assassin when they get behind. Also despite what Pog is saying the only part of his kit that makes him even close to an assassin is his execute ult (which expressly gives other people kill credit too) and maybe his stealth, which has zero combat stats attached to it. You still have a dash, you still have a stun, you still have a way to hook people who are out of position.

You also don't have to worry about catching lane CS which frees you to roam up mid or top or invade if things aren't going well bot lane; every other assassin has to shove in and risk a gank in order to roam.

I think his camo and dash will make warding with him feel safer warding, which is good.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Lethality Pyke gonna reinvent the botlane.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

a deep an earnest request from me to riot games llc: stop adding pudges, invincible samurai / ninjas, powerful one-shot stunwizards to the game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

duck trucker posted:

Lethality Pyke gonna reinvent the botlane.

Reav3 flat out said that Duskblade was a good buy on him. I think you might see Edge of Night getting picked up a decent amount too, depending on what his bonus health -> AD conversion looks like.

It might seem a little weird, but Zyra and Brand have both been in the game buying pure AP items for a long rear end time now. Meddler said in one of his weekly thought threads that an AD gold gen item's been on the books for a while, but it's been relatively low priority. Pyke's passive is a decent stopgap until then, since it lets him go Relic for lane (as well as handily preventing another tank Ekko situation).

Wangsbig posted:

a deep an earnest request from me to riot games llc: stop adding pudges, invincible samurai / ninjas, powerful one-shot stunwizards to the game

I agree. Please instead spend this time on giving Lux more skins. Thank you.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 14, 2018

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Where did they talk about his scaling? The reveal doesn’t mention it at all.

If he really is an AD scaling support, a) that’s cool b) Black Cleaver seems good.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

you guys are missing the biggest problem i have with pyke. it is this poo poo, right here:

"Pyke also converts his bonus health into bonus attack damage instead."

this is why i do not want pyke in games. if leona falls off, leona has a miserable time but can build tanky CDR and wait for junglers. same thing with karma, another aggressive(but very different) support. hell, support pantheon can go a bruiser lane. but pyke? he just gets AD. you can not build tanky with him. if your damage is not up to par, you are getting loving clowned on every time the enemy decides to kill your melee, low range having rear end.

the other thing of pyke is that he inherently wants to roam, because his passive encourages him not being in lane, his W certainly encourages him not being in lane, and his ult just screams "hey if you gank mid the mid laner getting money :)", which is a very bad thing to have from behind on a guy that literally can not get health.

E: hell, everyone saying "he can just hook guys so he is still useful". every other hook champion can build tanky CDR, except this guy. you are hooking people as a pure AD glass cannon. i want you to think about every time a blitz pulled someone and that someone killed everyone in the area, and then imagine that on someone who is building glass cannon by design.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
All the top and midlanders will look down and type “build tank!” and I’ll whisper “no”

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

All the top and midlanders will look down and type “build tank!” and I’ll whisper “no”

lmao. with all my ranting said, i personally would never play pyke and do not want to play him, but if you guys do want to play pyke... not saying you should, but definitely play with a twitch and be stealth bros.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Ah they mentioned the HP/AD conversion on reddit http://www.surrenderat20.net/2018/05/red-post-collection-quick-gameplay_14.html?m=1

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
can't wait to feed in some games as electrocute full AD pyke

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Where did they talk about his scaling? The reveal doesn’t mention it at all.

If he really is an AD scaling support, a) that’s cool b) Black Cleaver seems good.

It's on his reveal page, under his passive:

quote:

PASSIVE: GIFT OF THE DROWNED ONES

When Pyke is unseen by enemies, he rapidly regenerates some of the health recently lost to enemy champions.

Pyke also converts his bonus health into bonus attack damage instead.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I didn't even see that part of his passive. That's really cool favour-wise but makes him beyond worthless from behind. The Leona comparison is pretty apt but Pyke is like waaaaay sketchier than that. He's probably more like playing Eve from behind past 20 mins...loving terrible. He doesn't even have a great escape.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

You can't get a Draven cash in with his ult either :/

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Firebert posted:

I didn't even see that part of his passive. That's really cool favour-wise but makes him beyond worthless from behind. The Leona comparison is pretty apt but Pyke is like waaaaay sketchier than that. He's probably more like playing Eve from behind past 20 mins...loving terrible. He doesn't even have a great escape.

I think that's supposed to be the tradeoff for being a roaming stealth assassin support that can actually deal some real damage and has a bunch of CC to boot. I suspect he's going to become a bit of balancing issue due to how dominant assassins are in lower MMRs and how easily countered they are in higher MMR, a divide that Pyke strongly amplifies by being made out of paper for the entire game. He'll probably take a poo poo on people in lower MMRs if you know what you're doing with him and be one of those crazy one trick niche champs that four people in the region play above Diamond.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Wangsbig posted:

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Take that rune that converts cdr into ad and then build 5 black cleavers

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I was thinking of coming back to this casually after a very long hiatus and was wondering if there was a link or something for a set of Good Generic Rune/Mastery/Whatever that poo poo is now and how the jungle works these days?

I always tried to be proficient in every role so I just want some build ideas to make me Slightly Relevant.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Sarkozymandias posted:

I was thinking of coming back to this casually after a very long hiatus and was wondering if there was a link or something for a set of Good Generic Rune/Mastery/Whatever that poo poo is now and how the jungle works these days?

I always tried to be proficient in every role so I just want some build ideas to make me Slightly Relevant.

Your choices are:
Op.gg (champion tab)
Champion.gg
Probuilds.net

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Sarkozymandias posted:

Also, the most significant change in jungle if you haven't played is the removal of catch-up xp in the jungle meaning you actually want to farm your jungle less you be way behind the xp of your opponent. Graves jungle is the flavor of the month.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

8.10 cycle's winding down; you can get a preview of it on S@20. Pretty small patch, although the gameplay implications are big: support and jungle items are now mutually exclusive, trinket wards initially last longer but have a greatly increased cooldown, Runic Echoes is now slightly less poo poo, early jungle clears should be a little worse, and Rift Scuttler's spawn location is randomly determined after the initial spawn of two. Early ganking's less effective and there's more incentive to fight over Rift past the first spawn. Changes seem good altogether, although there's not a lot else of substance to mention in the patch.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 15, 2018

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

milkman dad posted:

Your choices are:
Op.gg (champion tab)
Champion.gg
Probuilds.net

Lolalytics is pretty good too, actually. Though you have to whitelist it on your adblocker of choice.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Vermain posted:

It's on his reveal page, under his passive:

Gonna play Overgrowth/Gathering Storm Pyke for double infinite scaling!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

d0grent posted:

Take that rune that converts cdr into ad and then build 5 black cleavers

Im now down to be a Pyke main.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pyke with Predator, Ingenious Hunter and Cosmic Insight, build an Edge of Night and a Youmuu's and wreck everyone's poo poo forever.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Shortest Path posted:

Pyke with Predator, Ingenious Hunter and Cosmic Insight, build an Edge of Night and a Youmuu's and wreck everyone's poo poo forever.

Predator/Taste of Blood/Zombie Ward/Ingenious Hunter/Biscuit Deliver/Cosmic Insight is probably gonna be the build.

Maybe Bone Plating/Second Wind in poke lanes.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

The champion is saved, the ult going to work with Draven now. I'm on team Pyke

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I havent played League in ages. Is Zac still good? I bought his swimsuit skin so I hope he is!!!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zac is still real good because no-one wards the areas he wants to jump from a lot of the time.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

I havent played League in ages. Is Zac still good? I bought his swimsuit skin so I hope he is!!!

Zac is a "nerfed around pro" champion, honestly. Everything about him seems like he should be perma-low Elo stomp, but he really isn't right now. Part of it is that his ult is about 1/5 as good as his old ult was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm waiting for that patch where Riot over-balanced the new champion for being too weak in bot lane, that pushes him to jungle because now he's over-powered, nerfing him 3 times, and then seeing him show up randomly in a year and a half because an item makes him broken as poo poo and then deciding he's too OP and making random changes that make him a mid-laner for the rest of the game.

e: According to Reddit he doesn't gain health from items, runes, or masteries AT ALL and only from leveling up, which is I guess is their attempt to keep him exclusively in bot lane.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 15, 2018