Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I really want to see the 39% who believe that he is a stooge of Putin and think that's perfectly fine and good tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alter Ego posted:

Democrats were +4 in 2006 and took both houses of Congress. I realize the Senate map is godawful but just :lol: if you think Republicans are keeping the House

this. The GOP is pretty hated outside their base and trump has only given that hatred a face to attack. i think they will lose the house, maybe the senate. whether they gently caress it all up afterward is debatable. the GOP isnt gonna get a super majority in November. you can only get so far with white spite.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Alter Ego posted:

Democrats were +4 in 2006 and took both houses of Congress. I realize the Senate map is godawful but just :lol: if you think Republicans are keeping the House

Before the 2010 gerrymander.

And Republicans had a 26 seat majority going into 2006. They had a 59 seat majority of the start of the current congress.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It will take more then +4 to take the House this year due to gerrymandering. Like, it would be technically possible but only like 20% chance. But luckily we’re looking at an average of. +7 in the polls and a regular overperformance that puts the number closer to D +10 which takes the House with 20 seats to spare.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Given all these attacks going on I figured I should get educated. What exactly is a Zionist? Someone who approves of Israel in the theoretical, or the specific? Do you have to approve of the government of Israel? Do you have to be culturally or ethnically Jewish?

In the past I've always defied Zionist as, "Whoever just used this word is about to explain how Jews sterilized his cousin," but it seems like it's rapidly becoming a big issue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

The 2010 gerrymander is still worth anywhere from 2 to 4 points over and above the natural demographic advantage Republicans enjoy in the house due to Democrats clustering in cities.

I hope Dems take the house, but +6 is nailbiting territory, and comparisons to 06's house districts are worthless

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

I will easily bet money or at least toxx that the dems won't win the house. Easily.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mystic Mongol posted:

Given all these attacks going on I figured I should get educated. What exactly is a Zionist? Someone who approves of Israel in the theoretical, or the specific? Do you have to approve of the government of Israel? Do you have to be culturally or ethnically Jewish?

In the past I've always defied Zionist as, "Whoever just used this word is about to explain how Jews sterilized his cousin," but it seems like it's rapidly becoming a big issue.

It's just someone who believes in the existence of a Jewish state.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's just someone who believes in the existence of a Jewish state.

So not necessarily Israel? Could you have a Jewish state in, say, the north of France?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Alter Ego posted:

discourse with celestialscribe proved to be some weird monkeys paw in the 2016, where prior iterations of this thread asked him to post a map a thousand times while he chicken littled so please don’t tempt fate again and just ignore them or make pee pee noises or something

skylined! fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 14, 2018

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

skylined! posted:

discourse with celestialscribe proved to be some weird monkeys paw in the 2016, where prior iterations of this thread asked him to post a map a thousand times while he chicken littler so please don’t tempt fate again and just ignore them or make pee pee noises or something

I said that Wisconsin and Michigan were in play. Turns out they were.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Mystic Mongol posted:

So not necessarily Israel? Could you have a Jewish state in, say, the north of France?

I don't think you'll meet many Jews that advocate for a Jewish state that's anywhere other than Israel.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mystic Mongol posted:

It depends. I suppose in the most basic sense, Zionism is the belief that the nation of Israel should exist in some form, and a Zionist is anyone holding that belief. It's so vague as to not really be particularly useful. I mean, I support the right of Israel to exist, but not as an Apartheid state and not with its capital in Jerusalem (or having sole control over Jerusalem). The current government of Israel is composed of people who are committing and have in the past committed war crimes, and I do not support them in any way. In the sense that I support the existence of the state of Israel in concept, I could be called a Zionist. In the sense that I very much oppose what the state of Israel is actually doing right now, I could be considered by some to be an anti-Zionist.

The greatest trick the Israeli right-wing ever pulled was convincing the world that criticizing the actions of the government of Israel is the same thing as criticizing Judaism itself.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Instead of reading tea leaves try going out and campaigning. We are the wave.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mystic Mongol posted:

Prior to 1948, Zionism wasn't explicitly about Israel. Although most Zionists generally thought that Israel was the goal.

After 1948, it specifically means someone who believes Israel should exist as a Jewish state to protect Jews from experiencing the anti-semitism and persecution that they faced during the diaspora. Zionism refers to the concept of a "Jewish Homeland" that exists for members of the diaspora.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Only Israel. If it's not Israel, it's not Zion.

Speaking of Zion, if you really want to delve into the history of anti-jewish propaganda I would highly recommend "The Plot" by Will Eisner. It's the history of one of the most famous pieces of propaganda.
*edit* apparently the Zionist movement considered other countries, such as Uganda, but Zion is literally Jerusalem.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 14, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

twice burned ice posted:

I don't think you'll meet many Jews that advocate for a Jewish state that's anywhere other than Israel.

Historically, some did, I believe. Now that a Jewish state exists where it does, I don't imagine you'll find anyone advocating for it to be moved.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/14/us/eric-greitens-missouri-governor-charges.html

"Prosecutors on Monday abruptly dropped a felony invasion-of-privacy charge against Missouri’s governor, Eric Greitens, whose trial had been expected to begin this week. The announcement came after three days of jury selection in the case."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ICMB posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/14/us/eric-greitens-missouri-governor-charges.html

"Prosecutors on Monday abruptly dropped a felony invasion-of-privacy charge against Missouri’s governor, Eric Greitens, whose trial had been expected to begin this week. The announcement came after three days of jury selection in the case."

Bizarre. Even so, the state House investigation and impeachment hearings are going through, so he's still in trouble.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Majorian posted:

Bizarre. Still, the state House investigation and impeachment hearings are going through, so he's still in trouble.

They're planning to refile through a special prosecutor. There is more to the story than simply dropped charges.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

moron labe

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nice

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

feels good to take my catch phrase from slave-holding pederasts.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

feels good to take my catch phrase from slave-holding pederasts.

Baby-killers, at that.

\/\/\/that's a good burn\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 15, 2018

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The weirdest thing about the moron labe people is that right after the blonde, blue eyed white Spartan said " Come and take them" the Persians were like "Oh, Ok"and they came and killed them all and took all their weapons.

They rally around molon labe, but there's a much more apt example of laconic phrase for them

quote:

King Demaratus, being annoyed by someone pestering him with a question concerning who the most exemplary Spartan was, answered "He that is least like you."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Instead of reading tea leaves try going out and campaigning. We are the wave.

No man if I can just figure out the magic argument that will contextualize the world I can actually do nothing instead.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eox posted:

They rally around molon labe, but there's a much more apt example of laconic phrase for them

Good, but peak spartan is their replies to Philip of Macedon:

quote:

A prominent example involves Philip II of Macedon. After invading southern Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, he turned his attention to Sparta and asked menacingly whether he should come as friend or foe; the reply was "Neither."[3] Losing patience, he sent the message:

"You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city.[4]"

The Spartan ephors again replied with a single word:

"If."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

I will easily bet money or at least toxx that the dems won't win the house. Easily.

Unless something massive changes in the next six months, you're gonna be out your account.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sparta sucked and i wish xerxes had ground them into dust.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Xerxes sucked and blew an inherited empire chasing dragons

The boomer of Persia imo

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Caros posted:

Good, but peak spartan is their replies to Philip of Macedon:

quote:

A prominent example involves Philip II of Macedon. After invading southern Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, he turned his attention to Sparta and asked menacingly whether he should come as friend or foe; the reply was "Sir this is a Panera Bread."[3] Losing patience, he sent the message:

"You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city.[4]"

The Spartan ephors replied:

"Nice meltdown."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's weird that you're using that as a conspiracy theory because Israel has been documented as sterilizing migrants of non-European Jewish descent

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

CelestialScribe posted:

Republicans to take the house is selling for $0.40 right now. You stand to make 150% return if you buy now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Ague Proof posted:

A prominent example involves Philip II of Macedon. After invading southern Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, he turned his attention to Sparta and asked menacingly whether he should come as friend or foe; the reply was "Sir this is a Panera Bread."[3] Losing patience, he sent the message:

The Spartan ephors replied:

"Post the map."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Possible explanation for the ZTE flip-flop:

quote:

China Contributing $500 Million to Trump-Linked Project in Indonesia

The Chinese government is extending a $500 million loan to a state-owned construction company to build an Indonesian theme park that will feature a Trump-branded golf course and hotels.

A subsidiary of Chinese state-owned construction firm Metallurgical Corporation of China (MCC) signed a deal last week with the Indonesian firm MNC Land to build an “integrated lifestyle resort,” as part of Beijing’s global influence-expanding “Belt and Road” infrastructure initiative.

The project will include a number of Trump-branded hotels, a golf course, and a residence. While the $500 million loan will not be directly allocated to any of the Trump-branded features, Beijing’s contribution of half the project’s total operating budget ensures the success of the broader theme-park venture.
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/china-contributing-500-million-trump-linked-project-indonesia/

So it's not direct ZTE->Trump's pockets but pretty close. Even if this wasn't an explicit quid pro quo, there's definitely an appearance of impropriety that would get a normal person in trouble.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Sparta was built on slave labor

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mobby_6kl posted:

Possible explanation for the ZTE flip-flop:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/china-contributing-500-million-trump-linked-project-indonesia/

So it's not direct ZTE->Trump's pockets but pretty close. Even if this wasn't an explicit quid pro quo, there's definitely an appearance of impropriety that would get a normal person in trouble.

No it can't possibly be a simple quid pro quo, Trump already rich he can't be bought

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Vladimir Putin posted:

Sparta was built on slave labor

You're deliberately baiting for the "so is America" response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I think Israel has a right to exist.

• Locked thread