Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Tae posted:

More info on Orochi 4. It won't be open world (traditional musou style) and will have split co-op.

Figured open world was out for this one, but hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
aw man I was really hoping we'd get more lovely open-world games

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's sad, because it's kind of a perfect storm of trouble.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

aw man I was really hoping we'd get more lovely open-world games

They still have that revision of their engine so I gotta imagine we will get more in it at some point.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I would assume DW9 Empires will use it, at least. It'd be such a wasted opportunity.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Heads up: I just spent my Friday night chilling to some Dynasty Warriors 4 and can confirm that poo poo's still real good.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Watching some old DW2 stuff and Jesus Christ the voices are just horrible. Not even good-horrible a la DW3, just... "special".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc6IEkAKvFM&t=17s

Lu Mong of Dao Ni.

The visuals in DW2 look so weird and rough to me. I know that DW2 was on PS2, but stuff like that map screen, along with the UI elements make it seem like something from the PS1-era.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not much difference with early PS2 stuff

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah it was out just five months after the PS2 launched in Japan, so, you know.

Also KT UI is fairly behind everyone else to the point where I expect ROTK14 to have Metro tiles or something.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

The visuals in DW2 look so weird and rough to me. I know that DW2 was on PS2, but stuff like that map screen, along with the UI elements make it seem like something from the PS1-era.

Everything about DW2 screams "TECH DEMO" when you put it next to DW3. Extremely limited movesets, no items/weapon upgrades, barebones detail on (very basic) maps, ingame draw distance inspired by John Carpenter's "The Fog", horribly basic UI, etc.. It just looks & sounds like a "Work In Progress"; even the character designs are so strikingly similar between the two games (with DW2 looking like rough work for DW3's final designs) that it's impossible to ignore. DW3 was only a year away at this time too so it's not exactly a far-fetched possibility that Koei just said "ah gently caress it let's release what we've got now and squeeze two games out of this project".

Or maybe I'm just super-cynical.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Considering how TK never puts anything on sale or lowers their prices over time (at least on Steam), I'd completely believe if it if that were the case. They seem like a pretty slimy company.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Their stuff is constantly on sale, I don't think I've paid full price for one since, uh, original WiiU Hyrule Warriors.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, even on Steam it's really just Nobunaga/ROTK that don't go on sale often. But they still have, and NA even had a free weekend at one point.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
This can't be true, because I have several of their games on my wishlist and they are all still $60, some are 2-3 years old now.

Checking sales and prices:

Berserk: $60 over a year later. Only gone on sale for 50% a few times, but is irrelevant because they're still charging full price over a year later.
Atelier Firis: $60, came out over a year ago. Highest sale 30% off.
NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Sphere of Influence: $59.99, came out 2015. Lowest discount 60% off. Again, irrelevant because $60 for a 3 year old game is ridiculous.
Attack on Titan / A.O.T. Wings of Freedom: $59.99, 2016 release. Sequel is out, which I hear makes this game redundant. 50% off sometimes.
Toukiden 1&2: Both $60. First game released 2015, sequel early 2017.
DW8: XLCE: $49.99 4 years later.
DQ: Heroes II: $60 at a year old.
Arslan: $60, 2 years old.
SW4-II: $50, 3 years old.

My point isn't how often the sales are, but the fact that they severely overprice their games. I blame the digital download format, because I can guarantee you if these were in a store they'd all be $20-$40 cheaper (depending on the age). A "deep" discount of 50% is irrelevant if the game should already be costing that 50% less to begin with. It's a new way to trick consumers into thinking they're getting a good deal when in the past that'd just be the standard price.

Edit: Koei isn't the only company I've noticed starting to do this, and most of them are companies that deal in mainly Japanese games.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 13, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

One thing I hate on the PlayStation side is that Koei loves to do "launch bundles" that unfortunately get delisted over time and replaced with regular bundles. The other day I wanted to play a Samurai Warriors game, but not 3Z because gently caress I don't wanna deal with that right now and not 3 Empires because while it's the best Empires game ever I 100%ed it already. So I thought about buying Samurai Warriors 4 and I went "Don't I own that?" and checked the PS Store, none of the bundles shown were purchased, so I was just about to buy it again on PS4 when I caught myself and double-checked my receipts online. Turns out I bought that "Samurai Warriors 4 Launch Bundle" on Vita years back then just forgot about it, and the only way for me to get it is to go to Download List and laboriously go through thousands of content items until I found it.

Thank God PS4 has that Library function.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I haven't seen too many cases of permanent price drops on Steam, no matter how old the game is.

It surely happens, no doubt, but not frequently enough for me to take that for granted. As long as the discounts are still going on from time to time, I don't mind seeing the same base price.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PureRok posted:

This can't be true, because I have several of their games on my wishlist and they are all still $60, some are 2-3 years old now.

Berserk: $60 over a year later. Only gone on sale for 50% a few times, but is irrelevant because they're still charging full price over a year later.
NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Sphere of Influence: $59.99, came out 2015. Lowest discount 60% off. Again, irrelevant because $60 for a 3 year old game is ridiculous.
Attack on Titan / A.O.T. Wings of Freedom: $59.99, 2016 release. Sequel is out, which I hear makes this game redundant. 50% off sometimes.

My point isn't how often the sales are, but the fact that they severely overprice their games. I blame the digital download format, because I can guarantee you if these were in a store they'd all be $20-$40 cheaper (depending on the age). A "deep" discount of 50% is irrelevant if the game should already be costing that 50% less to begin with. It's a new way to trick consumers into thinking they're getting a good deal when in the past that'd just be the standard price.

Edit: Koei isn't the only company I've noticed starting to do this, and most of them are companies that deal in mainly Japanese games.

This is how literally every company does things, if they're cheaper in the store it's because they're on sale in the store, publishers very rarely ever permanently reduce the prices unless it's on some sort of GOTY or Playstation Classics line or something. The difference with Steam and stores is that stores want to get rid of stock of old games and reduce them accordingly, Steam doesn't have that issue so they will always be the launch price until they're on sale. Physical games are cheaper than digital is a universal thing and not unique to Koei in the slightest.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Sakurazuka posted:

This is how literally every company does things [...] Physical games are cheaper than digital is a universal thing and not unique to Koei in the slightest.

I disagree.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:shrug:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

PureRok posted:

I disagree.
Yeah this is basically completely ignoring how developers have been setting digital market prices for the last few years.
Developers/publishers have been backing off hard from the heavy (effectively permanent due to constant sales) digital discount days from a few years back.

Example from another genre - Paradox Interactive and CK2/EU4/etc. Let's talk numbers, CK2 (2012) as an example.
Large CK2 mechanics expansion DLC was $5 base price back in 2013 (and cosmetic $2.50).
Base price was raised to $10 in 2014, though there were often 75% sales that brought it down to $2.50.
In 2016 66% was the best you got, at $3.33. Also around this time they stopped splitting cosmetic and mechanics DLC, so $15 base price became the norm
Those disappeared in 2017, now 50% off is the absolute max discount you see (so $5+$2.50 on the old style DLC + cosmetic, $7.50 on the newer "combos" ).

Oh by the way the base game still has its base price maintained at $40 for the last six years even though you probably would never buy it since any sale bundle will include it + DLC

Now, this is not to say KT's pricing strategy is optimal for their products
(imo they not be setting $60 as a base price for most of their crap since their game quality certainly doesn't support that pricing - we all know we're playing trash games that fulfill a specific niche, also why the hell is Nioh set at $50 instead of $60 when its one of their better products?)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 14, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PureRok posted:

I think my threshold for buying Toukiden 2 was below $30 and it just stopped being included in sales before getting that low. It (and Toukiden Kiwami!) are still $60.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Samurai Warriors 4-II question: so the game has those survival challenges, and I noticed that the first time I did each one I got a shitload of reward, but each subsequent time not nearly as much. Does that bonus amount reset weekly with the leaderboard or what?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

abagofcheetos posted:

Samurai Warriors 4-II question: so the game has those survival challenges, and I noticed that the first time I did each one I got a shitload of reward, but each subsequent time not nearly as much. Does that bonus amount reset weekly with the leaderboard or what?

Only the first time you finish each one AFAIK, unless you improve your result for a higher grade.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Only the first time you finish each one AFAIK, unless you improve your result for a higher grade.

Aww drat, thanks. The grind is always hilarious with these games.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Some characters are barely a grind at all if you get the right skills early *cough*Keiji Maeda*cough*. Just farm masses of xp and gold for turning up and slaughtering the usual 2k mooks.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Zeus is the big bad abd we lose playable Sophitia? Oh well.

This is bizarre, it's like the perfect reason to have Sophitia now rather than previously. Especially now that 12 Olympians are getting included is purely to get the 3K and Sengoku periods back to their roots? :psyduck:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dual Monarchy posted:

This is bizarre, it's like the perfect reason to have Sophitia now rather than previously. Especially now that 12 Olympians are getting included is purely to get the 3K and Sengoku periods back to their roots? :psyduck:

I imagine it's a licensing issue.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Last I checked Soul Calibur VI is in production so that might be why.

Dual Monarchy posted:

to get the 3K and Sengoku periods back to their roots? :psyduck:

You know, I can't exactly recall the name, but don't Koei have a series dedicated to the 3K and Sengoku periods that they could use to go back to their roots? Two of them, even?

I just can't remember what they're called, but I'm sure they'll come to me.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm more surprised Achilles won't be coming back. I know nobody cares about Legends of Troy, but KT at least owns that property and Achilles already has a history with the Greek gods thanks to them loving with everybody involved in the Trojan War.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I can understand why the weirder collaborations like Sophitia might not come back but what the gently caress is the excuse for removing ones owned by KT? I want Ryu Hayabusa, god drat it!

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Good news: I've looked into my crystal ball and all the crazy weird random characters will be back in Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate Complete Xtreme Edition in a year or two.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Is the Nobunaga’s Ambition on Steam now any good?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I had some fun with it, it was ok.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 17, 2018

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

The White Dragon posted:

i had some fun with it, it was ok

What’d you find fun and how is the ROTK?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It has the same problem as other NA games where after a while you get way too much territory to direct and manage, but the delegate AI is extremely stupid and the regions you develop by hand will be super powerful and the regions developed by your underlings will barely improve no matter how much gold you give them.

The combat is... hmm, you know I don't remember so much about it, I probably just used overview a lot and dropped my passives when needed. It wasn't as good as Total War I think.

The diplo AI is very basic and straightforward. You can force permanent diplomatic alliances under the right conditions, and eliminate a rival through that.

I liked it enough to finish a full game in free mode. Personally, I don't really care for the whole "good but still budget" 3D models they use and it would probably look really cool with, like, a "16 bit-style assets" option :v:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Which is the better Switch warriors game, Fire Emblem or Hyrule? Caveats: I haven't really played a zelda game since Twilight Princess, and the only FE characters I have any attachment to are from 7-10 (leaving me with just Lyn).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hyrule has more content than Orochi warriors 3

Also way cheaper since it has all the DLC and rebalanced things to better include them.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ZiegeDame posted:

Which is the better Switch warriors game, Fire Emblem or Hyrule? Caveats: I haven't really played a zelda game since Twilight Princess, and the only FE characters I have any attachment to are from 7-10 (leaving me with just Lyn).

FEW is mechanically better, but HW will probably provide you with better fanservice. Lyndis is the best character in FEW, but you get her extremely late.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

ZiegeDame posted:

Hyrule would be my vote. I got tired of Fire Emblem pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

FEW has some extreme cloneage. Not only do a decent number of characters in HW have a gimmick of some sort (say Zelda gets charges that change up her charge abilities) but even if they're just bashing in heads they at least are animated differently and feel different. FEW is straight up the exact same combos on different characters, it feels like taking a regular Dynasty Warriors games and making 80% of the cast generic officers.

It does have some QoL that I'm surprised didn't get put on the definitive edition of HW (why can't I see what the target time, kills and damage for an A rank on the pause menu?), but I got bored real quick after the story as it didn't matter if the adventure battles would make me use certain characters, they all played exactly the same.