Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

And More posted:

That's not really what I mean. I'll try to put it into words:

I think a number of things contribute to me finding the boxing a bit lacking. One thing is that the footwork feels slightly off. Whenever there are quick movements, the animation skips over the moment it would take for Joe to shift weight. So in episode four, particularly during the close-up of his legs, it looks like he's floating rather than dancing to me, and not in a good way. It's like the animator knows where the feet should go, but not how it would actually physically work.

The punching is a bit different, and it only bothered me in episodes five and six. One thing that takes any gravitas out of it for me is the constant slowdown. There is barely any moment where a punch connects at normal speed, so there's no flow to the action. It's just overdone. The constant cuts to close-up also make it impossible to keep track of the fight. It's not a big deal when Aragaki is just wailing on Joe, but even important dodges, counters and hits get barely any lead-up.

Of course, the other person who said that might find it awkward for other reasons. :shobon:

This was very well put. Thanks for taking the time to explain what you meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm behind on episodes but I can definitely agree that the footwork animation has seemed choppy to me on multiple occasions and it does take me out of the fights a bit. another issue that cropped up in the Samejima fight was the ring feeling like it expanded and contracted depending on the shot, rather than having a consistent scale. otherwise I've been fine with this being more conservatively animated aside from big moments, and having the design and direction carry more of the weight.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Darth Walrus posted:

Kamina’s death in Gurren Lagann is played entirely straight.

ive not seen it but as a shonen fan im probably obliged at some juncture to watch it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
re: spoilers,

i think talking about Joe's death in the original is fine because literally everyone knows that scene, even if you don't know where it's from you know that scene, and MEGALOBOX is pretty clearly operating on the assumption that you at least know that scene

however i think talking about more in-depth plot points, especially ones that might cross over to MEGALOBOX, without spoiler tags is kind of lovely

like, AnJ is a super super famous series in Japan, but it's nowhere near on the same level in Anglophone anime fandom (the anime wasn't fully subbed until two years ago and I don't know if the manga is translated at all) so it's not reasonable to expect everyone on an English-language site to be familiar with more than just the ultra-famous memes

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 15, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Eela6 posted:

This is the first boxing anime I've ever seen, so maybe I'm missing something / it doesn't compare to the classics, but boy have I loved these fight scenes.

Do you watch real box?

The fights are ok but it's (to me) obvious that they don't have the budget or the chops to animate some proper box movements. It's kind of difficult to explain but, in general, it feels off because they are obviously going for a more realistic approach to boxing, even if it's future-box, compared to exaggerated stuff like Ippo.

For example, a boxer like Joe who is trying to avoid being hit by jackhammers and who uses a peek-a-boo style should be bobbing and weaving all over the place instead of, well, taking it.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 15, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

trucutru posted:

Do you watch real box?

The fights are ok but it's (to me) obvious that they don't have the budget or the chops to animate some proper box movements. It's kind of difficult to explain but, in general, it feels off because they are obviously going for a more realistic approach to boxing, even if it's future-box, compared to exaggerated stuff like Ippo.

For example, a boxer like Joe who is trying to avoid being hit by jackhammers and who uses a peek-a-boo style should be bobbing and weaving all over the place instead of, well, taking it.

I do not, but I find the comparisons to real boxing interesting, so please keep them coming!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

re: spoilers,

i think talking about Joe's death in the original is fine because literally everyone knows that scene, even if you don't know where it's from you know that scene, and MEGALOBOX is pretty clearly operating on the assumption that you at least know that scene

however i think talking about more in-depth plot points, especially ones that might cross over to MEGALOBOX, without spoiler tags is kind of lovely

like, AnJ is a super super famous series in Japan, but it's nowhere near on the same level in Anglophone anime fandom (the anime wasn't fully subbed until two years ago and I don't know if the manga is translated at all) so it's not reasonable to expect everyone on an English-language site to be familiar with more than just the ultra-famous memes

yeah i'll probably talk about AnJ a lot in here cuz i love both series so far but i'll spoil more or less everything just for everyone

that said the following is my reasons for why i think its a legitimate masterpiece:

AnJ is not only an incredible boxing manga, tbh, boxing is ALMOST incidental to the story

it is one of the masterpieces i have ever seen dealing with class conflict and mental illness. joe is, from the very start, at odds with the world around him. he's a destitute orphan who knows no other life (whereas junk dog, to some degree, seems to have SOMETHING even if it isn't much). joe really is utter trash, and in the socioeconomic surroundings of the story (post-war japan) it means even more.

the series is roughly divided in two, of course, situated around rikiishi and his death. the first half has joe attempting, and nearly succeeding to break free of his depression/PTSD through finding a friend and rival in rikiishi, who shows him that even the lowest of society can sincerely make something of themselves. joe cleans up his act (to some degree) and reaches closer and closer to the distant star that is his rival, who, in turn shows him similar respect. he's joe's first and more or less only friend - there's a case to be made for mammoth and carlos later and potentially danpei but i would honestly say none of them ever really are friends with joe.

the tragedy of rikiishi's death utterly ruins joe and is conveyed in such a brutally realistic way. this isn't typical shonen where he works through the issue, it literally haunts him through the ENTIRETY of the rest of the manga, changing everything from the way he interacts with those around him, to the way he fights (explicitly) and then more subtly when he starts fighting in a less dangerous method. this event literally causes joe to become suicidal which, i believe, is pretty explicit - he will not back down from the fight with jose BECAUSE he killed rikiishi, who in his head, should have been in that ring instead.

so the latter half of the manga, to me, is a pretty brilliant representation of PTSD. seeing joe work through all of these issues and remembering that the poor kid literally came from absolutely nothing is heartbreaking and its hard not to cheer him on even as he is a horrible person to those around him.

surrounded by all of this tragic, personal story is a brilliant narrative of class conflict. i saw on twitter someone write about AnJ that nobody in it is ever really likable.. but that's kind of the point. everyone is ludicrously scarred. yoko, for whatever you believe of her in the end, uses joe and his body and career as a toy far too often to be morally absolved. she orchestrates the fight with harimau well after the point when she strongly suspects him of being punch drunk, and although she attempts to get joe to cancel the fight with jose, she cruelly dangled it over him for ages and strung him along so he'd be in his strongest shape for the match. although at the very end she's the only one to really "get" what joe is going for it's still pretty loving brutal that she allowed him to get in the ring when he all but admitted to her his brain was loving fried.

all this points to the ending which, although i know in a meta-sense was to some degree rushed, is completely a knockout. joe's death (and honestly, i think it's fairly blatant he dies) is both tragic and triumphant. joe went out on his own terms - for ages he had been beating the drum of burning to ash, of spending everything. and honestly i think anyone that's dealt with depression knows that exact feeling - it's not so much being sad in as much as it is difficulty of feeling ANYTHING. joe could only really feel in the ring, and jose was the man who could cause him to shine the brightest. the result of the fight didn't matter to joe, which is why he was okay with closinghis eyes and dying before it was announced - he got what he wanted, which was to burn brilliantly and then pass away. its poignant as hell to me, finally a man who had been sold nonstop was able to get exactly what he wanted.

all of this is to ignore the great side characters around him, danpei is a phenomenal one i think is really interesting (and i think the AnJ danpei is far better than the megalo box one thus far, but we had way more time w/ him ofc). he takes advantage of joe and treats him roughly in his own way, probably a lot less intentionally than yoko does, but still pretty cruel at times. that said i think danpei does love joe, especially after a while of course, but he is so broken himself he doesn't know how to create a real relationship.

i wish so badly there was a purchaseable english release of this series cuz i'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

trucutru posted:

Do you watch real box?

Yeah, they're constantly sacrificing realism for visual storytelling. I think he does a fair amount of weaving at the start, but kind of stops whenever things start going badly. As soon as he's about to win, Joe finally starts dodging and countering again. Along those lines, the shrinking and expanding ring during episode four seems like a clunky attempt at conveying how Joe's failing to properly get away from his opponent.

Eela6 posted:

I do not, but I find the comparisons to real boxing interesting, so please keep them coming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97hA59L7SYI

And More fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 15, 2018

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the cool thing about the gray out is like its a pretty clear visual shorthand for "this dude dead, yall" because its a trope............. fun thing to play with........

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I guess I'm sensitive for whining about spoilers for a decades? old anime but I'm kinda soured on them because I considered watching it after this series to check what the fuss is about.

At this point (and honestly from the beginning) I'm more interested in Yukiko's arc because there seems to be depth to her character and motivations. Also her VA and design are real good.

edit: Didn't really assume that either.
|
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 18, 2018

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dessel posted:

I guess I'm sensitive for whining about spoilers for a decades? old anime but I'm kinda soured on them because I considered watching it after this series to check what the fuss is about.

At this point (and honestly from the beginning) I'm more interested in Yukiko's arc because there seems to be depth to her character and motivations. Also her VA and design are real good.

Just because the original Joe ended with his ambiguous death doesn't mean this well end that way. This isn't a 1:1 adaptation, it's real doing it's own thing

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also Joe is about the journey not the destination!!! Being afraid to watch it because you know how it ends is like saying you won't read a history book because you know how it ends

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Great video and I still think it's a shame that the matches I grew up watching were the 90s heavyweight slogs. Somewhere in the middle is Mark Johnson; I'd probably warn him for ducking below the beltline and tell him to get his goddamn hands up, but that is some fascinating movement.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Joe's ending especially is so widely known that megalobox entire episode naming structure is steeped in it.

I literally have never heard of the show thats been spoiled.

Also the fight with Aragaki was rad, especially the way it ended.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 18, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man the presidents brother is a piece of poo poo.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 18, 2018

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

And of course the corporate shits wish he was the successor

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This show is incredible. Every episode is over way too soon.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So the chances of Yuri not being the final boss actually skyrocket now

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Mikio you loving piece of poo poo :argh:

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Oh man I really didn't expect that to happen.

This anime is so goddamn good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So something I've noticed is on a love of like cover art and promo art for the original Joe, he wears an orange hat almost identical to the one Sachio has. I don't know if anyone else cares, but I wonder if it's just a nod to the previous series or a potential tie-in?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Mikio you loving piece of poo poo :argh:

Also, seconding this notion. gently caress that guy.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Thinking about/listening to this show's ED song after completing any task (e.g. taking the last bite of a sandwich) makes it feel like the most grandiose satisfaction ever.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

AnJ has a full scanlation so I recommend anyone and everyone read it, it truly is amazing.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Along with Hinamatsuri, this is one of my favorites this season. I agree to an extent with some of the gripes about the way the fights are animated, especially if you're a boxing/combat sport fan, but I appreciate their attempt to go for a more grounded/"realistic" take on the fighting. To be honest, I think that approach can sometimes be trickier to execute well than flashier, over-the-top action, regardless of the medium or particulars of a given story.

I also have to agree with the sentiment that Mikio is more than a bit of a jerk. Plus he's using that silly AI-powered boxing gear! Looking forward to him getting knocked out.

As for the music, I'm generally a fan of it, especially the ED. Not a huge fan of the OP though.

Eight-Six posted:

AnJ has a full scanlation so I recommend anyone and everyone read it, it truly is amazing.

Definitely worth a look even if you're not big on boxing or sports stories I think.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I found the reversal at the end kind of interesting because if you don’t have any preconceptions from the original ANJ manga, you’ve been given very little reason to like Yukiko so far. She’s at the top of the heap in a segregated dystopia, she runs a nightmarish bloodsport, and she apparently keeps said sport’s champion as a slave. Plus, she’s apparently stolen the company from its rightful heir and is apparently willing to use some pretty underhanded means to ruin said heir’s reputation. Mikio, by contrast, spends much of the episode looking like the slightly more sympathetic option. He’s trying to get back his birthright, and he’ll even set himself unnecessary and difficult challenges to do it fairly and properly. Even his AI Gear apparently only builds on his own solid fundamental skills, according to the match commentary this episode.

Except, of course, that’s not actually the case - Mikio is a classist jerk, while Yukiko might not actually be so bad underneath it all. The thing I find interesting about that is that it’s a twist for newcomers only - if you’re at all familiar with ANJ, you’ll know that it’s pretty unlikely for the character based on the original Joe’s love interest to be entirely villainous. It’s one of those things where you wonder about the conversations the staff have had behind the scenes about who the show will be aimed at, what it’ll be trying to do for them, and to what degree.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I had no AJ context and could not STAND Mikio; the show made it pretty clear that his whole "you manipulated Grandfather" thing is totally in his head from the way it was framed, and the deal between Yukiko and Yuri has thus far read a lot more as "functioning partnership" rather than "slavery."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the "caged dog" metaphor and the fact that the word "owner" is frequently used in relation to those two made it look an awful lot like straight up slavery tbh

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Or there could be some other kind of whips and chains involved :smug:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

the "caged dog" metaphor and the fact that the word "owner" is frequently used in relation to those two made it look an awful lot like straight up slavery tbh

On the other hand, the way they actually treated each other said the exact opposite. Even when Yuri went out and fought Junk Dog in an illegal underground match without attempting to hide his real identity once he was there all Yukiko did was say he shouldn't be doing that. If she has him chained, it's by placing him in a gilded cage. A cage he probably has the key to, and doesn't use because he's comfortable and doesn't want to leave. It looks like Junk Dog will fire his rebelliousness not by showing him he doesn't have to be in a cage, but by showing him that fighting wild and without restraint can be more thrilling than the structured and technologically assisted sport he's used to playing and dominating for Yukiko. Hence, why Junk Dog's parting statement with Yuri after Yuri beat him in episode 2 is that he's not impressed by real Megaloboxing I suppose. Joe will show Yuri real boxing, and in doing so, unleash him. And honestly, it looks like there's a good chance Yukiko will be shattering the corporate box she's been put in too and not just Yuri.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ninjewtsu posted:

It's pre-fight banter and trash talk. Yuri has his own drat house and clearly consented to be cyborged.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Ugh, episode (08) was excessively stupid. But the climatic music was so drat good. I'm willing to pretend this episode didn't happen so we can move forward to the good stuff.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What was stupid about it?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The only thing I found stupid about this episode was Yuri's exercise muzzle and his discussion with Mikio about animals because the dog metaphors got old like 3 episodes ago. Thought the rest of it was fine.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

tsob posted:

What was stupid about it?

Everything was jammed together in a sloppy way.
- Why was the kid even meeting the underground boxing ring boss? There was no reason for him to even be there, and why didn't the boss just main/kill him when he started giving weak attitude? So stupid.
- The sense of timing and urgency was presented really poorly. None of the scenes flowed together, and there's a disjointed feeling of time for the entire episode.
- Nanbu getting a 1 on 1 meeting with Ms. Shirato? ALONE? On the day of the ceremony? Everything about this exchange was so loving stupid, like why does she even need to entertain this nobody with immediate urgency? And how is security not swarming after he grabs her arm? Just wow.
- Does the phone work or not? Make up your mind, show.
- Ms. Shirato's motivations and actions are just all over the place. It's not consistent with how she has been through the entire series. Joe crashing the ceremony brought no further convincing argument to the table beyond what was already said in Nanbu's meeting, yet she changes her mind.
- How the hell do you even get a motorcycle up to the stage like that in the first place, so loving dumb.

tl;dr: they only had 10 minutes worth of bridge material between the 2nd and 3rd Acts, and they really stretched to fill in this episode with nonsense so the series can move onto the tournament.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Your complaints seem pretty minor on the whole, and there's only one of them (the pacing/flow of the episode) that seems to have any real merit to it beyond small personal preferences and nitpicks.

AnacondaHL posted:

Why was the kid even meeting the underground boxing ring boss? There was no reason for him to even be there, and why didn't the boss just main/kill him when he started giving weak attitude? So stupid.

He's basically Nanbu's assistant, and given that he is mainly the team's mechanic and mechanical strategist his insight might be valuable dependent on what the boss says. Joe doesn't use a gear, but his opponents do and they were planning to meet with another engineer so Sachio might prove valuable dependent on what comes out of that. And yes, I'm aware Sachio wasn't there in the meeting with the engineer but he was just outside if Nanbu wanted him. I can't see why his presence is a problem. The boss also seems to respect people willing to stand up for themselves. Even in this episode, it looked like he was testing Nanbu and knew that there was some hope of pressing further but was waiting for Nanbu to say he would before he revealed Mikio's bluff and a possible informant that would allow Team Nowhere to go forward. As for why he was there from a production standpoint? Because it allowed the boss to threaten him in addition to Nanbu and Joe, which raises the tension of the groups need to win since now a kid is in mortal danger if they lose too.

AnacondaHL posted:

The sense of timing and urgency was presented really poorly. None of the scenes flowed together, and there's a disjointed feeling of time for the entire episode.

This I will agree with. Nanbu frantically checking his watch when there seemed to be hours to go and then later having a meeting with Shirato where he seems less concerned about time despite not actually having gotten anything yet among other things made his part of the episode feel quite disjointed. Outside his scenes I thought everything flowed fine.

AnacondaHL posted:

Nanbu getting a 1 on 1 meeting with Ms. Shirato? ALONE? On the day of the ceremony? Everything about this exchange was so loving stupid, like why does she even need to entertain this nobody with immediate urgency? And how is security not swarming after he grabs her arm? Just wow.

It was a 1 on 1 meeting, so why would security know he grabbed her in the first place? Even if they were monitoring from another room, it'd still take at least a few seconds for them to arrive. They're unlikely to have been though, since she didn't seem to want anyone else to know about the discord between her and Mikio or what she might do regarding the final competitor. As for why she'd meet him at all? She clearly wanted him to offer something that'd make her help him. She asked why she should trust him outright. She wanted him to help put her brother out of the competition and then decided she couldn't rely on Nanbu/Joe, but changed her mind in the end.

AnacondaHL posted:

Does the phone work or not? Make up your mind, show.

The phone works, the signal is just weak and was having problems to increase tension time before solidifying when appropriate. Signal fluctuations are pretty reasonable really.

AnacondaHL posted:

Ms. Shirato's motivations and actions are just all over the place. It's not consistent with how she has been through the entire series. Joe crashing the ceremony brought no further convincing argument to the table beyond what was already said in Nanbu's meeting, yet she changes her mind.

She was very obviously wavering even in the meeting with Nanbu. She rejected him, but she was clearly considering it. She was also right in front of her brother when Joe challenged her, which probably made her more emotionally invested in the idea on it's own. It also meant that Nanbu could get the detailed reasons for why she should help them out to both the audience and Shirato herself earlier in the show, but allow the episode to increase drama by having her refuse him while Joe could bust in with a simple argument and push her over the edge at the episode's climax.

AnacondaHL posted:

How the hell do you even get a motorcycle up to the stage like that in the first place, so loving dumb.

Not even gonna argue that, but it was cool so honestly I can't say as I care.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 25, 2018

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i thought this episode was a little messy in terms of scenes, order, etc but was otherwise fundamentally fine.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TriffTshngo posted:

The only thing I found stupid about this episode was Yuri's exercise muzzle and his discussion with Mikio about animals because the dog metaphors got old like 3 episodes ago. Thought the rest of it was fine.

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be some kind of oxygen mask.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

paragon1 posted:

It's the opposite. It's an oxygen restriction mask that simulates high altitude environments, but athletes have been using them recently for training. It's debatable if they even work/help.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

paragon1 posted:

I mean I get that it was meant to be training equipment, it was just really cheesy, obvious imagery considering the theme of the show and how unsubtle they've handled it up to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The ep needed a rewrite but the basics are pretty good. Like it's not a "characters did this just because the story demands it" kind of thing, like things aren't that weird. Yukiko's change in the end, for example. She wants to screw over her brother, but was blocked from doing so by the expectations of the board. Joe crashing the ceremony gave her an opportunity to capitalize on the excitement and make it happen.

I also feel it's worth noting that this isn't the first scene between Yukiko and Nanbu. I thought it was weird when it happened last but I guess they both have the same kind of clearance. They probably should have done more to make it less jarring but whatever.

This is a show about riding your bike very fast towards danger and even when things in this ep didn't work, it gave us that. The scene where Joe talks about how Shirato wasn't afraid of taking him on was a cool twist! I'm pumped for the next fight!!!

• Locked thread