Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

coolusername posted:

Finished the latest Murderbot novella. It was fun, but it really did feel a little too short? Like it's the first quarter of an actual novel versus a self-contained and satisfying novella. So I do feel it's a bit excessive to bring them out for $10 a pop when it's less a set of novellas and more paying by chapter.

But I really, really love Murderbot's character so the money will be purged.

There seem to be a glut of novella series recently. Some feel more like complete stories in their own right (Binti is closer to this) and others like just pieces of a novel (Brothers Ruin by Newman). I'm fine with the previous, but not so much the latter. And the Library keeps my pocketbook healthy in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Some of the things we call "novellas" now would just about have been a full book back in the middle of the 20th century--I mean you look at some old paperbacks, they top out at two hundred pages. The logistics of publishing meant that the price/printing/profit sweet spot became a bit higher over time and so books got fatter and were priced higher to match--and now with ebooks where the pagecount doesn't matter quite in the same way, we're back to more "short novels." I'm okay with that except that I tend to agree that full novel price for a novella is a bit high most of the time. Except for Martha Wells, she's been a favorite of mine for a long time so I guess I'm part of the problem.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm really excited to read this but I can in no way justify :tenbux: for it, especially because what you're saying here seems to be the consensus. A good friend of mine said he felt a bit like he was being conned into paying $40 over time for a novel-length ebook. Especially since the first one dropped down to $4 not that long after release.

This is my problem with the series, too. I don't mind paying full price for an ebook novel, but this really feels like she chopped a novel into several pieces and then sold each of them for full novel price and I'm not okay with that.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Let me tell you about this amazing thing called a “library”...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Khizan posted:

This is my problem with the series, too. I don't mind paying full price for an ebook novel, but this really feels like she chopped a novel into several pieces and then sold each of them for full novel price and I'm not okay with that.

Sadly this is about how much a normal length book would cost in order for writers to actually make anything remotely resembling a decent wage.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

Get the Powder Mage books from the library if you want to read them.

Django Wexler has the similarly styled Thousand Names series that's less fantastic and hews a lot closer to the actual Napoleonic period. It's good but I haven't finished it so I dunno if the last books go to poo poo.

Guns of the Dawn by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Apparently it's very good but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

thousand names is ok, i finished it and enjoyed the sequels but they are better than the powder mage series i reckon.

guns of the dawn is a standalone and i really liked it. it's a jane austin/bronte sisters style story where the middle daughter of an impoverished house is sent to war.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Khizan posted:

Then don't buy it and/or wait for the price drop?

Plus she's not the one that sets the price. Tor is.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

branedotorg posted:

thousand names is ok, i finished it and enjoyed the sequels but they are better than the powder mage series i reckon.

guns of the dawn is a standalone and i really liked it. it's a jane austin/bronte sisters style story where the middle daughter of an impoverished house is sent to war.

I liked Powder Mage better and it aged well in my mind since then. I remember enjoying Thousand Names and the sequels at the time but the good moments havn't stuck with me and the god awful relationship drama did.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I liked Powder Mage better and it aged well in my mind since then. I remember enjoying Thousand Names and the sequels at the time but the good moments havn't stuck with me and the god awful relationship drama did.
Yeah, that's the main problem with the series; the Napoleonic campaign stuff is fun and interesting but God does it focus on horribly written romance way too much.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, that's the main problem with the series; the Napoleonic campaign stuff is fun and interesting but God does it focus on horribly written romance way too much.

can only agree.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
New Humble Bundle, SUPER NEBULA AUTHOR SHOWCASE 2018 PRESENTED BY SFWA. I'm a little annoyed because most of the things I recognize as worth getting, I already got myself.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of good stuff in there, or so I feel--I already had the Earthseed from Butler and the Ellison but James Morrow is alright, Silverburg is a guy I prefer to get in bundles or from the library. Jane Yolen and Nalo Hopkinson are both ace and I've wanted to read The Mount but not enough to do anything significant about it. Delaney, LeGuin and Russ are all classic authors.

And then there's loving Chthon. This seems like the second or third time I've seen Piers Anthony in a bundle, the old pervy coot must be getting broke or something.

occamsnailfile fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 10, 2018

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished reading the 8th annual Year's Best Science Fiction (1990) edited by Gardner Dozois.

John Kessel's Invaders story peaked 3 pages in, however it was an amazing peak.

quote:

"Cocaine," the alien said. "We need cocaine."

The Dafydd ab Hugh, Terry Bisson, Ted Chiang, Alexander Jablokov, Nancy Kress, Connie Willis, Pat Murphy, Lucius Shepard/Robert Frazier stories were all good.

Joe Haldeman's story depends on how much you give a crap about Ernest Hemingway/the Hemingway mythos, and Michael Moorcocks The Cairine Purse had 25 pages of pure filler
upfront before the actual story started...given that the Cairine Purse was a 54 page story, that really grated on my nerves.
Neutral on the two Greg Egan stories in the collection, cups of cherry jello on moving sidewalks were more dynamic than the passive voice narration in both stories.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

occamsnailfile posted:

There's a lot of good stuff in there, or so I feel--I already had the Earthseed from Butler and the Ellison but James Morrow is alright, Silverburg is a guy I prefer to get in bundles or from the library. Jane Yolen and Nalo Hopkinson are both ace and I've wanted to read The Mount but not enough to do anything significant about it. Delaney, LeGuin and Russ are all classic authors.

And then there's loving Chthon. This seems like the second or third time I've seen Piers Anthony in a bundle, the old pervy coot must be getting broke or something.

I'm just wondering why Being There is in a SF bundle.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

darthbob88 posted:

New Humble Bundle, SUPER NEBULA AUTHOR SHOWCASE 2018 PRESENTED BY SFWA. I'm a little annoyed because most of the things I recognize as worth getting, I already got myself.

Damnit, like eight of them are geolocked in Oz and some of those looked interesting.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Selachian posted:

I'm just wondering why Being There is in a SF bundle.

It predicted Trump and Twitter.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

PlushCow posted:

That novel Children of Time is back on an ebook sale at Amazon for $0.99, https://www.amazon.com/Children-Time-Winner-Arthur-Clarke-ebook/dp/B00SN93AHU

I really liked it, and a lot of other goons did too. I gifted it to a couple friends, but one (who liked the Expanse books) didn't care for it and quit after 1/4th to 1/3rd of it, didnt like specifically the "alien" viewpoint and that just blew my mind, as I thought those chapters were some of the most interesting and fun stuff of the novel.

Is that the spider planet that pacifies the human survivors book? If so I loved that up until the end, it felt like such a disappointing ending.

Edit:
Oh yeah, and thread question. Are there any book series that give the Star Wars feel beyond Star of the Guardians and the Deathstalker series? Which yes, I realize are drat near carbon copies but it just works for me and I've got the craving again while not wanting to re-read one of those series.

nessin fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 12, 2018

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

nessin posted:

Edit:
Oh yeah, and thread question. Are there any book series that give the Star Wars feel beyond Star of the Guardians and the Deathstalker series? Which yes, I realize are drat near carbon copies but it just works for me and I've got the craving again while not wanting to re-read one of those series.

The Expanse series maybe? They're a bit more realistic than Star Wars/Guardians, but still a lot of fun. Or you could go really old school with the Lensmen books.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

nessin posted:

Is that the spider planet that pacifies the human survivors book? If so I loved that up until the end, it felt like such a disappointing ending.

Edit:

I always give the same recommendation when someone asks for that Star Wars hit. It’s Iain M. Banks’ The Algebraist. There’s a a mustache twirling villain, an Empire-like entity, rebels, the works. Even a chase through the wreck of a huge interstellar ship. You can see Banks playing with SW tropes, but he also mashes in all sorts of other influences, from Dune to British lads’ pulp fiction from the 1920s. It’s not a series, but the book is huge and the plot is complex.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

nessin posted:

Edit:

Read the MAGEWORLD series by Debra Doyle & James D. MacDonald. It so very non-licensed Star Wars Expanded universe fiction that I really don't know how Debra Doyle & James MacDonald weren't sued out of existence by Lucasfilm for writing them. The series follows a female lead character, who is the daughter of the notHan Solo & notLeia Organa, fighting the notSith forces who have reinvaded the galaxy after getting their asses kicked 30 years ago.

Here is the google books teaser description for The Price of the Stars: Book One of Mageworlds

quote:

Freebooter at heart, spacer by trade, Beka Rosselin-Metadi doesn't want to hear about her father whose rugged generalship held back the Mageworlds--or her highborn mother whose leadership has held the galaxy together ever since. Beka pilots spacecraft--as far from her famous family as possible, thanks very much. Then Beka's mother is assassinated on the Senate floor, and her father offers her Warhammer , prize ship from his own freebooting youth--if she'll use it to deliver the assassins to him " off the books. " Looking for assassins has a tendency to make assassins look for you. In short order Beka's arranged her own very public death and adopted a new identity; now all she has to do is leave a trail of kidnappings and corpses across five star systems, and blow the roof off the strongest private fortress in the Galaxy. If her own family can just get off her case long enough...!

Jaina Solo Fel = Beka Rosselin-Metadi
Jacen Solo = Owen Rosselin-Metadi
Anakin Solo = Ari Rosselin-Metadi
Jedi = Adepts
Sith = Mages
Lightsabers = Staffs
the Millenium Falcon = the WarHammer

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

nessin posted:

In addition to what's already been recommended, you could read Timothy Zahn's actual star wars books, especially the Thrawn trilogy.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished reading the 1997 Year's Best Science Fiction collection (15th edition) on friday.

Stephen Baxter, Bill Johnson, James Patrick Kelly, and Sean Williams/Simon Brown had interesting stories.

Gregory Benford/Elizabeth Malarte had the most realistic near future 1st Mars exploration story, with private corporations + 24/7 social media presences actually funding the expedition(ala Elon Musk's mars dream).

Peter F Hamilton's story continued the saga of the notHan Solo + his Lady MacBeth spaceship from Hamilton's Reality Disfunction series.

Robert Reed liked his story story in this collection so much, he expanded it into a book and a few sequels. The main character in the short story + books is never-wrong, and the universe bends itself around to prove her right in the books,
so I'd just stick with the short story version.

Greg Egan had 2 stories in the collection, and the jello on a moving sidewalk/escalator comparison still applies to the main characters.
Egan is on my avoid author list from now on.

Have the 18th(about 1/2 way through), 20th, and 29th Years Best Science Fiction collections left to read,
along with 5 other hefty sci-fi & fantasy collections. Androids Humanoids and Other SciFi Monsters + the Wesleyan Scifi Anthology look the most interesting.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is that guardians series the one by weiss and hickman? Where the darth vader character end the series as a monk farmer?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Finished Asher’s latest The Soldier and if you have read him, you know what you get. Nothing amazing about the story, but like always a fast paced action story.
One of the more noteworthy things was that the closest to a baseline human POV in the story was a Hooper. The rest were aliens, haimans, Ai and cyborgs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Collateral posted:

Is that guardians series the one by weiss and hickman? Where the darth vader character end the series as a monk farmer?

Yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Collateral posted:

OK, now I’m intrigued. What are the appropriate soil conditions for monks? Do you need to keep Benedictines and Cistercians in separate fields?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

OK, now I’m intrigued. What are the appropriate soil conditions for monks? Do you need to keep Benedictines and Cistercians in separate fields?

Don’t grow Jesuits, they will just take over the garden.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Cardiac posted:

Don’t grow Jesuits, they will just take over the garden.

And they’ll attract big birds

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I'm reading Raymond E. Feist's Magician right now. I was surprised at how solid the prose was, and the world and characters have more detail than anticipated. Very vanilla Tolkin-esque setting, though, and a typical coming of age/hero's journey style plot.

Any fans of the series? Does it ever get more adult?

Also, I realized about 1/3rd of the way through that Betrayal at Krondor, the ancient pc game, was in the same universe. Loved that game back in the day.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Don't know about adult but it stays utterly generic through and through.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

BananaNutkins posted:

I'm reading Raymond E. Feist's Magician right now. I was surprised at how solid the prose was, and the world and characters have more detail than anticipated. Very vanilla Tolkin-esque setting, though
Yeah, really makes the bits MAR Barker created stand out.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
That is unfortunate. If the characters stay interesting, I can deal. I read Thomas Covenant just before this, and that world was super generic as well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BananaNutkins posted:

I'm reading Raymond E. Feist's Magician right now. I was surprised at how solid the prose was, and the world and characters have more detail than anticipated. Very vanilla Tolkin-esque setting, though, and a typical coming of age/hero's journey style plot.

Any fans of the series? Does it ever get more adult?

Not sure I'd say it gets more adult, although it does get a bit less generically Tolkien in the second book, when the narration starts spending a lot of time in Kelewan. Of the four books, I think the latter half or so of Master is my favourite.

He's written a shitload of other books in that setting, most of which I haven't read, but I would recommend the Daughter of the Empire trilogy (co-written with Janny Wurts).

quote:

Also, I realized about 1/3rd of the way through that Betrayal at Krondor, the ancient pc game, was in the same universe. Loved that game back in the day.

Betrayal at Krondor owns bones. It was written with editorial input by Feist but no actual writing contributions from him, but I think they nailed it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just finished up Robin Hobb's last Assassin trilogy, kinda lost on where to go next. I go through stages where I read a lot then I won't read a book for 6 months, and I want to take advantage of it while I'm still feeling it. Looking for more epic fantasy kinda stuff. I've done most of the usual suspects as far as I know, just wondering if anyone might have some ideas, maybe some recently released stuff.

Last time I asked for a rec for the usual fantasy trope of regular person pulled into big things, The Misenchanted Sword was recommended and that was perfect, even something along those lines would be cool.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Last time I asked for a rec for the usual fantasy trope of regular person pulled into big things, The Misenchanted Sword was recommended and that was perfect, even something along those lines would be cool.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Paul Park's A Princess of Roumania series is good.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

In addition to what's already been recommended, you could read Timothy Zahn's actual star wars books, especially the Thrawn trilogy.

Also read his Blackcollar series because it's about how humanity's only hope against the alien invaders is ninjas. :krad:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

Also read his Blackcollar series because it's about how humanity's only hope against the alien invaders is ninjas. :krad:

Cyborg ninjas. wait, no, that was the Cobra series.

Zahn isn't one of the great authors but he is a consistently fun one. Other Zahn book premises include:
- a planet that eats metal and shits nanotubes
- first contact with aliens that react to radio the way we react to nerve gas
- a solar system that can only be entered by ships piloted by the recently dead
- NYC is full of dryads and gargoyles but they're actually alien refugees from Earth's distant past

Also The Icarus Hunt which is impossible to describe concisely without spoiling the poo poo out of, and the end is too good to spoil.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

Also The Icarus Hunt which is impossible to describe concisely without spoiling the poo poo out of, and the end is too good to spoil.
This is an absolutely amazing "two bros on a space adventure" book and I love it to death. It feels like Zahn tried to pitch a star wars bounty hunter / mercenary / smuggler duo but couldn't get it green-lighted into the extended universe because it was too close to solo and chewie so he said screw that and made it anyway. I really wish he'd revisit the universe or make it a running series.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

ToxicFrog posted:

Every time I see an ad for Solo I get sad because it's not Scoundrels: The Movie