Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I have one of these:

https://www.sisuguard.com

As far as breathing goes it's the most comfortable/least restrictive one I've tried. Still never been in the position to bite or be bit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I have never used one. Does it restrict your breathing at all? Is it easier to breathe without one?

A little bit, but you get used to it. If you're an explosive mouthbreather and the mouthguard fit is a bit loose, the blast of exhaled air can separate it from your teeth and pop off the guard, which is annoying.

Southpaugh posted:

I've certainly found it easier to breathe without one, but I don't actually know why thats the case. Muay Thai - Mouthguard not optional.

It's got some bulk to it, so if you're mouth breathing, the air is more blocked by hitting and going around the guard.
My teammate has a double-sided boxing mouthguard and I dunno how he does it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

JaySB posted:

I have one of these:

As far as breathing goes it's the most comfortable/least restrictive one I've tried. Still never been in the position to bite or be bit though.

I use these as well, they're super low profile so breathing/drinking/talking is hardly affected. I wouldn't wear one for punchsports but for general grappling they're great.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

I have one of these:

I wear those for roller derby and can confirm it's very easy to breath/talk with it in.

However, people should be aware it's less soft/rubbery and more hard/plastic.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Which one of the sisu mouth guards do you guys have? Looks like the Nextgen mouth guard is the recommended one.

Does anyone wear a mouthguard for judo?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've got both the aero and the max. I personally wear the max most of the time, for both judo and bjj. I'm sure it's just in my head, but the nextgen aero is SO low profile that I don't feel as safe wearing it. I also felt the nextgen was more difficult to mold, even compared to the"lastgen" aeros. They're cheap enough to order both to try out.

Word of advice though, avoid the white color. Inevitably they get dingy and you just look like someone with nasty hosed up teeth.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Just had my first instances where someone attempted to fight me for not showing him enough """respect""".

Guy has been a brown belt for going on at least fifteen years, in part due to work and injuries. He tore his Achilles tendon two years ago and has been easing himself back into training by taking privates. Today after open mat he shows up in the locker room and I make a clear joke about him showing up just as we're all packing up, another guy chimes in that he's going to a secret class that I'm not even invited to, we're all joking around, laughing.

He leaves to go to the mats and a few minutes later the instructor comes in and says he wants to talk to me. I go out and the brown belt is out there and he is irate. Says he wants to fight me right now, that he thinks it's unacceptable for me to finger wave at him for not training, yadda yadda. The instructor explains that I need to apologize, that I'm not respecting the belt level, this is a combat sport and I need to be more humble. Brown belt says he wanted me on the mats immediately to mess me up, but he got talked down.

I'm an adult. He's an adult. I wasn't even sure if it was a ruse at first because it seemed so ridiculous. I used noted deescalation technique of apologizing for my behavior, clarified I didn't mean anything by it and tried to not react to him trying to square up on me. I'm still pretty sure he played himself.

Am I a thug?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Fairly livid about your story tbh and I know we have already talked about this but tbh I think your instructor is ridiculous for siding with the brown belt and not laughing along with you guys, convinced him you were joking or at least deescalating it enough that the guy isn't an insecure little rager when you are asked to apologise/explain.

I guess him getting privates and putting in the money to get to brown belt means the instructor wants to keep him happy over you?

Neon Belly posted:

I used noted deescalation technique of apologizing for my behavio

Worst part of the whole thing, should of taken him up on his offer and punched him, bjj players think they are tough until they get hit in the face by someone who knows a tiny bit of wrestling.

(Wouldn't be right for me to not take the piss a little)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Meh, Brown Belt got his pride hurt and you apologized for your actions not meaning to hurt his feelings. At the end of the day we're all humans and your instructor did right by informing you that you hurt the guys feelings and maybe you should apologize. This isn't the first or last time a goon, or really any human, made a light joke at someones expense and it go over like the Hindenburg. You'd have been a douche if you didn't apologize or smacked him one, and he'd be a douche if he didn't accept the apology and move on. If I was the instructor I'd have a heart to heart with the brown belt that wanting to actually fight your gym mates over some ribbing is kinda real dumb.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've been training for 10 years I'm a brown belt who has a lot of life stuff in the way and I'm not very athletic or big. So I get rolled up a lot it's embarrassing.

And I still say screw that guy. Get some thicker skin.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

that guy has the smallest possible dick and balls and no belt will ever make up for it

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Defenestrategy posted:

You'd have been a douche if you... smacked him one

Nah, the dude asked for a fight and couldnt take a fairly funny non offensive joke, and got agressive about it, I'd of fuckin reinjured the oval office so he stayed a brown belt longer if he came at me with the aggression.

(This isn't true at all because most brown belts would crush me like a soggy banana unless they literally are pure pyjama bjj sports people)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Nah, the dude asked for a fight and couldnt take a fairly funny non offensive joke, and got agressive about it, I'd of fuckin reinjured the oval office so he stayed a brown belt longer if he came at me with the aggression.

Why would you ever escalate.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Why would you ever escalate.

The fastest way to hit a brick wall is to accelerate at it, makes you think

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am beginning to think Willie_dee may have brain damage from hitting too many brick walls head on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

willie_dee posted:

The fastest way to hit a brick wall is to accelerate at it, makes you think

Don't make a full-on effort post and then try to backpedal that it's humor.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

"Its a joke not a dick, try not to take it so hard" is always an appropriate response to "come at me bro"

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Don't make a full-on effort post and then try to backpedal that it's humor.

I'm genuinely sorry you feel my posts contain effort.

JaySB posted:

"Its a joke not a dick, try not to take it so hard" is always an appropriate response to "come at me bro"

I wish I had heard this 2 years ago.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Most judo players I know don't use mouthguards, but I think this is a changing trend in lots of sports, not just grappling/combat sports. NBA players are starting to wear them more, and I think theres evidence they help with TBIs.

gently caress, am I'm typing this out I'm thinking I should probably start wearing a mouthguard.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

In every class I've ever been in, we all make fun of guys who haven't been training. I've been told I'm getting fat on multiple occasions after taking a couple of months off. It's a pretty normal and fun thing that any reasonable adult will take as some friendly "we missed you" ball-breaking.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

In every class I've ever been in, we all make fun of guys who haven't been training. I've been told I'm getting fat on multiple occasions after taking a couple of months off. It's a pretty normal and fun thing that any reasonable adult will take as some friendly "we missed you" ball-breaking.

It's a pretty good way to identify folks who don't really have the mental fortitude to be involved in the sport.

It's one of the reasons our military humor is so harsh. If you can't take someone roasting you over some dumb poo poo, what's going to happen when you get shot at?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Going back to the Sisu talk, be careful not to leave them in a hot car. Managed to melt all 3 of mine today.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Local tournament yesterday: took first in a division of three! One match by two wazaris, the other by ippon.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

JaySB posted:

This is fantastic, even if I have a feeling it is going to get me punched. Worth it :hist101:

Fell Fire posted:

Local tournament yesterday: took first in a division of three! One match by two wazaris, the other by ippon.

Congratulations !

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Thanks for confirming I wasn't being some dumb idiot, thread.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Neon Belly posted:

Thanks for confirming I wasn't being some dumb idiot, thread.
That brown belt could never survive in our gym. There is a ton of ball busting that goes on all the time in our gym. Not really a BJJ thing but more a NYC/NJ culture thing. Everyone takes it in good humor, but to an outsider some of the poo poo that gets said would seem crazy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Usually, from my experience, when people start busting on you then you're part of the team.

Double Dumb of that brown belt coming back to exclude himself instead of just laughing along or talking back.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Usually, from my experience, when people start busting on you then you're part of the team.

poo poo we even do it on the mat mid-roll!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Xguard86 posted:

Nobody's ever busted on me at the gym, thank god

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I just passed my test for my yellow belt in judo today! :) I'm one step closer to not being hopelessly bad at hugging people.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Guuuuyyssss

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Cephas posted:

I just passed my test for my yellow belt in judo today! :) I'm one step closer to not being hopelessly bad at hugging people.

Do the needful and post the pic

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I don't have the belt or the certificate in yet, sorry.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
sounds like you don't have a yellow belt in judo then

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Cephas posted:

I don't have the belt or the certificate in yet, sorry.

old.flv posted:

sounds like you don't have a yellow belt in judo then

See, now you’re part of the team!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cephas posted:

Congrats! What's your favourite throw out of that set?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Thanks! I like o soto gari but I haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. I do like o soto otoshi quite a bit though. My dojo's pretty small and most of the other people in it are shorter than me, so I've been wanting to get comfortable with a variety of leg techniques.

My actual favorite techniques though are probably kesa gatame and yoko shiho gatame. Something about the principle of "press your weight on them in the most uncomfortable way possible" is just really intuitive to me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cephas posted:

Thanks! I like o soto gari but I haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. I do like o soto otoshi quite a bit though. My dojo's pretty small and most of the other people in it are shorter than me, so I've been wanting to get comfortable with a variety of leg techniques.

My actual favorite techniques though are probably kesa gatame and yoko shiho gatame. Something about the principle of "press your weight on them in the most uncomfortable way possible" is just really intuitive to me.

O soto is one of those ones that's super simple in description but has a jillion moving parts and little technical details that can make the difference between "I koed my opponent by accident sorry" and "I somehow threw myself". The most common important mistake that people make is leaving too much space between the hips. Fun!

Our dojo has had the opposite demographic recently - almost everyone is tall and skinny and our top competitor is short and stocky with a very tall and skinny division, so I've been working out good tall guy games for people, and then the counter games for her to use.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

'getting the hang' of throws takes years. Most elite players have 1, maybe 2 throws that they consider themselves good in or feel confident busting out in a competitive match. Learning a range of techniques is important for learning the sport - but don't hold yourself to unrealistic expectations about what is considered a 'good' technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Having / arriving at a signature move is one of the most satisfying parts of martial arts -- something that you happened to preferentially practice and refine until you really made it work for you.