Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Pierson posted:

Very good game but god drat it was chugging so much by that final mission I just can't go on. Is Unity just really bad or something?

A genuinely stupid but also probably helpful suggestion for the chugging: Delete almost all of your saved games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bubbacub posted:

Some of the air vehicles are pretty strong too. Getting headcapped by a Yellow Jacket from across the map isn't fun (except for the helicopter pilot).

Gauss rifles and helicopters. The perfect combination. :getin:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Fellow goons with nVidia cards who sometimes can't get the game to start - try killing off the nVidia Container processes using Task Manager and let them restart. That has worked for me with this game and also a couple other apps that occasionally wouldn't start after I'd played BT.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

NmareBfly posted:

Brings to mind a question -- what does that target reticule actually do? I never noticed it make a difference in any UI element in particular.

Right clicking an enemy brings up the detailed readout, but also locks your movement to only the positions you could see that enemy from. Really useful for quickly finding the spot with the most evasion charges that still gives you LoS.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dandywalken posted:

Cross war crimes posting, I think I know just the Brigador vehicle for you then.

http://brigador.wikia.com/wiki/Tomahawk

Able to fit both the full sized and 'tiny semi-automatic' railguns at the same time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Section Z posted:

Cross war crimes posting, I think I know just the Brigador vehicle for you then.

http://brigador.wikia.com/wiki/Tomahawk

Able to fit both the full sized and 'tiny semi-automatic' railguns at the same time.

House of the Dying Sun / Brigador / Battletech / XCOM 2's urban maps is a powerful warcriming combo

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

I dunno, I think I'll take this instead. Lose out on a little damage, but become the most annoying, nigh-unhittable, poo poo on the battlefield. TarComped ER Large Laser plus Guardian ECM on an incredibly fast VTOL is just rage-inducing.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

kidkissinger posted:

What's the in-universe justification for Mechs existing at all?

In reality I can't think of why you would want your weapons platform to be unstable with a five story silhouette.

In addition to the reasons that other people gave regarding all-terrain capabilities, there's also the matter of transportation and logistics.

Basically: mechs are piloted by a single person, with a minimal support requirement. They're less ammo-dependent, and not at all fuel-dependent. The amount of non-ammo consumables a lance of mechs and its support staff requires is not quite zero, but about as close to that as you can get. Combine that with their mobility and their ability to continue operations with serious damage or even missing parts, and you have a force that can apply big firepower for a minimum amount of required supplies and DropShip capacity. It takes very little to drop a lance of 'mechs for a series of raids, and with both JumpShips and DropShips in short supply, having a raiding or rapid response force so easy to deploy is no small thing.

Combat vehicles are more limited, require a larger crew, and are more finicky maintenance-wise. They also often use combustion engines, which limits their ability to use energy weapons effectively. So their logistical footprint is much higher, both in terms of the vehicles themselves, and their crew.

If you wanted to reliably hit three lightly-defended targets on a raid, you could maybe do it with a medium lance; to do the same with combat vehicles you might need two whole companies of them to ensure you had the right vehicles for each job, which not only would require a larger amount of supplies, but possibly also multiple DropShips. As you scale up the problem compounds: a single company of 'mechs still has a fairly small footprint and there are DropShips designed to carry exactly that, whereas as you approach multiple battalions of vehicles there are few options outside of extremely rare DropShip designs - so you need multiple DropShips for sure, and maybe so many that you need to free up multiple JumpShips, which takes them away from other priorities...

So, for the raiding warfare of the late Succession Wars era, mechs are the most efficient way to achieve objectives. As Lostech and newer tech filters in, upgrades and new designs make vehicles more viable for attacking forces, although their weaknesses are still easily exploitable in tabletop (especially since they are usually slow, and speed + control of range is way more important in tabletop). So later on, you get more combined arms in offensive operations. In this era though, combat vehicles are mostly used by planetary militias and detachments assigned to defend specific locations.

In this they do still have weaknesses too, even if they seem super powerful - remember that a vehicle dies if it loses a single location, and you can precision strike them, so for big stuff like demolishers and so on with credible armor that's probably the best way to go.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

House of the Dying Sun / Brigador / Battletech / XCOM 2's urban maps is a powerful warcriming combo
Not that I want to commit war crimes, but with you posting that I realize I've played 3/4 of those and Brigador has been on my wishlist forever. I should just pick it up.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Squiggle posted:

A genuinely stupid but also probably helpful suggestion for the chugging: Delete almost all of your saved games.

Or just move them to another directory if you still want the option to roll back.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
The SRMs/LRMs/MGs aren't hitting you in the head every time. A lot of the whining in this thread is just people being bad a recognizing confirmation bias.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Kin33 posted:

The SRMs/LRMs/MGs aren't hitting you in the head every time. A lot of the whining in this thread is just people being bad a recognizing confirmation bias.

In fairness, confirmation bias is a core part of the BattleTech experience, so the game got that right too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kin33 posted:

:allears:

How soon until you turn around to say that 90% hit chances missing ten times in a row is legit, to go along with three 10% chances in a row hitting is only possible if you are lying?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 15, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I punched out a black knight and now have two battlemasters and two knights. :stare:

Kenshin posted:

Not that I want to commit war crimes, but with you posting that I realize I've played 3/4 of those and Brigador has been on my wishlist forever. I should just pick it up.

They are all excellent games!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Flipswitch posted:

I just did the bit where she admitted to doing a chemical attack false flag style so maybe I take it back.

yeah, i was about to point this out. if you hadn't gotten there yet, that explains a few things

Fraction Jackson posted:

In fairness, confirmation bias is a core part of the BattleTech experience, so the game got that right too.

haha

seriously, it is. Upgrade your medbays and hire a 3edgy5me Kickstarter story pilot, stop worrying about it

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 15, 2018

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kin33 posted:

It's not literally every time every time but getting pelted by missiles on the moon killed my Glitch so fu

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Confirmation bias: When you finally get a +2 injury resist mod and now that mech never takes headshots in the first place for the past 12 missions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Gotta say, having a mission that boils down to "if a vehicle reaches this point you lose instantly" and combining it with fairly hardy vehicles that can basically cross the whole distance from sensor range all the way to that point instantly is... not the best combination.

These seem to vary wildly depending on the map chosen. Yeah one utterly sucks and they're two turns from victory, hope you brought lights! The other one I did had the road lead directly into my lance so I waited a few turns and the target vehicle just zoomed right into the middle of us and got stomped/

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Section Z posted:

Confirmation bias: When you finally get a +2 injury resist mod and now that mech never takes headshots in the first place for the past 12 missions.

You are right. The game is bugged to purposefully gently caress with you.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Section Z posted:

the biggest quod erat demonstrandum

armchairyoda posted:

If you haven’t run the KS “Phantom” pilot, you’re truly missing out on space-redneck vo work.

I have a non-KS pilot with that same VO, but his callsign is Hawg and it is 100% perfect

agreed though, space redneck is the best VO. "my momma coulda hit me harder than that!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A catapult just moved through an entire forest my units can only move two loving tiles at a time in to walk behind my battlemaster, kick the head to 1 hp then detonate it with a MG.

I'm throwing these pieces of poo poo in the trash. Rip Justice

E: where do you go to not hire rookies

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 15, 2018

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My battlemaster is just an lrm 20 +++, a bunch of mlas, and jump jets because i love maneuverability and jumping on lights in an assault owns.

It gets singled out over the highlander a lot. Not sure why. Also, how are y'all running your catapult k-2? It's my favorite mech but it's kind of lackluster without xl engines/endo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Catapult K-2 feels like it does the exact same thing as a Black Knight, except worse.

I got a Battlemaster and threw an AC-20 on it, but it mostly just blunders about while my Highlander, Black Knight, and Jäger to the real work.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My battlemaster is just an lrm 20 +++, a bunch of mlas, and jump jets because i love maneuverability and jumping on lights in an assault owns.

It gets singled out over the highlander a lot. Not sure why. Also, how are y'all running your catapult k-2? It's my favorite mech but it's kind of lackluster without xl engines/endo.

twin ac/10s+ damage

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Psion posted:

yeah, i was about to point this out. if you hadn't gotten there yet, that explains a few things

haha

seriously, it is. Upgrade your medbays and hire a 3edgy5me Kickstarter story pilot, stop worrying about it

my only kickstarter pilot is Apex who is surprisingly non-obnoxious

even if I love her less than Glitch and Extremely Bored And Cynical Russian Lady

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

winterwerefox posted:

twin ac/10s+ damage

2 L Laser, a bunch of Ms, and a couple small, max armor. Disco for days.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

GreyjoyBastard posted:

even if I love her less than Glitch and Extremely Bored And Cynical Russian Lady

Glitch's line that ends with "we've got work to do!" makes me smile every time. I also love the sassy southern lady voice set. There don't seem to be as many fun voices for dudes, other than Medusa, who makes me laugh a lot.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do I change which square I use to melee attack?

So I hear that Mechs sell for more than they scrap. This upsets me because the game never mentions this and I've been scrapping everything - however, are you all certain it's true? When I scrap a Mech I get a payout for the chassis and the gear goes into my collection. Are we sure that Mechs aren't only seeming to sell for more because a sold Mech is also selling its gear?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

SuperKlaus posted:

So I hear that Mechs sell for more than they scrap. This upsets me because the game never mentions this and I've been scrapping everything - however, are you all certain it's true? When I scrap a Mech I get a payout for the chassis and the gear goes into my collection. Are we sure that Mechs aren't only seeming to sell for more because a sold Mech is also selling its gear?

So the easiest way to do melee is to just press 'V' to cycle the targets within range you can melee, then you can pick a little dot at one of the sides to attack from. You can do it by just clicking too but its a bit more finnicky and annoying

edit: mechs in storage have their gear stripped too afaik, I don't think you can sell mechs that are currently in your bay and equipped with stuff

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Apex is actually a Skirmish mode/Beta pilot and has the pink "Ronin" icon rather than the blue "Kickstarter Backer" icon, meaning she's an NPC hand-crafted by HBS.

Which is why her backstory isn't terrible.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, I just picked up a space redneck lady and it is AMAZING. Maybe it's because I grew up in Louisiana, but I can think of a specific, 300+ church lady who sounds enough like that I get this weird disconnect and half expect the VO to mention making jambalaya for dinner with some tater salad as a side.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Conspiratiorist posted:

Are you using your morale abilities? Vigilance removes all stability damage and gives a 50% damage reduction buff, and Called Shot is, well, called shot - target the CT of a light and your alpha strikes should take them out. You might need to better outfit your mechs, too (hint: the stock loadouts are hot garbage).

Yea. I'm using them when i can. though I can't really used called shot because it has such a tiny chance to hit. For the others, is it better to take a shot or use the ability?
For new loadouts, I'm limited by what salvage I've gotten. The Centurion is stuck with an AC/5 because I don't have the 10 I'm supposed to use there. I'm not sure how I can improve my mech's gear.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Spoiler dat poo poo, yo.

Otherwise, sometimes the RNG is bullshit (like with head hits). Are you checking your to-hit chances before firing on the Locust? I often see them with 4 pips of evasion. You can always load and not take a mission if it is being particularly rough - the skull you see can have up to a one skull variance, and then the game can throw the toughest poo poo possible in that bracket at you. Other times you get lovely tanks and light mechs to deal with.

How are your mechs built? What strategies are you using? Its not hard to be cautious and slowplay it to let the suicidal AI come at you. Are you facing lots of LRMs that are knocking you over? What is happening that you are getting trashed while trying to shoot at a locust?

Oops, sorry figured that was something pretty minor.
And yea, I'm making sure I have a decent chance to hit when I fire, at least 50%, though i've put a decent amount into the targeting skills. And generally my tactics are a flanking maneuver around left or right depending on the terraine, trying to keep in cover and moving to get the evasion pips. Focus fire on the lighter mechs because as I've said, they seem to be able to do more damage because those locus small lasers always seem to get those crits to hit my mechwarriors.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

SuperKlaus posted:

You can only sell mechs in storage, and storing a mech strips everything off it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Psion posted:

post a screenshot of this, please

action shot or the mechlab, your choice, but I guess I'd prefer the mechlab both :v:

this is not a game I play with honor

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Xarbala posted:

Hooting and hollering in approval here

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

twistedmentat posted:

Yea. I'm using them when i can. though I can't really used called shot because it has such a tiny chance to hit. For the others, is it better to take a shot or use the ability?
For new loadouts, I'm limited by what salvage I've gotten. The Centurion is stuck with an AC/5 because I don't have the 10 I'm supposed to use there. I'm not sure how I can improve my mech's gear.

And yea, I'm making sure I have a decent chance to hit when I fire, at least 50%, though i've put a decent amount into the targeting skills. And generally my tactics are a flanking maneuver around left or right depending on the terraine, trying to keep in cover and moving to get the evasion pips. Focus fire on the lighter mechs because as I've said, they seem to be able to do more damage because those locus small lasers always seem to get those crits to hit my mechwarriors.

Called Shot doesn't reduce your chance to hit; the numbers displayed are the chances of a given successful attack to hit the location you're aiming at.

Vigilance lets you guard and shoot on the same turn.

MLas, SRM4/6, and SLas/MG are common and have the best tonage-to-damage ratios if you're struggling to at all deal damage. LRMs are good too for the stability damage. Lasers have a small to-hit bonus.

Honestly, it's hard to tell what you're doing wrong without more information.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

They actually address the issue of orbital bombardment in-universe. The short version is that during the two massively apocalyptic wars they waged the vast majority of the actual warships got blown the gently caress up (the smaller stuff you see in the game doesn't have big enough weapons to hit from orbit - they're basically the same stuff you see on your mechs) and things like nuclear weapons aren't used because of how out of control they got before. Everyone's got a stockpile of nukes, but they know that the next big nuke fest will probably be their last.

Think of it more like the US and Russia dicking with each other via lovely little proxy wars because they know that if things get really big no one wins.

Case in point, the Iberia, Ostergaards DropShip? She's a Fortress-class, probably the single most heavily-armed class of spacecraft in actual active use in the IS and Periphery at the time. And to be fair, she basically carries more armor and weaponry than a whole company of heavy and assault Mechs, and an artillery piece that's basically the size of a WWII-era railway cannon. That's still nowhere near actual WarShip weaponry, though. To put this into real perspective, the heaviest regular WarShip gun, the Heavy Naval Gauss? That thing weighs in at 7000 tons. The Iberia's total weight is 6000 tons.

Xarbala posted:

Oh hey, it's a budget-version Clanbuster King Crab. Nice.

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 15, 2018

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Just did one of those vehicle repossession missions at 3.5 skulls where the vehicles you have to fight are always backed up by some mechs. A Shrek, Demolisher, and two Manticores awaited me right next to their mech reinforcements. Apparently the pirates used their entire tonnage allotment on a Locust... and a King Crab.

I now have a King Crab :getin:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

To repeat what people have said, those low percentages when you pick a body part aren't the chance to-hit in general, just a chance an already successful attack lands on the selected body part. The percentage numbers next to your weapons are the actual accuracy and when you use Precision Attack those numbers usually go up by like 20%. Think of it this way: The game rolls your to-hit chance to see if a shot hits, then afterwards rolls to see where the hit actually lands. Precision Attack boosts the former and then lets you nudge your chances on the latter--the nudging getting noticeably better when you have Tactics5 and Tactics9.

A lot of the game is knowing when to move first and when to let the AI move at you, then take advantage of its mistakes and punish it. Always try to give yourself a turn of movement or so before starting to move in, keep your mechs Guarded until it's time to start shooting, and Reserve your turns when Guarded so you don't lose Guard status while at the same time forcing the AI to move towards you (because it's not terribly bright and won't abuse the Reserve system like you're expected to).

Lights are very hard to hit for low-level pilots but if you can lure them in close enough you can ignore all of their Evasion Pips with a Melee attack. Melee not only ignores Evasion stats but also deals a lot of Stability damage, and if you can knock a mech into an Unsteady state it loses all Evasion for the rest of its turn. No light mech has enough armor to survive more than a single turn at 0 Evasion. This assumes your melee attack didn't core it outright, like what can often happen to Locusts that get too close.

E:

Magni posted:

Oh hey, it's a budget-version Clanbuster King Crab. Nice.

No XL Engines so I had to improvise. And I did that by changing the values on MHarius' Ferro Fibrous Armor mod to give an entire ton in exchange for taking up a single slot per ton saved.

That said the ERLL deals 50 damage rather than 40 (basically a clan er large laser) and the LRM15 is a lot better for this setup than any SSRM2 would be.

Runa fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Conspiratiorist posted:

Called Shot doesn't reduce your chance to hit; the numbers displayed are the chances of a given successful attack to hit the location you're aiming at.

Vigilance lets you guard and shoot on the same turn.

MLas, SRM4/6, and SLas/MG are common and have the best tonage-to-damage ratios if you're struggling to at all deal damage. LRMs are good too for the stability damage. Lasers have a small to-hit bonus.

Honestly, it's hard to tell what you're doing wrong without more information.

Oh I didn't know that, so it's worth using called shot all the time then.

And this is the first mission I have taken since i switched thing around, maybe I should put my Lance back to its original configuration.

Oh! I had no idea Melee worked like that in this game. I admit, I haven't played Battletech since the first edition when melee was really clearly a desperation move.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 15, 2018