Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

The Ludlam dream is over, the Greens nominated some ex-Cop to run in Fremantle

gently caress da greens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

i think the +8 to turnbull on newspoll might have been legit as apparently tony had a +10 after a budget. it doesn't matter long term its just a weird trend

edit: an ex-cop, aboriginal, woman, domestic abuse campaigner and mum.

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 15, 2018

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

fiery_valkyrie posted:

From the mouth of the potato himself

Yes, I too think it absurd that police should be required to have a reason to ask you for your ID.

And if you aren't carrying id they should be able to taze you for fun

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
the accused Family Court Bomber trial started today

For those that don't know this piece of Australian history it's an incredibly harrowing read

quote:

Leonard John Warwick, 71, is facing the first day of a judge-alone trial before Justice Peter Garling on 24 charges, including four counts of murder.

Mr Warwick, who appeared in the dock wearing a suit jacket and shirt, pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The events for which he has been charged include the shooting murder of his brother-in-law, Stephen Blanchard, whose body was found in the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park on February 27, 1980; the shooting murder of Justice David Opas on June 23, 1980; the bombing of Justice Richard Gee’s Belrose home on March 6, 1984; the bombing of the Family Court in Parramatta late at night on April 15, 1984; the bombing of the Greenwich home of Justice Ray Watson, in which his wife Pearl was killed, on July 4, 1984; and the bombing of the Casula Jehovah’s Witness hall, killing one congregation member and injuring 12 others.

The Crown alleges all victims had some involvement in the custody dispute involving Mr Warwick and his ex-wife, Andrea Blanchard, over their only daughter, Trudi.

If you want an in depth look at what lead to this moment read https://www.smh.com.au/national/road-to-revenge-20140825-3e8yo.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gucci bane posted:

i think the +8 to turnbull on newspoll might have been legit as apparently tony had a +10 after a budget. it doesn't matter long term its just a weird trend

4 months later he was no longer leader

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

gucci bane posted:

edit: an ex-cop, class traitor, scum.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

I think Ludlam has well and truly burnt out mentally over his experiences in Parliament, so that's none too surprising. Although a cop (ex or current) that's a greenie? That's like expecting an army person to be left wing.

I have friends who are army people and very left wing. Just because it's a culture of mostly shitheads doesn't mean every person in there is part of that.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

You Am I posted:

I think Ludlam has well and truly burnt out mentally over his experiences in Parliament, so that's none too surprising. Although a cop (ex or current) that's a greenie? That's like expecting an army person to be left wing.

number three on qld greens senate ticket is an ex-army captain and formerly of the Veteran's party, she's also a trans activist.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Auspol June: Judging others by the colour of their clothes not the content of their character.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Auspol June: Judging others by the colour of their clothes not the content of their character.

Auspol June: as a white man i am qualified to judge people as class traitors and scum

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

nice to see you're still completely immune to jokes lid

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The political career of one of the Liberal Party's newest members, Lucy Gichuhi, is at risk of coming to an abrupt end at the next election.

Senator Gichuhi defected to the Liberals in February, making the shock announcement alongside Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who described the Kenyan-born senator as an "inspiration" and a "true Australian success story".

But the ABC has been told the party's right-faction has never embraced Senator Gichuhi — a social conservative — and is moving to install Adelaide City Councillor Alex Antic above her on the party's Senate ticket.

That would push Senator Gichuhi to the fourth position, which is considered unwinnable.

One source told the ABC that if Mr Antic is on the ticket, the former Family First senator would be "consigned to the dustbin".

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lid posted:

The political career of one of the Liberal Party's newest members, Lucy Gichuhi, is at risk of coming to an abrupt end at the next election.

Senator Gichuhi defected to the Liberals in February, making the shock announcement alongside Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who described the Kenyan-born senator as an "inspiration" and a "true Australian success story".

But the ABC has been told the party's right-faction has never embraced Senator Gichuhi — a social conservative — and is moving to install Adelaide City Councillor Alex Antic above her on the party's Senate ticket.

That would push Senator Gichuhi to the fourth position, which is considered unwinnable.

One source told the ABC that if Mr Antic is on the ticket, the former Family First senator would be "consigned to the dustbin".

Gotta make sure we have enough white men in the Liberal Party. We don't want those women-folk, especially non-white ones.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

“I am the son of coal miners,” he said. “You are the descendant of feudal mandarins. We have nothing in common.” “Perhaps we do,” murmured his Chinese antagonist. “What?” blustered Khrushchev. “We are,” responded Zhou, “both traitors to our class.”

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

gucci bane posted:

edit: an ex-cop, aboriginal, woman, domestic abuse campaigner and mum.

Oh a mum amazing.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Oh a mum amazing.

you're not a mum :colbert:

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

You Am I posted:

Gotta make sure we have enough white men in the Liberal Party. We don't want those women-folk, especially non-white ones.

The thing you need to understand about the Liberal Party, and the reason we don't have many women, is because we choose who we put forward based on merit. And this black woman, well, whilst she's proven herself a good member of parliament, compared to this untested city councillor? Ha, no contest. He clearly has more merit, just look at his skin. Did I say skin?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i mean, she’s not a great member of parliament - she managed to set off a pauline hanson witch hunt about international students because she provided incorrect figures regarding scholarships

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

we must protect the family first defectors

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

we will decide who defects to the liberal party, and the circumstances in which they defect

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Today in ironies, RBA is pro-wage rises, just not for its own staff, so the RBA staff voted for industrial action.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

bell jar posted:

nice to see you're still completely immune to jokes lid

jokes on them i was only pretending

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

froglet posted:

Today in ironies, RBA is pro-wage rises, just not for its own staff, so the RBA staff voted for industrial action.

yep lol. offered 2%--inflation is 1.9%.

They might fall under the 'cap' that the fed government have set for wage increases. The policy is awful: http://www.apsc.gov.au/priorities/workplace-relations/policy-explained

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

BBJoey posted:

i mean, she’s not a great member of parliament - she managed to set off a pauline hanson witch hunt about international students because she provided incorrect figures regarding scholarships

In her very slight defence I recall that she admitted she was wrong about those numbers, which, although is a bar low enough to trip over, is also pretty rare in politics.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

Compared to the rest of the LNP who's behavior, demeanor, personal lives and media management are impeccable!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

the accused Family Court Bomber trial started today

For those that don't know this piece of Australian history it's an incredibly harrowing read

If you want an in depth look at what lead to this moment read https://www.smh.com.au/national/road-to-revenge-20140825-3e8yo.html

Or if you prefer, a good podcast about it:

http://casefilepodcast.com/case-13-the-family-court-murders/

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

bell jar posted:

we must protect the family first defectors

She didn't defect from Family First, it was the opposite. After she replaced Bob Day, everyone else in Family First left the party for a completely unrelated reason :iiam:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
he Ukrainian government has made an extraordinary intervention on behalf of Turnbull government MP Chris Crewther, arguing a proposed boundary change to his marginal electorate would disadvantage a Ukrainian cheesemaker.

Mr Crewther, who first won the Melbourne seat of Dunkley in 2016 by just 1.4 per cent, is fighting the proposed changes. ABC election analyst Antony Green predicts the new boundaries would turn the seat notionally in favour of Labor by a margin of 1.3 per cent. The seaside town of Mornington, in Dunkley's south, is one of the areas slated for removal under the Australian Electoral Commission's suggested new boundaries.

Mr Crewther has been urging supporters, including the Ukrainians, to make submissions to the AEC protesting the changes.

In a letter to the AEC, Ukraine's ambassador to Australia Mykola Kulinich said he was "extremely concerned" about the proposed changes, and warned that the Ukraine-Australian relationship would "only be strengthened by Mornington remaining within the Dunkley electorate."

"I believe that the Ukrainian community in Dunkley will be disadvantaged by separating Mornington from the electorate, where many reside," the ambassador said.

"One example is the ever-growing Blue Bay Cheese that has businesses in both Mornington and Frankston.

what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xLUEMj6cwA

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Good thing section 44 of the constitution stops foreign governments trying to interfere in our electoral procesbhasdfhjaskf

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Good thing section 44 of the constitution stops foreign governments trying to interfere in our electoral procesbhasdfhjaskf

I have it on relatively good authority that the Liberals will run into the next election on a platform to heavily limit Chinese investment in Australian property as a price solution

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

No you see

"In discussions with local Ukrainian-Australians and those involved with the friendship group (which includes the ambassador) following the AEC’s proposed boundary changes, I raised that they (local Ukrainian-Australians) may no longer be in my electorate given the proposed loss of Mornington," Mr Crewther told Fairfax Media.

"At the end of the day though, Blue Bay Cheese’s and the ambassador’s decision to put in an objection was entirely up to them, off their own concerns about the impact on either their business or upon established relationships supporting the Ukrainian-Australian community.

"I cannot force any group or individual to put in or not put in a submission," he said.

He said encouraging the ambassador's submission was in no way promoting foreign interference in Australia's political system.

"The Ukrainian ambassador making public representations on various issues of concern to the Ukrainian-Australian community, of his own discretion, is not interference by a foreign power, as it is only expressing a viewpoint. Ambassadors do this all the time,"

"At the end of the day, the AEC or the Australian government make their own decisions on the basis of their own principles and authority. They are under no obligation to take into account the views of ambassadors or representatives of any country."

"Espionage or bribing/blackmailing someone (in particular parliamentarians) to represent a particular view is a different story, and would be foreign interference but that has clearly not occurred in this case," he said.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I sympathise greatly with the plight of South AfricanUkrainian CattleCheese Farmers

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The missing commonwealth games athletes hace reappeared unsurprisingly to seek asylum

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...449a98787736eaf

Lets watch Dutton gently caress this up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

The missing commonwealth games athletes hace reappeared unsurprisingly to seek asylum

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...449a98787736eaf

Lets watch Dutton gently caress this up.

Crucify him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Some of the 11 African athletes who went missing during the Commonwealth Games have been given bridging visas to stay in Australia temporarily.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has urged the competitors to give themselves up with the visas they were issued for the Gold Coast Games due to expire at midnight on Tuesday.

But the head of a service that helps refugees migrate to Australia says some of the 11 have already got bridging visas.

"I know some of them have already had interviews with immigration," said David Addington, the chairman of Sydney's Northern Beaches Refugee Sanctuary.

"I know that some of them have already been given bridging visas ... so you don't get detained."

Mr Addington was not personally involved in the athletes' cases but said he'd spoken to advocates who were.

Refugee Advice and Casework Service principal solicitor Sarah Dale told AAP her Sydney legal centre has helped a number of the athletes lodge applications for protection before their Games visas expire.

"We have spoken and assisted a number of people who were involved with the Commonwealth Games most of whom are from the African region," Ms Dale said on Tuesday afternoon.

When an individual lodges an application to stay in Australia they are usually granted a bridging visa until the government determines whether they are owed protection as refugees.

But Mr Dutton's office on Tuesday refused to say if any of the athletes had bridging visas.

He urged them to present themselves to Australian Border Force officers.

"If people have breached their visa conditions ... enforcement action will take place to identify those people and to deport them if they don't self-declare," Mr Dutton said in Melbourne.

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson says the athletes shouldn't be allowed to stay.

"I don't believe they have sound grounds. They came here as athletes and they pulled this stunt," she told AAP.

"They are being fed these lines by these migration agents and by refugee advocates in this country, telling them what to say and what to do."

The missing athletes include five boxers and three wrestlers from Cameroon, two athletes from Uganda and a Rwandan Paralympic powerlifting coach.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Australia gets to finally decide which it likes more: sports or racism.

It's racism

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
these Big Media Refugee Advocates are so strong they got in the heads of these Cameroonian's within days pulling this stunt, FEED THEM LINES says notorious racists being racist

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Sparticle posted:

Australia gets to finally decide which it likes more: sports or racism.

It's racism

nah, same thing happened with Sydney olympics. Out of it off the top of my head we got one good guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakio_Bika

and one complete rear end in a top hat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9ctor_Lombard

we like our sports people

and as much as I loathe Lombard him being given a visa and allowed to stay was entirely the right outcome

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Sparticle posted:

She didn't defect from Family First, it was the opposite. After she replaced Bob Day, everyone else in Family First left the party for a completely unrelated reason :iiam:

LOL the right wing are bleeding votes because they can't stop being racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Family First officially merged with the Conservatives, Gichuhi decided not to and so became an independent. Then she joined the Libs.

I have no idea who would get to replace her if she left parliament.

• Locked thread