Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's going to kill you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Maybe the robot would tell you that, but humans don't work that way.

Large organizations kind of do, though. If this particular design works well and its functionality is good enough to fill some role then it'll get bought, most likely by decision makers who won't really need to interact with it on a day-to-day basis anyway. Creepy robot dog failing is way more likely because it's useless or too expensive or whatever than because it happens to creep some people out.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
There's also the issue that biological systems have billions of years of evolution behind them which has allowed them to explore a fuckload of design options morphospace and so it is likely that many walking robots will walk like similarly-sized animals because that's an optimal configuration. People who think robodog has feelings just because it walks like meatbag dog and can't be convinced otherwise are idiots and need to shut up.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
No one thinks a robot dog has feelings but you can draw a drawing of a dog and people will get upset by its fictional suffering because humans millions of years of evolution made empathy that overapplies instead of underapplies so gets triggered even in places it is illogical.

https://youtu.be/dBqhIVyfsRg

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Have Boston Dynamics ever actually sold any robots? Their videos of walking robots pop up from time to time, and I remember they had defence grants to develop things like robots which could be pack mules and stuff, but I can't recall ever seeing anything about a robot they made which has actually gone into production, and they've been around for what, twenty five years?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Have Boston Dynamics ever actually sold any robots? Their videos of walking robots pop up from time to time, and I remember they had defence grants to develop things like robots which could be pack mules and stuff, but I can't recall ever seeing anything about a robot they made which has actually gone into production, and they've been around for what, twenty five years?

the current robodog will go on sale this year or next

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElCondemn posted:

The fact that they’ve continued work on this robot design for as long as they have is weird. Everyone that sees that thing is unsettled. The way it sounds and moves is just disturbing to people, how do the creators not see this?

No, nothing close to everyone who sees it is "unsettled" or "disturbed". That's some weird personal hangup of you and a few others.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

fishmech posted:

No, nothing close to everyone who sees it is "unsettled" or "disturbed". That's some weird personal hangup of you and a few others.

:same:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

Good point, I should make sure to run a poll before using hyperbole. A lot of people think there robots look and sound disturbing and unsettling, otherwise you wouldn’t be annoyed by all of us pointing it out whenever these videos are posted.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElCondemn posted:

Good point, I should make sure to run a poll before using hyperbole. A lot of people think there robots look and sound disturbing and unsettling, otherwise you wouldn’t be annoyed by all of us pointing it out whenever these videos are posted.

Man wait til you see a large metropolitan zoo sometime, you might be driven mad by the way regular animals look and sound!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

Man wait til you see a large metropolitan zoo sometime, you might be driven mad by the way regular animals look and sound!

What’s your problem? There are plenty of articles out there that use the same terms I did, just being a dick for no reason?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

The fact that they’ve continued work on this robot design for as long as they have is weird. Everyone that sees that thing is unsettled. The way it sounds and moves is just disturbing to people, how do the creators not see this?

This is such a weird take. Why would they care if it makes you feel uncomfortable? They're trying to A) develop technology and B) create something utilitarian. Turns out that design works pretty well. Whether or not it makes you "unsettled" doesn't matter at all - it's not a living assistant for your grandma, it's a utility robot made for the military.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

i'm the general who stops robodog acquisition because robodogs might creep out 3% of the enemy troops once or twice

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

suck my woke dick posted:

i'm the general who stops robodog acquisition because robodogs might creep out 3% of the enemy troops once or twice

thank you for your service :911:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElCondemn posted:

What’s your problem? There are plenty of articles out there that use the same terms I did, just being a dick for no reason?

I sincerely doubt there's a bunch of articles out there saying "EVERYONE IS TERRIFIED OF ROBOT JOINTS" etc.

Again, try going to a zoo and look at the way animals move, you'll find that not everything looks just like a common domestic creature.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

suck my woke dick posted:

Exactly. RoboDogs are marketed towards the military where purchasing decisions are made by people who never have to interact with the technology. Whether it creeps out the troops is a nonfactor. The Pentagon would buy giant mechanical spiders powered by eating the enemy dead if they were promised a lucrative "contracting" job with the company thought it was more effective.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

I sincerely doubt there's a bunch of articles out there saying "EVERYONE IS TERRIFIED OF ROBOT JOINTS" etc.

Again, try going to a zoo and look at the way animals move, you'll find that not everything looks just like a common domestic creature.

A simple google search reveals you're just an rear end in a top hat.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/28/boston-dynamics-handle-nightmare-inducing-hybrid-robot-google
https://www.cnet.com/news/boston-dynamics-gives-door-opening-dog-robot-spotmini-a-hard-time/
https://www.wired.com/story/watch-a-human-try-to-fight-off-that-door-opening-robot-dog/
https://nerdist.com/boston-dynamics-robot-dog-spot-new-upgrade/
https://interestingengineering.com/video/boston-dynamics-dog-robot-can-now-run-autonomously
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/boston-dynamics-trains-creepy-robot-12516513

Do you have some kind of point or are you just trying to prove how manly you are? Social acceptance of robots is a large part of the field, pretending like it's a non factor is stupid as gently caress.

GamingHyena posted:

Exactly. RoboDogs are marketed towards the military where purchasing decisions are made by people who never have to interact with the technology. Whether it creeps out the troops is a nonfactor. The Pentagon would buy giant mechanical spiders powered by eating the enemy dead if they were promised a lucrative "contracting" job with the company thought it was more effective.

I'm pretty sure even the military would give it some thought if they had a choice between a robotic spider squid that eats people and one that looks friendly.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 13, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Again, you're not producing any evidence that everyone is as psychologically traumatized as you seem to be by "this robot doesn't walk exactly like a human, dog, or cat". For example, most of your articles make no mention of the motions being intrinsically unsettling, but rather that the tasks the devices might be put to are - they are again mostly designed for military purposes.

It's not about being manly, it's about your assertion that everyone shares your apparent phobia, and how that's totally false. The point is that you're wrong when you go around saying everyone is terrified by their motion like you seem to be.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

Again, you're not producing any evidence that everyone is as psychologically traumatized as you seem to be by "this robot doesn't walk exactly like a human, dog, or cat". For example, most of your articles make no mention of the motions being intrinsically unsettling, but rather that the tasks the devices might be put to are - they are again mostly designed for military purposes.

It's not about being manly, it's about your assertion that everyone shares your apparent phobia, and how that's totally false. The point is that you're wrong when you go around saying everyone is terrified by their motion like you seem to be.

Are you done creating a straw man? I just said people thought it was "disturbing" and "unsettling", I just grabbed the first few results from google that used the words I used. I don't have a phobia, I never said I was scared of these robots, you put that on me because you're acting like what I'm saying is totally out of left field.

If you're at all interested in learning more about the topic, instead of constantly re-iterating how not scared you are, look into Cynthia Breazeal's work.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Obviously, the military doesn't mind spooky noises and I doubt that Amazon will refuse to use a robot in their factory just because it makes a spooky noise. Tesla, maybe.

Likewise, the robot would have to be absolutely terrifying to not replace delivery drivers for walk-ups as soon as it is cheaper to the company than hiring a worker.

Robots sold directly to customers, sure that'll require less bone-chilling noises. But reflecting upon the history and status quo of American workplaces, I see no really compelling examples of businesses giving a drat what their blue collar employees think about the creepy noises their machines make.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElCondemn posted:

Are you done creating a straw man? I just said people thought it was "disturbing" and "unsettling", I just grabbed the first few results from google that used the words I used. I don't have a phobia, I never said I was scared of these robots, you put that on me because you're acting like what I'm saying is totally out of left field.

If you're at all interested in learning more about the topic, instead of constantly re-iterating how not scared you are, look into Cynthia Breazeal's work.

Here, you appear to be suffering from amnesia. This is your post:

ElCondemn posted:

Fact: your weird hangups about how they move aren't universal. They are not disturbing to most people based on how they move and sound, but rather because they're being made primarily for war. Maybe stop posting things you don't mean if you don't want to be taken at your word.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

take you're meds

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

Obviously, the military doesn't mind spooky noises and I doubt that Amazon will refuse to use a robot in their factory just because it makes a spooky noise. Tesla, maybe.

Likewise, the robot would have to be absolutely terrifying to not replace delivery drivers for walk-ups as soon as it is cheaper to the company than hiring a worker.

Robots sold directly to customers, sure that'll require less bone-chilling noises. But reflecting upon the history and status quo of American workplaces, I see no really compelling examples of businesses giving a drat what their blue collar employees think about the creepy noises their machines make.

iirc, amazon alexa was sometimes cackling like a witch in the middle of the night, so lack of spooky noises doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for consumer adoption

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

iirc, amazon alexa was sometimes cackling like a witch in the middle of the night, so lack of spooky noises doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for consumer adoption

That was some primo cyberpunk, so good:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/07/amazon-is-fixing-alexa-creepy-laughter/

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
The way these robots move is cool as gently caress to me. Been watching their vids for like 9 years and its only gotten better

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Have you ever been to a zoo? Out of the millions of animals on earth they all tend to have the same general set of ~100 that humans find appealing and only have the weird or creepy ones in areas specially highlighting gross out weirdo animals as a novelty before you go back to looking at the cute/neat looking ones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Have you ever been to a zoo?

Yes, sorry about your phobias.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

The way these robots move is cool as gently caress to me. Been watching their vids for like 9 years and its only gotten better

Impossible! Everyone finds them horrifying and malign, ElCondemn said so!!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
He didn't mean literally everyone, he meant a lot of people. And that's certainly true if you look at reactions on social media. Whether "a lot" is 20% or 40% or 60% is irrelevant. Robodog will continue to be developed because it's not meant to be a companion.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pugs are also weird looking and make lots of dumb, disturbing noises and everyone loves them. If they paint a smiley face on one end and have it carry groceries and play Spotify people will buy the dumb robot.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doctor Malaver posted:

He didn't mean literally everyone, he meant a lot of people. And that's certainly true if you look at reactions on social media. Whether "a lot" is 20% or 40% or 60% is irrelevant. Robodog will continue to be developed because it's not meant to be a companion.

Attempting to backpedal someone else's "everyone" to "maybe 20%" to make a false assertion work is absolutely hilarious.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

fishmech posted:

Attempting to backpedal someone else's "everyone" to "maybe 20%" to make a false assertion work is absolutely hilarious.

It's hilarious only to you. To the rest of us it's a tedious derail that makes one remember self driving cars flame wars fondly.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Doctor Malaver posted:

It's hilarious only to you. To the rest of us it's a tedious derail that makes one remember self driving cars flame wars fondly.
I feel like the difference between 20% and 60% should be highly relevant to the person making the argument. Like if I were to say "A lot of people voted for Kodos, and by a lot I mean somewhere between 20 and 60%, who knows" that should seem suspicious right?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'll edit the post if you guys want, I meant to say "a lot". I didn't think I was saying anything controversial, I was just commenting that they haven't changed the design enough to prevent people/articles from calling it creepy and unsettling, that's all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doctor Malaver posted:

You're the one who attempted to defend the argument for no reason. You are the one who derailed.

ElCondemn posted:

I'll edit the post if you guys want, I meant to say "a lot". I didn't think I was saying anything controversial, I was just commenting that they haven't changed the design enough to prevent people/articles from calling it creepy and unsettling, that's all.

Again, it ain't a lot. The whole assertion you made and are trying to make is just plain wrong.

And no design could make it so that no people or articles at all would call it creepy or unsettling, that's not how media and talking heads work.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

no design could make it so that no people or articles at all would call it creepy or unsettling, that's not how media and talking heads work.

It would be nice if you looked into it, you'd find that there is a lot of research in the field that shows it is possible to build robots that people/the media don't call creepy or unsettling.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElCondemn posted:

It would be nice if you looked into it, you'd find that there is a lot of research in the field that shows it is possible to build robots that people/the media don't call creepy or unsettling.

There is no such research that is accurate, because this is a world where people will say a kid's TV show is haunted and creepy forever because of a badly compressed screenshot of some frame of the video where it kinda looks like a background character has spooky eyes. Additionally some youtuber who got bored of photographing corpses will claim that FuckBot 5000 is secretly creepy to get clicks before he moves onto torching cars and calling it "just a prank".

Also a bunch of people are hosed in the head and read normal things as creepy and unsettling all the time. No amount of product design is going to fix that.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

There is no such research that is accurate, because this is a world where people will say a kid's TV show is haunted and creepy forever because of a badly compressed screenshot of some frame of the video where it kinda looks like a background character has spooky eyes. Additionally some youtuber who got bored of photographing corpses will claim that FuckBot 5000 is secretly creepy to get clicks before he moves onto torching cars and calling it "just a prank".

Also a bunch of people are hosed in the head and read normal things as creepy and unsettling all the time. No amount of product design is going to fix that.

Please look into Cynthia Breazeal's work, you're just making poo poo up. You haven't done any research and are blatantly just dismissing the work in the field, as if you just inherently know better. You really don't know what you're talking about.

edit: here's her website in case you have trouble finding the relevant information http://cynthiabreazeal.media.mit.edu
she's also not the only one in the field doing this research, there are lots of resources if you are actually interested in learning about this stuff.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 15, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElCondemn posted:

Please look into Cynthia Breazeal's work, you're just making poo poo up. You haven't done any research and are blatantly just dismissing the work in the field, as if you just inherently know better. You really don't know what you're talking about.

edit: here's her website in case you have trouble finding the relevant information http://cynthiabreazeal.media.mit.edu
she's also not the only one in the field doing this research, there are lots of resources if you are actually interested in learning about this stuff.

I really don't care about whatever researcher you're talking about, who you claim says it's possible to make something no one will say is creepy or unsettling. Because that is a false claim, and as such you're grossly oversimplifying or misrepresenting their work. No sensible researcher would ever claim you can make a perfectly inoffensive product.

Again, just try looking at media sometime, and how quick people will spin up things like the SATANIC RITUAL ABUSE panic of the 80s over literally nothing at all real.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

fishmech posted:

I really don't care about whatever researcher you're talking about, who you claim says it's possible to make something no one will say is creepy or unsettling. Because that is a false claim, and as such you're grossly oversimplifying or misrepresenting their work. No sensible researcher would ever claim you can make a perfectly inoffensive product.

Again, just try looking at media sometime, and how quick people will spin up things like the SATANIC RITUAL ABUSE panic of the 80s over literally nothing at all real.

You're right, nothing is absolute, good job adding nothing to the conversation and learning absolutely nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElCondemn posted:

You're right, nothing is absolute, good job adding nothing to the conversation and learning absolutely nothing.

There's nothing to learn here dude. You made a bullshit claim, tried to back up with something that doesn't even approach backing it up. Perhaps you should learn to not lie?