Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
If you're doing civil mediations, you need a loving ton of trial experience. You need to be able to know that poo poo inside and out because the lawyers probably will.

Family you can do without being a judge. I don't think you have the necessary emotional depth and empathy to do it well. I've done a ton as an attorney. They're brutal. The good ones are amazing and incredibly empathetic and wise.

Roger, it still amazes me how smart and manipulative Judge Harris the mediator is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
My coworker had a full days mediation in front of a JAMS mediator at like $1000/hr and at the end the other side complained the mediator was unfair and the mediator gave back the other side’s half of the fee

Didn’t give it back to our client

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toona the Cat posted:

Has anyone here ever done any work as a mediator/arbitrator? A former professor mine suggested that as something I might want to consider.

My dad does it. He is considered one of the best litigators in town, every lawyer knows who he is here, hired half the bench when they were baby lawyers, and he's been doing it since the mid-70s. He does it for fun, which is good, because he doesn't make much money on it.
I don't think he actively markets and does a bunch of a pro bono basis, so ymmv but still.

Edit: My dad also does pro bono tenant side law with legal aid for fun. He's wierd. He really wants a lovely landlord attorney to go to trial with him, but no takers on anything remotely winnable.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 15, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

^^^^ i wonder if my dad is still alive

EwokEntourage posted:

My coworker had a full days mediation in front of a JAMS mediator at like $1000/hr and at the end the other side complained the mediator was unfair and the mediator gave back the other side’s half of the fee

Struggling to think how a mediator can be unfair. I had one abuse my client a bit. My client, who usually mediates 20+ cases a year with that guy, will no longer hire him.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 15, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

EwokEntourage posted:

Why didn’t you complain?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I haven't posted in the lawyer megathreads in years, but I wanted to check in to see if anyone is still doing the big law or in house thing. I've moved from a senior in house counsel role since I last posted to a big law partner.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 15, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

I haven't posted in the lawyer megathreads in years, but I wanted to check in to see if anyone is still doing the big law or in house thing. I've moved from a senior in house counsel role since I last posted to a big law partner.

What's it like having essentially limitless resources? Are you investing in Bordeaux futures?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Vox Nihili posted:

What's it like having essentially limitless resources? Are you investing in Bordeaux futures?
It's so not like that. More comp and more responsibility but way more stress. I'm going to be up all night writing a letter to a regulator.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Why'd you go from in-house to biglaw?

edit: oh biglaw partner.

still.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

CaptainScraps posted:

If you're doing civil mediations, you need a loving ton of trial experience. You need to be able to know that poo poo inside and out because the lawyers probably will.

I dunno about that. My office might have one to three trials a year. And the vast majority of the mediations I’ve been to have been about the likelihood of SJ/available damages. Maybe that’s just my practice area, though.

My one piece of advice would be to never hire someone who mediates as an arbitrator. The combo folks I’ve worked with are way too wishy washy in arbitration—too used to the mindset of pushing parties to agree. I also think people are naturally suited to one or the other. I think I’d be a great arbitrator, but I know I would be a god awful mediator.

Yuns posted:

Whattup. I work at a big law firm, and my wife is in house after having her fill of M&A all nighters.

Did the firm bring you in as equity, or are you non-equity till they see some business generation? You decide to go with a firm you used as OC?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
My poor assistant doesn’t know it yet, but tomorrow is a binder day.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Abugadu posted:

Why'd you go from in-house to biglaw?

edit: oh biglaw partner.

still.
I was senior enough inhouse that there was no room to move up unless I was going to get the GC or number 2 DGC seat at one of the largest financial services companies in the world. Rather than wait a decade to find out I decided to go back to private practice. Everyone told me I was crazy to do it. Verdict is still out on that. Back when I was in house I actually posted twice in this thread (in 2011 and 2012) trying to hire people to work for me in house. I got no resumes.

Omerta posted:

Whattup. I work at a big law firm, and my wife is in house after having her fill of M&A all nighters.

Did the firm bring you in as equity, or are you non-equity till they see some business generation? You decide to go with a firm you used as OC?
Straight out of inhouse I was senior counsel then nonequity now to equity (not all at the same firm). Didn't go to a firm I used but I brought my company in as a client.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 15, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
What is the cutoff for biglaw? How many lawyers?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

No real definition but I would call it typically full service firms with 250+ lawyers (AmLaw100/NLJ250 firms).

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Why didn’t you complain?

Mediator didn’t do anything wrong, OC was just a incredible jackass

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Yuns posted:

. Back when I was in house I actually posted twice in this thread (in 2011 and 2012) trying to hire people to work for me in house. I got no resumes.

Well poo poo, I wish I'd been reading this thread back then. I got an interview request yesterday from a place I don't want to work that I applied to anyways and have been a ball of stress and lost sleep over it which is probably not the greatest sign. plaintiff's eviction firm for slumlords, lots of driving, no idea on pay.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

Well poo poo, I wish I'd been reading this thread back then. I got an interview request yesterday from a place I don't want to work that I applied to anyways and have been a ball of stress and lost sleep over it which is probably not the greatest sign. plaintiff's eviction firm for slumlords, lots of driving, no idea on pay.

I feel ya. I got turned down for some municipal gigs, haven't heard back the in-house job nor the prosecutor's office. Not holding my breath, the local market is loving killer here. There's really nothing quite like job hunting to make yourself feel unqualified for everything and crush your self-esteem.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nice piece of fish posted:

I feel ya. I got turned down for some municipal gigs, haven't heard back the in-house job nor the prosecutor's office. Not holding my breath, the local market is loving killer here. There's really nothing quite like job hunting to make yourself feel unqualified for everything and crush your self-esteem.

Yeah, and the only jobs I appear qualified for are ones I hate the idea of doing. I actually dug up the old posting and the pay level was low enough to make me realize that if I'm already this worked up about working there I shouldn't do it for insufficient pay

back to the drawing board I guess

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've done the bar-sanctioned mediation training, so I'm a 'qualified' mediator. My county has a "Low Cost Mediation" program where attorneys can volunteer to mediate cases for free. 99% of them are family law mediations - I don't do family law - every few months they get a low stakes civil suit come through and I get the call to mediate it.

I've probably done about 10 of them over the years, and many attorneys know I 'can' mediate cases.

I've never gotten a single call about mediating a case; there are a couple retired judges in town who have the market cornered, and a couple of attorneys who're known for mediating certain types of cases. I've got as much of a foot in the door as a young, inexperienced mediator could have, but it would take a gargantuan effort and probably a couple of timely deaths for me to break into our market as a mediator.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Omerta posted:

I dunno about that. My office might have one to three trials a year. And the vast majority of the mediations I’ve been to have been about the likelihood of SJ/available damages. Maybe that’s just my practice area, though.

My one piece of advice would be to never hire someone who mediates as an arbitrator. The combo folks I’ve worked with are way too wishy washy in arbitration—too used to the mindset of pushing parties to agree. I also think people are naturally suited to one or the other. I think I’d be a great arbitrator, but I know I would be a god awful mediator.

I meant litigation experience. Sorry.

Dallas has a market slot for a good half-day family mediator. But you really gotta be good to get it done in that amount of time.

Family mediation is rough.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Yuns posted:

Hello I am big law partner.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

gvibes posted:

Hello I am big law partner.
Hello fellow big law partner. Don't you love worrying about financial metrics and things like realization.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Yuns posted:

I was senior enough inhouse that there was no room to move up unless I was going to get the GC or number 2 DGC seat at one of the largest financial services companies in the world. Rather than wait a decade to find out I decided to go back to private practice. Everyone told me I was crazy to do it. Verdict is still out on that. Back when I was in house I actually posted twice in this thread (in 2011 and 2012) trying to hire people to work for me in house. I got no resumes.

We chatted on IRC back then. I was at a firm. Now I'm inhouse at a health system. I can't see myself going back to private practice, but who knows what the future holds.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HiddenReplaced posted:

We chatted on IRC back then. I was at a firm. Now I'm inhouse at a health system. I can't see myself going back to private practice, but who knows what the future holds.
Congrats on the inhouse gig. I always saw myself as a GC but took a chance on the jump back to private practice to move my career along.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Yuns posted:

I'm still in biglaw, senior associate, still gunning.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Ani posted:

I'm still in biglaw, senior associate, still gunning.
I sincerely hope you make it. The only thing tougher in big law than being a senior associate is being a new partner.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Yuns posted:

Congrats on the inhouse gig. I always saw myself as a GC but took a chance on the jump back to private practice to move my career along.

Yeah, I'm gunning for GC. My GC has indicated he intends to make me GC of one of our major subs within the next couple years, which would put me on a good path. Hopefully that pans out. If not, we'll see!

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Yuns posted:

Congratulations. Still remember the time we spoke when I was looking for advice - thanks!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’ve got another job interview today for another sub 45k state job. I haven’t heard back from any private employers. loving :lol: at the legal job market.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

CaptainScraps posted:

I meant litigation experience. Sorry.

Dallas has a market slot for a good half-day family mediator. But you really gotta be good to get it done in that amount of time.

Family mediation is rough.

That’s what a mom of one of our classmates from high school used to do. Dark irony but she had the last name of Cox with an even more unfortunate first name and got killed in a freak wood accident.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Blarzgh I'm going to ask to hire you for my next ED mediation. We are lacking someone in your county where the mediator doesn't also serve as defense counsel and a special commissioner (that father son team).

The only guy we have is in Plano, which is fine but let me see what you got.

Actually, if you're willing to travel I can do the big counties too, at least for small cases.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

blarzgh posted:

I've never gotten a single call about mediating a case; there are a couple retired judges in town who have the market cornered, and a couple of attorneys who're known for mediating certain types of cases. I've got as much of a foot in the door as a young, inexperienced mediator could have, but it would take a gargantuan effort and probably a couple of timely deaths for me to break into our market as a mediator.

My career plan explicitly calls for a few expected and unexpected deaths and retirements in the jobs I want.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pook Good Mook posted:

My career plan explicitly calls for a few expected and unexpected deaths and retirements in the jobs I want.

how lucky for you that a fellow poster has been contemplating a career change lately...

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Blarzgh I'm going to ask to hire you for my next ED mediation. We are lacking someone in your county where the mediator doesn't also serve as defense counsel and a special commissioner (that father son team).

The only guy we have is in Plano, which is fine but let me see what you got.

Actually, if you're willing to travel I can do the big counties too, at least for small cases.

But I do landowner claims. And represent cities. Torn between two worlds!

If you OC is fine with a mediator who's not board-certified in real estate, because they're half the price of someone who is, then sign me up.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My biggest concern with a mediator is 1) lunch and 2) no opening session.

Both have been lacking with my regulars.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Yuns posted:

I sincerely hope you make it. The only thing tougher in big law than being a senior associate is being a new partner.
Thanks. And yeah, it's pretty rough now and I am very aware that the first few years of being a partner are even rougher.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Blarzgh I'm going to ask to hire you for my next ED mediation.

Weird pickup line even for this thread.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

My biggest concern with a mediator is 1) lunch and 2) no opening session.

Both have been lacking with my regulars.

A good lunch is the key to successful mediation, I always say.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I’m a biglaw junior associate in a smaller practice group and honestly it’s not too bad but every time I hear from a junior in one of the firm’s main practice groups the work/life sounds like complete insanity. I almost feel guilty getting paid as much as them. Almost.

To any law student considering biglaw and lurking in this thread: don’t be proud. Go work in something other than M&A. Your sleep schedule will thank you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Do you wanna be rich or happy?

People only leave my government job because doing the same case over and over again gets dull. There are 40 attorneys with the same-ish job as me. 24 are lifers (or at least until legal retirement at about 55). 6 are too new to be lifers. And 10 will probably bounce or be gently persuaded to transfer.

One guy has been here since the mid 70s.