Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Eber and Dmitri are fine, but outside of the usual big things that every tech youtuber reviews, their niche tends to be mouse/keyboard/headphone reviews, which I really don't care about, unless I'm actively looking for a new one of those.

Also, cases, but Fractal Design 4 lyfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Measly Twerp posted:

Yeah, they kind suck as people, complaining about SJWs

Sounds like I need to pay more attention to them. I've seen them resurface in my recommendations after all this sense mi stuff.

GN has a dry, to the point style that's just refreshing and not a waste of my time.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I like HC for their camera work and high production value, but they seem like they're at the bottom of the vloggers when it comes to technical knowledge (with LTT in the middle and GN at the top). Kinda if MKBHD did computer reviews instead of focusing on gadgets/devices.

They're like GameTrailers for videogame reviews, I don't really listen too much to what's said, just let the video do the talking.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Linus did this video where he used a 10 foot?! PCIe extension cable to hook up a video card and it worked. COOL! I would have never guessed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I watch LTT to see high quality, informative content like [checks notes]

installing windows to a slow storage device to find out that it makes windows slow

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redeyes posted:

Linus did this video where he used a 10 foot?! PCIe extension cable to hook up a video card and it worked. COOL! I would have never guessed.

He did a video sending HDMI through water as a conductor (via some sort of compression device)

Some interesting things happen over at Linus drilling tips

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

Sounds like I need to pay more attention to them. I've seen them resurface in my recommendations after all this sense mi stuff.

Sure, if arguing against fictitious people complaining about "assuming my gender" in order to feel secure in ones bigotry is your thing. They at least know what the gently caress they're talking about tech wise, and are willing to talk about their mistakes.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Eber and Dmitri are fine, but outside of the usual big things that every tech youtuber reviews, their niche tends to be mouse/keyboard/headphone reviews, which I really don't care about, unless I'm actively looking for a new one of those.

They're really bad at that though. Actually, I used to really like them because they are great at shooting video, but drat, any time they talk about audio it ends up being a massive disappointment.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'd been hoping to find another channel that was closer to GN than LTT. Thanks for pointing it out.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

repiv posted:

I watch LTT to see high quality, informative content like [checks notes]

installing windows to a slow storage device to find out that it makes windows slow

I still don't understand why people respond this way to Linus. Where did you people get the idea that any of these LOL WACKY COMPUTER IDEA videos were suggesting anyone actually do it?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Deuce posted:

I still don't understand why people respond this way to Linus. Where did you people get the idea that any of these LOL WACKY COMPUTER IDEA videos were suggesting anyone actually do it?

Because we're in the SERIOUS hardware / software crap sub-forum and there is no place for sense of humours here. Everything has to be hard silicon performance numbers and overclocking is mandatory otherwise you're a FAS baby.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Deuce posted:

yeah that video is actually very interesting in exactly how it makes windows slow

the system had enough ram to nearly hold all of DOOM at once so even though it takes 4 seconds to load a control panel window the game itself runs almost normally

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Wirth1000 posted:

Because we're in the SERIOUS hardware / software crap sub-forum and there is no place for sense of humours here. Everything has to be hard silicon performance numbers and overclocking is mandatory otherwise you're a FAS baby.

A while back I remember a goon linking one of the videos ranting about how they shouldn't give terrible advice to people, and the video literally starts off with "the proper way to do this is *describes professional backup server* but this is Linus Tech Tips so we're going to do THIS instead."

And somehow people don't get it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Linus seems curious how the worst solutions will actually end up working. Which I find commendable.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Linus seems curious how the worst solutions will actually end up working. Which I find commendable.

Learning how to deal with the issues that arise from implementing "the worst design ever" is like two thirds of IT.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The last third is google, desperately, in the hopes that someone else has already done the legwork and documented it in detail, only to find a post from 2006 that details your exact problem right down to reproducability, and then has "edit: nm i fixed it" appended to the bottom, with no further posts from that account thereafter.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 14, 2018

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The last third is google, desperately, in the hopes that someone else has already done the legwork and documented it in detail, only to find a post from 2006 that details your exact problem right down to reproducability, and then has "edit: nm i fixed it" appended to the bottom, with no further posts from that account thereafter.

Triggering my PTSD and I’m not even in IT.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

i'll pm u the fix

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Or, alternatively, "I found the answer here - it worked perfectly: dead link that goes to a site that no longer exists"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ahahaha oh god no nooo my PTSD is triggering....

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

3peat
May 6, 2010

Measly Twerp posted:

Their news segments are tainted by them being unfunny lolbertarian dude bros.

yes that bullshit made me unsubscribe and block their channel

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

3peat posted:

yes that bullshit made me unsubscribe and block their channel

Wait, how do you block a YouTube channel? Tell me more.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Looks like the HP Envy x360 series are all Ryzen mobile with the R5 2500 and R7 2700

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/hp-envy-2018-hands-on

:toot:

Fingers crossed we'll see some HiDPI displays with Ryzen mobile.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
AMD put out a cringey video promoting Epyc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq7yyVX5C_I

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Chris Hook's proud legacy lives on.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 14, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wanted to post something regarding that, but then I remember who makes purchase decisions.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mister Facetious posted:

There's a plugin, for chrome at least, it's called Video Blocker.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

I meant when you get a video recommended or w/e you click on the 3 vertical dots > not interested > tell us why > not interested in this channel, this way you never see videos from that channel recommended/suggested and so on anymore

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

3peat posted:

I meant when you get a video recommended or w/e you click on the 3 vertical dots > not interested > tell us why > not interested in this channel, this way you never see videos from that channel recommended/suggested and so on anymore

That doesn't work, at least for me, I've done that and I just still see the same recommendations, it's really annoying.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

3peat posted:

This is provided you accept cookies in the first place

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That doesn't work, at least for me, I've done that and I just still see the same recommendations, it's really annoying.

Once THE ALGORITHM has determined that you will like a video/channel there isn't a drat thing you can do to get it to gently caress off.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

3peat posted:

Yeah, I already do that, but I want to manually blacklist channels too.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Xae posted:

Once THE ALGORITHM has determined that you will like a video/channel there isn't a drat thing you can do to get it to gently caress off.

THE ALGORITHM thinks I'd be super into alt-right/MRA/gamergate dudes talking into a webcam in front of their anime figurine collection for an hour, presumably because I watch a lot of nerd poo poo. I always do the "not interested in this channel" thing but it never stops.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Theris posted:

THE ALGORITHM thinks I'd be super into alt-right/MRA/gamergate dudes talking into a webcam in front of their anime figurine collection for an hour, presumably because I watch a lot of nerd poo poo. I always do the "not interested in this channel" thing but it never stops.

If you've watched poo poo even ironically or whatever, delete it from your watch history. This seems to help for me when I start getting bad suggestions because I went on a dumb binge.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
After almost two decades of solid Intel loyalty, I've just jumped ship and built my first AMD system.

Ryzen 2700X, Asus Prime X370 Pro, 16GB of G.Skill DDR4 3200, a 500GB Samsung 960EVO nVME SSD, and a GTX1060 6GB.

Given I use it for video editing, and it replaced an i7 3770, I do not for one second regret my decision. This thing is blindingly quick with multi threaded workloads and was very reasonably priced.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

metaxus posted:

After almost two decades of solid Intel loyalty, I've just jumped ship and built my first AMD system.

Ryzen 2700X, Asus Prime X370 Pro, 16GB of G.Skill DDR4 3200, a 500GB Samsung 960EVO nVME SSD, and a GTX1060 6GB.

Given I use it for video editing, and it replaced an i7 3770, I do not for one second regret my decision. This thing is blindingly quick with multi threaded workloads and was very reasonably priced.

Same here, welcome aboard. :)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUyF--fJaaM

What's interesting is how often the Ryzen meets or beats the i5-8400 once overclocked. The Zen Uarch seems fully capable of beating Intel, it's just limited by the IF speed. I really hope Zen2 has an async clock for it, it'd probably be a huge performance plus system price gain.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Nice, now all we need is a nice (or any) x470 mATX mainboard. I mean first generation Ryzen had an excuse, but not anymore.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Nice, now all we need is a nice (or any) x470 mATX mainboard. I mean first generation Ryzen had an excuse, but not anymore.

but-but-but why would anybody buy X470 without the extra slots that nobody is going to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Beeeeeeeeeeeecause m.2 is a thing and widespread?