Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nintendo security engineers are actually superintelligent beings from the future that are just underestimating our timeline.

miyamoto at an investors meeting: “presenting the Switch, the worlds most secure console!!”

Security engineer leans over to the person next to them: “you guys haven’t invented paper clips yet, right?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nintendo security engineers are actually superintelligent beings from the future that are just underestimating our timeline.

miyamoto at an investors meeting: “presenting the Switch, the worlds most secure console!!”

Security engineer leans over to the person next to them: “you guys haven’t invented paper clips yet, right?”

That wasn't the real problem since you always need to add in a way to access the boot loader usb recovery mode for debug purposes when customer hardware comes in and you don't want to disassemble it right off the bat. The problem is that there was a glitch in Nvidias usb stack for the Tegra X1 that meant you could get full and complete control of the system from that menu. Normally you'd need a signed switch is image to do anything there but Nvidia hosed up.

Edit: corrected the fact it wasn't the boot loader but a usb recovery mode

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 14, 2018

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Infinitum posted:

What's this? :nyoron:

Very WIP mk8d save editor: https://gbatemp.net/threads/mario-kart-8-deluxe-save-editor.503543/

3ds and switch save backup/restore Homebrew: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-checkpoint-a-fast-and-simple-save-manager-for-3ds-and-switch.503899/

Checkpoint needs the Homebrew launcher and works on 5.02.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 14, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

Has there been a hack free Pokémon experience ever? Seems like something that’s doomed to repeat until the heat death of the universe.

I mean there's generally checks for legality on the Pokemon Bank, I'd be stunned if those same checks don't apply to doing anything at all online too. But someone grabbing their team from https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ and creating it instantly in game with the highest legally obtainable IVs that would normally take months of work and hundreds of thousands of eggs? Yeah, that'll always be a thing.

e: Given that Sun/Moon both has "the hidden per-pokemon stat values that were super obfuscated in previous gens" as an easily-looked-up visual, and an NPC that you can hand an item to max out those stat values for you, it wouldn't surprise me if they continue moving down the overall path of making it significantly shorter and less time consuming to go from "have an idea for a team" to "having the team be viable for competition" anyways.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 14, 2018

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Has there been a hack free Pokémon experience ever? Seems like something that’s doomed to repeat until the heat death of the universe.

I kinda thought this was :thejoke: since the competitive Pokemon scene was described to me as a bunch of people who don't actually play through the games and just cheat optimal teams in. You're expected to cheat, pulling in obscure inherited stuff from earlier games that winds up being overpowered by iterating through the series, but also expected to keep up appearances by hiding the fact that you cheat.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Has Nintendo done console bans or account bans with modded consoles in the past?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Has Nintendo done console bans or account bans with modded consoles in the past?

They have with 3DS.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Does any place sell those 3D print modules yet

Ebay for like $3-4. Search for RCM jig.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

They have with 3DS.

I knew they did banning for the 3DS, but I was wondering if it was specifically just console bans or if they did a full account ban too

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

God I really want Gamecube/Wii emulation working on this thing.

Would love to be able to play poo poo like Wii Sports with joycons as the wiimotes

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I knew they did banning for the 3DS, but I was wondering if it was specifically just console bans or if they did a full account ban too

Pretty sure it was just console. You can system transfer to another 3DS and your account and your eShop purchases should be untouched.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Mailer posted:

I kinda thought this was :thejoke: since the competitive Pokemon scene was described to me as a bunch of people who don't actually play through the games and just cheat optimal teams in. You're expected to cheat, pulling in obscure inherited stuff from earlier games that winds up being overpowered by iterating through the series, but also expected to keep up appearances by hiding the fact that you cheat.

This is 100% accurate. It seemed like Gamefreak were trying to take steps to alleviate this, but it doesn't work when players themselves are able to create far more rigorous legitimacy checkers than the developers can. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pretty sure it was just console. You can system transfer to another 3DS and your account and your eShop purchases should be untouched.

It's not even that. They ban your friend code seed. It's a file sitting in the ctr nand that you can easily replace. There's usually a seed posted publicly that you can use until that one gets banned.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cojawfee posted:

It's not even that. They ban your friend code seed. It's a file sitting in the ctr nand that you can easily replace. There's usually a seed posted publicly that you can use until that one gets banned.

That sounds hilariously ineffective.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Interesting, might be worth modding my switch in that case.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wanted to say the originals but then remembered nobody being able to battle remotely fairly because we'd all catch Pokemon over level 100 off the coast of Cinnabar Island and since that was based on the player's name we all had wildly different available options.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

That sounds hilariously ineffective.

I think you have to make a new friend code which loses your friends or whatever.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Dos posted:

I wanted to say the originals but then remembered nobody being able to battle remotely fairly because we'd all catch Pokemon over level 100 off the coast of Cinnabar Island and since that was based on the player's name we all had wildly different available options.

Like you didn't just dupe rare candies+vitamins anyways

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So reading the last couple of pages, I just want to get this right. With a Wii U and a spare pro controller, I can hack it to play GameCube games, and then download games like rouge squadron, tony hawk pro skater 3, the bond game that was on GameCube, that sort of thing? And they play well?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

LionArcher posted:

So reading the last couple of pages, I just want to get this right. With a Wii U and a spare pro controller, I can hack it to play GameCube games, and then download games like rouge squadron, tony hawk pro skater 3, the bond game that was on GameCube, that sort of thing? And they play well?

Correct.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LionArcher posted:

Yes. They literally play the same as on a GC. Natively. There’s no emulation.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay, next question. I do this all on a separate hardrive right? And if I have a Mac, I can still get nintendont working?

and in theory, are these games... that hard to find. Not asking where to find them mind you.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LionArcher posted:

Okay, next question. I do this all on a separate hardrive right? And if I have a Mac, I can still get nintendont working?

and in theory, are these games... that hard to find. Not asking where to find them mind you.

Yes or sd card. An actual drive is recommended though.

They are not hard to find.

EDIT: Forgot to answer your Mac question. I did it three years ago and kinda forget but I believe I did do it on Mac since all you need to do is arrange files properly on a properly formatted drive.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 15, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

LionArcher posted:

You need an SD card and a flash drive or hard drive, i have a flash drive sticking out of my Wii U with everything on it. Not sure about macs.

And no, games are not hard to find.

Efb

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

You need an SD card and a flash drive or hard drive, i have a flash drive sticking out of my Wii U with everything on it. Not sure about macs.

And no, games are not hard to find.

Efb

Thanks thread. I’ll do some digging but this just blew my mind. I have a switch and if they ever came to the EShop I’d rebuy everything again... until then though, this is a great solution.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It really does rule. You can even do stuff like force games to go widescreen (not a good idea for some games) and even have the ability to play Triforce arcade games through it.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

disregard

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 18, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

It really does rule. You can even do stuff like force games to go widescreen (not a good idea for some games) and even have the ability to play Triforce arcade games through it.

Metroid Prime in widescreen is :perfect:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

You don't have PMs, so send me an email at jimbo504@gmail.com, I may be able to help you in a way...

Will do, Thanks!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Can someone link a good tutorial for GC games on Wii U because I could never get it to work

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

African AIDS cum posted:

Can someone link a good tutorial for GC games on Wii U because I could never get it to work

Download loader.dol and rename it boot.dol
Also download meta.xml and icon.png
Create SD/apps/Nintendont/ and put those three files in there
ISOs go in SD/games

Install the forwarder for the Wii U homescreen guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQHxQcfb4Y
(you'll need wup installer to do that)

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 15, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

havenwaters posted:

This also exists but the person that created it isn't developing the software anymore and if you were on the latest version you get this message and can't use the program.

edit: If you had installed an older version and had not updated yet, it still works fine

I found a workaround for this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUPiracy/comments/8hioog/rcemupiracy_has_a_workaround_for_wii_u_usb_helper/

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is USB Helper like unfinished or is there some good tech reason the guy tried to sunset it entirely? or was he concerned about liability or something

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes or sd card. An actual drive is recommended though.

They are not hard to find.

Is there a reason a separate harddrive is recommended? I have a 128gb SD card I was hoping to use to homebrew my Wii U as well as run games off of, but I've seen a couple posts saying the hard drive would be needed; does running games off of the SD Card not work?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PageMaster posted:

Is there a reason a separate harddrive is recommended? I have a 128gb SD card I was hoping to use to homebrew my Wii U as well as run games off of, but I've seen a couple posts saying the hard drive would be needed; does running games off of the SD Card not work?

They work with some programs. The problem with using SDs for things like that is that it can kill the SD card faster with the constant reading and writing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
SD cards are designed to store files, not to be constantly read and written to like a hard drive. They aren't as robust as SSDs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm still confused as to why all the guides say to use a different hdd for wiiu and wii/gc games but I'm too scared to try not to

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It could be because WiiU uses a special file system, and you just put the Gamecube games onto a FAT formatted drive.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm still confused as to why all the guides say to use a different hdd for wiiu and wii/gc games but I'm too scared to try not to

Because the wii u hard-drive is formatted by the system into a special file system and there are no tools to turn it into a multi-partition drive/make it so you can use it for both Wii U and Wii/GC stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
look up the build of mocha that lets you use the same hdd