Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

PMush Perfect posted:

"Roll disguise."
Several exploding 6s later...
"Your baffling make-up causes a stack overflow in the surveillance software and shorts out the entire system."

This has caused the awakening of a new artificial intelligence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Siegkrow posted:

This has caused the awakening of a new artificial intelligence!

Hey there!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Trust the Computer! The Computer is your friend.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Friendship is treason. Report to your local Termination Booth

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Am I a Sixth World resident playing a Paranoia simsense game? Or a resident of Alpha Complex in some kind of Shadowrun VR? Perhaps I am a butterfly dreaming I am a man, dreaming I am a chromed-out troll, dreaming I am a commie mutant traitor...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fighting Trousers posted:

Trust the Computer! The Computer is your friend.
Wrong reference. Good reference, but the wrong one.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Yeah, everyone knows he would be a runner.

Every team needs a good face man.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’d like to see someone test those facial recognition algorithm spoofing patterns against an iPhone X.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

IMJack posted:

Am I a Sixth World resident playing a Paranoia simsense game? Or a resident of Alpha Complex in some kind of Shadowrun VR? Perhaps I am a butterfly dreaming I am a man, dreaming I am a chromed-out troll, dreaming I am a commie mutant traitor...

Ok there, Doreen.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

It's not cyberpunk unless you're live hacking every camera in a 500m radius as you walk down the block :colbert:

I thought what I'd do is pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

PMush Perfect posted:

"Roll disguise."
Several exploding 6s later...
"Your baffling make-up causes a stack overflow in the surveillance software and shorts out the entire system."

This comes to mind.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought what I'd do is pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes.

That's a level above. You have to hack the cameras AND peoples' brains.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I just watched a straight-to-netflix movie about this. It wasn't very good, but it was about how everyone has cybereyes and everything is recorded and saved and easily accessible. One person was a hacker and deleted all records of her of everyone she walked past. It was a very cool concept, just in the hands of a mediocre story writer.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lechtansi posted:

I just watched a straight-to-netflix movie about this. It wasn't very good, but it was about how everyone has cybereyes and everything is recorded and saved and easily accessible. One person was a hacker and deleted all records of her of everyone she walked past. It was a very cool concept, just in the hands of a mediocre story writer.

You want to watch something good with that, you watch Ghost in the Shell. The first season of Standalone Complex is (when it's not doing standalone episodes) about a hacker who's so good, nobody's seen his face. People were referencing it already, but in case you didn't catch it, now you know.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, while we're in a cyberpunk thread and recommending Ghost in the Shell, the movie from '95 is excellent too. GITS: Arise isn't bad, nor are the other movies, but the first movie and Stand Alone Complex are most excellent.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chiasaur11 posted:

You want to watch something good with that, you watch Ghost in the Shell. The first season of Standalone Complex is (when it's not doing standalone episodes) about a hacker who's so good, nobody's seen his face. People were referencing it already, but in case you didn't catch it, now you know.

Though the Standalone episodes also ruled.

GitS's first season is amazing.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

aniviron posted:

I mean, while we're in a cyberpunk thread and recommending Ghost in the Shell, the movie from '95 is excellent too. GITS: Arise isn't bad, nor are the other movies, but the first movie and Stand Alone Complex are most excellent.

2nd Gig is worth watching as well, but yeah, SAC is a very good anime to watch.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Touching back on the banality of our current hellscape, I feel that one part of society where Shadowrun & current day match up is just how little the average resident knows or cares about the amazing tech or magic going on. Consider how cool the first iPhone was vs today when everyone has a little brick of plastic with a touch interface in their pocket, and sometimes 2 or 3 similar devices.

Are there any splats that talk about what the average person is like, and how they interact? Much like in our mission, I figure most of them don't like their job, eat so-so food, drink whatever replaced coke/pepsi in the franchise wars, and fake go-to church on Sunday before watching whatever the NFL turned into. I really enjoy that kind of world decorating, because it allows you to really show how your characters are outside of the norm, and why retiring is often either a bullet in the brain, or a crazy score that will lead them needing "just one last fix" down the line.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RedMagus posted:

Are there any splats that talk about what the average person is like, and how they interact? Much like in our mission, I figure most of them don't like their job, eat so-so food, drink whatever replaced coke/pepsi in the franchise wars, and fake go-to church on Sunday before watching whatever the NFL turned into. I really enjoy that kind of world decorating, because it allows you to really show how your characters are outside of the norm, and why retiring is often either a bullet in the brain, or a crazy score that will lead them needing "just one last fix" down the line.

Shadowbeat goes into UCAS pop culture and stardom in 2052, whereas Sprawl Survival Guide touches on everyday life in 2063. They're both pretty old as far as systems go (1st edition and 3rd, respectively) but for the most part they stand up.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

KataraniSword posted:

Shadowbeat goes into UCAS pop culture and stardom in 2052, whereas Sprawl Survival Guide touches on everyday life in 2063. They're both pretty old as far as systems go (1st edition and 3rd, respectively) but for the most part they stand up.

Vice from 4th Ed also has a pretty big section on modern pop culture and stuff, but my eyes just glazed over trying to read it because it was a lot of /dev/grll just doing her commentary and a lot of band and song and movie and trideo show names I couldn't connect with anything.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The corporate update guide and I think run faster both have sections on daily life for different groups in 5e

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

RedMagus posted:

Touching back on the banality of our current hellscape, I feel that one part of society where Shadowrun & current day match up is just how little the average resident knows or cares about the amazing tech or magic going on. Consider how cool the first iPhone was vs today when everyone has a little brick of plastic with a touch interface in their pocket, and sometimes 2 or 3 similar devices.

Let's posit an average lower-middle class Joe Citizen. He is a 'SINner' - that is, possessing of a legitimate System Identification Number, sort of an all-in-one proof of citizenship, ID card, and biometric information. This is issued by a government or a corporation, because due to a long string of events the largest of corporations have Extraterritoriality, the right to enforce law upon their land equal to that of a nation-state. So Joe Citizen may not even be a citizen of a country; their ID might slate them as being a citizen of, say, Ares Macrotechnology.

Their working hours wouldn't be that different to that of a worker today. Maybe they work in a factory, supervising automated machines; maybe they work in a warehouse, ordering pallet-lifting drones to and fro; most likely they work in an office, doing the vaguely pointless officework that seems to keep the world turning. They got the job out of high school, and it was an Ares high school, one they were enrolled in because their parents worked for (and still work for) Ares; they've lived their entire life under the umbrella of the corporation, and know nothing of life outside it except what corporate propaganda tells them. If they quit their job or were fired, they'd still 'belong' to Ares and have to seek a new job within it; the only way for them to leave it would be to abandon their identity completely or have a useful enough skillset that another corporation would offer them an identity under their umbrella, instead. If they were really useful, said offer might come at the hands of a team of Shadowrunners presenting the offer at gunpoint and extracting them (and, optionally, their loved ones) to begin their new lives at the new corporation. But chances are Joe Citizen will never reach the heights where they'd appear on a Shadowrunner's radar as anything but, perhaps, collateral damage.

After work, Joe Citizen goes home, which is almost certainly an apartment building because the middle class have long since been priced out of suburbia. In an Ares town, like Detroit, they might live in an Ares residential block; some corporations have entire Arcologies so that their citizens literally never leave corporate territory. But usually, they'd live in neutral territory. A questionable but not quite bad neighbourhood where one can walk the streets during the day but feel uncomfortable doing so at night. There's a biometric lock on the door, and the building collectively would hold a contract with either a law enforcement provider or a local gang, with the cost build into the rent; there might be a security drone on the front door, or security cameras with facial recognition and pop-out turrets shooting rubber bullets or stick-n-shock rounds at anyone not recognized.

Inside the apartment, there'll be one or possibly more housework drones that will often interrupt their duties to trundle up to Joe Citizen to play an advertisement. All the walls are painted with AR paint, upon which various screens can be projected. A subscription service allows for virtual windows, virtual weather, virtual decorations; another allows for on-demand streaming, laden with advertisements. Maybe the advertisements are from the original provider, maybe they're the result of viruses that have snuck into the home network to serve up You May Be A Winner dross. It may be impossible to tell. The centrepiece of the kitchen is an SPU: a Soy Processing Unit. Despite it's name, it can also process krill, algae, or mycoprotein, 3D-printing the various varieties of nutritious but bland paste into something resembling actual food. Actually eating actual food might be a once-a-week splurge. Clean water is scarcer than Wifi in the sixth world, and Joe Citizen either trusts in the building filtration or budgets for buying bottled.

He has a commlink, which acts as a cross between a phone, a wallet and a laptop computer, and would sync with both his home and workplace. For entertainment, he's got the AR screens on the wall for television and video games if he likes it old-school. If he prefers trideo, he might have VR goggles to watch things in full 3D. If he prefers even more immersion, he might have simsense trodes, a sort of netting to wear around his head to allow full five-senses immersion in a recording. The truly dedicated bypass the need for trodes by getting a datajack and simsense hardware physically installed in their body so they can just plug in. Apart from that, he might have a local bar or club to drink synthahol at, or might be a fan of a corporate-sponsored local sports team. He might have a pet; if so, it's almost certainly a drone or virtual pet, rather than a flesh-and-blood animal. He might have a family; if so, they'd almost certainly be Ares SINners too; his wife would work at Ares, his children would go to an Ares school and would get Ares jobs when they grow up. Maybe he'd go on a holiday. Maybe that holiday would be an 'unpaid mandatory chaperoned networking and training' holiday.

Apart from the aforementioned datajack, he may have some other sort of surgical addition; cybereyes and cyberears are often subsidised by employers to add an extra layer of security against corporate espionage, since it would mean they could literally see through his eyes and hear through his ears, and mean that Joe Citizen doesn't have to bother with things like VR goggles or headphones ever again, and maybe he could always have his virtual pet with him. He might have a biomonitor if he's concerned about his health, and it would constantly feed data to his doctor, his insurance company, and his employer; if he needs medication, he might have an autoinjector to automatically administer it and send him messages when top-ups are needed. He could have had cosmetic surgery, either of a traditional sort to look better or to the more radical if he wishes to make a statement: fiberoptic hair, AR tattoos, implants to look either more or less like an orc or an elf, breast or penile implants that may be functional as well as aesthetic. If he's worried about his weight, he might have a 'slimworm' inside him: an artificial creature called an 'endosymbiont' that acts like a tapeworm without the nastier side-effects. Usually.

The only life he knows is a corporate one; as far as he knows, the world outside is an endless tide of criminal Shadowrunners just itching to murder a law-abiding SINner like himself and sell his corpse to ghouls.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Tehan posted:

The only life he knows is a corporate one; as far as he knows, the world outside is an endless tide of criminal Shadowrunners just itching to murder a law-abiding SINner like himself and sell his corpse to ghouls.

Well, he's not wrong...

Pro effortpost, by the way.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So basically Joe Citizen would probably be posting on the matrix about how he lives in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Joe, btw, is one of the lucky ones.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Joe, btw, is one of the lucky ones.
Among other things, Joe has an apartment, a job (desk job sounds like) and enough disposable income for things like "hobbies" and "days off". That poor oily kid behind the counter at the Stuffer Shack who thwaps the made-by-the-lowest-bidder machines when they start acting up and unclogs the toilets probably hasn't seen the sun except through store windows in months. He's got this weird rash on his leg that his corp-mandated biometric says isn't enough of an issue to pay for medical attention, his it's-complicated boyfriend is a regular customer who thinks he's kind of cute, and what little disposable income he has mostly goes towards trideo games that let him forget about the mindless drudgery his life has become.

So, you know, not that different from modern life, either.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

That seems generically cyberpunk enough. Thing is - in most cyberpunk settings, anything outside the big cities is irradiated / polluted / filled with enough monsters to make the exclusion zone look like a roadside picnic.

What's Shadowruns excuse for "whoops, just ignore all the countryside"?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xander77 posted:

It's either corp farms, deadly wilderness full of Awakened animals/plants/rocks, or NAN/Tir territory.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Xander77 posted:

That seems generically cyberpunk enough. Thing is - in most cyberpunk settings, anything outside the big cities is irradiated / polluted / filled with enough monsters to make the exclusion zone look like a roadside picnic.

Combination of nuclear irradiated/toxic polluted zones and Awakened wildlife not wanting you to be there.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

RedMagus posted:

Boy do I have the CYOA for you!

Really though, everyone should read that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GhostStalker posted:

Combination of nuclear irradiated/toxic polluted zones and Awakened wildlife not wanting you to be there.

Don't forget ash blasted wastelands caused by major eruptions from volcanoes becoming a lot more active.

Also sometimes that wildlife is Toxic with a capital T!

For your consideration: The Iridescent Owl, a variation on the Greater Horned Owl local to the wilderness around Seattle. They get the name from their feathers having become suffused with heavy metals and petrochemicals that have concentrated in the food chain due to run off from the mines in the area. These metals concentrate in the wingtips, essentially turning them into metal. The owls have figured out how to essentially "throw" said feathers at prey and people they don't like*. If the high speed throwing knife doesn't kill you, the incredibly potent cocktail of poisonous metals will! The feathers fetch a good price and some corps have been trying to train them to hunt in specific areas so they can easily collect them. You can get a good price for the birds as well** because they're big and shiny and that means some folks assume they're magical.

*THAT MEANS YOU!

**And good luck with that. Actually now that I think about it, a bunch of missions centered around collecting dangerous wild animals for a zoo or something could be pretty rad. :thunk:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
And then, of course, there are the hellcows.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

paragon1 posted:

Led by Moocifer?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Xander77 posted:

Well, that depends on the area. The Great Ghost Dance left huge chunks of North America completely uninhabitable, just as an example. But in most places there's two major reasons: Firstly, awakened animals are loving dangerous. Living out in the woods away from civilization is bad enough without having to worry about nine hundred pound carnivorous tusked bears.

Secondly, and far more boringly, there's no one living out beyond the cities because there's no one living out between the cities. VITAS killed off thirty percent of the entire global population in two outbreaks. Plus, the majority of the dead were the people out away from the cities, simply because they had less access to healthcare. And while that was by far the worst single disaster to hit the sixth world, it was hardly the only mass die off. Most of the small towns that run along all of the major travel routes are nothing but graveyards these days. And with all of them gone there's no infrastructure to support living out there. Unless you're rich enough to have everything, including food and water, shipped out to you then you're going to have to grow or make or build what you need to survive. Plenty of rich corporate managers retire to countryside estates, complete with heavily armed guards to take care of reason # 1, but they're really the only ones with that option.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

paragon1 posted:

For your consideration: The Iridescent Owl
That's a loving Pokemon. If it isn't one yet, it should be.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

paragon1 posted:

Don't just drop this without explaining please. These sound rad.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hellcows:
Cow gets prion, prion infects cow's young in the womb. Newborn cows eat absolutely everything nearby. Tools, their mother, old tires, hapless veterinary assistants, etc. They can do this because of the extremely corrosive acid spit they produce, and will continue to do so until full. Then they act like a normal cow until they're hungry again. They will be hungry again very soon, because, of course, they have abnormally fast metabolisms. Some ranchers will isolate them to the edge of their property and keep them mostly sated on garbage as a cheap security measure.

It's useful for when, as a totally random example, some Shadowrunners try to get cute and make it rich by stealing the luxury commodity for resale while it's still on the hoof.

If none of this convinces you that the wilderness in Shadowrun is an inhospitable place, consider the Juggernaut, an animal that exists totally naturally in the wild. It's what happens when Awakening happens to the common texas armadillo. That is to say, they become fifty feet tall, longer than a greyhound bus, and weighs eight and a half tons. They also become constantly attracted to food and lose all fear of anything human short of a very good main battle tank.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 16, 2018

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Xander77 posted:

Nice.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
In the 6th world UK a lot of land has been deliberately re-wilded by the New Druidic Movement (think freemasons rather than actual druids, with a dash of human supremacy thrown in) as country getaways for the wealthy and the nobility.
All the preexisting residents got deported to the cities, and about 1/10 of the mainland is now covered in huge national parks where poshos have their fortified country estates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

paragon1 posted:

If none of this convinces you that the wilderness in Shadowrun is an inhospitable place, consider the Juggernaut, an animal that exists totally naturally in the wild. It's what happens when Awakening happens to the common texas armadillo. That is to say, they become fifty feet tall, longer than a greyhound bus, and weighs eight and a half tons. They also become constantly attracted to food and lose all fear of anything human short of a very good main battle tank.

They're also possessed of a temper and general hostile attitude to anything that moves and isn't another Juggernaut of the opposite gender during mating season that would make the crankiest HIppopotamus gasp and go "... Well, that's just rude."

Oh, and while they're not terribly bright and generally subscribe to "out of sight, out of mind" when it comes to things smaller than them, they can also outrun aforesaid main battle tank, so the trick there is in getting out of sight. Their preferred habitat tends not to have many things obstructing view.