Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

are andorians the ones who have four sexes

Yeah though I don't think it's ever mentioned in any of the series or movies, the closest thing was something about them having fourways or being poly or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's all based on a throwaway line (from Data, I think) about how Andorians have four genders. Or an Andorian marriage is between four people. Something like that.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
either way, andorians are scum!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Shran was pretty cool though.

naem
May 29, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yet no one even mentions the possibility of beaming out a version of Tasha from 10 minutes before she got eaten by an oil slick. Then everybody pretends to be sad at her funeral.

There is a black market in "Tashas" that get beamed directly to you quarters (in return for your holodeck hours)

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

naem posted:

There is a black market in "Tashas" that get beamed directly to you quarters (in return for your holodeck hours)

is there a version for her sister?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I maintain that the transporters don't kill you by design, they move you through ~~~SUBSPACE~~~, and you only get weird stuff like Thomas Riker when strange planets bounce your signal and create a clone of your pattern, or whatever. The rare edge cases where the transporter is used to change someone somehow (Pulaski in the case of the super-olds, Picard as mentioned above) is more like using the transporter to perform some weird surgery/genetic alteration, since while they only have the one pattern/person they can de/rematerialize somewhere, they do have a perfect record of that person's current state of being/health, and can modify elements to alter someone, rather than the equivalent of just wiping the current version and re-creating from the ground up with an old one.

Future Federation Humans are crazy borderline transhumanists, but pretty much every species uses transporters, and they can't ALL be crazy 'psh dying for travel convenience is totally fine' weirdos.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
willful denial is the most powerful force in the universe

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

either way, andorians are scum!

Now look if you wanna believe that Voyager is somehow good, fine. Everyone's entitled to their terrible opinions and I can ignore that (look where I am after all!) But choose your next words carefully, Janeway-loving petaQ!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wow, Ambassador Troi sexually harassing Odo is a lot less funny than it used to be. Being woke sucks.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wow, Ambassador Troi sucks.

ftfy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I maintain that the transporters don't kill you by design, they move you through ~~~SUBSPACE~~~, and you only get weird stuff like Thomas Riker when strange planets bounce your signal and create a clone of your pattern, or whatever. The rare edge cases where the transporter is used to change someone somehow (Pulaski in the case of the super-olds, Picard as mentioned above) is more like using the transporter to perform some weird surgery/genetic alteration, since while they only have the one pattern/person they can de/rematerialize somewhere, they do have a perfect record of that person's current state of being/health, and can modify elements to alter someone, rather than the equivalent of just wiping the current version and re-creating from the ground up with an old one.

Future Federation Humans are crazy borderline transhumanists, but pretty much every species uses transporters, and they can't ALL be crazy 'psh dying for travel convenience is totally fine' weirdos.

It's honestly way, way, way easier (and entirely consistent with a multitude of episodes) to just assume that souls are real in Star Trek, and that the transporter beam can move souls.

As for the Thomas Riker issue, TOS Mirror, Mirror presents another very easy answer: Thomas Riker is a Riker from a slightly parallel dimension where the log shows that he mysteriously and tragically disappeared during beamup from that planet.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Now, there is still a certain horror element of "what if you step into this drat atom-scattering box and get sent to a hellish alternate dimension", but this only shows that there ought to be a regulation against beaming through ~spatial anomalies~ or "kelbonite deposits" or medium-sized electrical substations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Now, there is still a certain horror element of "what if you step into this drat atom-scattering box and get sent to a hellish alternate dimension", but this only shows that there ought to be a regulation against beaming through ~spatial anomalies~ or "kelbonite deposits" or medium-sized electrical substations.

The federation is an OSHA nightmare.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

It's honestly way, way, way easier (and entirely consistent with a multitude of episodes) to just assume that souls are real in Star Trek, and that the transporter beam can move souls.

I guess that is, effectively, what "transporters are moving your ~~pattern~~ from one place to another, not just killing you and making a copy" represents, yeah. That it's still "you" that re-materializes, not just a different iteration of you. I mean, so long as that were the case, I'd be as fine with it as everyone on Trek is, but how can you ever REALLY know blah blah blah...

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wow, Ambassador Troi sexually harassing Odo is a lot less funny than it used to be. Being woke sucks.

It's a good habit to not "be woke" when watching decades-old TV shows. Just suspend your urges for an hour and enjoy Troi being Troi :banjo:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They've shown that there is continuity of consciousness within the transporter beam so no it's not murdering people every time they go somewhere

e: Khan literally behaves like a PUA in Space Seed and I can't un-notice it

naem
May 29, 2011

What if you end up in a slightly different dimension every single time you get transporter-ed

Like there are an infinite number of dimensions right?

So chicken tastes just slightly weird and, wait bernstain bears? That doesn't sound right, wait why is everyone left handed now

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
If the latest Cloverfield taught me anything it's that there is a dimension in which your disembodied parts retain sentience so that's pretty cool

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

naem posted:

What if you end up in a slightly different dimension every single time you get transporter-ed

Like there are an infinite number of dimensions right?

So chicken tastes just slightly weird and, wait bernstain bears? That doesn't sound right, wait why is everyone left handed now

That just means Moriarty still has you in the holodeck. I've been in there for years man.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Facebook Aunt posted:

He's a pussy for not goo-ing the poo poo out of her.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kitchner posted:

He's a pussy for not goo-ing the poo poo out of her pussy.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Speaking of transporter issues, it's always got me how Picard walks int the transporter room and says "beam the diplomatic party aboard" and then... they just do.

Like the diplomats or whoever have been standing around on their transporter pad staring blankly ahead for three minutes or whatever

Nobody ever uses their own transporter to board the Enterprise either, they gotta stand staring at a wall until Picard shows up, then brings them across with no warning

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

simplefish posted:

Speaking of transporter issues, it's always got me how Picard walks int the transporter room and says "beam the diplomatic party aboard" and then... they just do.

Like the diplomats or whoever have been standing around on their transporter pad staring blankly ahead for three minutes or whatever

Nobody ever uses their own transporter to board the Enterprise either, they gotta stand staring at a wall until Picard shows up, then brings them across with no warning

Eh, that's one of those things that can be handwaved as chain of custody or regulations. Gotta have a command officer and security to receive diplomats to ensure they're safe or never left unattended.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If those diplomats had their own shows you'd find yourself asking how the captains always beam them at the most opportune of times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Every star trek diplomat is such an rear end I image captains take glee in annoying them

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Every star trek diplomat is such an rear end I image captains take glee in annoying them

All ambassadors and star fleet members are the assholes that everyone else tricked into risking being killed by sentient goo for no pay with color coded jumpsuits and command structures.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I want to die like that dude did in the first movie just like haha you didn't expect that and maybe someone will say "drat it!" and slam their fist down. A few seconds later once everyone has moved on to more exciting space stuff and they teleported my body to the ships sewage tank (no way would I rate getting launched out into the void in a torpedo case) my ghost would smile and a single tear would roll down my face because it was the most anyone ever cared about me.

Then i suppose I'd go haunt a holodeck or something they should have an episode about that in a week or two

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

mods change my name posted:

I want to die like that dude did in the first movie just like haha you didn't expect that and maybe someone will say "drat it!" and slam their fist down. A few seconds later once everyone has moved on to more exciting space stuff and they teleported my body to the ships sewage tank (no way would I rate getting launched out into the void in a torpedo case) my ghost would smile and a single tear would roll down my face because it was the most anyone ever cared about me.

Then i suppose I'd go haunt a holodeck or something they should have an episode about that in a week or two

Sir, have you ever really considered the many advantages of inhabiting a candle?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sir, have you ever really considered the many advantages of inhabiting a candle?

You glorious bastard this is a brilliant idea

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

central dogma posted:

It's a good habit to not "be woke" when watching decades-old TV shows. Just suspend your urges for ... Troi

never

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Johnny Aztec posted:

I think you have to wait another 200 years or something before someone will come along and gently caress you though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kitchner posted:

I think you have to wait another 200 years or something before someone will come along and gently caress you though.

poo poo, not again!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

mods change my name posted:

Only if you get to let out an ear-piercing screech when you get recominated into a corn cob

Man that noise from TMP traumatized an 8 year old nerd.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

MA-Horus posted:

Man that noise from TMP traumatized an 8 year old nerd.

It truly is blood-curdling. Wasn't TMP G-rated...?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I just re-watched The Offspring last night and recognized Data's answer to his daughter's existential questions about purpose as a slight paraphrasing of Camus.

I knew there was a reason he was my robo-pal.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It truly is blood-curdling. Wasn't TMP G-rated...?

Google says PG. And that was before they invented PG13.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

TMP rules.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
That 20 minute long warp scene is intense.

I do like v'ger, I like crazy poo poo like that over Khan tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Shanghaied disco medallion hobo Travolta chic McCoy rules.