Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I really want these but gently caress me they are expensive in Canada :(

Have you ever looked at Gibby's or Electronicsforless? Thats where I got my R-25C from. I financed my R-15PMs at BB though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hello. I find myself in sudden need of new speakers as my rats just chewed through the interspeaker cable on my old logitechs, which were on their way out anyway.

My needs are simple, really, 2ch or 2.1, mountable to a wall (the 2, that is, the .1 can sit under the desk), ideally with interspeaker cables which detach on at least one end so I can ratproof them. Decent sound, budget around £60.

None of the sets I'm finding have mounting options :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

My Logitech z313 cord broke and I can’t replace it because it’s hardwired into the volume controller which is hardwired into the sub. I’ve been looking at the cyber acoustics 3602 . I use these speakers in a pool house(no risk of them getting wet though) so they need to have a replaceable aux cord in case it gets stepped on or something like that. Budget is like probably 80 max?

Find some cheap PA speakers on Craigslist.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey! Looking for a suggestion:

I'm looking for a desktop-sized receiver (Or hell, maybe a DAC?) that I can hook my PC and Nintendo Switch up to, that also has a headphone jack and supports a 2.1 system. My Google-Fu is failing as I can only find big-rear end receivers which work great in a lounge room, but are far too big for a desk. It doesn't need to be powerful because I'm gonna be sitting in front of the speakers while I use my PC for Music\Games\Movies (and obviously same for the Switch), so I don't need something that fires out globs of DB, but I'm a bit of a snob so something which is kind to the audio would be nice too.

Any suggestions? Or am I trying to find a beer which doesn't give you a hangover?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

H13 posted:

I'm looking for a desktop-sized receiver (Or hell, maybe a DAC?) that I can hook my PC and Nintendo Switch up to, that also has a headphone jack and supports a 2.1 system. My Google-Fu is failing as I can only find big-rear end receivers which work great in a lounge room, but are far too big for a desk. It doesn't need to be powerful because I'm gonna be sitting in front of the speakers while I use my PC for Music\Games\Movies (and obviously same for the Switch), so I don't need something that fires out globs of DB, but I'm a bit of a snob so something which is kind to the audio would be nice too.

Any suggestions? Or am I trying to find a beer which doesn't give you a hangover?

The type of speakers you plan to connect will ultimately determine what kind of gear you need, that and your budget.

If the speakers are self-powered then there are plenty of affordable, great performing desktop DACs out there (Schiit makes a bunch that I really like). If you’re planning on driving some passive speakers then you’ll need an amp/receiver to power them too.

Tell us what speakers you plan to use, how much money you plan to spend, and how much space you have available and we’ll be able to guide you much better.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I assume you're planning on using the headphone output from your Switch since if you want to do HDMI you're pretty much stuck with a receiver [or comedy $3000 Naim Uniti Atom option]. The closest thing to what you want in one box that isn't a receiver is the TEAC AI-101da but at $300 it costs as much as a receiver. They have similar DAC/amps up to a grand with bigger amps/more features. There's slimline receivers around the same price with much better performance but they are large. If you want to stick with small stuff maybe look into a miniDSP that you could then connect to your sub and a small amp.

People seem to love Schiit gear but it generally measures worse than generic Chinese DACs and they don't sell a single component that can do bass management for routing to your sub.

qirex fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 15, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

H13 posted:

Another opportunity to recommend my Klipsch R-15PMs. Amazing sound with a plethora of connection options. Just speakers, no other box on your desk

Edit: actually scratch that, no headphone jack. Nah, buy em anyway

codo27 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 16, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Should I go for paired Yamaha HS8s or a pair of Focal Alpha 80. The Focals usually sell for a lot more but a bloke nearby is selling his near new for a chunk below retail, and they're roughly the same price as the HS8s. Intending to use as desktop monitors, probably with a Schiit Jotunheim.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Should I go for paired Yamaha HS8s or a pair of Focal Alpha 80. The Focals usually sell for a lot more but a bloke nearby is selling his near new for a chunk below retail, and they're roughly the same price as the HS8s. Intending to use as desktop monitors, probably with a Schiit Jotunheim.

get the Focals and be happy. HS8s have basically no low end to speak of and need a sub if you’re in a treated space.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

5-HT posted:

get the Focals and be happy. HS8s have basically no low end to speak of and need a sub if you’re in a treated space.

I followed your advice and they are loving dope. Guy threw in a Scarlett 2i4 (1st gen) too. No other accessories though, so need to figure out isolation pads and mounts and stuff.

I'm a total noob to the studio monitor space, literally coming from some Simple Audio Listens so any hot tips would be appreciated.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

BurritoJustice posted:

I followed your advice and they are loving dope. Guy threw in a Scarlett 2i4 (1st gen) too. No other accessories though, so need to figure out isolation pads and mounts and stuff.

I'm a total noob to the studio monitor space, literally coming from some Simple Audio Listens so any hot tips would be appreciated.

I read a bit about those monitors and they look sick, and huge. I have a soft spot for focal because they made the woofers in my nicest set of towers.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DoesNotCompute posted:

I read a bit about those monitors and they look sick, and huge. I have a soft spot for focal because they made the woofers in my nicest set of towers.

I literally had to put away my second monitor to fit the loving things, I'm pretty hilariously out of my depth.

God they sound good though

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Recently I switched rooms and got a new desk so I've moved my whole setup around a few times(computer, speakers, etc) and I'm pretty sure I managed to either damage my motherboards onboard sound or it is just finally biting the dust being ~7 years old and heavily used. Once I got everything finally set up how I like it this time around I've been having a lot of issues with grainyness/hissing/noise coming out of my speakers and I'm hoping for some kind of simple-ish/cheap-ish/temporary type solution.

Setup is super simple : Computer Onboard Sound 3.5mm jack -->> L/R RCA Splitter, one going to each of my KRK Rokit 5's. I've tried switching out the actual cables with backup ones and that remedied nothing. I've tried using a different source(cell phone, mp3 player) and neither of those had the noise/hissing issue. Those two things are leading me to believe, again, that it's simply the motherboard getting old or something got jostled around/broke during all the movement. Thing is that otherwise this PC is still doing great and I think I can easily get another year or maybe two out of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something relatively cheap/easy that I could use to try and remedy the issue temporarily or even something good enough to carry onto my next setup? Is there any cheap USB sound cards/adapter type things that you guys could recommend trying so that I can circumvent the onboard sound/3.5mm jack entirely? I'm not sure if people even buy internal sound cards anymore but I'd rather not go that route as I want to build a SFF computer next time around wouldn't be able to reuse it/fit it into my future case. Should I look into some kind of desktop DAC/amp thing like the Schitt Modi and run USB from the computer to the DAC and then RCA cables from the DAC to the speakers? If it's something worth keeping for my future setups I don't mind spending more so budget isn't super important, I just don't want to spend $200 on something that I won't use once I build the new PC in a year.

Edit: The more I read, I'm thinking it could actually have something to do with the power cords picking up line noise or something. I'm seeing many people talking about switching power cables and having their noise/hissing/humming either reduce greatly or disappear entirely. When I tested it with my cellphone/mp3 player I used a different outlet and power cord since everything on my new desk is wire tucked/routed/etc so I didn't want to disconnect everything.

Anyone ever have this kind of issue where the power cables themselves are the thing adding noise/hum/hissing to their speakers? Is there some kind of shielded or higher quality power cords that can be suggested? Is this all audiophile snake oil type situation? I don't want to spend $100 on some power cords preferrably.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 4, 2018

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Do you know what a ground loop sounds like? Just want to make sure it's not that. Not usually described as hissing, though. It's a 60 hz hum. There are youtube videos that showcase it.

If that's the case, shuffling around your power cords so everything's grounded via the same path or buying an Ebtech Hum-X for the speakers can fix it. If your motherboard has an optical out, this is a nice cheap option as well: https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS/

Cheapish USB DAC if it's not a ground loop: https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
So related but separate question. I currently have my powered speakers hooked up via https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS/ and my headphones via the FiiO E10K. It works pretty well -- turn off the E10K, and the playback device flips to onboard sound/optical output and the monitors become active. Only drawback is I only have software volume control for the monitors.

I'd like to get a combination box that can both drive mid-range headphones like the HD 650 well and provide an output for the speakers -- main feature I'm looking at adding is a volume control knob for the monitors. Does such a thing exist in a small, desktop-ish form factor? Would the Schiit Jotunheim or the Scarlett 2i2/2i4 do the trick?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

KS posted:

Do you know what a ground loop sounds like? Just want to make sure it's not that. Not usually described as hissing, though. It's a 60 hz hum. There are youtube videos that showcase it.

If that's the case, shuffling around your power cords so everything's grounded via the same path or buying an Ebtech Hum-X for the speakers can fix it. If your motherboard has an optical out, this is a nice cheap option as well: https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS/

Cheapish USB DAC if it's not a ground loop: https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/

I actually was not aware of what a ground loop is and what it sounds like. That might be it after all. I just grabbed another backup power cord and walked around my entire apartment plugging it into all sorts of different sockets, power strips, UPS's units etc and it happened everywhere. Now I'm super confused due to not hearing it when I plugged my mp3 player and cellphone into it earlier, maybe I was mistaken because I'm definitely hearing it every time I plug them in now. Some plugs it seems louder/worse than others. This is with no actual audio input cables plugged in and no sources, just plugging in the power cord and flipping the switch on. Neither the volume control knob on the back or the HF level adjust knob affect the sound whatsoever.

Maybe the speakers have always been doing it but my old setup was just less optimized so I wasn't hearing it? Previously I had a much smaller desk and the speakers had to sit mostly behind/obscured by my computer monitors. I also sat slightly further away previously. I'm seriously thinking that might just be it now.

Would my only solution at this point be either buying some kind of power conditioner or one of those hum eliminator things? Might be time to retire my beloved Rokit 5's if that's the case.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Well, if it's doing it while disconnected from sources, or while connected only to a battery-powered source that isn't currently charging like a cellphone, it's probably not a ground loop, so the Hum-X won't help.

If it's a new room, you could be picking up interference from somewhere too. Time to test them in another area?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

KS posted:

Well, if it's doing it while disconnected from sources, or while connected only to a battery-powered source that isn't currently charging like a cellphone, it's probably not a ground loop, so the Hum-X won't help.

If it's a new room, you could be picking up interference from somewhere too. Time to test them in another area?

Not really sure, I went around my entire apartment and tried all kinds of different outlets, power strips, UPS units, battery backups, etc.

I'm thinking it's just something the speakers have done or developed over time and that it really was that my setup previously has always been way sub-optimal so I just didn't notice it or hear it. The hissing/hum sound is primarily coming from the tweeter area and simply sliding the speakers over a few inches so they are more obscured/behind my monitors more made the sound "go away" entirely again. I say "go away" because if I get up and walk around my desk to the side and stick my head next to the speakers I can still hear it of course, but from my seating position it is non-existent.

Edit: VVVVV Yeah I came across a few videos about that in my searches for people having hissing/humming Rokit 5's. I'm not entirely sure if that applies to me since mine are the previous generation. These speakers are probably nearing their 15th anniversary for me.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 4, 2018

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
At least some KRK Rokit monitors have glue on the circuitboards that causes problems over time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=019eUy-vNhk

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

What's the story with studio monitor mounts? They all seem be just a rubber top with no securing mechanism for the speakers, and I'm worried about a friend leaning on them or something and knocking them off. Do speakers typically come with mounting points? I'm using the aforementioned Focal Alpha 80s.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Has anyone heard the new ADAM Audio T-Series monitors? They seem like they might hit that sweet spot between Affordable powered speaker and studio monitor.
Could be really good to use in conjunction with my Surface for a compact / mobile desk setup.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Has anyone heard the new ADAM Audio T-Series monitors? They seem like they might hit that sweet spot between Affordable powered speaker and studio monitor.
Could be really good to use in conjunction with my Surface for a compact / mobile desk setup.

In this video they seem to feel that the 7 inch version its similar or slightly better than the HS7 (which I would call kind of the midrange gold standard imo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0OZO7Z9PhY

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Taima posted:

In this video they seem to feel that the 7 inch version its similar or slightly better than the HS7 (which I would call kind of the midrange gold standard imo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0OZO7Z9PhY

Might have to take a trip to guitar center and demo them for myself then!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We have a whole bunch of speakers here at work that were used for various exhibits, so I pieced together the Z-5300 set that was there as I'm trying my darndest to clean out this dungeon of an office I've inherited and music is the only chance of me having any sort of focus or getting anything done. What an absolute piece of poo poo these speakers are. Something has to be wrong here. I mean I've got Kipsch speakers in my living room and office but my god. Its like AM radio. What a waste of time. Should have just kept using the speakers built into my monitor.

e: just realized HP decided to use loving conexant audio chips in these desktops so thats probably the reason it sounds so loving bad.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 24, 2018

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
My EDIFIER S530D 2.1 Rev.2 just died 10 minutes ago - lasted only 6 years and no longer turns on.

Any recommendations for a 2.1. pc speaker set including a subwoofer? Mostly for retrowave music and gaming. Something in the 2-300€ class.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Hammerstein posted:

My EDIFIER S530D 2.1 Rev.2 just died 10 minutes ago - lasted only 6 years and no longer turns on.

Any recommendations for a 2.1. pc speaker set including a subwoofer? Mostly for retrowave music and gaming. Something in the 2-300€ class.

have you checked the fuse?
could be a really cheap fix if it is just the fuse

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

derk posted:

have you checked the fuse?
could be a really cheap fix if it is just the fuse

I just pulled it out, the wire seems ok.

Probably hard to see, cause of the glare, but with the naked eye it looked fine, the wire does not seem to be dangling or something.

Can't really test the power supply, it's inside the subwoofer and unaccessible unless I take the whole subwoofer apart. There are no outside leds to check if power is on, or on standby. The cable--bound control device has nothing like a reset button.

I guess it's broken - probably not worth the effort to take it to a shop. Edifier also has no service center in my country, so I would have to send the thing to Germany, I rather write it off and look for something new.

Edit:

Currently eyeing the Klipsch R-15PM, a bit more than I wanted to spend, but they might save me the subwoofer and they seem to have better voice and clarity than the Edifier set I had.

Edit#2

Seems the Klipsch might not be the ideal speakers for me, cause several people report a near-field hiss coming from them, which would be audible at the distance I have to place them. The bass also seems a little underwhelming in Retro- and Synthwave music judging from the videos I saw. Mids and heights are beautiful though.

Tricky decision....

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 11, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

May I ask about TV speakers here / freestanding speakers in general? I want to pick up these bad boys (Yamaha NSF51) and plug them into my Smart TV. The audio quality on the TV is garbage and it can be really hard to hear dialogue, so I usually watch with subtitles on, or I have to put the volume insanely loud.

Does anyone have any feedback on these speakers? The reviews seem great, they're in my price range, but you lot know your poo poo and there might be speakers 2x the performance / quality for 10% more in price. I also have no idea how to plug these into my TV cause they use the old red and black outputs, and I think my TV only has those weird HDMI audio connectors.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know nothing about those speakers other than that you will need an amplifier or receiver to power them. Basically your TV goes to the amp which then powers the speakers. If you want to directly plug your TV into speakers you need something that has the amplifier built in.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Ive ended up with a few Sonos play1s, is there a way I can get these hooked up to my PC relatively inexpensively?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I've been using a Dayton Audio DTA-120 amp on my PC for four years paired with the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers, and I've been very pleased with the setup. But I've recently been thinking maybe it would be better if I went to a solution that was more digital, so I started browsing amazon for comparable amps with a DAC and USB + Optical.

I found a few, most notably this Micca OriGain thing and then I realized that I didn't know poo poo about audio equipment.

One thing that noticed that amazon is swimming in a certain type of amp that matches the pattern of this Fosi. While these amps have DACs and USB, they have RCA outputs instead of speaker terminals.

These amps also list their power output as ###mW @ ##Ohms instead of listing watts per channel @ #Ohms like a normal amp.

Do these type of amps list their power that way because they are designed for headphones and are less powerful? Does the presence of RCA outputs instead of speaker terminals play into that?

Also how does one DAC compare to another? The majority of these amazon amps boast a 192khz sample rate, but I suspect that the sample rate might be different depending on what digital input is used. I figured that since many $30-$80 seemingly identical amps list a 192khz sample rate, then that frequency should be standard, but some amps, like the Micca I linked to are only 96khz. That seems worse. Oh No! Does my uneducated rear end really need to be concerned about sample frequency?

If anybody knows of a suitable amp for my purposes with USB and Optical in and power comparable to my Dayton, I would appreciate any suggestions.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KoB posted:

Ive ended up with a few Sonos play1s, is there a way I can get these hooked up to my PC relatively inexpensively?

They’re streaming speakers only, if you just want to use them for music they’ll work great but they have no live audio input and even if you manage something with software it’ll have a lot of latency. If that’s not what you need your best bet is to flip them, you could get enough cash for a really good set of monitors.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Copper Vein posted:

One thing that noticed that amazon is swimming in a certain type of amp that matches the pattern of this Fosi. While these amps have DACs and USB, they have RCA outputs instead of speaker terminals.

These amps also list their power output as ###mW @ ##Ohms instead of listing watts per channel @ #Ohms like a normal amp.

Do these type of amps list their power that way because they are designed for headphones and are less powerful? Does the presence of RCA outputs instead of speaker terminals play into that?
For simplicity's sake, you should call this type of device a dac. It does contain a headphone amplifier (and is labeled as such) but wouldn't in common terminology be called an amp in the broader sense. The main outputs are at line level and are intended to be connected with an actual amplifier that then brings things up to speaker level or with powered speakers where this happens within a single package. In other words, this device cannot be used to replace your amp, but is used to convert the digital type signals to something an amp can work with.

The power output listed is for the headphone output only.

Copper Vein posted:

Also how does one DAC compare to another? The majority of these amazon amps boast a 192khz sample rate, but I suspect that the sample rate might be different depending on what digital input is used. I figured that since many $30-$80 seemingly identical amps list a 192khz sample rate, then that frequency should be standard, but some amps, like the Micca I linked to are only 96khz. That seems worse. Oh No! Does my uneducated rear end really need to be concerned about sample frequency?
You should not be concerned with sample frequency at all. 44.1kHz covers the entire spectrum of what a human can hear. It's audiophiles and marketing rotting the industry from the inside out. If you poorly implement a DAC with a sample rate over 44.1kHz, you end up with aliasing within the audible spectrum. Best case it is properly implemented and there's no audible difference. Properly designed and made DAC chips are cents a piece.

Beyond the conversion chip in the device we call a DAC, there are analog components, like the headphone output amplifier. There could be minute audible differences between implementations if you did a direct comparison. No specs list is going to help you with those though and the differences are entirely unrelated to the sample rate supported by the chip.

This is all just ignoring that you're not anywhere likely to have source material (ie. files) you're going to be playing through it that are recorded, mixed, mastered and published in the higher sample rate. If there were theoretical benefits (there aren't, not even in recording), you'd never have a way to find out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Will Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones be good for PC use / gaming? If I turn noise cancelling off, it won't be an issue using Discord and stuff, right? Cause when NC is on, you can hear your own voice weirdly which makes talking strange.

In need of better headphones, and figured these are a bump in quality compared to my ATH-M50X's. I've also heard great things about wireless headphones, and it'll be nice to no have to constantly reposition the cable when it gets stuck on the chair etc.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KoB posted:

Sonos desktop app?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Heyyy, anyone have a recommended replacement one of these:

that isn't a flaky POS? The pot for the volume control flakes out so I have to move it up and down to get audio in both ears a lot of the time. I'd be totally fine with not having a volume knob too, I just can't find the right words to plug in to Amazon to get two female 3.5mm jacks to a single cable to two male 3.5mm plugs (I'd rather deal with this one being janky over having two separate cords hanging around.)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

teh_Broseph posted:

Heyyy, anyone have a recommended replacement one of these:

that isn't a flaky POS? The pot for the volume control flakes out so I have to move it up and down to get audio in both ears a lot of the time. I'd be totally fine with not having a volume knob too, I just can't find the right words to plug in to Amazon to get two female 3.5mm jacks to a single cable to two male 3.5mm plugs (I'd rather deal with this one being janky over having two separate cords hanging around.)

You either want two 3.5mm TRS female to male cables to extend your connections, or
One 3.5mm TRS female to male cable and a headphone amp, or
My personal recommendation: an audio interface that supports line inputs.
Options include:
  • a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 + 1/8" to 1/4" TRS adapter (Plus a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TS splitter if you want stereo mic input.)
    I'm sure you can find a good deal on the Scarlett or something similar if you look a bit. I paid $300 for mine but it came with a really nice large diaphragm microphone and suspension stand plus a set of ATH M70x headphones which were worth the $300 alone at the time.
  • Creative Soundblaster USB "Sound Card" I don't know of any other brand that offers an interface with a 1/8" stereo mic input like this. It's obviously not for recording but it seems to fit your bill.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 3, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You either want two 3.5mm TRS female to male cables to extend your connections, or
One 3.5mm TRS female to male cable and a headphone amp, or
My personal recommendation: an audio interface that supports line inputs.
Options include:
  • a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 + 1/8" to 1/4" TRS adapter (Plus a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TS splitter if you want stereo mic input.)
    I'm sure you can find a good deal on the Scarlett or something similar if you look a bit. I paid $300 for mine but it came with a really nice large diaphragm microphone and suspension stand plus a set of ATH M70x headphones which were worth the $300 alone at the time.
  • Creative Soundblaster USB "Sound Card" I don't know of any other brand that offers an interface with a 1/8" stereo mic input like this. It's obviously not for recording but it seems to fit your bill.

I appreciate it, but sorry was kind of late when I wrote that, all I need is a cheap extension cord for my headset to talk and play video games :D - I'm just not finding one with the double input/output thing for the mic and headphones like in the picture as I don't want two cables dangling around. I haven't tried to just find the pictured Steelseries replacement cause I've heard folks complain on SA about every cable like that they've used always having the volume knob be shoddy and mess with the audio after a while. This is to plug a headset that has separate 1/8" for mic and headphones into the mic and headphone jacks of an external Soundblaster "card". What do folks normally do for PC headsets - are the cables usually a lot longer (mine's super short unless using the extension that came with it), has everything gone USB?

Ya know, staring at my setup I'm just gonna re-arrange and try getting my external Soundblaster a lot closer.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I see several headset extension cords on aliexpress.

It would get simpler if you were ok with zip tying two regular cables into one bundle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

My venerable Z-2300 has kicked the bucket (or the control pods died again). Before I go drop $40 on another pod hoping that's the issue, is there anything in the $1-300 range of comparable/better quality that doesn't suffer from the lingering defect of being 10 years old?