Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Wamdoodle posted:

Was there a huge shakeup at Bungie between Destiny 1 and 2?

Yes, many D1 veterans walked out.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/04/08/destiny-creative-lead-quits/
https://kotaku.com/a-ton-of-destiny-devs-have-left-bungie-recently-to-make-1784402854

I'm sure more news broke out around the time D2 was allegedly rebooted for the nth time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there any way to gain vanguard levels in a reasonable amount of time? I want that handcannon but hell if I'm going to grind strikes for 40 levels at this rate.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Have thousands of tokens saved up? :v:

Also stolen from Ularg in the IoSM thread

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

Is there any way to gain vanguard levels in a reasonable amount of time? I want that handcannon but hell if I'm going to grind strikes for 40 levels at this rate.

its supposed to be a progressive reward you get over the course of the season from doing your NF + 3 heroics per week.

If you want it that bad, run prestige nf

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
why does nightfall not have matchmaking

why is "guided games" even still a thing that exists

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Because bungo are good at making games
https://i.imgur.com/zFxXyMQ.mp4

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 15, 2018

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

limaCAT posted:

Yes, many D1 veterans walked out.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/04/08/destiny-creative-lead-quits/
https://kotaku.com/a-ton-of-destiny-devs-have-left-bungie-recently-to-make-1784402854

I'm sure more news broke out around the time D2 was allegedly rebooted for the nth time.

Ah, I thought I remembered something like this.

Minrad posted:

Weren't Bungie some of the first devs to make matchmaking a thing with Halo? At least startingwith 3. I'm not sure about 2. Also, Bungie seems to be in perpetual crunch time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Minrad posted:

Yeah, I don't really get what "guided game" is supposed to be. It's like matchmaking, but apparently "BETA" and much worse because it tells you it will be like a 30 minute queue, and apparently you have a limited amount of tokens for it? How does bungie not realize this would be super confusing and off putting to new players?

I feel like if they want to have content that can't be matchmade, just leave it like that rather then making a lovely half-measure that only leaves people confused.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Bungie is notorious for trying to scrap together games at the last minute. Only Halo 2’s multiplayer (the campaign’s development was a catastrophe), Halo 3, and Halo Reach were made with a reasonable development time.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Also, Bungie seems to be in perpetual crunch time.

yeah I don't envy anyone working on this game right now, it must be like some dark parody of programmer jokes about debugging

you fix one thing about destiny 2, a dozen other problems now crop up in other systems as a result of one positive change.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I don't really get what "guided game" is supposed to be. It's like matchmaking, but apparently "BETA" and much worse because it tells you it will be like a 30 minute queue, and apparently you have a limited amount of tokens for it? How does bungie not realize this would be super confusing and off putting to new players?

I feel like if they want to have content that can't be matchmade, just leave it like that rather then making a lovely half-measure that only leaves people confused.

yeah the fact that heroic strikes are now the "hard" content and nightfall is the "easy" content but the former has matchmaking and the latter doesn't is like a joke at their expense

I get not having matchmaking for the raid and prestige nightfall, but not having an ingame group finder is inexcusable. it's one of those things where you can probably point the blame at some high level dev insisting that Destiny 2 is not an MMO so features that are bog standard for MMOs will not work in Destiny 2, *adds weekly lockouts to all progression*

Minera fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 15, 2018

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, just got back from the field, ready to redownload and experience the fun.

Any decent? Anyone still playing it that I could NF/Raid with?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mill Village posted:

Bungie is notorious for trying to scrap together games at the last minute. Only Halo 2’s multiplayer (the campaign’s development was a catastrophe), Halo 3, and Halo Reach were made with a reasonable development time.

I remember being bothered for the longest time that there was a level in the Halo 2 preview footage was nowhere to be found in-game.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, just got back from the field, ready to redownload and experience the fun.

Any decent? Anyone still playing it that I could NF/Raid with?

All told Hellas Basin is probably the best public zone they've put in Destiny 2. Escalation is neat (if frustrating to experience through the new light level cap) and the new quests in the public zones are fun to do in them, on top of a good variety of public events and gimmicks, like the javelin.

And yeah there's always groups going at all times in the three discords.

Oxyclean posted:

I remember being bothered for the longest time that there was a level in the Halo 2 preview footage was nowhere to be found in-game.

"halo 2 finish the fight" is like the longest standing meme I can think of whenever a game abruptly ends

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Master Chief, you mind telling me what you’re doing on that ship?

HALO 3 BAYBEEEE

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Minrad posted:

All told Hellas Basin is probably the best public zone they've put in Destiny 2. Escalation is neat (if frustrating to experience through the new light level cap) and the new quests in the public zones are fun to do in them, on top of a good variety of public events and gimmicks, like the javelin.
Yeah, I'm actually kind of digging Mars now that I've spent some time on it. The code caches are a neat gimmick.

There's one quest that just sort of came to an end despite being like 1/5 - I assume it has a weekly gate like the Mercury stuff?

Minrad posted:

"halo 2 finish the fight" is like the longest standing meme I can think of whenever a game abruptly ends

"Destiny 2 finish the fight" :v:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Guided games is great. Just find a clan member, queue as leads and talk poo poo about the pubby while cruising right through for the reward.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Oxyclean posted:

There's one quest that just sort of came to an end despite being like 1/5 - I assume it has a weekly gate like the Mercury stuff?

The ikelos handcannon one? Check the pursuit tab in your inventory, it goes on quite a bit longer.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

The ikelos handcannon one? Check the pursuit tab in your inventory, it goes on quite a bit longer.

Nah, there was another one going separate - like diary or something, it was like 3 patrols, do a lost sector, open one of those code caches, then it went back to Bray and I shoved it into some computer.

The hand cannon pursuit feels like a slog - I'm at the stage where you need to kill powerful enemies with it equipped. (Do you need to have it out, or literally just "equipped"?)

e: Also, how hard is the original raid these days? I've gotten the impression it has some tedious parts (dog stealth section?) and some stuff that has a learning curve that basically means you'll spend a good few hours on it.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 15, 2018

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Equipped iirc.

Just start a normal leviathan, murder the guards at the entrance and do that 2-3 times, you'll get that stage done in no time!

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Yeah, the weird 1/5 one that looked like a decryption key is a 5 week step thing for the polaris lance-- ana bray's gun

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

"Destiny 2 finish the fight" :v:

Destiny 2, finish the game!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Oxyclean posted:

The hand cannon pursuit feels like a slog - I'm at the stage where you need to kill powerful enemies with it equipped. (Do you need to have it out, or literally just "equipped"?)

It just needs to be equipped, you can kill them with your other weapons as long as it's equipped in another slot.

And that quest was easy to cheese with the "Exodus Siege" adventure on Nessus where it spits out a yellow bar dude from a monster closet who drops a quest item when you kill it but if you just don't pick that up it'll keep spitting them out. They also drop purple ammo so you can just stand there and fire rockets at them all day long.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

AAB posted:

Yeah, the weird 1/5 one that looked like a decryption key is a 5 week step thing for the polaris lance-- ana bray's gun

Oooh the only exotic weapon I'm still missing. Guess it'll take a while.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay digging into the lore a bit.

Turns out Xur is an "Agent of the Nine" know who the Nine are? The Nine are the Nine Levels of Management it takes to make this loving game

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

AAB posted:

Guided games is great. Just find a clan member, queue as leads and talk poo poo about the pubby while cruising right through for the reward.

lol what this does own

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Just lol if you have never done a guided game because you needed a pubbie body as third fireteam member.

It used to disable nightfall challenges though, which kinda sucked.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Dang I was looking forward to the reset today but poo poo's in maintenance until 1 pm PDT now.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Half my discord is playing right now? Also there wasn't supposed to be any downtime.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fathis Munk posted:

Half my discord is playing right now? Also there wasn't supposed to be any downtime.

Weird. I guess "in maintenance" doesn't automatically mean servers are down.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

DrNutt posted:

indeed, twitter dot com forward slash bungie help

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DrNutt posted:

One of the many advantages to using their tricked out new game engine is they can do maintenance without downtime

[Takes 9 months to reduce sniper flinch]

[Takes 5 months to add damage to Prom Lens]

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Stormgale posted:

He used "Regular" weapons, to try and stop them getting to Siva

Arguably, he was testing a variety of weapon systems on guardians to see what's up. Then they got too close he set Siva on them.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They made guided games so steve could look at stuff in the raid without talking to anyone

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

moist turtleneck posted:

They made guided games so steve could look at stuff in the raid without talking to anyone

Post the gif moist

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Legs Benedict posted:

indeed, twitter dot com forward slash bungie help

Wow, if only there were some way to just say that on the same splash page that informed me of the maintenance rather than asking me to go to loving Twitter. :shrug:

Also love that the weekly whatsit for Ana Bray means that every other rear end in a top hat in the game is camping the Valkyrie spots so they can get their kills.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/dI1M8Ey.gifv

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Prom lense has always been good

https://i.imgur.com/iQd6SMB.mp4

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 15, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Fathis Munk posted:

Prom lense has always been good

no literally they intentionally made it Really Bad as a "temporary" fix

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oof what is with the terrible texture work on that new Vigilance Wing ornament? Like the design already looks like something out of loving Paladins but the low res textures look like they've been poorly shopped in. Lol this is a game that's supposed to look good at 4k and that poo poo looks like rear end in 1440p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

no literally they intentionally made it Really Bad as a "temporary" fix

I actually haven't had the time to try it out since the rework, looking forward to it, it's a great gun.

• Locked thread