Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting the millions of people who willingly live on floodplains. Who will watch their homes and lives be destroyed during a big storm and just go "How did this happen?!? Oh well, time to clean the house up once the water drains away".

Volcanoes, floodplains, California forests, property investment in 2008, humans in general are bad at risk assessment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting the millions of people who willingly live on floodplains. Who will watch their homes and lives be destroyed during a big storm and just go "How did this happen?!? Oh well, time to clean the house up once the water drains away".

Eh that's a tad different. For starters they're a lot more common than volcanoes, and in a lot of countries they're some of the only flat land around. Floods can end up in some pretty unexpected (to the layman) places.

Mind you, I do get frustrated sometimes (flood defence engineer) with people kicking off about it. Especially when they live literally next to a river.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

if people werent able to kid themselves that they were gonna be fine, nobody would ever do anything

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

punchymcpunch posted:

if people werent able to kid themselves that they were gonna be fine, nobody would ever do anything

And now it's going to get us all killed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

In fairness, most homes there are extremely expensive, plus it's an island so the poor can't exactly GTFO

Doesn't Hawaii have a huge homeless problem?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't Hawaii have a huge homeless problem?

Not for much longer...

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

:drat:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trastion posted:

Not for much longer...

holy poo poo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trastion posted:

Not for much longer...

One might argue there will be a greater homelessness problem, on the other hand.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

chitoryu12 posted:

One might argue there will be a greater homelessness problem, on the other hand.

But then that hand gets melted off by the lava, so we return once again to homeostasis.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Centipedes? In my UTSC? It's more likely than you think.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Pendragon posted:

They are building million dollar homes there.

If I wasn't at work, I'd add a "Lava" overlay to the icons in the bottom left.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DandyLion posted:

But then that hand gets melted off by the lava, so we return once again to homeostasis.

Homelessostasis.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

alohaousing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
a few months ago there was a very good anime called Yuru Camp. It was simple little show about a group of high schoolers who enjoy camping. It inspired a lot of Japanese anime fans to take up camping, and was huge for the Japanese camping industry.

In America, some 4chan anime fans were also inspired to go camping. The results were not great.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

well the campfire tutorial worked

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pendragon posted:

This is Kapoho, a Hawaiian town that was basically destroyed when it was covered with lava in the 50s.

They are building million dollar homes there.

A story in pictures:

And yes, that is another giant builder sitting in the middle of their field which had fallen earlier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gorilla Salad posted:

A story in pictures:

And yes, that is another giant builder sitting in the middle of their field which had fallen earlier.

The house is clearly still standing despite three near-misses. They're conversation-pieces :wotwot:.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/The_Diesel_DGAF/status/995724454918488064

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

how_close_i_am_to_losing_my_shit.jpg

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

My dissertation was going to be building a network that automated calculating 3D trajectories of bolide events observed with these exact cameras, so this amuses me way more than it should.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Keep your friends close and your active volcanos closer

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
the replies being a million people going "oh poo poo same" is the saddest part :(

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Something something power steering

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dewgy posted:

Something something counter-steering

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/wOlw0nd.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dagen H posted:

Something something cownter-steering

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

“Here we see a honey bear not engaged in a life or death struggle about anything. These honey bears are placid and peaceful creatures and consequently bad television.”

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Careful, I'm not sure what weight that tree stand can bear .

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYqA58N3sEE

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Careful, I'm not sure what weight that tree stand can bear .

:frogout:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

nice

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Buy a double barrel at 35.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Two times zero is zero, so I'm doing well here.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I haven't thought much about retirement beyond "eat through my last paycheck, then die where I stand". Maybe having it happen on purpose wouldn't be so bad.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Sure, twice my monthly salary. No probs.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol nobody born after 1980 will ever retire