Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
It's going to be a mix of Albion Online crafting, and Conan. We all know how well those games turned out.

I only spent a week making this silver axe and got shot in the back of the head by an indian and died.

OR

You died from contracting malaria ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

TheAgent posted:

Node is a beautiful and wonderful creature, too good for the lovely world of MMOs

You're so good to me, I feel like you're the only one that understands :glomp:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

You're so good to me, I feel like you're the only one that understands :glomp:
come to the warframe paradise, my friend

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

TheAgent posted:

come to the warframe paradise, my friend

What does that offer me over Vermintide 2?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
vermintide 2 is loving great, but warframe checks a lot of mmo boxes without actually being an mmo (kinda sorta?)

it was my mmo suboxone after I quit wow, and half a year later it's still p fun

I'd give it a go. there's also some pretty big surprises that I don't want to ruin for you, but I think it's worth trying out

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TheAgent posted:

vermintide 2 is loving great, but warframe checks a lot of mmo boxes without actually being an mmo (kinda sorta?)

it was my mmo suboxone after I quit wow, and half a year later it's still p fun

I'd give it a go. there's also some pretty big surprises that I don't want to ruin for you, but I think it's worth trying out

I liked warframe a lot back in beta when it was a buggy janky mess. When I picked it up in live many patches later it was like a completely different game that I was no longer interested in.

You could say I'm a bad game aficionado.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

I liked warframe a lot back in beta when it was a buggy janky mess. When I picked it up in live many patches later it was like a completely different game that I was no longer interested in.

as many of us are. you're in good company

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DeathSandwich posted:

:same:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I have been sitting here trying to think of what all MMO's I've played. I think I have a problem...

EQ
EQ2
WoW
AC
AC2
Anarchy Online
DAoC
Vanguard
Earth and Beyond
Eve Online
FFXI
FFXV
Champions: Online
City of Heroes
Shadowbane
Lineage II
RIFT
Star Wars Galaxies
Star Wars: TOR
Age of Conan
Darkfall
Guild Wars 2

And I know there are more that I'm missing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deathbagel posted:

I have been sitting here trying to think of what all MMO's I've played. I think I have a problem...

A lot more :shobon:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

deathbagel posted:

EQ
EQ2
WoW
AC
AC2
Anarchy Online
DAoC
Vanguard
Earth and Beyond
Eve Online
FFXI
FFXV
City of Heroes
Shadowbane
Lineage II
RIFT
Star Wars Galaxies
Age of Conan
Darkfall
Guild Wars 2

Don't feel too bad, that list is almost exactly mine.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

how does a game that doesnt even exist have 7 pages

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Null1fy posted:

It's going to be that amazing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

deathbagel posted:

EQ
EQ2
WoW
AC
AC2
Anarchy Online
DAoC
Vanguard
Earth and Beyond
Eve Online
FFXI
FFXV
City of Heroes
Shadowbane
Lineage II
RIFT
Star Wars Galaxies
Age of Conan
Darkfall
Guild Wars 2

MMO's that i've put actual serious time into:
Ultima Online
Everquest
Everquest 2
Anarchy Online
Asherons Call
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XIV
Champions Online
Lineage II
Rift
Star Wars Galaxies
Star Wars the Old Republic
Age of Conan
Guild Wars
Guild Wars 2
Lord of the Rings Online
World of Warcraft
Neverwinter
Black Desert
Tree of Savior
Ragnarok Online
Maplestory
Archeage
Elder Scrolls Online
Star Trek Online
Eve Online
The Secret World
Wildstar
TERA
Aion
Lineage 2
Warhammer Online

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Null1fy posted:

Have you seen the star citizen thread(s)/subforum?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Null1fy posted:

Also, this isn't even the first time this game has had a thread. Been what two or three others?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

MMO's that i've put actual serious time into:
Ultima Online
Everquest
Everquest 2
Anarchy Online
Asherons Call
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XIV
Champions Online
Lineage II
Rift
Star Wars Galaxies
Star Wars the Old Republic
Age of Conan
Guild Wars
Guild Wars 2
Lord of the Rings Online
World of Warcraft
Neverwinter
Black Desert
Tree of Savior
Ragnarok Online
Maplestory
Archeage
Elder Scrolls Online
Star Trek Online
Eve Online
The Secret World
Wildstar
TERA
Aion
Lineage 2
Warhammer Online

No dungeons and dragons online? Did you have a favorite?

I started with UO and it was amazing at the time. I think EverQuest was even better though. I had to sell my account in high school because I realized if I didn't I was going to have a serious problem getting into college. Grades skyrocketed after quitting!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like to keep my list simple: I've played all the MMOs.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Freakazoid_ posted:

I like to keep my list simple: I've played all the MMOs.

Even the real lovely ones? Like Neocron and... whatever that one with playable dragons was? Horizons?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

milkman dad posted:

No dungeons and dragons online? Did you have a favorite?

I started with UO and it was amazing at the time. I think EverQuest was even better though. I had to sell my account in high school because I realized if I didn't I was going to have a serious problem getting into college. Grades skyrocketed after quitting!

Star Wars the Old Republic is my favorite MMO. That said, all of these games are bad because they are MMOs.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I played FFXI up till aht urghan, then wow, with bits of project1999/vanguard/tera/ffxiv/vanilla wow servers/neverwinter mixed in.

FFXI is still my favourite.

"drinking pubby tears" was the dumbest poo poo and made sure i never played anything like archeage or the various UO emulators.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
anarchy online is still alive

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

please knock Mom! posted:

what why

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

dreffen posted:

what why

Because this thread demonstrates no one is ever able to let go of their Special MMO Experience

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Pathos posted:

Because this thread demonstrates no one is ever able to let go of their Special MMO Experience

Shut up! You don't know me! I can quit whenever I want.

You guys want to buy some wow gold?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

dreffen posted:

Even the real lovely ones? Like Neocron and... whatever that one with playable dragons was? Horizons?

Ok not neocron, you got me there.

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!

please knock Mom! posted:

One thing I miss about AO was all the items had some backstory to them.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
What, no one has experienced the magic that was The Matrix Online or Auto Assault?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

clean ayers act posted:

What, no one has experienced the magic that was The Matrix Online or Auto Assault?

I forgot I did play the Matrix Online, but not for very long. Maybe a weekend or so? The game was terrible.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Ok not neocron, you got me there.

I remember liking Neocron. But I also remember liking DAoC much more.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

dreffen posted:

I remember liking Neocron. But I also remember liking DAoC much more.

DAoC is definitely the better mmo and is my personal #1, more so than pre-trammel UO.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Freakazoid_ posted:

DAoC is definitely the better mmo and is my personal #1, more so than pre-trammel UO.

I'll fight you

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Hell. Yes. I love UO but man. DAoC had it going on.

I hope Camelot Unchained will be good.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Coming from EQ1 then having a friend wanting me to play DAoC, I couldn't handle it. I always play a healer type and DAoC making it so being in melee with a NPC would automatically interrupt casting was the suck.

Arew
Jan 25, 2010

Some things just ain't easy.

clean ayers act posted:

Matrix Online was gold

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Freakazoid_ posted:

DAoC was great at small group PvP but drat did zerg vs zerg suck. It always came down to which group got their AoE Mez off first (whoever thought a huge AoE Mez ability should be in a PvP game should be shot).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Warhammer Online > DAoC. :c00lbutt::hf::clint:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Warhammer Tier 1 PVP was the bees knees. Matches were so much fun when the tide of battle swung back and forth and teams would keep pushing back across the map and there were so many good choke points where fights would tie up and just be massive slaughterhouses. Curbstomping a team at their graveyard was meh.

The only thrill I got out of DAoC was the first ramp room in the Spindelhalla dungeon because that game was a broken buggy mess.

Despite also being a buggy mess, I have a special place for Anarchy Online. Some of their systems were way ahead of the day and still not used properly today. I loved rolling missions and being able to kinda customize it to my liking. Buffing and implants were a mini game all its own and working in to equip some crazy overpowered gear was awesome when you finished figuring out the exact order you needed to equip and buff in.

DDO is a game I regret not keeping up with. I always thought it looked fun if you had a dedicated team of bros to play it with.

Orv
May 4, 2011
DDO was fun both with a group of friends actually taking it seriously, and as a solo player using a wizard class to mes things so everyone had to stand around and wait for your various spells to wear off before they could finish the dungeon. My understanding is that it has changed significantly in the last few years/expansions, but I barely even reached the original end game, since it was mostly cool to me as a more story-driven, or at least narrated dungeon crawler thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Givin posted:

Warhammer Tier 1 PVP was the bees knees. Matches were so much fun when the tide of battle swung back and forth and teams would keep pushing back across the map and there were so many good choke points where fights would tie up and just be massive slaughterhouses. Curbstomping a team at their graveyard was meh.

You pretty much described DAoC's battlegrounds. Easily accessible at different levels, especially on servers with free level 20's/30's and sometimes better balanced than end-game RvR.