Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm sure the IDF are capable of restraint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

XMNN posted:

As an organization, maybe. The individuals in it? I'd say 50/50 at best.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

XMNN posted:

For example, they might ziptie someone to the front of one of their vehicles.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

As an organization, maybe. The individuals in it? I'd say 50/50 at best.

I'm curious, did you do time with the IDF before you moved to the UK?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Pretty sure he’s said he did, yeah.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, did a full 3 years.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Of Israel and Palestine, 2018: Gazan into the abyss

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Miftan posted:

Yeah, did a full 3 years.

See much of this?

Prester Jane posted:

So long time ago I happened to have occasion to have an extended conversation with an Israeli who had formerly been in the IDF. She was a very well spoken and attractive lady of about 25 or so, and shared some amusing anecdotes about her time in the service. I forget what exactly in the conversation promoted this comment, but the last thing she said to me was basically "Yeah so one time I called in an artillery strike wrong and wound up killing an entire Palistinian family. Whoops". She had put her hand over her mouth as if she was mock sharing a secret with me, and giggled the entire time she said it.

I have seen a lot of motherfukers say some cold poo poo my day, but that Israeli lady has always stood out in my mind. She literally made a mistake that killed an innocent family- and she laughed it off like it was a somewhat embarrassing incident from high school that destroyed expensive equipment. Palestinians were simply not people to her, they were barely even objects.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

See much of this?

Remember that these are all 18-21 year old kids. They don't know poo poo about poo poo. In addition to that, Israeli indoctrination is pretty hardcore and most of the country is right wing/nationalist. I had a guy laugh and be proud of hitting a Palestinian protester in the head with a gas canister. We don't know what happened to him. I'm not gonna lie, I was a pretty lovely person when I was there as well. It's a massively ingrained cultural thing outside the IDF, and it's worse inside. It's dripped into you from day 1 that these people (lol, people) are a threat to your life if you get close to them. If you're not gonna get sucked into that culture while you're there, you're probably not in a combat role or refused to serve anyway.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Ah ok, I guess slaughtering families is ok cause the murderers ‘are 18-21 year old kids’ :jerkbag:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

Ah ok, I guess slaughtering families is ok cause the murderers ‘are 18-21 year old kids’ :jerkbag:

I'm not excusing it, I'm giving you background on why it's happening. Those things aren't mutually exclusive, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. This isn't the easiest thing in the world to talk about for me because it means I have to own up to being complicit in that poo poo.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Miftan posted:

I'm not excusing it, I'm giving you background on why it's happening. Those things aren't mutually exclusive, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. This isn't the easiest thing in the world to talk about for me because it means I have to own up to being complicit in that poo poo.

It really didn't come off that way, that poster is reaching.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Illuyankas posted:

Of Israel and Palestine, 2018: Gazan into the abyss

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
hell I'm glad israel executed 50 people. that's loving cool as hell

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's all very quiet today, are the protests still going on? hopefully the IDF have actually decided to exercise some restraint

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

XMNN posted:

it's all very quiet today, are the protests still going on? hopefully the IDF have actually decided to exercise some restraint

Does it matter at this point? The monstrous act they wanted to do has been done. They got away with it again. Job done both practically and symbolically.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah, it really paints plain that inthe eyes of the world, the life of the Palestinian is utterly disposable. There will probably be no serious repercussions for Israel to face for shooting over a thousand unarmed people.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Turkey expelled the Israeli ambassador today.

Ynet is reporting that there are sporadic protests all over the west bank and that there are 400 protesters near the gaza fence, no casualties reported so far today - https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5261314,00.html

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

See much of this?

I know PJ is a loving moron but you'd figure at least they would know what gallows humor is. People rationalize tragedy in hosed up ways, because people aren't beep boop computers. Welcome to humanity and hope this helps.

If that upsets you make sure you never talk to surgeons lol they make those sorts of jokes all the time

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This probably explains why today’s so quiet - Hamas have been trying to crack down. Not a huge surprise - sounds like Gazan medical facilities have basically collapsed already, so God alone knows what another wave of casualties of the same scale would do.

https://twitter.com/asafronel/status/996326590849175553?s=21

https://twitter.com/feraskilanibbc/status/996327093255442432?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsa posted:

I know PJ is a loving moron but you'd figure at least they would know what gallows humor is. People rationalize tragedy in hosed up ways, because people aren't beep boop computers. Welcome to humanity and hope this helps.

If that upsets you make sure you never talk to surgeons lol they make those sorts of jokes all the time

Can’t think of many surgeons who crack jokes about the time they accidentally massacred a loving family. And it’s real classy of you to assume you know better about what tone she was using than the person who was actually there during that conversation.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

lollontee posted:

Doing something that matters, and volunteering for Betselem does, will make you less depressed. You made the right choice.

Thank you, I needed that.
I'm now waiting for Betselem to call me back, it sounded as though they have many people wishing to volunteer at the moment.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'm now waiting for Betselem to call me back, it sounded as though they have many people wishing to volunteer at the moment.

You can easily find many of their executives on facebook and attempt to contact them directly.

Though TBH it's important to remember most of the actual groundwork in Btselem is done by palestinians so Israeli volunteers mostly do office work, if you want to actually get your hands dirty Machsum Watch and Taayush probably always look for volunteers.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Al Jazeera was showing the emergency meeting of the UN Security council regarding the protests. The Israeli ambassador was spouting some ghoulish poo poo.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ya'll goy lots to do as well, for thousands of even better reasons. Good luck, and try to not get shot by a high-powered military sniper rifle being wielded by sudo-fascist murderer!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

tsa posted:

"Can't you take a joke?" Isn't an acceptable defence of slaughtering a family.

Also lol yes let's compare the loving IDF killing kids and laughing to surgeons coping with failed surgery.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The argument that all of the killing is due to some 18-20 year olds rather than the IDF as a whole still implies that there are no martial-judicial consequences for indiscriminate murder of unarmed protesters which is just as bad and maybe even worse.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

well the soldier who was filmed straight up executing a bound man, remember him?
he was recently released after serving 9 out of his sentenced 12 months.

I feel certain that no sniper will even spend a day in court.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

well the soldier who was filmed straight up executing a bound man, remember him?
he was recently released after serving 9 out of his sentenced 12 months.

I feel certain that no sniper will even spend a day in court.

There is no chance these murderers will be reprimanded in any way for sure.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Miftan posted:

Yeah fine, but even according to the video that's not necessarily sniper fire, and we don't know who's doing it. Again, it probably is, but that video is crap for 'proof'. You'd be very hard pressed to have any sort of evidence of sniper fire on video though. Also these 'elite snipers' are 20 year olds who have had about a year of training at best, and maaaaaybe 6 months of that is with sniper rifles.

What do you mean, "we don't know who's doing it"? The IDF are the only people shooting at anyone on the Gaza border. Do you think the video was staged by Hamas to make Israel look bad, or something?

As for the "snipers" thing, I'm pretty sure snipers are doing most of the actual shooting on the border, as that's how live ammo fits into the IDF's current protest control (and PR) tactics. But even if it isn't, it's not like it's actually any better if it was a non-sniper shooting at an unarmed journalist who was clearly just standing around.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/996407523501584384

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

What do you mean, "we don't know who's doing it"? The IDF are the only people shooting at anyone on the Gaza border. Do you think the video was staged by Hamas to make Israel look bad, or something?

As for the "snipers" thing, I'm pretty sure snipers are doing most of the actual shooting on the border, as that's how live ammo fits into the IDF's current protest control (and PR) tactics. But even if it isn't, it's not like it's actually any better if it was a non-sniper shooting at an unarmed journalist who was clearly just standing around.

No, what I mean is that I can't tell that it's gunfire based on the video, so I don't know who is behind whatever it is. Again, you can corroborate that with people who were there, but the video itself isn't enough for anything. For the record, I believe it is sniper fire. I'm not gonna argue semantics of what a sniper is because I think you're right, it doesn't matter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

You're talking about prejudice. This is where a good definition of racism/antisemitism is extremely useful. Racism/antisemitism require institutional support. Black people can be prejudiced against whites, but cannot be racist against them.

So, racism and antisemitism are not excusable. Prejudice comes in a lot of forms and can be dealt with in different ways.

Antisemitism from Palestinians against Israelis doesn't have institutional support, though. Within the specific context of Israel/Palestine relations, antisemitism isn't the form of racism that is backed by greater society and the government.

tsa posted:

A surgeon making a mistake during surgery and the soldier of an occupying military calling in an artillery strike against an innocent family - basically the same thing!

Heck, for all we know even Hitler himself was secretly internally regretful and dealing with the trauma of his actions killing millions of people. Since you can't literally read minds, everything can be excused, even people joking about murder!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 15, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

People say that Israel is trying to goad Hamas into rocket attacks so that Bibi can start another war...but I wouldn’t call a ‘war’ a conflict in which one side with modern military equipment and airplanes bombs a bunch of people with rocks in a giant prison

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Ytlaya posted:

Antisemitism from Palestinians against Israelis doesn't have institutional support, though. Within the specific context of Israel/Palestine relations, antisemitism isn't the form of racism that is backed by greater society and the government.

Right, I wasn't disagreeing

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Regarde Aduck posted:

Does it matter at this point? The monstrous act they wanted to do has been done. They got away with it again. Job done both practically and symbolically.

It's probably a good thing they haven't massacred a bunch of protesters again? It sounds like that's mostly because there are fewer protesters to massacre, though

Darth Walrus posted:

This probably explains why today’s so quiet - Hamas have been trying to crack down. Not a huge surprise - sounds like Gazan medical facilities have basically collapsed already, so God alone knows what another wave of casualties of the same scale would do.
They had a surgeon at one of the hospitals (European General Hospital, I think) on PM describing the last 48 hours and it sounds like the theatres have been flat out since about midday yesterday

he also confirmed that the IDF seem to be aiming for people's legs and are using a lot of live ammunition

also apparently they pretty much have no access to even basic medical supplies like antibiotics

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Miftan posted:

Remember that these are all 18-21 year old kids. They don't know poo poo about poo poo. In addition to that, Israeli indoctrination is pretty hardcore and most of the country is right wing/nationalist. I had a guy laugh and be proud of hitting a Palestinian protester in the head with a gas canister. We don't know what happened to him. I'm not gonna lie, I was a pretty lovely person when I was there as well. It's a massively ingrained cultural thing outside the IDF, and it's worse inside. It's dripped into you from day 1 that these people (lol, people) are a threat to your life if you get close to them. If you're not gonna get sucked into that culture while you're there, you're probably not in a combat role or refused to serve anyway.

Maybe this isn't the thread for it, and I'm happy to take it to PMs (if you got 'em!), but have you heard of 'Breaking the Silence' and what do you think of their efforts?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So. What's the final casualty toll? How many dead, children, medics, martyrs without weapons? How many of the wounded by fascist gunshots?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
gently caress the us, and gently caress Nikki Haley https://twitter.com/eugenegu/status/996410679878828034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

lollontee posted:

So. What's the final casualty toll? How many dead, children, medics, martyrs without weapons? How many of the wounded by fascist gunshots?

You won't get that until everyone us out of critical condition. And since over 2000 were injured...