Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

little munchkin posted:

my second favorite promo of his after steiner math https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVOLkYxEdnY

Why does this guy have multiple videos of him cutting promos with random wrestlers? He seems like a cool dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hes probably just some random fan with a decent amount of cash to burn who went to a bunch of random wrestling autograph signings and went 'hey ill give you a couple hundred to record a promo with me'

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Vince I know you’re reading this. Sign him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

we're gonna gently caress em again!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i was getting gas the other day and Scott Steiner was on the next pump over

He drives the biggest, gaudiest SUV i've ever seen in my life. and he's not as tall as I thought he was

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Low Desert Punk posted:

talk about Big Poppa Pump

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Low Desert Punk posted:

He drives the biggest, gaudiest SUV i've ever seen in my life. and he's not as tall as I thought he was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycw58kKdQXI

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Low Desert Punk posted:

So both the SUV and the man get gassed every time they cross the street?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Low Desert Punk posted:

He's muscular as hell but I think he's 5'10 in real life. When I saw him near guys like Nash and hogan he always looked like a dwarf compared to them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here is with some jabroni mark fans.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I didn't see this here, but someone took the WCW contracts and made a site with a breakdown for how much each guy made: https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/wcw_contracts

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I didn't see this here, but someone took the WCW contracts and made a site with a breakdown for how much each guy made: https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/wcw_contracts

Hey this is pretty cool, thanks.

Weird that Kimberly isn't on there though. She was a pretty big star and easily the most famous Nitro Girl.

Torrie Wilson making more than Madusa is strange, too.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

ColeM posted:

He's muscular as hell but I think he's 5'10 in real life. When I saw him near guys like Nash and hogan he always looked like a dwarf compared to them.
I tell this story a lot, but Matt Morgan was always billed at 7'0, but I met him at a house show and he was two inches taller than me at most, and I'm 6'2. The only shocking thing about meeting wrestlers IRL is how jacked they are compared to the average person you meet. I met Heath Slater at a Walmart around here and he looked MASSIVE just because I'm not used to seeing people in shape around here.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Hey this is pretty cool, thanks.

Weird that Kimberly isn't on there though. She was a pretty big star and easily the most famous Nitro Girl.

Torrie Wilson making more than Madusa is strange, too.

Kimberly is on the list as Kimberly Page but is listed with the men for some reason.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
man, i've read about raven/saturn's free the flock match, but it really is a good one. for one night perry saturn was the most over and perfect babyface in the world. you establish kidman as a face immediately after the stable's breakup. it's such a great stable break-up match. for a group that was mostly jobbers that never won anything, the flock told a pretty good story.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

If you ever wanted to see what "sunrise, sunset" looks like in chart form...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

shiksa posted:

man, i've read about raven/saturn's free the flock match, but it really is a good one. for one night perry saturn was the most over and perfect babyface in the world. you establish kidman as a face immediately after the stable's breakup. it's such a great stable break-up match. for a group that was mostly jobbers that never won anything, the flock told a pretty good story.

It's also the ONLY good match on that PPV, IIRC

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

how did this company fail

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's also the ONLY good match on that PPV, IIRC

oh yeah it was pretty dire. wcw is starting to lurch and strain at this point so i'm anticipating a real downhill ride.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

magiccarpet posted:

Fun fact, when they returned from the commercial break, Goldberg was still walking around with Steiner in the air

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Yeah makes sense. Goldberg was pretty strong.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

magiccarpet posted:

Didn't use Buff enough.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

RealFoxy posted:

I met Heath Slater at a Walmart around here and he looked MASSIVE just because I'm not used to seeing people in shape around here.

I remember someone meeting the Miz and being astonished at how big Miz was, because WWE is a land of freaky monsters and hence the semi-freaky monsters just look like normal/small men unless you see them out in reality.

I also remember being at a Canadian park thing where a bunch of wrestlers played softball (Triple H was there, so you KNEW this was in the early days when he had no connections whatsoever) and due to circumstances Davey Boy Smith walked right past me. To my astonishment, I was slightly taller than him.

Also, in regards to the Master P discussion several pages back, I lived for a time in a certain place where the people I lived with were fans of a certain genre of entertainment and hence had BET on all the time. So I was exposed to dozens of hours of rap and hip-hop. I saw approximately ONE Master P video, once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enOXifkv0Jc

This was in 2001, so I guess that says it all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah seeing even Chris Jericho in a photograph with normal humans is kind of off-putting.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
No Limit Soldiers would have got over if they had included Slam Dunk Gorilla

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This is definitely interesting and raises so many questions. Were they just monumentally bad at merch sales as a company or is there hollywood accounting going on there so they didn't have to pay anyone? Some guys on there that were super popular made almost no money on merch and barely any on licensing (which I assume is video games and dvd sales?) All fudged accounting?

Also holy poo poo at the increase of nearly everyone from 1996 to 1997. Look at Sting for example - went from 70k to 900k and there are others that had even bigger jumps. Also why are some listed as having huge contracts but then had much less on the books? Many of those documents don't match up and I assume they weren't fabricated by a fan because they were taken from lawsuit paperwork?

All of it is fascinating to me for whatever reason.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This is definitely interesting and raises so many questions. Were they just monumentally bad at merch sales as a company or is there hollywood accounting going on there so they didn't have to pay anyone?
Why can't it be both?

Jericho told a story about his girlfriend buying his WCW action figure, and it rung up as a Hogan toy. Meaning Hogan got the royalties.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This is definitely interesting and raises so many questions. Were they just monumentally bad at merch sales as a company or is there hollywood accounting going on there so they didn't have to pay anyone? Some guys on there that were super popular made almost no money on merch and barely any on licensing (which I assume is video games and dvd sales?) All fudged accounting?

Also holy poo poo at the increase of nearly everyone from 1996 to 1997. Look at Sting for example - went from 70k to 900k and there are others that had even bigger jumps. Also why are some listed as having huge contracts but then had much less on the books? Many of those documents don't match up and I assume they weren't fabricated by a fan because they were taken from lawsuit paperwork?

All of it is fascinating to me for whatever reason.

WCW's merchandise business went from practically nothing to record levels after the nWo. The numbers they were doing in 97 and then 98 were insane, so the huge jumps actually happened.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The company was making so much money for a few years it would be weirder if people's salaries weren't increasing, especially top guys like Sting

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Even 50k seems extremely low for Hulk Hogan merch in 1997 because he had to be getting a large chunk of the NWO shirts and they had to have sold millions of those things - they were everywhere in my school at the time and I'm sure everyone else's.

Randaconda posted:

The company was making so much money for a few years it would be weirder if people's salaries weren't increasing, especially top guys like Sting

Of course, but jumping from 70k to 900k is a hellova raise for one of WCW's biggest guys pre-NWO. Good for them for cashing in - it's incredible how many people they had on the payroll at the time. These numbers probably don't include stuff like travel costs for flying the entire roster to events even if they weren't being used and poo poo like that. I think that bit was from the death of wcw book? I can't remember. We all know WCW burned through a metric poo poo ton of cash but when you see the numbers all broken down it's amazing.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 21, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Even 50k seems extremely low for Hulk Hogan merch in 1997 because he had to be getting a large chunk of the NWO shirts and they had to have sold millions of those things - they were everywhere in my school at the time and I'm sure everyone else's.
I'd bet a large percentage of nWo shirts in the wild were bootlegs.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

Nah, WCW sold insane amounts of nWo merchandise. The 1997 figures are crazy. Some of Hogan's stuff might be hidden by how he was paid through Time Warner?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember on one of Stone Cold's podcasts with Kevin Nash, Nash wagered that he probably only made a fraction with the NWO shirts compared to what Austin made with the 3:16 shirts, claiming that it was because WCW's royalty payments for merchandising were all weird and messed up. There's probably not much basis for this other than two mates having a slightly drunken chat, and the circumstances between the two are fairly different to begin with, but if you can't trust Big Sexy then who can you trust.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Austin and Nash shooting the poo poo for those two or three episodes was amazing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I remember on one of Stone Cold's podcasts with Kevin Nash, Nash wagered that he probably only made a fraction with the NWO shirts compared to what Austin made with the 3:16 shirts, claiming that it was because WCW's royalty payments for merchandising were all weird and messed up. There's probably not much basis for this other than two mates having a slightly drunken chat, and the circumstances between the two are fairly different to begin with, but if you can't trust Big Sexy then who can you trust.

Nash is frequently full of poo poo but WCW is the same company that once sent Chris Jericho a a cheque for $0.39, so he's probably right

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wasn't Jericho also the one who received a FedEx envelope with literally nothing in it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Wasn't Jericho also the one who received a FedEx envelope with literally nothing in it?

I might be conflating my story with yours. Either way, not good asset management.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Either way, not good asset management.
Insert your own Goldberg joke

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

As honest as Nash is about how he did everything he could in WCW to weasel his way into more money when he's on podcasts and shows talking about it I doubt he'd lie about WCW merch payouts being poo poo. If the figures in that chart are true it looks like almost everyone got hosed on merch.

One even had -1 dollar implying that they had actually lost money on their own merch somehow. None of the merch figures look realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Endless Mike posted:

Weirdly enough, I think they were mostly legit. A lot of the logo press transfer shops were out of business at this point so the infrastructure just wasn't there yet. It wouldn't be until early 2000s when the direct to garment printing became an option. Nowadays, bootlegging show merch is decent money with minimal risks, unless you're the weirdo still selling poo poo out of the back of your car.