Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Agrikk posted:

Sorry to get pedantic but I loving hate the term “resource” when referring to employees. Not that we are special snowflakes but the term resource implies some kind of nameless fungible asset. We bitch in these threads about how “if it has a cord it’s ITs’ problem” and calling ourselves resources does nothing to dissuade that.

IT person
IT knowledge expert
IT employee
Subject matter expert
Guru
take it up with Human Resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

take it up with Human Resources
For this reason, I actually sort of like HR's old name, "personnel," better.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Your employees are a precious resource.

Exploit them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Sorry to get pedantic but I loving hate the term “resource” when referring to employees. Not that we are special snowflakes but the term resource implies some kind of nameless fungible asset. We bitch in these threads about how “if it has a cord it’s ITs’ problem” and calling ourselves resources does nothing to dissuade that.

IT person
IT knowledge expert
IT employee
Subject matter expert
Guru

I actually typed IT guy but went back and deleted that because yeah. I'm not going to use person because then I'm just going to have to correct that habit in 10 years when we're all replaced by robots.

I totally get what you're saying.

But resource is a broad term and an employee is under that umbrella.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I had a colleague ask me about my vacation next month. If it was approved, and if I could reschedule.

I'm still laughing.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Did they say why they wanted you to reschedule? Was it so they could go instead? I just want to know how hard to laugh at them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm used to being interrupted because a professor issue is a literal building burning down situation, but it's always something simple like "they didn't loving plug in the HDMI cable all the way". Then again, when I'm caught in a bind I either give them a quick time estimate or ask one of my other colleagues to assist.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aunt Beth posted:

For this reason, I actually sort of like HR's old name, "personnel," better.

Here they rebranded HR into People & Culture. But I still get referred to as a resource sometimes and I still get ignored when I tell people to not do that.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
They wanted someone from IT to be on standby for an event.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Agrikk posted:

IT person
IT knowledge expert
IT employee
Subject matter expert
Guru

DRI
Directly Responsible Individual

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Human Leverages.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sefal posted:

That’s a solid lol yea

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

IT person
IT knowledge expert
IT employee
Subject matter expert
Guru

remember, ie is in management, so you can't expect him to see employees as people

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Agrikk posted:

That's a "thank you for your time" red flag in phone interviews for me anymore. Last time it came up I hoped out of the in-person in about 5 minutes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

remember, ie is in management, so you can't expect him to see employees as people

Workers of the world unite!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sefal posted:

I'm not going to laugh at this, because if I do, I may never, EVER stop.

On a different note: I'm now on a level with powershell where I can figure out what the commands I need are vaguely, and if someone else's script will actually do what I need it to rather than being "uh...maybe?". This is going to make life very slightly easier.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Got a theme song for all you web developers out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCor40mWZlg

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bunni-kat posted:

I'm not going to laugh at this, because if I do, I may never, EVER stop.

On a different note: I'm now on a level with powershell where I can figure out what the commands I need are vaguely, and if someone else's script will actually do what I need it to rather than being "uh...maybe?". This is going to make life very slightly easier.

The fun thing about powershell is when Microsofts documentation on commands is out of date/wrong and you have to use tab completion and fuckery just to figure out correct commands.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

:cheeky:

I'm in DSA and am fairly active in my chapter, spending a bunch of my time there. I'm also assisting in getting an IWW tech workers branch going in my city, although I am not eligible to join. Like I've said in the thread before, I've managed IT folks for most of my career. Right now I manage a grand total of 1 person, which was one of the reasons I took this position. I'm not going to type up some manifesto in response to a joke post, but I think I'm a pretty good boss and I spend most of my time fighting management on behalf of my department, employees who work for me, or other employees.

mllaneza posted:

That's a "thank you for your time" red flag in phone interviews for me anymore. Last time it came up I hoped out of the in-person in about 5 minutes.

Is that really a huge red flag? I thank people for their time constantly, because I genuinely appreciate them spending the time and effort to apply to and interview for a position. I know it's a stressful, time consuming experience that you don't get paid for.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Bunni-kat posted:

Remember that powershell is just a program. Start hitting buttons until you find what your want to do. Two tips:

1. "man noun" gets you all the commands with that noun in the name or synopsis. So something like "man user" lists out all the commands you have installed with "user" in the name. Drill down from there. "Man noun -full" will get you more information than you'll know what to do with.

2. "get" is the default verb, and can be left off for simple commands. If you just have the full noun with no verb, "get" is assumed.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Wizard of the Deep posted:

2. "get" is the default verb, and can be left off for simple commands. If you just have the full noun with no verb, "get" is assumed.

That's wild. Is it documented anywhere?

Also, this isn't necessarily a good habit to get into if anyone else will be reading your scripts.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Internet Explorer posted:

Is that really a huge red flag? I thank people for their time constantly, because I genuinely appreciate them spending the time and effort to apply to and interview for a position. I know it's a stressful, time consuming experience that you don't get paid for.

I think mllaneza means that people referring to humans as 'resources' is something that causes him to say 'thank you for your time' because he's done with them, not that 'thank you for your time' bothers him.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It is never too late to get-help

Seriously though, Give the "powershell in a month of lunches" book a read. It's really good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

I think mllaneza means that people referring to humans as 'resources' is something that causes him to say 'thank you for your time' because he's done with them, not that 'thank you for your time' bothers him.

You're right, sorry. I really should stop posting until I'm more awake.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

I am in management and avoid any kind of dehumanizing term. I avoid resource, staff, user, etc.. they are people, customers, coworkers, and at the very worst, end-user, but never user by itself.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

My employer loves surveys. Today we got one with a lot of hard hitting questions. Questions that if you were candid at all would not be good for you. Every person in the company got a unique link to take the survey.

The survey is completely confidential! :allbuttons:

I never fill these out. I'm the only IT guy in my area, and the first 2 questions are what department do you work in, and what office do you work in. 3rd party supposedly keeps it confidential, but nope, not going to risk it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sickening posted:

My employer loves surveys. Today we got one with a lot of hard hitting questions. Questions that if you were candid at all would not be good for you. Every person in the company got a unique link to take the survey.

My last company did this same thing. Then after all the nerds complained that it was impossible to be confidential they super double promised they would have someone anonymize the data. They called a meeting and everything to tell us they promise it's confidential. Spent a lot of money on having 100 people in a room to argue that we should totally trust HR with this and they didn't understand why we thought it wasn't confidential in the first place.

Eventually they relented and made an anonymous survey after they got like 5 responses.

Then to no ones surprise, they disregarded the data because they didn't like the answers.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

adorai posted:

I am in management and avoid any kind of dehumanizing term. I avoid resource, staff, user, etc.. they are people, customers, coworkers, and at the very worst, end-user, but never user by itself.

As an individual contributor I can understand putting humans under the umbrella of resources when a catch-all is a relevant term - it doesn't bother me if someone says "this project needs more resources" because there's not enough budget allocated to buy all the needed equipment, the schedule is too short and there aren't enough people.

It bothers me more when it's used to refer only to people. When I hear "we should put another resource on this project" I know you don't mean another server or a pile of money or a row of rack space, you mean a person, so why not just refer to them using terms for people like "engineer" or "project manager" or just "person"?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Remember that powershell is just a program. Start hitting buttons until you find what your want to do. Two tips:

I'm aware. I just don't have enough time when I'm at work to really hunker down and build my own poo poo, so if I know "I need this command, and extra poo poo, and this output, this script I found will actually do that" rather than before when it was "holy poo poo that's a lot of gibberish."

Sefal posted:

Seriously though, Give the "powershell in a month of lunches" book a read. It's really good.

Own it. It's just hard to do the exercises when you only have a production domain to test AD poo poo in, which is where 90% of my scripts are used.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's a lot easier to fire a "resource" than it is an actual human being.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I don’t care at all about being labeled as a resource. Resources are valuable. They are limited. If I’m a resource then you understand that a) you need me, b) I come with a price tag and c) you can’t use me up.

In general this thread is pretty mercenary about how it views career advancement. Got an offer for a job with better pay and benefits? Take it! Old job counters? gently caress em, if they really valued you they should have given you a raise earlier. You don’t owe them anything. Would anyone’s opinion on that change if the old employer called them it knowledge experts and the new one called them resources?

I’m most wary of companies that say they’re like a family. If you’ve ever worked with an actual family it’s loving terrible.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Internet Explorer posted:

I meant referring to people as resources is the red flag, and "thank you for your time" in the "I have decided to pursue other opportunities" sense.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, sorry, reading is fundamental.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Also, this isn't necessarily a good habit to get into if anyone else will be reading your scripts.

Always tab complete everything out to the full command/flag when making scripts.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I also like to use #Region (explain in short what this part does)
#Region end

Keeps it nice and tidy. And makes it easy for me to decipher what the hell I was doing and easier for other people to read it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector_666 posted:

Always tab complete everything out to the full command/flag when making scripts.

Yep! I'd rather be a little more explicit with my flags, even if it takes an extra few seconds.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Sickening posted:

Last time I answered one of these "anonymous" surveys honestly my boss went from pleasant to hostile and my employment there didn't last long. Lied through my teeth on every subsequent one after.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I always assume those a trick.

Now when the cafeteria sends it surveys, I give it to them with both barrels. They haven’t sent out one in over a year, probably because they finally woke up and realized they’re aggressively poo poo and always will be anyway, so why waste their time?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Jeffery Snover talked about it last year at Ignite.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Oh, it’s a terrible habit. It’s just so cool and niche I can’t help sharing it. And it’s more for quick “I need to find X for Y right now.”

I have a little snippets file for one-liners that are useful, and VS Code hates every line of it. Some lines more than once :D

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t care at all about being labeled as a resource. Resources are valuable. They are limited. If I’m a resource then you understand that a) you need me, b) I come with a price tag and c) you can’t use me up.

In general this thread is pretty mercenary about how it views career advancement. Got an offer for a job with better pay and benefits? Take it! Old job counters? gently caress em, if they really valued you they should have given you a raise earlier. You don’t owe them anything. Would anyone’s opinion on that change if the old employer called them it knowledge experts and the new one called them resources?

I’m most wary of companies that say they’re like a family. If you’ve ever worked with an actual family it’s loving terrible.

"We're like a family!" is code for "We expect you to live here and obey the hierarchy at all times. Your loyalty is an absolute requirement at all times, though our loyalty to you extends only to providing you the privilege of existing in this organization. Vertical promotions will be available when senior members die off, no sooner."