Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rust Martialis posted:

I once was set up on a blind date with a female engineer from Lebanon, who swore that Israel had used nuclear weapons in the 1982 invasion, that she had seen the explosions and mushroom clouds with her own eyes as a girl. My response was if she had looked directly at a nuclear explosion she would be blind, and that any large explosion will produce a mushroom cloud. She wasn't changing her mind... short date.

engineers are always like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think Sadr is going to have the seats he needs to pull it off, but it looks like he's trying to form an Iran free majority coalition and deal a major blow to their influence right from the get go.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/996367341968609281?s=20

The message seems to be pretty blatantly "everyone but hashd and Maliki, get on board." Like I said, the numbers are tight, but if it happens it'd be such an amazing moment for Iraq.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Iraqi Council of Representatives seems amazingly fragmented even for a parliamentary system. I mean 16% of the last session was independents.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
shoe throwing guy is now in Iraqi parliament?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Celexi posted:

shoe throwing guy is now in Iraqi parliament?

Why not? He was a shoe-in. :v:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Ah... if he can cobble together a political career sole-ly from that...

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm starting to think the Trump Administration doesn't like Iran very much:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/996405306526756864

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Mozi posted:

Ah... if he can cobble together a political career sole-ly from that...

Let's just hope he starts on the right foot.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Gen. Ripper posted:

Let's just hope he starts on the right foot.

Not going to lie. He was the sole reason I followed the elections.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Talk about pulling yourself up by the bootstraps.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Will he toe the party line, or will he step out of it?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I hope he's a strait-laced individual who won't clog up the parliamentary process just to sock it to his rivals

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

FAUXTON posted:

engineers are always like this

I'm an engineering physics major. I also know Bruce Salem, and a professor at the University of Ediacara. So not all.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

I hope he's a strait-laced individual who won't clog up the parliamentary process just to sock it to his rivals

Those rivals may try to boot him out of parliament, he'd need to stand firm.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sinteres posted:

I'm starting to think the Trump Administration doesn't like Iran very much:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/996405306526756864

I mean... they're probably not wrong?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean, at best they're technically right that he probably skims some money to Hezbollah but...that's mainly just a financial crime more than anything?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

They are correct that the term terrorist is meaningless.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, at best they're technically right that he probably skims some money to Hezbollah but...that's mainly just a financial crime more than anything?

I mean Hezbollah is pretty unambiguously a terrorist organization, albeit one that's also a political party. It makes sense to label financiers of terrorist organizations terrorists to me, treat them with the same legal status and prejudice (i.e. jdams)

I'm not actually suggesting we bomb the head of Iran's central bank mind you. But I'd argue that the label is hardly inappropriate.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 15, 2018

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean Hezbollah is pretty unambiguously a terrorist organization, albeit one that's also a political party. It makes sense to label financiers of terrorist organizations terrorists to me, treat them with the same legal status and prejudice (i.e. jdams)

I'm not actually suggesting we bomb the head of Iran's central bank mind you. But I'd argue that the label is hardly inappropriate.

So a terrorist nation is allowed to exist and run amok?
Wouldn't someone bomb them for their terrorism?

It the foreign policy of a nation, not terrorism.

Calling anything you don't like terrorism is bullshit and devalues the word. In addition to the word being meaningless and only useful for describing guys you don't like.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Iron Rose posted:

if you can label entire political parties inherently terrorist than we should have bombed like, most countries including our own a bunch

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Terrorism is a tactic, and those utilizing the tactic are terrorists, but otherwise it is a meaningless signifier to otherize Muslims. If Hezbollah is a terrorist organization, so is the freedom caucus.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Terrorism is a tactic, and those utilizing the tactic are terrorists, but otherwise it is a meaningless signifier to otherize Muslims. If Hezbollah is a terrorist organization, so is the freedom caucus.

What? Hezbollah has definitely carried out terrorist attacks against civilian targets, even if they seem to have shifted into an increasingly professional military force in recent years.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hezbollah is a designated foreign terrorist organization that has continued to participate in mass human rights violations in Syria, and uploaded pictures of volcano rocket systems, the same type used in the Ghouta attack, prior to it, on their own social media. It doesn't really get much more cut and dried than that, sorry.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 15, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
good thing we set that standard nice and clear when we punished Sinn Fein for the actions of the IRA

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sinteres posted:

What? Hezbollah has definitely carried out terrorist attacks against civilian targets, even if they seem to have shifted into an increasingly professional military force in recent years.

That’s the opposite of the point he’s making.

Consider some of the people that the House Freedom Caucus has backed and lent financial support to.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Seems to me you're advocating to punish the victims of the Madaya siege who dealt with a horrible famine at the hands of Hezbollah, rather than Hezbollah itself. Tell me more about standards.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

That’s the opposite of the point he’s making.

Consider some of the people that the House Freedom Caucus has backed and lent financial support to.

He didn't say if the Iranians financing Hezbollah are terrorists the HFC are too, he said if Hezbollah are terrorists the HFC are too.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Volkerball posted:

Seems to me you're advocating to punish the victims of the Madaya siege who dealt with a horrible famine at the hands of Hezbollah, rather than Hezbollah itself. Tell me more about standards.

Hezbollah has clowned your country and Israel repeatedly which is why they are such a pariah. Also "Hezbollah" is usually synonymous with "Lebanon" , the country that America will hate forever because they won't cave to their pressure (or the pressure of Israel, The Saudis, or anyone else) and also blew up their gay barracks in 1983.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Frond posted:

Hezbollah has clowned your country and Israel repeatedly which is why they are such a pariah. Also "Hezbollah" is usually synonymous with "Lebanon" , the country that America will hate forever because they won't cave to their pressure (or the pressure of Israel, The Saudis, or anyone else) and also blew up their gay barracks in 1983.

Wow, you mean a group that killed dozens of US troops isn't liked by the US? No poo poo. Israel got poo poo on in 2006 because they thought they were doing a normal clean-up of a ghetto and ran into actual trained and supplied soldiers.

Lebanon is such a poo poo country they can't even control their southern half (No fair bringing up the American south. They tried that poo poo once already.)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pro starcraft loser posted:

Wow, you mean a group that killed dozens of US troops isn't liked by the US? No poo poo.

lol about that... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hey, that makes me mad too because I'm not a hypocrite.

I still have no idea how that was brushed aside so easily. "Oh no, its cool, they didn't mean it....on any of the strafes".

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Frond posted:

Lebanon is the model of strength and unity.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Frond posted:

Also "Hezbollah" is usually synonymous with "Lebanon" ,

An organization specifically connected with one of three large ethno-religious groups of Lebanon is somehow synonymous with Lebanon now apparently.

This is like saying Sinn Fein is usually synonymous with Northern Ireland.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Hey, dehumanize who you want, but ICE is currently kidnapping children to spread awareness of their political cause. The whole black bagging kids and losing them to slave traders thing was their idea. I don't think they utilize terror tactics more than comparable political entities enough for "terrorist group" to be a meaningful label.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Grape posted:

An organization specifically connected with one of three large ethno-religious groups of Lebanon is somehow synonymous with Lebanon now apparently.

This is like saying Sinn Fein is usually synonymous with Northern Ireland.

It wasn't me that said it, it was the Israelis. 2006 is an example of an entire country getting punished because one country didn't like a political organization that was based in it.

Say whatever you want about Emile Lahoud but him telling the Neocons to gently caress off and shove their military aid up their rear end post-2006 invasion was pretty cool.

Volkerball posted:

Lebanon is the model of strength and unity.

:salt: It's been like 36 years and you guys are still going on about some hostages and the barrack bombing. Get over it already.

Frond fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 16, 2018

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Hey, dehumanize who you want, but ICE is currently kidnapping children to spread awareness of their political cause. The whole black bagging kids and losing them to slave traders thing was their idea. I don't think they utilize terror tactics more than comparable political entities enough for "terrorist group" to be a meaningful label.

Can I read about this please? cos drat...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Frond posted:

:salt: It's been like 36 years and you guys are still going on about some hostages and the barrack bombing. Get over it already.

Lmao I don't care about any of that poo poo. But if you want to fight, hell, at least our list of presidents isn't littered with N/A all through it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Volkerball posted:

Lmao I don't care about any of that poo poo. But if you want to fight, hell, at least our list of presidents isn't littered with N/A all through it.

It's also got George W. Bush and Donald Trump in it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

New OPCW-FFM report on chemical attacks in Syria, this one is focused on the February chlorine attack in Saraqib:
https://www.opcw.org/fileadmin/OPCW/S_series/2018/en/s-1626-2018_e_.pdf

Did a little Twitter thread on it with some of the more interesting parts:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/996664705908379648

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/996669961853644801

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/996672818942300160

So it looks like the Syrian government might have been including a bit of Sarin in their chlorine attacks. Keep in mind western governments have said chlorine and sarin were used in the Douma attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

Sinteres posted:

So has the IDF. And the Sisi regime. And the Saudi and Bahraini monarchies. And the Turkish military, to name just a few(not to mention the US military.)