Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Dave posted:

Brass / Gold fixtures are definitely becoming a thing again. Have a blast: https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=gold kitchen pulls

Wow imagine spending money for that ugly poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Truly a new gilded age. Excellent.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I go to my fair share of brand new home models and luckily that hasn't caught on in new builds.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, they have a fridge with no attached freezer. They put it on a stand. Then they attach wheels to the chest freezer and slide it underneath the fridge.

This is undeniably the most efficient configuration, you see

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FCKGW posted:

I go to my fair share of brand new home models and luckily that hasn't caught on in new builds.

Better get on board now! You can beat the trends!

The sad thing is I liked the ones linked, the satin finish makes it more palatable especially against white. I’ll go watch some 90s TV to remind myself of my sins.

In other news, I may have convinced my wife to guild some spindles with gold leaf....

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Better get on board now! You can beat the trends!

In other news, I may have convinced my wife to guild some spindles with gold leaf....

We hit the pulls on our hemnes dresser with metallic gold spray paint 2 years ago. I guess this makes us trend setters. :smug:

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

If it's really extra storage, then isn't the insulation of the fridge overall partially compromised by having this big door section where the insulation is a lot thinner?

Its still an inch think at the thinnest point, better R-value than than glass or a LCD anyway

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Well, the hot water heater died this weekend while we were gone. Thankfully, the basement isn't finished and everything went straight into the drain.
The plumber was impressed, apparently the heater was made in 1996 - he hasn't seen one last that long in years.

Now, to replace the fridge that is also dying at a much slower rate.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
To contribute to fridge chat: I was at the hardware store and they had one of those with the glass-door-in-front designs and it doesn't seem that bad.

It basically lets you access door storage from the front, which is where most people keep things like drinks, condiments, etc. that are most commonly accessed. You don't really lose any fridge space because it doesn't take up any extra space, so I don't really see how it has any drawbacks. It's gimmicky but seems useful at first glance.

There was just a button on the handle that you push if you want to open just the small door so it also seemed really easy to use. I did notice that the door seemed thicker, which COULD be a drawback, but it still didn't seem like something that you'd regret getting.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I keep film, batteries, lube, and babydoll heads in door storage and I don’t need that to be the diorama that defines my life.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I keep film, batteries, lube, and babydoll heads in door storage and I don’t need that to be the diorama that defines my life.

I'm pretty sure it already does my dude.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wait wait wait wait wait.

You have to refrigerate lube???

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anya posted:

Well, the hot water heater died this weekend while we were gone. Thankfully, the basement isn't finished and everything went straight into the drain.
The plumber was impressed, apparently the heater was made in 1996 - he hasn't seen one last that long in years.

He should come to my house. The water heater has a 1986 installation/inspection sticker.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

totalnewbie posted:

To contribute to fridge chat: I was at the hardware store and they had one of those with the glass-door-in-front designs and it doesn't seem that bad.

It basically lets you access door storage from the front, which is where most people keep things like drinks, condiments, etc. that are most commonly accessed. You don't really lose any fridge space because it doesn't take up any extra space, so I don't really see how it has any drawbacks. It's gimmicky but seems useful at first glance.

There was just a button on the handle that you push if you want to open just the small door so it also seemed really easy to use. I did notice that the door seemed thicker, which COULD be a drawback, but it still didn't seem like something that you'd regret getting.

We have this "Door-in-Door" feature on our Samsung, but without the window. I don't think the lack of the window hurts, as its more insulated (most likely) and you can just quickly pop that door open. Overall been loving it so far. Let's just hope it lasts more than 6-7 years.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

And I thought ours from 1998 was old. It may or may not be in the process of dying - we ended up showering for a couple days at our house (which we haven't moved into yet) after the not-as-old water heater in our apartment crapped out, and the water was barely warm enough running it at 100% hot. Turning up the temp made it better, but still, I think its days are numbered.

Re: mower chat: agreed that mowing/blowing before 10 am on the weekend is horrible and makes me hate you too. Also agree that using leaf blowers too early in the morning should be legal grounds for murder. We just bought a reel mower (lawn is pretty small) and come fall, I'll be raking because gently caress leaf blowers.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

As a person whose kid gets up at 7:30 every morning and goes to bed at 7:30 every night, I'd much rather you do your yardwork in the morning than the evening. My neighbor and I mow at 9AM every Saturday like clockwork. He has young kids, too, so we know what's up.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Queen Victorian posted:

Re: mower chat: agreed that mowing/blowing before 10 am on the weekend is horrible and makes me hate you too. Also agree that using leaf blowers too early in the morning should be legal grounds for murder. We just bought a reel mower (lawn is pretty small) and come fall, I'll be raking because gently caress leaf blowers.

Yard work starts at 8 AM my dude. If you want to sleep in like a degenerate get yourself a white noise machine. Otherwise we've got kids, we're up for the day and I don't want to die of heat stroke running around in the yard.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mowing is for mornings. I do it even earlier now as revenge for my neighbors' four (FOUR) Chihuahua's who never shut the gently caress up.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Mowing is for mornings. I do it even earlier now as revenge for my neighbors' four (FOUR) Chihuahua's who never shut the gently caress up.

We're a two chihuahua family and they both have SEVERE dog aggression and both sides of neighbors have big dogs that my dogs HATE so I guess what I'm trying to say is

OLE!

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yard work starts at 8 AM my dude. If you want to sleep in like a degenerate get yourself a white noise machine. Otherwise we've got kids, we're up for the day and I don't want to die of heat stroke running around in the yard.

On weekdays, 8 AM start is dandy because I'm up and getting ready for work, as are most folks. 8 AM on weekends is not very nice, especially when we have the windows open and want to sleep/relax a bit longer. 9 AM on weekends is a bit more polite.

It was honestly the worst when I was working from home on weekdays. I currently live on a block full of rentals, so the landlords' yard crews would all come around mid morning and run several of their loud lovely machines at once. I'm not working from home now so I don't care anymore, but god it was awful. The multiple leaf blowers were always the loving worst.

Our new neighborhood isn't the sort of place with hired yard crews given the prevalence of lawns made out of overgrown dandelions, so we'll see how it goes on weekends. Yards aren't that big here so at least they wouldn't take too long to work on.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

MrYenko posted:

He should come to my house. The water heater has a 1986 installation/inspection sticker.

Hell yeah.

My parents house has its hot water heater in the crawl space, and there is a concrete wall between the upper and lower crawl space. There is a hole in the wall that is suspiciously similar to the exact circumference of their very very old water heater.

I wouldn't be shocked if, in order to get a new water heater they would have to destroy the floor and come in from above. (Edit: Or just expand the hole. Duh.)

They really should replace both their furnace and their water heater, both are at least 25 years old.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

do you live in a tropical jungle or something because it's never sweltering at 10am where I live

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Leperflesh posted:

do you live in a tropical jungle or something because it's never sweltering at 10am where I live

It's not uncommon to see 90+% humidity in the midst of a heat wave during the summer. Especially early in August, we call it "corn sweat." Dew points into the low 80's sometimes. Ugh.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's not uncommon to see 90+% humidity in the midst of a heat wave during the summer. Especially early in August, we call it "corn sweat." Dew points into the low 80's sometimes. Ugh.

That’s disgusting. I mostly get 100 by 11am of dry heat in the height of summer. It’s often in the 90s by 10am if we’re having a bad summer.

Higgy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 14, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

You have no idea how oppressive a dew point in the 80's is if you live somewhere with dry heat. 95 degree heat and a dew point in the low 80s produces a heat index of like 119F which is loving barbaric.

Dew points in the high 30's, like in Arizona, actually produce 100 degree temperatures with a heat index of 95. Basically high humidity and high heat in the upper Midwest is the devil's literal rear end in a top hat.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

119F is nothing. Y'all are weak.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Anybody have experience with epoxy coating a garage floor? Previous owner painted and it looks like poo poo, so I would like to do it. Professional wants $3/sqft, which my internet research says is reasonable, but it also feels like this should be firmly in the DIY category. Mediocre reviews for the Valpsar/Rustoleum/etc. kits also are complicating this decision.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Popero posted:

Anybody have experience with epoxy coating a garage floor? Previous owner painted and it looks like poo poo, so I would like to do it. Professional wants $3/sqft, which my internet research says is reasonable, but it also feels like this should be firmly in the DIY category. Mediocre reviews for the Valpsar/Rustoleum/etc. kits also are complicating this decision.

The coating application is the easy part. Prepping the floor is miserable and not doing so properly will lead to early failure.

Id' gladly give someone $3/sq ft. to take off old paint and properly clean a slab before application.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Mowing at 8am on a weekend makes you an rear end in a top hat, sorry but it's true. You may as well embrace it

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Mowing at 8am on a weekend makes you an rear end in a top hat, sorry but it's true. You may as well embrace it

I’d agree if you exclusively lived next to college apartments. Otherwise buckle up buttercup 8 is not early.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Dave posted:

I’d agree if you exclusively lived next to college apartments. Otherwise buckle up buttercup 8 is not early.

It's true so long as you have neighbors at all. Lawnmowers are loud, whether you're asleep or not it's annoying to listen to loud machinery that early. I wouldn't want to hear it at 7pm, either. Do whatever you want for 10 to 4 though

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

It's true so long as you have neighbors at all. Lawnmowers are loud, whether you're asleep or not it's annoying to listen to loud machinery that early. I wouldn't want to hear it at 7pm, either. Do whatever you want for 10 to 4 though

This sort of thing is one reason HOA's get a bad rap - a bunch of subjective rules on when you can and cannot do things made by the intersection of everyone's individual complaints in an attempt to make a uniform neighborhood. Your city likely has a noise ordinance. If you dislike it, talk to the city or live in the countryside. Ours you can rock n roll 07:00 - 20:00 M-Sat, Sun is 09:00 - 20:00. Everyone has various bitches and moans about their neighbors, but you can also go talk to them. I try to be courteous, but if I need to mow my lawn and blow my driveway at 7am I'm not going to sweat it too much, no one works nights around me, though I will try to delay it to 8 or 9am.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nah I think that calling them assholes is about as far as I'd be willing to take things

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Lost a LOT of shingles from two windstorms this past winter. Lucky for us, they don't even make this particular type of shingle anymore apparently. Insurance company just approved $13,000 for a new roof among other repairs! All for a 1k deductible!! IS THIS WHAT WINNING THE LOTTERY IS LIKE

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

railroad terror posted:

Lost a LOT of shingles from two windstorms this past winter. Lucky for us, they don't even make this particular type of shingle anymore apparently. Insurance company just approved $13,000 for a new roof among other repairs! All for a 1k deductible!! IS THIS WHAT WINNING THE LOTTERY IS LIKE

Don’t pop the champagne until the work’s over my friend. Get ready to meet a few weird contractors until you settle on one. Then deal with the upsells, the coordination, and the inconveniences. Eventually you’ll be happy but then you’ll find a part of a shingle and a nail when you’re doing yard work, three years later.

Do you have code update coverage? Will the insurance pay for new gutters?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

railroad terror posted:

Most folks here seem to wait for a hailstorm and just put in their claim right after. Seems to work most of the time.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

StormDrain posted:

Don’t pop the champagne until the work’s over my friend. Get ready to meet a few weird contractors until you settle on one. Then deal with the upsells, the coordination, and the inconveniences. Eventually you’ll be happy but then you’ll find a part of a shingle and a nail when you’re doing yard work, three years later.

Do you have code update coverage? Will the insurance pay for new gutters?

I'm rolling the dice on one particular contractor who's done work with my in-laws a lot in the past. Seems very legit -- so far at least. Part of the gutter was already damaged before, so some of that got included in the insurance.

I'm sure there will be headaches (there always is) but for now, I'm happy I can at least move on to getting a dang roof.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm building some patio furniture out of ground contact prime pressure treated 2x4s (hooray for blogs and youtube). My dad said I should wait a full year for the wood to dry out enough to stain it, is that true? Also, would exterior paint be acceptable? Do I need sealant in either case?

Help me, I'm a clueless baby.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

I'm building some patio furniture out of ground contact prime pressure treated 2x4s (hooray for blogs and youtube). My dad said I should wait a full year for the wood to dry out enough to stain it, is that true? Also, would exterior paint be acceptable? Do I need sealant in either case?

Help me, I'm a clueless baby.

I doubt you will need to wait a year. You can buy a cheap moisture meter and check it periodically until it gets down to the low teens in moisture content. Or you can just sprinkle some water on it on occasion and see how fast it absorbs. If you can keep it out of the rain, it should be dry enough to stain in a couple months.

I would stain instead of paint, but I guess it depends on what you are building and how much upkeep you want to do on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's going to be a sectional built from 2x4s, plus some side tables in the same style, and a lounger...plus eventually a prep station/cabinet for next to the grill. The only reason I asked about paint is then I could cover up the screws a bit better - I'm about done with the first section and I didn't countersink the screws, so most of them I won't be able to cover with wood filler. I've got a countersink set on the way and for the rest of them I'll correct that!

I'll probably just deal with the uglier section for now and decide after staining if I care enough to make a new one.