Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Thundarr posted:

About the only reason to deliberately turn Darkside off is during a very long intermission in a fight (like Byakko's touhou phase) so you can get some natural MP regeneration in before the fight starts again.

Otherwise, the only times it'll be off is if you just switched to DRK from another job or you hosed up real bad.

Slowly, over the span of months, through the power daily ldr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Failboattootoot posted:

Slowly, over the span of months, through the power daily ldr.

Also doing it when stuff is current helps. I got all my classes up to 50 in ARR via dungeons, FATE trains and St. Coinach leves (this was pre-roulette.)
In HW, dungeon roulettes and highest dungeons did pretty much all the work.
Same in SB although I had tons of sidequests to help things along too.

It's mostly just playtime and getting a level or two a day.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Another entry in "little FF14 touches no one will see":

If you ask Sisipu what a fisherman does, his dialog (at least at my level) is slightly different depending on if you are currently a fisher or not. Now I have to go and try that with all the other guildmasters.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Vermain posted:

What sort of new content would you like to see added aside from the normal patch cycle?

Don't answer this question it's a trap.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Alakaiser posted:

Self-loathing or masochism?

Masochism and it's not like all the other ranged classes don't have issues at high ping either.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ibblebibble posted:

Masochism and it's not like all the other classes don't have issues at high ping either.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Oh boy I just did a Shisui as WHM and the RDM was getting mad that THE HOLYTRAIN AIN'T GOT NO BRAKES and yelling at me to heal and stop doing dps because he kept casting vercure on the WAR. I politely informed him the only HP that mattered was the last and that I still had plenty of WHM tricks to keep everyone alive.

Then he informs the party he's taking mana shift off his bars because he's not going to help me dps when I should be only healing. I asked if he was okay and if he was having a bad day and he said he was just tired of trash healers. I can relate.

This was the dungeon run that made me feel like a real WHM! :unsmith: Seriously, I was one of Them, an Honest Healer when I started. I was scared of the pressure of healing, and having always mained tank classes in MMOs it took awhile to adjust to the meta of FF14 but now I'm the guy who tries to cast less than a dozen heals in a run. It rules.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
What are you guys' experience with running ACT for DPS parsing? I'm considering trying to it out. I know I can't use it to tell people they are bad, but I'm really only interested in finding out how my own damage compares to others.

Does it have any other uses than encounter logs and hunts?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You can set up audio triggers for boss mechanics if you want.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WrightOfWay posted:

You can set up audio triggers for boss mechanics if you want.

Go on

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's worth noting that if you use ACT to parse and then upload it to fflogs, the site will in many/most cases report your DPS as lower than ACT did. It's just due to using a different calculation applied to your numbers, but it can be disconcerting to get a parse that looks really good and then fflogs says "meh, it was ok".

If all you care about is using ACT to measure your personal improvement this will never come up though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks all. I really like the DRK lore and aesthetic so I'll be spending time with this job. (Still maining WHM though)

It has the best job quests, you're gonna have a fun time.

Trasson posted:

If you ask Sisipu what a fisherman does, his dialog (at least at my level) is slightly different depending on if you are currently a fisher or not. Now I have to go and try that with all the other guildmasters.

The little touches are one of the areas the game excels at honestly. From ARR to SB there are a bunch of parts of the game that feel like they're rewarding me for paying attention and playing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alkarl posted:

Oh boy I just did a Shisui as WHM and the RDM was getting mad that THE HOLYTRAIN AIN'T GOT NO BRAKES and yelling at me to heal and stop doing dps because he kept casting vercure on the WAR. I politely informed him the only HP that mattered was the last and that I still had plenty of WHM tricks to keep everyone alive.

Then he informs the party he's taking mana shift off his bars because he's not going to help me dps when I should be only healing. I asked if he was okay and if he was having a bad day and he said he was just tired of trash healers. I can relate.

This was the dungeon run that made me feel like a real WHM! :unsmith: Seriously, I was one of Them, an Honest Healer when I started. I was scared of the pressure of healing, and having always mained tank classes in MMOs it took awhile to adjust to the meta of FF14 but now I'm the guy who tries to cast less than a dozen heals in a run. It rules.

What an awful RDM. As RDM I revel in the opportunity to throw out a heal or two. Having also played some WHM being able to help a WHM holy spam would be an honour, particularly with how dull RDM AOE is.

I don't mana shift nearly as much as I should though. I'm always worried about my mana as RDM / not having lucid up after a death sucks, and I feel like any time I use lucid the game makes mechanics target me more :v:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Thundarr posted:

It's worth noting that if you use ACT to parse and then upload it to fflogs, the site will in many/most cases report your DPS as lower than ACT did. It's just due to using a different calculation applied to your numbers, but it can be disconcerting to get a parse that looks really good and then fflogs says "meh, it was ok".

If all you care about is using ACT to measure your personal improvement this will never come up though.

Well, I can't say I'll never use it for anything else, but for now I just want to see if I'm at least on par.

Boss triggers might be interesting as well. is it just sounds or can you get stuff like countdowns and enrage timers as well?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The best part of rdm is using manashift on a healer (or bard) who is low on MP midway through a fight because you know they are doing things right and you are making them Even Better. Plus you don't need that extra MP yourself unless people are dropping like flies or the fight lasts forever (in which case those guys don't deserve you).

Unfortunately it's uncommon for me to find people in dungeons who actually spend their MP.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thundarr posted:

Unfortunately it's uncommon for me to find people in dungeons who actually spend their MP.

:3:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You can't spend infinity but you can sure as hell try.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

just wanted to share that my group finally made it to god kefka's enrage, wheeeeeeeee

after forsaken 2 that fight seems to speed up, it's really weird. definitely doesn't feel like 10 entire minutes.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

Foxhound posted:

Well, I can't say I'll never use it for anything else, but for now I just want to see if I'm at least on par.

Boss triggers might be interesting as well. is it just sounds or can you get stuff like countdowns and enrage timers as well?

My understanding is that for boss triggers, you're catching the "Foo readies Move" bit in the battle log, but it's handy for if you have a mechanic that you need to be on the other side of the arena for.

I've just now tweaked my own ACT to tell me when I have certain abilities come off cooldown because I'm bad at using stuff on cooldown, so I'm sure there are ways to get a sort of timer for a boss enrage but I'm not really certain the best way to do it.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Trasson posted:

You can go back and ask all of the class trainers what your job is, and they'll respond with anything from "did you get kicked in the head" to "are you a disguised moogle pranking on me because I'll twist your head off". It's pretty great.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I've never delved too deeply into triggers beyond setting up a few text to speech macros to keep me from falling asleep and getting CLAMPED by Alt Right in the last raid phase, and some other stuff. Basically it just uses regex to find specific phrases in the battle log and can set off an audio cue based on that. You can either set a Text to Speech phrase, which is handy because it can use the regex to include a targeted player name, or any wav file you want of you want to get silly.

That's just the basic function and you'll need a couple of extra plugins to make that happen. Namely a sound output plugin for ACT. If you wanted to you could also use a virtual audio cable to loop sound out to a Discord channel for other people to hear too. Definitely check for some guides on this stuff.

Now, my wife uses it differently (she's clearing Godka weekly with her static, I stopped bothering after NED). You can straight up make an FFXIV version of deadly boss mods from WoW. I'm taking big bold text on the screen telling you what to do or who is targeted with what. I don't know what length that takes as far as effort goes, but it's really only going to be worth it in the very tippy top of the end game anyway and isn't at all necessary, and some might even think pretty poorly of it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rainuwastaken posted:

You can go back and ask all of the class trainers what your job is, and they'll respond with anything from "did you get kicked in the head" to "are you a disguised moogle pranking on me because I'll twist your head off". It's pretty great.

If you ask the dude at Castrum Velodyna what the deal with the place is and what he does there the dialogue changes depending on if you've started the beast tribe quests or not. :eyepop:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I got yelled at in a cut scene for being a healer and not healing in the cut scene. That was a nice touch.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I got yelled at in a cut scene for being a healer and not healing in the cut scene. That was a nice touch.

They really need to revisit those few end game instances in vanilla FF14 to be solo'd maybe with npc's. Not sure they can remove all the cut scenes but might be option too. I think those dungeons are always going to have annoyed new players though.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Draynar posted:

They really need to revisit those few end game instances in vanilla FF14 to be solo'd maybe with npc's. Not sure they can remove all the cut scenes but might be option too. I think those dungeons are always going to have annoyed new players though.

They're most likely talking about When the Reach is attacked. If you have a healer class leveled to 60, Krile tells you to get off your rear end and start healing the injured. Otherwise you just run to find someone who can. :ssh:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Draynar posted:

For those, the solution was to just make the cutscenes unskippable for everyone, for better or for worse. It does benefit new people who want to actually watch the scenes, aside from the issue of getting people to actually run the dungeons with them to begin with.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

World War Mammories posted:

just wanted to share that my group finally made it to god kefka's enrage, wheeeeeeeee

after forsaken 2 that fight seems to speed up, it's really weird. definitely doesn't feel like 10 entire minutes.

2nd Forsaken is the last brand new mechanic in the fight, since Forsaken 3 is just bringing back Clown mechanics so it's all stuff you've seen before at that point which helps to make it feel faster.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

rujasu posted:

For those, the solution was to just make the cutscenes unskippable for everyone, for better or for worse. It does benefit new people who want to actually watch the scenes, aside from the issue of getting people to actually run the dungeons with them to begin with.

The queue is definitely the worst part, but at least they really jacked up the rewards to compensate for forcing cutscenes.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

rujasu posted:

I just did The Ultimate Weapon for the first time on Friday and people run through it so quickly that new players don't get a chance to catch their breath. I ended up falling behind and almost didn't catch up in time for the bosses. The branching pathways make it easy to make one wrong turn and then you lose sight of the rest of the party. It was extremely frustrating.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Alkarl posted:

Just remind people that Holy is the best defensive skill in the game. A Hallowed Ground you can use every pack.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

saltylopez posted:

I just did The Ultimate Weapon for the first time on Friday and people run through it so quickly that new players don't get a chance to catch their breath. I ended up falling behind and almost didn't catch up in time for the bosses. The branching pathways make it easy to make one wrong turn and then you lose sight of the rest of the party. It was extremely frustrating.

Oh yeah, it has always been like that. It's still pretty awful for new people in terms of falling behind the train, but before, it was even worse because they would run ahead of you while you were in the cutscene.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It would be better if the cutscenes were actually entertaining instead of the usual verbose, lovely drivel.

New MSQ roulette, not even once.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

orcane posted:

It would be better if the cutscenes were actually entertaining instead of the usual verbose, lovely drivel.

New MSQ roulette, not even once.

MSQ roulette actually owns.

You get a gently caress ton of experience for doing it.

Praetorium is better than Castrum Meridianum. The cutscenes in CM are too short and too much of that dungeon is lovely mechanics. So much of CM is sitting around waiting for others to handle the mechanics. Prae is just great because the long cutscenes allow plenty of time to watch an episode of a TV show.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

MSQ roulette actually owns.

You get a gently caress ton of experience for doing it.

Praetorium is better than Castrum Meridianum. The cutscenes in CM are too short and too much of that dungeon is lovely mechanics. So much of CM is sitting around waiting for others to handle the mechanics. Prae is just great because the long cutscenes allow plenty of time to watch an episode of a TV show.

:thunk:

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
They're not wrong. You get like half a level for less than an hour of work and most of that is reading forums poo poo or watching TV.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Or you know you could just....log off and watch tv.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

But then I wouldn't be playing this video game I love!!!!

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Or you know you could just....log off and watch tv.

Or you know, I could be trying to level alt classes and that is the best exp once a day? You could also say that people could log off and watch TV instead of doing anything in this game.

KoB
May 1, 2009
If only you could get good rewards for fun things instead of suffering through bad things for the good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Colander Crotch posted:

Or you know, I could be trying to level alt classes and that is the best exp once a day? You could also say that people could log off and watch TV instead of doing anything in this game.

woah