Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Has anyone played around with Shalai, Voice of Plenty in Modern GWx? I haven't had the chance to do so yet but I've seen lots of deck in those colors running one or two, from regular GW Company to Chord to Saheeli Rai combo. Gonna try her in Chord as a way to protect the combo and another infinite mana sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Has anyone played around with Shalai, Voice of Plenty in Modern GWx? I haven't had the chance to do so yet but I've seen lots of deck in those colors running one or two, from regular GW Company to Chord to Saheeli Rai combo. Gonna try her in Chord as a way to protect the combo and another infinite mana sink.

She fits devoted druid decks like a glove. They're always interested in almost-playable midrange cards that contribute to the combo.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Just play eldrazi and you win.

Nah, that's boring. In testing the depths deck is consistently beating eldrazi anyway, definitely a reason for me to play it. That and getting to make lots of 20/20 tokens.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

C-Euro posted:

She’s been one of the more impactful cards in the Saheeli Evolution deck I’m playing. I also really like her in GW Devoted Company decks. She lines up very well against a lot of decks in the format due to her size (Bolt proof/can block a Mantis Rider - just be wary of Vial + Lieutenant), she helps alleviate flooding which is a real problem in all these mono-mana dork decks, and hexproofing you comes up quite a lot, and it’s often against decks that struggle to get rid of her.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

uninverted posted:

She fits devoted druid decks like a glove. They're always interested in almost-playable midrange cards that contribute to the combo.

DurdleDuck posted:

She’s been one of the more impactful cards in the Saheeli Evolution deck I’m playing. I also really like her in GW Devoted Company decks. She lines up very well against a lot of decks in the format due to her size (Bolt proof/can block a Mantis Rider - just be wary of Vial + Lieutenant), she helps alleviate flooding which is a real problem in all these mono-mana dork decks, and hexproofing you comes up quite a lot, and it’s often against decks that struggle to get rid of her.

Well drat, maybe I should pick up a second Shalai then. I have a singleton in the GW Company/Chord hybrid that I'm finishing up but the list I'm basing it on has a second copy in the sideboard.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Nah, that's boring. In testing the depths deck is consistently beating eldrazi anyway, definitely a reason for me to play it. That and getting to make lots of 20/20 tokens.

if the black eldrazi deck isn't SBing edict effects for that your testing group is bad.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

if the black eldrazi deck isn't SBing edict effects for that your testing group is bad.

Got a list for a black eldrazi deck? I'll suggest it for testing. What instant speed edict effects are there in modern worth playing in NBL? I think you may be dismissing how resilient a modern depths deck can be, in addition to specifically needing an instant speed edict to beat a fast marit lage.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

What instant speed edict effects are there in modern worth playing in NBL?

There aren't many, though I don't know much about black Eldrazi.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
TOURNAMENT REPORT FROM F2F OPEN

Deck: bogles

R1 vs ad naus
Win die roll
Win 2-1

G1: T0 leyline but I’m a turn too slow and I lose to lab man IN THE MAIN?!?

G2 T0 leyline, suit up a spiritdancer and swing 15 on T3

G3: I swing in for chip damage while only drawing creatures with a single rancor and hyena Umbra. Opponent only draws lands with several cantrips. But i win with 5 creatures and two enchantments on the board.

R2 vs mardu pyro
Lose die roll
Lose 1-2

G1 I don’t respect the possibility of a blood moon and I am thus punished

G2 T0 leyline into clock

G3 super tilting. Have the T0 leyline and two creatures, daybreak coronet, and seal of primordium. Need to draw a single aura and I win the game. There is a ten turn window where any aura wins me the game. 27 left in library. I draw zero auras and lose. *sad trombone*

R3 vs burn
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1 I start with a T0 leyline and opponent immediately scoops

G2 I keep a fine hand and suit up a Bogle and opponents hardcast Leyline of punishment dies nothing.

R4 vs grixis something
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

Both games I had T0 leyline with a clock and the only spells I saw from my opponent were serum visions and a lily the last hope. I think this match was 10 turns across both games.

R5 vs r/u blue moon/breachmrakul/kikitwin
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1 I put him on blue moon but I have t3 coronet and he doesn’t have the counter so I win

G2 opponent attacks with pestermite into my vigilance reach creature and it costs him the game.

R6 vs kci ironworks combo
Lose die roll
Lose 1-2

G1 I have a nut Aggro game and win on T4

G2 he destroys my stony silence and combos out

G3 he destroys my damping sphere and I am completely unable to draw auras for several turns

R7 vs ponza
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1 I get T2 blood Mooned lol

G2 early clock plus lifelink huge spirit dancer

G3 keep a 1 lander, opponent mulls to 5 and I am not immediately punished. Hurray suit up and evasive Bogle

R8 vs burn
Lose die roll
Lose 1-2

G1 keep an adequate 7 with no leyline but get burned out before I can swing for lethal

G2 keep a leyline hand but opponent has 2xgoblin guide into eidolon. Opponent eventually casts a swiftstspear while I am at 8 life which allows me to suit up a ledgewalker for exactly lethal while dropping myself to 2

G3 I keep a hand with spiritdancer 2 auras and leyline and then draw a Bogle, I need to fade exactly boros charm for a single turn and my opponent has the charm :/

All in all I felt like I made good play decisions. Bogles still feels really good in the meta. My one wish was to get paired against humans all day and even though it was all over the tournament I didn’t see it once.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

There aren't many, though I don't know much about black Eldrazi.

If Marit Lage is your target for this, Geth's Verdict is likely your best option here. I can't imagine Eldrazi wants their opponent to gain 20 life.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

If Marit Lage is your target for this, Geth's Verdict is likely your best option here. I can't imagine Eldrazi wants their opponent to gain 20 life.

Seems rough for eldrazi to cast being BB though. I suppose both an eldrazi list and a depths list are going to be running Urborg though. Most NBL eldrazi decks I've seen are basically just eldrazi winter decks with Jitte, or splash white for Thalia and maybe displacer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Counters Company/Devoted Druid crew- do you like the GW build or the Abzan build more? I've been working on the GW build because I've had that GW Company shell built for a little while. Meanwhile the Abzan version seems more all-in on the combo which might be better in certain cases, and I think the Abzan version has been around for longer. Thoughts on either?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Counters Company/Devoted Druid crew- do you like the GW build or the Abzan build more? I've been working on the GW build because I've had that GW Company shell built for a little while. Meanwhile the Abzan version seems more all-in on the combo which might be better in certain cases, and I think the Abzan version has been around for longer. Thoughts on either?

I like to play Abzan with hand disruption in the main instead of more combo pieces :shrug: (reason being it can buy time to CoCo for the combo in faster matchups and can fight against Jund/Humans combination of cheap disruption & removal)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

myDad posted:

I like to play Abzan with hand disruption in the main instead of more combo pieces :shrug: (reason being it can buy time to CoCo for the combo in faster matchups and can fight against Jund/Humans combination of cheap disruption & removal)

you mean like inquisition/thoughtseize? that sounds awful in your combo deck with 30 mana sources and a bunch of mopey creatures

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Which colors you want to play mostly comes down to what you want to do with the ~6 slots outside of the combo and the mandatory support cards (mana dorks, company, chord). You get knight of the reliquary and some tireless trackers for GW, the kitchen finks side combo for abzan, and reflector mage or spell queller if you want to get spicy with bant. The third color improves your sideboard pretty significantly, but GW gets a bunch of utility out of its lands.

If you want to beat interactive decks, play GW. If gaining infinite life is good, play abzan. If you want to bounce gurmag anglers with reflector mage or destroy the mirror with spell queller, play bant.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've had GW Company built for a little while and it's been alright, but I like the idea of having that shell while also making people ~respect the combo~ as it were. I only ask about Abzan because I have pretty much everything to swap to that build, though the Finks lifegain combo is maybe a little less appealing to me than Ballista or Rhonas. Unless saccing Finks over and over can somehow kill my opponent like by having Blood Artist in play.

uninverted posted:

and reflector mage or spell queller if you want to get spicy with bant.

I do have Quellers and Mages along with Bant lands, though I don't think I've seen a Bant Devoted Druid list before. Got one on-hand to share?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 15, 2018

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

you mean like inquisition/thoughtseize? that sounds awful in your combo deck with 30 mana sources and a bunch of mopey creatures

Lot of people run some number of tidehollow sculler main, which may be what he meant.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

If Marit Lage is your target, doesn't that mean we're playing Legacy and so Diabolic Edict is a strict upgrade to Geth's Vedict?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Tim Raines IRL posted:

If Marit Lage is your target, doesn't that mean we're playing Legacy and so Diabolic Edict is a strict upgrade to Geth's Vedict?

Discussing no banlist modern, since scg is having it as an Open at scgcon.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Discussing no banlist modern, since scg is having it as an Open at scgcon.

>.< I am good at following threads.

Thanks.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
If it's no banlist modern why aren't you playing hypergenesis?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Network42 posted:

Because that's boring! Also that is always the first thing people tend to jump on but it's weird, in testing hypergenesis isn't the flatout answer to the format. NBL is probably a bad format overall but since there's no hard lists for it, it's kinda open to brewing. If too many people are playing eldrazi, then HG is probably bad since it can't do much about a turn 1 chalice for 0. Also likely loses to twin/delver decks playing some numbers of spell pierce, which they all should be. IIRC when cardkingdom/mox house did their events, usually it was delver/pyro clamp decks that did very well, probably because of how much interaction they played. I'm gunning for that angle by playing a significant amount of discard. Usually the first things I see people think of with NBL is hypergenesis, eldrazi, infect, affinity, and delver.

The real answer is that I want to use my dark depths and deathrite shamans though, since legacy is super dead around here.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Network42 posted:

It's surprisingly not the most broken thing out there; from previous NBL Modern reports, Eldrazi and Affinity both get pretty insane when you return Eye of Ugin and artifact lands, as is Storm with Ponder/Preordain/GProbe.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lot of people run some number of tidehollow sculler main, which may be what he meant.

that's a little better since it's a hit off coco but it still seems awful against jund. playing anything that doesn't contribute to comboing off or out valuing your opponent is going to make you more vulnerable to getting picked apart by discard and removal. humans was the other deck mentioned but that seems awkward as well.

game one you should just be focusing on executing the combo as quickly and as resiliently as possible (at least in counters company where your combo pieces suck real bad on their own, the other company decks are a lot better at playing a fair game). save the actual interaction for post-board when your opponent will be better positioned to stop your plan A.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

little munchkin posted:

Yeah, I replaced all the dorks with cheap disruption & Commune with Nature. It trades speed in already good matchups for reliability in bad matchups. The problem I had with GWx CoCo was similar to Ad Nauseam where matchups are too lopsided without meaningful interaction on my part. It works for me. :shrug:

Mainly I was tired of losing to the Jund & Humans players at my shop (also had Fatal Push in the board for Meddling Mage/Kitesail Freebooter).

myDad fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 15, 2018

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

that's a little better since it's a hit off coco but it still seems awful against jund. playing anything that doesn't contribute to comboing off or out valuing your opponent is going to make you more vulnerable to getting picked apart by discard and removal. humans was the other deck mentioned but that seems awkward as well.

game one you should just be focusing on executing the combo as quickly and as resiliently as possible (at least in counters company where your combo pieces suck real bad on their own, the other company decks are a lot better at playing a fair game). save the actual interaction for post-board when your opponent will be better positioned to stop your plan A.

Sculler is pretty bad against jund but in my experience abzan company is good overall vs jund anyway so it's not a big loss. When I played company it usually had too many resilient creatures for jund to be effective against. I could see sculler being useful in the main for other bad matchups. Abzan company is SUPER dependent on the metagame, because those flex spots in the deck are constantly changing based on how the metagame is moving around. Cutting a bunch of mana dorks for hand disruption seems crazy to me though, you need at least 27 creatures for coco to be a consistently effective hit iirc.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Sculler is pretty bad against jund but in my experience abzan company is good overall vs jund anyway so it's not a big loss. When I played company it usually had too many resilient creatures for jund to be effective against. I could see sculler being useful in the main for other bad matchups. Abzan company is SUPER dependent on the metagame, because those flex spots in the deck are constantly changing based on how the metagame is moving around. Cutting a bunch of mana dorks for hand disruption seems crazy to me though, you need at least 27 creatures for coco to be a consistently effective hit iirc.

Only time CoCo into a mana dork didn't feel bad was when I was GW with Voice of Resurgence. In the all-in combo version it may as well be a miss. The Abzan version I've got sleeved up has a bunch of E-Wits to hit so that it can dig for the combo more reliably with a Chord in the yard or repeated CoCos. I iterated on GW a bunch when Vizier first arrived, then tried the stock Abzan list with Viscera Seer & Finks for a while. Agreed 100% on it being meta-dependent, these fast combo decks have to move with the tide and the concessions I made with the resurgence of Jund are pretty loose.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Has anyone tried Shoal Infect or Clamp/Glimpse Elves? Those are the first things that come to mind for me

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

Has anyone tried Shoal Infect or Clamp/Glimpse Elves? Those are the first things that come to mind for me

Shoal Infect is probably pretty good but maybe still fragile. We haven't gotten to test that yet. My buddy that is normally an elves player in modern was messing with noban elves but didn't like it well enough for some reason, although I think he just wanted to try something different so he's working on a twin list. Going to play some more tonight at modern night, one buddy is testing a noban death shadow list I'm curious about.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Skullclamp Affinity was banned for a reason. I would not be surprised if it was up there with Eldrazi and whatever else.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I do have Quellers and Mages along with Bant lands, though I don't think I've seen a Bant Devoted Druid list before. Got one on-hand to share?

Sure, here's what I'm currently playing. The second walking ballista could definitely be a Shalai. Jace in the sideboard is totally optional; Nissa, Steward of Elements is almost as good for 1/20th of the price

Main
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
4 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
4 Devoted Druid
3 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Eternal Witness
4 Flooded Strand
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Horizon Canopy
2 Misty Rainforest
4 Noble Hierarch
1 Plains
4 Reflector Mage
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Temple Garden
3 Vizier of Remedies
2 Walking Ballista
4 Windswept Heath

Sideboard
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
2 Stony Silence
1 Vendilion Clique

uninverted fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 16, 2018

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I hope all of you playing NBL modern are playing 4x Mental Misstep.

NBL modern sounds so sweet.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I hope all of you playing NBL modern are playing 4x Mental Misstep.

NBL modern sounds so sweet.

It’d obviously become a degenerate mess but the brewing possibilities are a blast. The aforementioned grixis death’s shadow is fun to ponder especially since there was a window when the current deck basically could’ve had gprobe but was undiscovered. Add in better cantrips, misstep, delver and drat does that sound fun.

In other words, who has an underground sea they’d like to give me??

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah i'd probably run Jeskai Ascendancy combo if i get access to probe, preordain, ponder, misstep and treasure cruise in NBL modern

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

yeah i'd probably run Jeskai Ascendancy combo if i get access to probe, preordain, ponder, misstep and treasure cruise in NBL modern

I didn't think about that but yeah it would be pretty good. Probably cheap to build too.

Tested against the death's shadow deck last night, went in my favor most games. It's basically a sultai shadow deck, so shadow, DRS, a few goyfs, and then cantrips, probe, misstep, thoughtseize, and a few treasure cruises. Seemed like fun but still died to a 20/20 most of the time, a couple games I won off of bob/DRS. Chrome mox is a good card. 2 mana spells seems very good in NBL actually, since lots of decks have misstep or chalice, but I'm still running 7 maindeck discard between tseize and IoK. Abrupt decay is massively overperforming so far.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is this deck worth spending $30 on Monastery Mentors? I've been on a URx Spells kick lately and writing down every list I find that looks semi-playable...
Deck: Jeskai Tokens

//Lands
1 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Spirebluff Canal
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls

//Spells
3 Cryptic Command
1 Electrolyze
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Logic Knot
1 Mana Leak
4 Opt
4 Path to Exile
4 Remand
1 Search for Azcanta
4 Serum Visions
1 Spell Snare

//Creatures
3 Monastery Mentor
3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Crumble to Dust
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Izzet Staticaster
2 Lightning Helix
1 Negate
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Wear // Tear

Display deck statistics

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Is this deck worth spending $30 on Monastery Mentors? I've been on a URx Spells kick lately and writing down every list I find that looks semi-playable...

I'm not sure but I'd be curious to find out. I was thinking about mentors yesterday when I was sleeving up UWR control and also looked at a dumb esper list with seeker of the ways in it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm guessing that there are Chalice decks, Clamp decks, and Cruise decks in NBL in terms of viability? I'm guessing that the best deck will actually just be Dead Guy Ale with some Chrome Moxes for acceleration and Chalice. Like, everybody is trying to do broken things so here's a Chalice/Thalia/Damping Sphere. Either that or some Blood Moon variant that does a similar thing.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 19, 2018

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

C-Euro posted:

Is this deck worth spending $30 on Monastery Mentors?

They're pretty likely to maintain their value, so why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I'm not sure but I'd be curious to find out. I was thinking about mentors yesterday when I was sleeving up UWR control and also looked at a dumb esper list with seeker of the ways in it.

Played a couple of quick matches with it on xMage. It sucks if you can't stick a token generator obviously, but if you get one down then the game can swing in your favor pretty quickly. My last game I went from "I'm super-dead" to "oh hey I won" in three turns by Jacestorming into a Pyromancer and Mentor and then chaining a bunch of cantrips together.