Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Covok posted:

Samuel J Jackson is a comic fan, but, did you know?...

Same sam, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm not sure how, but I managed to pull off an A on this 20 page research paper I wrote on orientalist trends in Middle Eastern depictions in American comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey has anyone ever attended a WALKER/STALKER con? Is it a horror con or just a lovely, unofficial Walking Dead con?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Covok posted:

What's kite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeNzAhYXlbY

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

I'm not sure how, but I managed to pull off an A on this 20 page research paper I wrote on orientalist trends in Middle Eastern depictions in American comics.

Did you mention Khandaq a bunch of times?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Did you mention Khandaq a bunch of times?

I can think of a lot of things to cover on the topic of shifting middle eastern depictions in comics, but if you don't mention that the Joker was the Iranian UN ambassador then you should have automatically gotten an F.

Man, I'd love to work in a comics theme to a research paper but the Apple iPhone battery mismanagement paper I mentioned a page or so back is likely the last research paper I have to write for my degree. It's extra disappointing because studying electrical engineering has taught me that early issues of Iron Man are 100% scientifically accurate. By which I mean, Stan probably read an issue of Scientific American talking about the properties of transistors and managed to misinterpret it a lot less than you might think.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 14, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The examples I used were: Kismet, Doctor Fate, the original Blue Beetle, the Al Ghuls, Joker in Iran, 300, the Shadow King, Dust, Ms. Marvel, Sheriff of Babylon, and Infidel.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

Roth name request change to "Dr. Roth, CBMD"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's the anniversary of Darwyn Cooke's death and today we've lost the real Lois Lane, Margot Kidder.

Hope y'all weren't having good days or anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My dad just got diagnosed with brain damage and is losing his faculties despite not being 60 yet so I wasn't.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lurdiak posted:

My dad just got diagnosed with brain damage and is losing his faculties despite not being 60 yet so I wasn't.

Sorry friend :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Dang, sorry man

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's really rough.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

:( sorry

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well. poo poo.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

It's the anniversary of Darwyn Cooke's death and today we've lost the real Lois Lane, Margot Kidder.

Hope y'all weren't having good days or anything.

And both were supposed to be at Motor City Comic Con the week they died. Darwyn was the day of. I had New Frontier in my bag, on the way to the con when I found out.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I did really like new Archie--is Chip's Jughead equivalently good?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I did really like new Archie--is Chip's Jughead equivalently good?
More funny, less drama. Definitely good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

And both were supposed to be at Motor City Comic Con the week they died. Darwyn was the day of. I had New Frontier in my bag, on the way to the con when I found out.

I wish I'd gotten more of his works signed. I really need to finish my Cooke collection.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I wish I'd gotten more of his works signed. I really need to finish my Cooke collection.

I met him in 2014, and he was the nicest guy, but kind of like what you'd expect -- a man of few words, like an old-timey G-man or a dad from the early '60s.

I was lucky, because I got him to sign my two New Frontier TPBs and that later New Frontier special issue that didn't make it into the TPBs, his Solo issue, his two Spirit TPBs, Batman: Ego and Other Stories (which also included Selina's Big Score), the first Brubaker Catwoman TPB he drew, the X-Force and X-Statix TPBs he drew issues in, and the Before Watchmen: Minutemen miniseries. Aside from the Parker books, which I loved but still don't own copies of, I like to think I got him to sign most of his best works.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I met him in 2014, and he was the nicest guy, but kind of like what you'd expect -- a man of few words, like an old-timey G-man or a dad from the early '60s.

I was lucky, because I got him to sign my two New Frontier TPBs and that later New Frontier special issue that didn't make it into the TPBs, his Solo issue, his two Spirit TPBs, Batman: Ego and Other Stories (which also included Selina's Big Score), the first Brubaker Catwoman TPB he drew, the X-Force and X-Statix TPBs he drew issues in, and the Before Watchmen: Minutemen miniseries. Aside from the Parker books, which I loved but still don't own copies of, I like to think I got him to sign most of his best works.

I just have a few things. Since he passed I've been making more of a point to get things signed by creators I love.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Woah, I've never had any desire to get anything signed, but does it really work like that? You just show up with a dozen books and he signs them all one by one? And a bunch of people are doing this, each carting a dozen trades in their backpack?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Woah, I've never had any desire to get anything signed, but does it really work like that? You just show up with a dozen books and he signs them all one by one? And a bunch of people are doing this, each carting a dozen trades in their backpack?

Most creators who are not dicks will gladly sign books for free. Some will ask you to donate to a charity of their choice and some charge per signature because they are dicks.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Usually at a con or something, don’t do it when they’re out eating dinner

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It depends on the convention and the artist. I've met a lot of my favorite writers and artists at cons, and if I have lots of books they worked on, I'll often bring everything in a rolling bag. If they have a long line or they're sketching commissions at the same time, I don't want to be a jerk, so I'll prioritize and give them my favorites to sign, but then I might get back in line with the rest later, depending on who it is and how busy they are. Keith Giffen very patiently signed A LOT of my JLI/JLA/JLE books and posed for a picture with me, and I gave him some money for his time and trouble. I bound my Starman series into custom hardcovers, which really impressed Tony Harris. He said he wasn't going to sign every single issue in those books, but he was nice enough to sign the tables of contents I made in each one, plus the cover of Starman #0.

Chris Claremont had a long line and was asking for either $5 or $10 per signature. I only had a few of his books with me, but decided to just present him with one to make it a more special thing -- Marvel Team-Up #74, where Spider-Man met the original Saturday Night Live cast (since I'm a huge SNL fan too). He was so shocked that someone asked him to sign that book instead of some key X-Men issue, he got a real kick out of it, and we chatted for a while. Fabian Nicieza was only charging to sign Deadpool-related books, but I brought him the Adventures of Captain America miniseries he wrote in the early '90s, which I had gotten artist Kevin Maguire to sign back when I was a teenager. He was really happy to see those, and he seemed to appreciate not having to talk about Deadpool for a few minutes.

But when my buddy and I met Scott Snyder last year, they capped his signing line at 100 people only, and he would only sign one thing per person. I didn't even own any of his Batman work, so I got him to sign Love Is Love, which I happened to have on me. I'd say Snyder, J. Scott Campbell, and Stan Lee (back in the '90s) were the longest signing lines I've ever waited in.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 15, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

Dang, sorry man

Roth posted:

That's really rough.

Rhyno posted:

Well. poo poo.

Thanks guys. Hopefully treatment is possible but I fear the worst.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks guys. Hopefully treatment is possible but I fear the worst.

I just saw this after my stupid convention talk, and I am truly sorry. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

People do that and as a kid I used to be one of those assholes not thinking about how it was a pain for everyone. These days I make a point of just one or two things but I try to do something a bit more interesting than just a signature. My Mighty Hercules one is the best of those where the signatures are accompanied by each person adding onomatopoeia of them signing the book.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
As long as we're talking about signings:

I used to get artists at cons to draw Indiana Jones for me. I wanted to fill a whole sketch book of them but haven't been to a con in quite a while. At one very small con thrown by some podcasters in Pennsylvania years ago the Simonsons showed up as surprise guests. Walt drew me Thor wearing Indiana Jones's hat with the little wings on the side for free.

I also once saw Darwyn Cooke sitting at his booth with NO LINE and was too nervous to talk to him without anything for him to sign. Same dealie with Alex Ross but I did talk to him.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 15, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Re: Lurdiak: sorry to hear that mate. That truly sucks.

Re: signings: at emerald city this year Alred was there and there was a considerable line and dine jerk brought every single thing Alred had ever dine to get signed. Alred was very nice and did that and chatted to the guy with a big grin but it was pissing of everyone waiting in the line, especially those who only had a few things to sign. People in the line have the jerk a Bronx cheer when he got all his things signed and left. That one signing took nearly 45 minutes.
Claremont was charging 5 dollars per book but I think the money went to the hero initiative charity and it was a good way to stop people from asking him to sign every single comic he has ever done.
Most creators usually give a hard cap like first 5 items are free but after that its a dollar per sig which I am okay with.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I met Phil Hester at a signing at a local comic book shop and asked him to sign The Athiest #1. He was perplexed because he hadn't drawn the book. I just told him I enjoyed the series and knew he was the writer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/jordanzakarin/status/996084999429410816

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Morrison's New X-Men began 17 years ago this summer, placing it as far from the present day as it is from the original Secret Wars event, the first appearance of Spider-Man's black costume, and the debut of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm going to see Jim Steranko next month and probably get him to sign Cap 113, Nick Fury 4. Maybe Nick Fury 6 and Cap 111 if I can get good copies.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The one downside to going digital is lack of things to sign.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sign my tablet

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

This is what happens when you let Stan use technology.

https://twitter.com/therealstanlee/status/996429458197307392?s=21

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

The one downside to going digital is lack of things to sign.

I know THREE people with Stan Lee's autograph tattooed on themselves.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Some artists/writers charge for signing only on certain items because they know that the vast majority of the people who are buying those items are doing it for "investment purposes" rather than actually liking the work and feel they should be paid for something that's gonna be flipped. You also see that heavily for anything that people want CGC signed.

Some people are just dicks who think they're better than everyone else.

I love getting poo poo signed. I love meeting the writer/artist and telling them thank you. I suck at interacting with even perceived 'famous' people. I was at a signing for Brian Vaughn and Michael McMillian (True Blood and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) and as much as I wanted to have a conversation, there's always a nagging in my head about how I didn't like waiting in line and there's a whole bunch of people behind me in line so I shouldn't dawdle. Same thing usually happens to me at cons.

I have had a bunch of really good interactions with Ed Brubaker tho. He's really good at being able to still sign other people's poo poo while having a conversation with other people. Same with Tim Seeley and Mike Norton, both are awesome guys.

My best signing was like the first year Snyder exploded, he was promoting his Image book Severed (still one of the creepiest loving comics I've ever read, seriously, if you're into horror, check this poo poo out) at the same time he was promoting Batman and AmVamp for DC/Vertigo. He was at SDCC and was gonna catch him at the DC booth but found out it was super ticketed and just a nasty thing to do so I skipped it. Later in the day, he had a signing for Severed and it was EMPTY. I walked up like half an hour into his hour and no one was around. It was insane and got to have at least some kind of chat with him which was cool.

I guess my lesson here is go get poo poo signed because it's fun and if you're at a large con, don't necessarily go to the most publicized signings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My favorite signing experience was back in like 2000 or 01 when Bendis was just starting to become a name (USM had probably just started) and he was sharing a booth with David Mack and chatted for a bit. He was very nice and gracious that I was enjoying Powers.

• Locked thread