Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

If that dog doesn't get his act together then when he retires he will be eating nothing but... Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Someone actually came to what is probably the right conclusion, someone hacked a database at his vets office to get the names and addresses. I can't think of anything else aside from a friend or something. Hilarious though, and reminds me of the time I got a credit card statement with my name on it, but for someone who lived in Idaho, while I was living in Iowa. Never showed up on a credit report, so I forgot about it.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

that's market research you can take to the bank

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Use the credit card to buy a higher quality dog.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Asimov posted:

Use the credit card to buy a higher quality credit score dog.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Unless you are an accidental landlord who is forced to rent your primary residence or inherited a portfolio properties or something, nobody is in the business of rental properties except to make money. And like I said, if you're not trying to maximize your returns, why are you acquiring rental properties in the first place instead of investments that are a lot easier to deal with, don't require bookkeeping or administrative chores, involve virtually zero time commitment, don't require cash outlays, don't involve financing, are completely liquid, and treated on a favorable tax basis (in the United States)? My index funds have never called me at 2 in the morning telling me that water is spraying out of the dishwasher. If you want exposure to real estate but don't care enough to maximize your investment returns then why not just divorce yourself from all of the hassle and own REIT shares? Even better do it in your IRA or 401k tax free. Maybe some people are just fixated on the value of a tangible physical asset, don't care to participate in equity markets, or derive genuine pleasure from selling housing to others.

Weatherman posted:

Not everyone is trying to beep-boop minmax their bank account, dude.

I should have thrown more beeps and boops in there, it seems.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Weatherman posted:

I should have thrown more beeps and boops in there, it seems.

I’m sorry I thought this was the BWM thread not the socially conscious housing to earn lower profits thread.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A timely article about landlords and rent control:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/05/14/us/new-york-apartment-rent-control-actress-trnd/index.html

Lady paid $29 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment in NYC for 60 years where other rentals were going for as much as $5k. Granted, it hadn’t been upgraded in all that time so it didn’t even have a shower or real heater. Instead she used her 2 fireplaces.

Are 2 fireplaces common in NYC apartments?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/05/14/us/new-york-apartment-rent-control-actress-trnd/index.html

Lady paid $29 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment in NYC for 60 years where other rentals were going for as much as $5k. Granted, it hadn’t been upgraded in all that time so it didn’t even have a shower or real heater. Instead she used her 2 fireplaces.

I like my amenities as much as the next person but I'd have a hard time turning down $29 a month for rent. God drat.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Krispy Wafer posted:

quote:

In March, O'Grady was taking a walk near her home when she was struck by a car and killed.

10-1 odds the landlord was driving the car.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have two in Brooklyn but neither work. Not so common to find ones that you can actually burn wood in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Haven't filed taxes for the past 7 years, how much trouble am I in, and whats the best option to file taxes for a digital small business owner?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8jid1r/havent_filed_taxes_for_the_past_7_years_how_much/

quote:

I've never filed taxes before. I've been living outside of the US for these 7 years, but I stupidly only recently learned that doesn't exclude me from US taxes. I think for many of those years my income was below the threshold to file, but it might have been above it for some of the years. It will be incredibly difficult for me to check that though, since they were foreign bank accounts I don't have access to anymore.

2 years ago I started a business and am now making very decent money (200k/yr profit, 500k/yr revenue) which has been going into a US bank account. I'm mostly worried about those 2 years.

I haven't received any letters or contact from the IRS, but maybe that's because I don't have a US address.

How much fines can I expect? Should I go with a high quality/expensive CPA, or should I use something like H&R block?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gosh, those landlords and the executor of the estate must have been mentally ill not to find a way around the rent control laws and make $MARKET_MAXIMUM from the tenant. I mean, there's literally no other reason they would be so bad with money.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

howdoesishotweb posted:

I’m sorry I thought this was the BWM thread not the socially conscious housing to earn lower profits thread.

Wait, what's the difference?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Motronic posted:

Haven't filed taxes for the past 7 years, how much trouble am I in, and whats the best option to file taxes for a digital small business owner?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8jid1r/havent_filed_taxes_for_the_past_7_years_how_much/

I hope this guy has a lot of money set aside because he's going to owe tens of thousands.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sleepy gary posted:

I hope this guy has a lot of money set aside because he's going to owe tens of thousands.

Doesn’t that depend on what he’s paid in tax to the country where he’s resident, and what tax treaty is in place?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn’t that depend on what he’s paid in tax to the country where he’s resident, and what tax treaty is in place?

Yes, but only partially at his income levels for the past 2 years. The US lets you either deduct your foreign income taxes paid -or- exclude your foreign income (whichever is better for your whole tax situation), but the limit for this is around $100k. For his income above $100k he will owe US Federal income tax on top of whatever foreign taxes he has paid.

Additionally, he will owe penalties for non-filing or late filing, plus interest on any taxes he owes to the US.

edit: You can maybe still deduct the foreign taxes above the $100k exemption but you still have to pay US taxes on the income. I don't make that much so I don't have firsthand experience of that part.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
at long last, i have found the true path and the way, the grand method of action

it is said that grothendieck grouped his great mathematical discoveries by calling them yoga. the etale cohomology. the grothendieck-riemann-roch theorem. the topoi.

(aside: denouncing your former professorship, writing entire shelfs of books of incredible crazy, moving to the pyrenees and relying on the villagers to save you when you try to eat only dandelion soup, deffo bwm but inexplicably good with math)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 15, 2018

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I must admit, this is the last place in the world I ever expected to find even a casual Grothendieck reference, much less a callout to etale cohomology.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
is it that obscure
you couldnt throw a brick at my undergrad without hitting a goddamn algebraic geometer

i just do neural nets nowadays in the dark data mines and i still remember like 5% of that poo poo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sleepy gary posted:

Yes, but only partially at his income levels for the past 2 years. The US lets you either deduct your foreign income taxes paid -or- exclude your foreign income (whichever is better for your whole tax situation), but the limit for this is around $100k. For his income above $100k he will owe US Federal income tax on top of whatever foreign taxes he has paid.

The only tax treaty I’m personally familiar with is between the US and Canada, which permits a US taxpayer to credit tax paid to the CRA against tax owed to the IRS. It’s not a deduction from taxable income, it’s a credit against tax owed under US taxation rules. I used that treaty for several years to avoid double taxation, and it works as designed.

From skimming the IRS explanations, the treaties with other countries operate the same way to prevent double taxation.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

The only tax treaty I’m personally familiar with is between the US and Canada, which permits a US taxpayer to credit tax paid to the CRA against tax owed to the IRS. It’s not a deduction from taxable income, it’s a credit against tax owed under US taxation rules. I used that treaty for several years to avoid double taxation, and it works as designed.

From skimming the IRS explanations, the treaties with other countries operate the same way to prevent double taxation.

I could be misunderstanding how it's handled when "deducted". I pay more taxes in the foreign country than I would with the same income in the US, so maybe it's a credit and not a deduction.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sleepy gary posted:

I could be misunderstanding how it's handled when "deducted". I pay more taxes in the foreign country than I would with the same income in the US, so maybe it's a credit and not a deduction.

Yes, that’s what happens.

From the Canada/US treaty:

quote:

In the case of the United States, subject to the provisions of paragraphs 4, 5 and 6, double taxation shall be avoided as follows: In accordance with the provisions and subject to the limitations of the law of the United States (as it may be amended from time to time without changing the general principle hereof), the United States shall allow to a citizen or resident of the United States, or to a company electing to be treated as a domestic corporation, as a credit against the United States tax on income the appropriate amount of income tax paid or accrued to Canada

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

is it that obscure
you couldnt throw a brick at my undergrad without hitting a goddamn algebraic geometer

i just do neural nets nowadays in the dark data mines and i still remember like 5% of that poo poo

Most people couldn't name a single algebraic geometer, weirdly enough. I can but he's my dad so.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wait, alexander grothendieck is your dad?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Tenant Chat:
Bad tenants can be extremely bwm, we had a few stories back when potential buyers turned into tenants and created all hell. If you have good tenants do what you need to do to keep them. The month or two of vacancies for a tenant transfer can totally wipe out any potential gains from a rent increase, along with the risk of new tenants being assholes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wait, alexander grothendieck is your dad?

Oh ho ho no. My dad is a different algebraic geometer.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

An algebraic geometer dad? In this subforum? In this lengthy thread? Confined entirely to silvergoose's posts?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
NNNEEERRRDDDSSS

https://www.doversaddlery.com/credit-card-info-page/a/401/
It's a credit card, but for horses.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Silvergoose has a cool and good mathdad

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/995381403830243328

I'm guessing the % of 35 year-olds who can say this is vanishingly small.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

For real. I have friends who rob their 401k when they have an "emergency" like buying a new car or going on vacation. They are never, ever going to retire.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That metric is bullshit anyway because there's a strong chance you'll be increasing your salary between 30-35. So while double your 30 year old salary might be doable, double your 35 year old salary could be hilariously unlikely.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hoodwinker posted:

That metric is bullshit anyway because there's a strong chance you'll be increasing your salary between 30-35. So while double your 30 year old salary might be doable, double your 35 year old salary could be hilariously unlikely.

This isn't widely true, largest salary increases come in your 20s unless you're in a career that had very long training like an MD, PhD, or JD.

That metric is also harder for those guys because you're likely still paying off medical school debt through your 30s, even though you're earning $200-350k.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

This isn't widely true, largest salary increases come in your 20s unless you're in a career that had very long training like an MD, PhD, or JD.

That metric is also harder for those guys because you're likely still paying off medical school debt through your 30s, even though you're earning $200-350k.
It really depends on whether or not the plan of, "graduate high school, get a 4 year degree, find a relevant job in your field at valued pay" works out, which given how this generation has been faring doesn't look good.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

axeil posted:

Considering most Americans don't even have 500 bucks put aside for emergencies, it's hilariously tone deaf to just say "well, reality be damned, this is how it ought to be".

Also, too bad they mean annual salary.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Gonna need some facts to back this up. The conventional wisdom is that careers kick off in your 30's. Unless you're an engineer or like a refinery worker or something, there's typically a lot of upside after you get established (and even in those cases, there is still a lot of growth potential, just more front-loaded).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vox Nihili posted:

Gonna need some facts to back this up. The conventional wisdom is that careers kick off in your 30's. Unless you're an engineer or like a refinery worker or something, there's typically a lot of upside after you get established (and even in those cases, there is still a lot of growth potential, just more front-loaded).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c6457e33f139

quote:

For the average person, however, earnings growth stagnates after the first 10 years of a career. Average earnings growth for the 35-to-55 set is zero, the data shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

axeil posted:

Aziz Ansari has really fallen on hard times lately