Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Previa_fun posted:

I always thought Forza had pretty good engine noise especially compared to Gran Turismo where all the cars sounded like vacuum cleaners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DiRT Rally on PC/PS4/Xbone is probably the best sounding.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

We like our 2014 Focus, but either something is wrong with the car, the gas, or the drivers because it has literally never approached 40mpg.

Ours reliably does high 20s in a city-heavy commute, and low 30s on the highway. We also live where speed limits are high and it came with 235 wide Pilot Sport 3s, which isn't helping.
Yeah seriously, I have a 15 hatch 5 speed and mine runs about 32.5 overall says the trip computer, and that's with lots of leadfoot up to a cruising speed and then cruise control the rest of the time so... prolly better than all leadfoot all the time. If I'm on a long road trip I'm always under 34 mpg, lots of cruise control but speeds usually a hair under 80 so that doesn't help. Not bad at all but a bit underwhelming for a compact in its class these days.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What is the Honda Fit of the larger cars/cuvs/suvs? Is there anything in larger classes that combines interior utility, pleasant (M/T) driving dynamics, and is priced competitively in the segment? Or is a lot of the Fit's positives inherent to it's class (ie: subcompacts cost loss and still have manual transmissions), meaning that there isn't really a "bigger honda fit"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jack B Nimble posted:

What is the Honda Fit of the larger cars/cuvs/suvs? Is there anything in larger classes that combines interior utility, pleasant (M/T) driving dynamics, and is priced competitively in the segment? Or is a lot of the Fit's positives inherent to it's class (ie: subcompacts cost loss and still have manual transmissions), meaning that there isn't really a "bigger honda fit"

I haven't driven one but the only thing that comes to mind is the Golf Sportwagen, and it's pretty expensive (although not compared to a lot of crossovers), and then you're driving a VW and it will probably fall apart.

The larger car/CUV/SUV with a manual transmission is a rare beast indeed.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Not M/T but I keep hearing the Macan has a really good driving dynamic, and being on the smaller side in terms of CUV/SUVs. The price isn't something I'd call low though.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

CR-V is the closest analogue to the Fit. Only 2nd to the CX-5 in driving dynamics, and it took packaging lessons from the Fit. The powertrain is best-in-class too. The CX-5 is also great: it wins on driving dynamics, looks, and I prefer the CX-5's interior.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's more than just price and stick, subcompacts outright drive better because they're able to get away with less weight due to less sound deadening, no luxury doo-dads, and typically no complexity like start/stop systems.

It's the main reason why I'm making a Fiesta work as a family car: in addition to being cheaper, the smallest cars drive so much better than anything else that has a back seat.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Golf sportwagens in awd are under $20k on cars.com if patient

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

How much work/money to make a sportwagen or alltrack feel more like a GTI or R?
I love them idea of the Sportwagen and Alltrack with AWD, but 170hp vs 220 to 290hp seems like a big jump.

Also 20-25k vs 42k sounds a lot more friendly on the wallet.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I believe a tune, downpipe, and turbo will get you most of the way to an R for a couple grand.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Godzilla07 posted:

CR-V is the closest analogue to the Fit. Only 2nd to the CX-5 in driving dynamics, and it took packaging lessons from the Fit. The powertrain is best-in-class too. The CX-5 is also great: it wins on driving dynamics, looks, and I prefer the CX-5's interior.

The CX-5 is bonkers good. There’s a reason it made it to the WCOTY top three along with the XC60 and Velar which both cost twice as much.

The Macan is a spectacular drive but also bloody expensive.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mazda is the best manufacturer in every segment it competes in imo

I'm starting to seriously want a new 6

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Wheeee posted:

I had a rental 6 last week, and it didn't comfortably fit a 6' adult in front of a rear-facing baby seat and was also louder inside than other midsizers.

Definitely the driver's car in the segment, though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Wheeee posted:

Yup.

The CR-V definitely beats the CX5 in terms of practicality but the CX5 wins in all other measures. It's so, so, so good.

Twerk from Home posted:

I had a rental 6 last week, and it didn't comfortably fit a 6' adult in front of a rear-facing baby seat and was also louder inside than other midsizers.

Mazda's going through applying the interior treatment they did on the 2nd gen CX9 to all their other cars and the 6 was last to get it with the 2018 car. CX5 got it in 2017, as did the 3, CX3 is getting it in 2019. Before those refreshes the cars are definitely on the loud side - they made them light first then figured out how to get them quiet afterwards, but the post-refresh ones are drat quiet. My new CX9 is like a bank vault at speed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
And the cx5 doesn't fold flat until 2017, is that right? Other that it sounds like the larger car for me to keep in mind.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Twerk from Home posted:

This is definitely the case, it is the best drivers car but it is not the best car for everyone's needs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

kill me now posted:

This is definitely the case, it is the best drivers car but it is not the best car for everyone's needs.

Advertising tells me that actually the Camry is the angriest car in the segment:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I believe a tune, downpipe, and turbo will get you most of the way to an R for a couple grand.

Yeah, I think everything holds up pretty well too but I haven't exactly done a ton of research. This will actually be something for me to keep in mind as a gti replacement.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

Advertising tells me that actually the Camry is the angriest car in the segment:

The new Camry looks like a DTM car, it's a really weird styling tone they're trying to strike here. I don't think my grandma wants rear quarter aero vents and underbody splitters on her daily.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The new Camry looks like a DTM car, it's a really weird styling tone they're trying to strike here. I don't think my grandma wants rear quarter aero vents and underbody splitters on her daily.

Nobody wants the old people segment though

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Meanwhile Nissan is the worst. Calling Nissan "Japanese Chrysler" today is an insult to FCA, who does actually make vehicles that people dream about owning.

I don't think there's a single Nissan worth buying new today. Even if you have bad credit, Hyundai/Kia make better vehicles than Nissan.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Like a DTM car by from the late 1950s. There’s something reminiscent of those yank tanks with giant fins and chrome extensions about the Camry, particularly from the rear. The LE looks a lot better than the gussied-up XLE, IMO.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Godzilla07 posted:

Meanwhile Nissan is the worst. Calling Nissan "Japanese Chrysler" today is an insult to FCA, who does actually make vehicles that people dream about owning.

I don't think there's a single Nissan worth buying new today. Even if you have bad credit, Hyundai/Kia make better vehicles than Nissan.

Nonsense, the GT-R is one of the best sports cars of 2008

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

Nonsense, the GT-R is one of the best sports cars of 2008

I wonder if steadily discounting the GT-R would get them more sales. It's not a 100k car, but more people would get it at 70. Could they make the margins work at this point?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Godzilla07 posted:

The Frontier is a great truck and substantially cheaper than a Tacoma, the new Armada is based on the Patrol (With the cool offroad stuff ripped out lol) and the new Titan is fine if not special. Apparently their commercial vans are decent.

Their unibody vehicles are a loving joke tho yea

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

CornHolio posted:

Nobody wants the old people segment though

Old people are buying crossovers now, just like everyone else.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder if steadily discounting the GT-R would get them more sales. It's not a 100k car, but more people would get it at 70. Could they make the margins work at this point?
Didn't they spend the last few years increasing the prices on the GTR? It was good value initially but over time became less so, especially once you consider constantly improving competition.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't they spend the last few years increasing the prices on the GTR? It was good value initially but over time became less so, especially once you consider constantly improving competition.

Yeah, they justified it with increasing power, slightl weight improvements, and trans shift programming improvements.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Old people are buying crossovers now, just like everyone else.

If anything, aging boomers are arguably the primary driver of increasing CUV sales. Aging hips and backs love that higher step-in height and taller seat backs. Retirement communities are littered with Buick Encores and Cadillac SRXs/XT5s for a reason.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

The Leaf is good.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Nissan isn't spending money on developing most of their vehicles because they don't give a poo poo and can make money easily by selling low effort trash at discount prices and extending credit to everyone with a pulse, but they're serious about EVs.

In five years Nissan may have a legit presence in the EV market at the expense of the rest of their lineup, which is a super great strategy since it's going to remain a niche market for the foreseeable future and companies like Toyota and VAG have way better tech.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Wheeee posted:

The Frontier is a great truck and substantially cheaper than a Tacoma, the new Armada is based on the Patrol (With the cool offroad stuff ripped out lol) and the new Titan is fine if not special. Apparently their commercial vans are decent.

Their unibody vehicles are a loving joke tho yea

The Frontier hasn't been touched since GWB's first term. For example, we'd relentlessly mock GM or Chrysler if they sold a new vehicle with this interior in 2018. And an F-150 gets better gas mileage, while making more power and torque.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

MrLogan posted:

The Leaf is good.

Nobody dreams of owning a Leaf, which is the point he's making. They dream of owning a Tesla and then end up in a Leaf because screw waiting 6 months for parts.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BloodBag posted:

Nobody dreams of owning a Leaf, which is the point he's making. They dream of owning a Tesla and then end up in a Leaf because screw waiting 6 months for parts.
$100 lease payments, too.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Godzilla07 posted:

The Frontier hasn't been touched since GWB's first term. For example, we'd relentlessly mock GM or Chrysler if they sold a new vehicle with this interior in 2018. And an F-150 gets better gas mileage, while making more power and torque.

That's a lower level interior but yea even the good one is laughable looking.

Thing is it still has a better engine than the Tacoma and is more robustly built. In the case of Nissan, having been designed before they completely gave up is a good thing.

Also they're cheaper new than a Tacoma or Colorado by a good margin on account of lol Nissan.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Wheeee posted:

lol Nissan.

It's not just you. It's their suppliers too.

http://wardsauto.com/industry/toyota-rises-everyone-else-falls-oem-supplier-relations-study

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Franco Caution posted:

How much work/money to make a sportwagen or alltrack feel more like a GTI or R?
I love them idea of the Sportwagen and Alltrack with AWD, but 170hp vs 220 to 290hp seems like a big jump.

Also 20-25k vs 42k sounds a lot more friendly on the wallet.

IS20 turbo new $1k
JB4 tune $500 or $700 apr flash
DSG Tune $700 apr
Cost to install turbo - few hours

297wtq and 260whp apr 91 tune. Downpipe gets you 309wtq and 270whp. Apr numbers. If you want suspension stuff you get used gti springs struts, amd bump stops cheap off new cars from forums.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A shame to throw away that new 6 year warranty on a VW, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The 1.8t is relatively common and you'd mainly only be messing with the drivetrain aspect. The stock form is slow. My wife is on the stage 1 87 tune and thinking of moving up to the is20 91 tune now.