Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Crazy Ferret posted:

That all said, I do have kind of an odd question. I remember that there was some controversy with how the game handled LGBT folks. I read a bit and it seemed like the developer just either did not understand us much or was "indelicate" with the coding.
The game has hidden "attraction to women/men" stats for each character, which meant that the developer needed to put numbers to them. Not knowing any better, he used the numbers published in the OK Cupid blog, which in turn meant there were a lot of bi women and almost no bi men.

Mix a bit of clueless, hamfisted developer who has no PR experience feeling defensive with today's media, and you get a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I didn't realize the flower pots generate their own grow areas.

Oh yeah, you can also set what flower is planted in them.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Or just don't have so many mental breaks and it'll never be a problem!

As usual there is a job at the butcher table that fixes this

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Recently got a new mouse, so I can finally play Rimworld again! Huzzah! Checking out the Psychology Mod, and yeah, I doubt I'll ever play without it again.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

boneration posted:

Please God link me to the mod that lets me right click on things and command people to smelt them or burn them or whatever. After ~700 hours I should be better with the bill system but it just tires me out. There has to be a mod that does this, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

e: yeah I know dev mode but bleh

But agreed, worth every penny, buy the game.

There is indeed a mod that does exactly what you require. I lost it myself during the update from 16 to 17 and onwards, but i believe this may be the one:

Expanded Context Menu

Oh look, it's a super handy click and play steam mod, with all dependancies listed and linked. :v:

Please let me know if this is the one, I'm not in a position to check at the moment.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 15, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there a mod that lets you mass designate surgeries? It gets annoying real fast to set up blood donations from like ten prisoners every few days

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Don't do what Donny Dont does. Always check who hates who before inviting over multiple trade caravans. A big fight started in my yard because I didn't realize that one outlander union hated the other, a bunch of casualties on each side.

Is it possible to install both a bionic leg and a bionic foot on the same leg? I'd love it if it were possible.

My bloodlust android jedi has now gotten auged up almost all the way, and now moves ~15 c/s. Its amazing.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

ShadowHawk posted:

The game has hidden "attraction to women/men" stats for each character, which meant that the developer needed to put numbers to them. Not knowing any better, he used the numbers published in the OK Cupid blog, which in turn meant there were a lot of bi women and almost no bi men.

Mix a bit of clueless, hamfisted developer who has no PR experience feeling defensive with today's media, and you get a story.

I dont want to get all into it but also keep in mind the author put her comments on his code making it look like his notes and did not disclose that at all.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

McGiggins posted:

There is indeed a mod that does exactly what you require. I lost it myself during the update from 16 to 17 and onwards, but i believe this may be the one:

Expanded Context Menu

Oh look, it's a super handy click and play steam mod, with all dependancies listed and linked. :v:

Please let me know if this is the one, I'm not in a position to check at the moment.

Nope, just adds context menu items that exist on the toolbar already. Thanks though.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Ashsaber posted:

My bloodlust android jedi has now gotten auged up almost all the way, and now moves ~15 c/s. Its amazing.

I've played this game for 711 hours and somehow not had the idea to just stack all my bionics on a single super-soldier; always spreading them out instead. I'm gonna have to give that a shot.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

GaylordButts posted:

I've played this game for 711 hours and somehow not had the idea to just stack all my bionics on a single super-soldier; always spreading them out instead. I'm gonna have to give that a shot.

I was wrong. She's going at 17.6 c/s right now, and there's at least two augments left that boost speed, and due to a mod, two researches that will give a total of +50% speed left. That the armor she has is blue and spiky is just a hilarious coincidence.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
ultimately bionics are one of the primary things you want to be trading for, since they make your duders objectively better but they don't add wealth to the colony after they've been installed on someone (last i checked, anyway)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I note that when starting a caravan, colonists with higher skills and bionics are listed as more expensive, so it could take them into account, but it’s a much smaller cost impact than having a new bionic lying around.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

colonist 'cost' isn't considered by the game in that way. that is a Prepare Carefully thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Coolguye posted:

ultimately bionics are one of the primary things you want to be trading for, since they make your duders objectively better but they don't add wealth to the colony after they've been installed on someone (last i checked, anyway)

Alternatively, this is why Cthulhu is by far the most useful Cult god if you're running that mod.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, about that auged up super soldier... Here's what she is now:

And after puttering with the dev console trying to fix a broken mod (advanced transport pods), I got what was pretty much her final form, minus one thing I didn't think of at the time:

*Sanic Intensifies*

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Logically, there must be a point at which the engine is no longer able to animate the full movement in the time that they should take to get to their targer, so would they just blink to where they're going, or would it cap their movement?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Is there a mod to deal with the problem cooks running back and forth grabbing enough goods to cook 1 meal, then running to put that meal away, and ect... ?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The General posted:

Is there a mod to deal with the problem cooks running back and forth grabbing enough goods to cook 1 meal, then running to put that meal away, and ect... ?

Feed the Colonists, and turn off auto-hauling on the cooking job

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The General posted:

A good kitchen setup can help reduce, if not completely eliminate, this problem.

put a stockpile of vegetables and a stockpile of meat on either side of the kitchen station, set to critical priority. Then set up your bill so that the pawn just drops the meal when they're done cooking. That way they'll just grab ingredients immediately available and drop the meal, banging out several meals in rapid succession since they don't have to move, meanwhile some other schmuck does the actual hauling and, hopefully, keeps their ingredient piles stocked.

If you don't use the fridge mod you can either refrigerate the whole room (will slow work speed a bit) or accept that there might be some food spoilage eventually.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Drop On Floor (the vanilla job setting) is a gigantic time saver for pretty much all sorts of worktables, especially if you have a bunch of hauler animals.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Feed the Colonists is working amazing. Thank you.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

The General posted:

If you're running vanilla, I believe the best set up is electric stove, then a parallel row of 3 stools, then another row of 3 stools, and a reversed stove beneath it. Set the top 3 stools to be a meat stockpile, bottom 3 as veggies. If you're not using a stack size increasing mod, I'd just throw it in the freezer.

Someone correct me but that's what I do.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Ffffffuuuuuck. I don't know what mod has caused it, but I have been running into issues where my colonists don't want to do anything at all. I get repeatedly informed that like three of my colonists at a time have nothing to do, and then I look and they've either left a project half finished, or just aren't even starting on their priority 1 job, despite me queuing up like a dozen of that job. The only thing that I think could have caused it was a mod that lets you terraform, since that's all I've added since my last play session, since I wanted to do a mega-project where I set up a lush oasis in my super dry arid scrub-land (and finish taking over like half the map in the process).

E: Or maybe it was the cult mod. Or installing A Dog Said. Or maybe it was shuffling my load order around a bit. But apparently not the terraforming bit. This is a pain.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 17, 2018

The General
Mar 4, 2007

And one more mod question. Work Tab doesn't work with UI scaling, but all I want are more than 4 numbers for work priority.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

Ffffffuuuuuck. I don't know what mod has caused it, but I have been running into issues where my colonists don't want to do anything at all. I get repeatedly informed that like three of my colonists at a time have nothing to do, and then I look and they've either left a project half finished, or just aren't even starting on their priority 1 job, despite me queuing up like a dozen of that job. The only thing that I think could have caused it was a mod that lets you terraform, since that's all I've added since my last play session, since I wanted to do a mega-project where I set up a lush oasis in my super dry arid scrub-land (and finish taking over like half the map in the process).

What labor is it specifically, what are the circumstances? Give some more detail please.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Flesh Forge posted:

What labor is it specifically, what are the circumstances? Give some more detail please.

Crafting, cooking, construction, etc. I had, say, two stoves with five different work orders cued up. My two chefs were constantly going to play in the rec room with >75% joy, despite my meal stocks falling. My crafter would abandon his projects constantly just before completion. I had multiple people set to construct, set up some construction orders, but none of them did anything.

Found the culprit though, it was ADS. Disabled that and everything works fine again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I figured that, but if you don't like the red X you can flag their growing areas as 'don't sow' :shrug:

This is not correct, flowerpots don't actually create a grow zone, so yes forbidding them is what you do if you don't want things planted there.

Today I learned that tool boxes speed up butcher tables :science:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 17, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

This is not correct, flowerpots don't actually create a grow zone, so yes forbidding them is what you do if you don't want things planted there.

Today I learned that tool boxes speed up butcher tables :science:

I imagine a chainsaw would make it faster to butcher... things...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they also speed up stoves, though let's be real - the rate-determining step on stoves is NOT the cooking time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That really depends on the skill of the cook, if you have garbage cooks that +12% really matters.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, but your neurotic, abrasive, perfectionist, gourmet chef wants THEIR loving KNIFE TO BE PERFECT GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

God help them if the hauler puts it in the dishwasher.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

That really depends on the skill of the cook, if you have garbage cooks that +12% really matters.

the window for it being a huge deal is pretty short. if you're working with an unskilled but interested cook and you make that their primary responsibility you can have them cooking fine meals in about a week, and close to 10 within a season. cooking skills up pretty fast if you're allowed to focus on it.

poo poo will suck hard core during that week to a season, no question, but that's more a function of the food poisoning than the food throughput

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You can also reinstall the tool cabinets elsewhere when you're done.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Life getting a little too close to Rimworld.

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/997164862831775744

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

To be fair, they were mostly dachsund-terrier mixes. And we all know that five 5-year-olds are more frightening to fight than one 25-year-old.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You notice that - near her home. She wasn't able to close the door. :(

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
And they are considering pressing charges. A woman is mauled to death by a bunch of feral dogs that a neighbor let live in the woods, and they are considering it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
hahah how is death by dachshunds even real hahaha thats actually kinda sad :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

And they are considering pressing charges. A woman is mauled to death by a bunch of feral dogs that a neighbor let live in the woods, and they are considering it.

Watch the neighbor end up being part of or historically involved with local law enforcement.

I've heard some stories from horse/large animal veterinarians regarding the poo poo that rural law enforcement affiliated people get away with in regards to the treatment of their animals.