Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Covok posted:

So Storm is just going to be using that hammer, isn't she? I guess it kind of makes sense since both of the Thor's lost their hammers and there's an open title now for God of Thunder. I think.

This was already happening in the last two X-men gold. I like her outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's pretty wild that "that one time Storm was Thor once briefly in the 80s" is being called back up now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Android Blues posted:

It's pretty wild that "that one time Storm was Thor once briefly in the 80s" is being called back up now.

It's been called up and referenced like 12 times since then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It's been called up and referenced like 12 times since then.

I liked the bit in Marvel vs. DC where Wonder Woman picks up Thor's hammer just before she's about to fight Storm, briefly gets a new costume, then drops the hammer because the fight would be unfair.

I think Storm just zaps her with lightning and wins almost immediately.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I liked the bit in Marvel vs. DC where Wonder Woman picks up Thor's hammer just before she's about to fight Storm, briefly gets a new costume, then drops the hammer because the fight would be unfair.

I think Storm just zaps her with lightning and wins almost immediately.

That's just a poor decision on her part.
Then again, that whole hammer of the Nordic gods business sorta contradicts Wonder Woman's origin story.

Did one of these Marvel vs DC stories ever involve a meeting between her and Hercules?

Honestly, all those deities are a bit weird. Hercules acknowledges that Odinson is the god of thunder. But that's clearly his dad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Then again, that whole hammer of the Nordic gods business sorta contradicts Wonder Woman's origin story.

Did one of these Marvel vs DC stories ever involve a meeting between her and Hercules?

Honestly, all those deities are a bit weird. Hercules acknowledges that Odinson is the god of thunder. But that's clearly his dad.

I don't know if DC has other pantheons, but Marvel is explicitly a pantheistic universe. The Wonder Woman thing is just showing that she's worthy.

Is there a listicle of people other than the Odinson who've been worthy enough to wield Mjolnir? Beta Ray Bill was the first to my knowledge (except probably Odin himself) but since then I think it's been mostly women: Storm, Wonder Woman, Squirrel Girl, Jane.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Captain America and Superman both have

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Captain America and Superman both have

Then it's tied if we count Odin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Odin's not necessarily worthy, he's the one who cast the spell.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, funny enough, Odin's spell eventually evolved so much that not even he could undo it or be considered worthy by it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

It happened in JLA vs. Avengers and she beats the poo poo out of him because Hercules raped Hippolyta way back in the day.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Aphrodite posted:

Covok posted:

Yeah, funny enough, Odin's spell eventually evolved so much that not even he could undo it or be considered worthy by it.

I think I remember a panel in either Marvel Legacy 1 or the latest Avengers 1 where he's bitching to Mjolnir to cut it out when he's trying to lift it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Loki also wielded Mjolnir once.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Codependent Poster posted:

Loki also wielded Mjolnir once.

Funny enough, I was re-listening to the Thunder and the Storm podcast's interview with Walter Simonson who went "Yeah, no, I pretended that never happened and so should you."

He was referring to the first time it ever happened where it was a result of Loki being supercharged by some magic allowing him to ignore the enchantment, not during the Axis event where inverted Loki became so noble he became worthy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Was that in an older story? I know inverted Loki did, but technically that only worked because he's not worthy.

Just like how that time Rulk used it in space or whatever doesn't count.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Was that in an older story? I know inverted Loki did, but technically that only worked because he's not worthy.

Just like how that time Rulk used it in space or whatever doesn't count.

Yeah, it happened before Walter Simonson took over. I think it happened back when it was still called Journey Into Mystery. Walter Simonson, ironically, is the first person to really make worthiness a big deal...by introducing the first character (as far as he was concerned) to ever be worthy to lift the hammer other than Thor.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

pubic works project posted:

It happened in JLA vs. Avengers and she beats the poo poo out of him because Hercules raped Hippolyta way back in the day.

I had a feeling that this would be an awkward meeting.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wonder Woman and Hercules met in JLA/Avengers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
John Byrne brought in Herakles in his WW run.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm catching up on Jay and Miles and I listened to the Kelly Thompson interview, and I'm going to have to get the trade of Rogue and Gambit because drat, they make it sound like a lot of fun. Also Gambit's balls.

Covok
May 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I'm catching up on Jay and Miles and I listened to the Kelly Thompson interview, and I'm going to have to get the trade of Rogue and Gambit because drat, they make it sound like a lot of fun. Also Gambit's balls.

I read most of it. It was pretty good. There was a deliberate effort to remove the toxic elements of the relationship, actually have them work through their issues like real people, and a real attempt to make this famous couple not creepy and weird. There was also a deliberate effort to remove the worst parts of Gambit's character naturally. The whole thing like a very honest attempt to portray a rocky relationship between people with real issues and grievances who healthily work out those problems to reach common ground.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

It was absolutely a lot of fun, and well worth reading.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm a huge fan of Rogue & Gambit (& them being together) so I am obviously the exact target audience, but it's the most fun & romantic X-book in a good while (shout out to Generation X). While the vast majority of it takes place at the mission location, the first half of the first issue actually makes the School feel like a central hub, and the little interactions between the team members are wonderful. :3:

It's tough waiting for Kelly Thompson's next books to be announced, though her Hawkeye-involving project should be announced before the August solicits. I hope she gets an X-book too, preferably removing Guggenheim.

P.S. Bunn ignoring a really fun fight involving loads of long-forgotten characters (Wildside, Dragoness, Unuscione & Wanderer!) to show another Magneto moment (over Polaris, no less) was peak Bunn. Blue is technically sound, and To's art was great, but it's just so bland.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, that's all the stuff they mention in the podcast that got me interested. Gambit, like all characters created to be cool, always bugged me, and he always seemed like a creep. Not to mention I thought to myself way back then "they only put them together because they're both from the South" and never shook it off.

I'll certainly pick up the trade when it comes out. And I'll probably get any marvel book Kelly Thompson writes.

Metalshark posted:

the first half of the first issue actually makes the School feel like a central hub, and the little interactions between the team members are wonderful. :3:

This is something I really want to see in X-men; the school be a bigger part. It should be where everyone hangs out between crazy poo poo, be the place that everything revolves around.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marvel has an interview with Ed Brisson about the upcoming Extermination miniseries coming up. Sounds like it might be the end of the Original Five.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/89071/ed-brisson-reveals-extermination/

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I had a feeling that this would be an awkward meeting.

Isn't there a thing where DC's Hercules is a son of a bitch more in keeping with the original mythology, whereas Marvel's Hercules is mostly a lovable dope?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wanderer posted:

Isn't there a thing where DC's Hercules is a son of a bitch more in keeping with the original mythology, whereas Marvel's Hercules is mostly a lovable dope?

Pretty much. I think DC's version is still spell Herakles though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Endless Mike posted:

Marvel has an interview with Ed Brisson about the upcoming Extermination miniseries coming up. Sounds like it might be the end of the Original Five.

Well, I'll read every comic with Ahab even though it just leaves me sad and nostalgic for Good Excalibur.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Pretty much. I think DC's version is still spell Herakles though.

You are correct sir!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

You are correct sir!

Has he even been used of late? I can't really think of anything.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

Yes. Bring original Jean back. Bring original Wolvie back. Kill off these time-displaced X-Men duplicates. Suck the old school 80's/90's fans like me back into the fold. I'm not going to run to the comic shop every week to plunk down $4 an issue, but I will buy digital collections when they go on sale.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Has he even been used of late? I can't really think of anything.

For a second I thought he was WW's brother post-N52, but then I remembered that was Jason.

So, no I don't think so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

davebo posted:

Yes. Bring original Jean back. Bring original Wolvie back. Kill off these time-displaced X-Men duplicates. Suck the old school 80's/90's fans like me back into the fold. I'm not going to run to the comic shop every week to plunk down $4 an issue, but I will buy digital collections when they go on sale.

So basically you are not at all the person they want.

(And Wolverine is already back.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So is Jean.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Herakles popped up in WW during the One Year Later story.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

So basically you are not at all the person they want.

(And Wolverine is already back.)

Well if they don't want the older fans then there's really no point catering to us like they have been recently. I'm just saying if they're gonna keep it up then they'll end up with some of us anyway. Sort of like how Honda came out with the Element and thought it'd be a big hit with young hip kids then it was bought overwhelmingly by seniors.

And yeah I know Wolvie is back, I was running through a list of things they've done/are doing that I like.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Not that I blame anyone for skipping out on James Robinson's WW run, but Hercules appeared in the first issue of that. Where he was promptly killed off. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So not the same Herk John Byrne used back in the day. Which was terrible, nobody read Byrne's WW.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So not the same Herk John Byrne used back in the day. Which was terrible, nobody read Byrne's WW.

I like his art on X-Men, but I've never read anything he wrote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I like his art on X-Men, but I've never read anything he wrote.

Once upon a time I loved his work but man, finding out what kind of man he was really soured me. That said, I do still own the DC collections of his post COIE run.