Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

phasmid posted:

They call their religion the "Shariat". However their leader has a Welsh name.

Sure, it's derived from an Arabic word, but so is half of Zensunni and it doesn't resemble Sunni Islam much, or denote that its adherents are Arabs. Given the extreme degree to which religions and languages in the Dune have intermixed and evolved, I doubt that their beliefs have anything in common with Islam, and they certainly don't come off as culturally Arab (though it's been a while since I read the books).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Communist Walrus posted:

Sure, it's derived from an Arabic word, but so is half of Zensunni and it doesn't resemble Sunni Islam much, or denote that its adherents are Arabs. Given the extreme degree to which religions and languages in the Dune have intermixed and evolved, I doubt that their beliefs have anything in common with Islam, and they certainly don't come off as culturally Arab (though it's been a while since I read the books).

I didn't mean to imply that. Sorry if it seemed like a broad stroke. The time I referred to was long after Leto II, which they called the Prophet so yeah. Their culture seemed more like a technocracy based around genetic monopoly.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

I reread the original not too long ago and they have a whole section in the appendices about how during or right after jihad an ecclesiastical council formed where they ironed out a new religion comprimised of all the others and put all the teachings together calling it the oc bible etc and having to put the hurtin on a few groups who didnt take well to it

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Here we go found the section on OC bible creation

quote:

”2. The Commission of Ecumenical Translators. C.E.T. convened on a neutral island of Old Earth, spawning ground of the mother religions. They met “in the common belief that there exists a Divine Essence in the universe.” Every faith with more than a million followers was represented, and they reached a surprisingly immediate agreement on the statement of their common goal: “We are here to remove a primary weapon from the hands of disputant religions. That weapon—the claim to possession of the one and only revelation.” Jubilation at this “sign of profound accord” proved premature. For more than a standard year, that statement was the only announcement from C.E.T. Men spoke bitterly of the delay...
Occasional rumors leaked out of the C.E.T. sessions. It was said they were comparing texts and, irresponsibly, the texts were named. Such rumors inevitably provoked anti-ecumenism riots and, of course, inspired new witticisms. Two years passed . . . three years. The Commissioners, nine of their original number having died and been replaced, paused to observe formal installation of the replacements and announced they were laboring to produce one book, weeding out “all the pathological symptoms” of the religious past. “We are producing an instrument of Love to be played in all ways,” they said....

For almost seven years, then, C.E.T. labored. And as their seventh anniversary approached, they prepared the human universe for a momentous announcement. On that seventh anniversary, they unveiled the Orange Catholic Bible. “Here is a work with dignity and meaning,” they said. “Here is a way to make humanity aware of itself as a total creation of God.”

It goes on to the reaction but im phoneposting and probably loving something up. Think i was off on timeframe as well. I think this is post jihad by quite awhile

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Regarding the Jihad and as others have said here; yeah. I do not understand how anyone can read Herbert's work and get the idea that it's a robot uprising or man vs machine conflict. It's a neo-luddite uprising. The Jihad wasn't humans fighting against robots in an existential war, it was humans with technology fighting against humans without technology in a vicious ideological conflict. Sure; there may have been AI (given the prohibition on it, seems more likely than not) but they were not the enemies. Like everything else in Dune, no matter how strange the circumstances, the Jihad was ultimately a very human conflict about human concerns and issues. "Have we diminished ourselves in our pursuit of technology?" not "Will Lord Cyber T-Rex 9000 destroy us all?"

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Regarding the Jihad and as others have said here; yeah. I do not understand how anyone can read Herbert's work and get the idea that it's a robot uprising or man vs machine conflict. It's a neo-luddite uprising. The Jihad wasn't humans fighting against robots in an existential war, it was humans with technology fighting against humans without technology in a vicious ideological conflict. Sure; there may have been AI (given the prohibition on it, seems more likely than not) but they were not the enemies. Like everything else in Dune, no matter how strange the circumstances, the Jihad was ultimately a very human conflict about human concerns and issues. "Have we diminished ourselves in our pursuit of technology?" not "Will Lord Cyber T-Rex 9000 destroy us all?"

I'm a human and I would be concerned about, and have issues with Lord Cyber T-Rex 9000 destroying me :colbert:

And I don't remember the Tielaxu semen pond?
(Also I always found it interesting how Scytale apparently somehow ranked up/transformed into a Master, and that the rest of the Masters were cool with him even though he (under orders) almost murdered their Messiah as a newborn baby.)

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 15, 2018

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And I don't remember the Tielaxu semen pond?
(Also I always found it interesting how Scytale apparently somehow ranked up/transformed into a Master, and that the rest of the Masters were cool with him even though he (under orders) almost murdered their Messiah as a newborn baby.)

It's only a snippet at the beginning of Heretics. They're talking about foreign pollution and how Tleilaxu masters can't breed with them except under direct handling.

I think it's implied that Scytale is promoted for his handling of the Messiah affair. They bring him back as a ghola and his reward for discovering (along with the dwarf) that memories can be implanted is that he rose from the ranks of their slaves into the ruling class. Just my personal take, tho.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

phasmid posted:

It's only a snippet at the beginning of Heretics. They're talking about foreign pollution and how Tleilaxu masters can't breed with them except under direct handling.

I think it's implied that Scytale is promoted for his handling of the Messiah affair. They bring him back as a ghola and his reward for discovering (along with the dwarf) that memories can be implanted is that he rose from the ranks of their slaves into the ruling class. Just my personal take, tho.

I completely forgot about the midget who's been mentally conditioned to only speak in riddles and poems.

Edit: Who was actually one of their society's rulers.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
And he is some sort of Kwizatz Haderach too because he is invisible to prescience

Edit: where was he shown to be a leader? He was a ghola, born just before DuncanHayt

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

phasmid posted:

Don't forget that the latterday Tleilaxu also swim in a big pond full of semen and jack off together.

The Tleilaxu were just weird and gross overall. Nobody liked them and there are suggestions that the only reason they got tolerated at all was because they were useful. Everybody had at least some vague idea of what weird shenanigans they got up to behind the scenes but overall just wanted them to sell their wares and otherwise go the gently caress away.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Tleilaxu were just weird and gross overall. Nobody liked them and there are suggestions that the only reason they got tolerated at all was because they were useful. Everybody had at least some vague idea of what weird shenanigans they got up to behind the scenes but overall just wanted them to sell their wares and otherwise go the gently caress away.

They wouldn't have it any other way. Much like ol Vladdy B they were putting on an act to make people underestimate them.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Lathespin.gif posted:

read the entire thread, didn't see this posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzTat3OD3w

dune owns.

its gonna take a lot to take me away from dunnnneee
theres nothing that 100 fremen or more can ever do

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

phasmid posted:

Don't forget that the latterday Tleilaxu also swim in a big pond full of semen and jack off together.

Sounds like a Sandals resort heyoooo

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

exmachina posted:

And he is some sort of Kwizatz Haderach too because he is invisible to prescience

Edit: where was he shown to be a leader? He was a ghola, born just before DuncanHayt

I meant how he was a Master. I guess not every Master is necessarily an executive. I mean, their society is apparently nothing but shapeshifters and creepy midget boss-men (the tanks don't really count...).

dis astranagant posted:

They wouldn't have it any other way. Much like ol Vladdy B they were putting on an act to make people underestimate them.

Being extremely morbidly obese to obfuscate your competence and as a form of visual trolling to gross out your enemies is a A+ statesmanship tactic.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
being extremely obese and immobile to own the lands

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Joke's on you guys, I only weigh 500 pounds ironically

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I meant how he was a Master. I guess not every Master is necessarily an executive. I mean, their society is apparently nothing but shapeshifters and creepy midget boss-men (the tanks don't really count...).

Being extremely morbidly obese to obfuscate your competence and as a form of visual trolling to gross out your enemies is a A+ statesmanship tactic.

Whoops I thought you meant Bijaz, not Waff.

E: whoops Batiz is the little melon, lol

exmachina fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 15, 2018

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Tleilaxu society very hive-like. Giant immobile tanks/Queens, male Masters and innumerable sterile facedancer workers. Also Tleilaxu society evolved over time. Messiah's Scytale was very independent. A super-spy bred for super spying. Eventually promoted to Master. Heretic's facedancers are cannon fodder literally incapable of not obeying orders.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'd unironically like a chairdog, though.
So did Frank Herbert. Chairdogs appear in works other than Dune.

Herr Bazooka fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 15, 2018

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

exmachina posted:

Whoops I thought you meant Batiz, not Waff.

No I meant Bijaz, not Waff. Waff is explicitly one of their rulers. Bijaz is the weird rhyming midget in Dune Messiah who I thought was just a weird midget clone who came out of the same horrible vagina-vat as Duncan #2, but wikipedia and innocuous captions on the wiki say he's a master? I'd assumed that was stated, but it's probably people reaching.
My bad.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I completely forgot about the midget who's been mentally conditioned to only speak in riddles and poems.

Edit: Who was actually one of their society's rulers.

FH doesn't bring the dwarf back, just Scytale. The dwarf just gets sliced by Idaho. He's named Bijaz, which I always read as Bitchass. Haha.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They got worse and worse as the timeline went on. Leto only hated them less than the Bene Gesserit because they were self-destructive and the BG weren't. Like, he didn't need to do anything except cow them now and then but the Sisterhood was a continual threat. The audience between the BG and Leto in book 4 is great and it reveals a big part of their relationship wrt the Atreides.

priznat posted:

Sounds like a Sandals resort heyoooo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Abupkis... Deserted planet

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

sebmojo posted:

Abupkis... Deserted planet

Where's my doctor?!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Arruckus - a very noisy planet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Masheikh are the ruling council, Master might just be some dude with a handful of Facedancer slaves. Masheikh also happens to be an alternate spelling of a class of Islamic legal scholar, hence their occasional references to "the legalists of the Shariat".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

No I meant Bijaz, not Waff. Waff is explicitly one of their rulers. Bijaz is the weird rhyming midget in Dune Messiah who I thought was just a weird midget clone who came out of the same horrible vagina-vat as Duncan #2, but wikipedia and innocuous captions on the wiki say he's a master? I'd assumed that was stated, but it's probably people reaching.
My bad.

I think Wikipedia may be infected with the taint of Brian Herbert and KJA’s books, but the last time I sat down and read the whole series was like 14 years and 7 concussions ago.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Wikipedia posts Brian/Kevin poo poo as Canon, yeah. In Chapterhouse Dune Scytale lists the Tleliax he has genetic info for. Up to GEoD in my re-read

exmachina fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 15, 2018

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Ah poo poo, wish that tooth would have killed the fat man

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

henpod posted:

Ah poo poo, wish that tooth would have killed the fat man

Leto didn’t remember the tooth hard enough :911:

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

phasmid posted:

The audience between the BG and Leto in book 4 is great and it reveals a big part of their relationship wrt the Atreides.

“Where did you get the spice-essence?” Leto asked.

“We bought it from smugglers,” Anteac said.

“There’ve been no smugglers for almost twenty-five hundred years.”

“Waste not, want not,” Anteac said.

Fuckin lol

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Wait, how do they get spice essence in the first place? The "spice essence" you need to become a Reverend Mother isn't just spice; it's ambergris from a dying baby sandworm. That seems a lot harder to get your hands on than just getting some spice.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Wait, how do they get spice essence in the first place? The "spice essence" you need to become a Reverend Mother isn't just spice; it's ambergris from a dying baby sandworm. That seems a lot harder to get your hands on than just getting some spice.

Smugglers? Maybe bought from fremen. Bene Gesserit bought it from smugglers 2500 years ago and kept it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I always took tleilaxu to be the Mysterious East Asian stereotype magnified to a planetwide society.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

basic hitler posted:

I always took tleilaxu to be the Mysterious East Asian stereotype magnified to a planetwide society.

Well, I mean, if you want to draw real-world parallels, the Axlotl Tanks and presumably the name 'Tleilaxu' itself are meant to evoke Meso-American languages. Axolotls are real things, after all.

Honestly, though, I kind of feel like the Tleilaxu probably represent the machine thinking of the enemies in the Jihad but from the other end. Horseshoe theory, kinda. Rather than cultivating and perfecting humans the way the BG, Mentats, Fremen, and other factions of Dune do, the Tleilaxu sort of reduce humans to something less than the sum of their parts; genes and parts to be used and re-used. They're Ix but dealing in meat rather than metal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I feel like the tleilaxu were more mad scientists than anything. They didn't have a specific cultural flavor they were just biological science taken to creepy and weird extremes.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My perspecrive comes from the choices of the narrator for heretics, who portrays them in an east asian accent. It kinda works though

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I hate sand, Chani

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

basic hitler posted:

My perspecrive comes from the choices of the narrator for heretics, who portrays them in an east asian accent. It kinda works though

I haven't heard any of the audiobooks but, in my head, Scytale sounds exactly like Wallace Shawn.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

from my point of view the Tleilax are evil

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The tleilaxu are some of the most legitimate bad people after the harkonnens cease to exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
don't forget i'm the copyright holder. i really insist that you know

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/996510938206384128

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cshxBILvmHQ&t=9s

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 15, 2018