Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The fight scene being theatrical is the entire point. Dude's dressed like a tactical luchador.

If only. Its just a vest and a stupid breath mask. I would have loved for Luchadore Bane with and actual Luchadore mask, dual bandoliers, and a bunch of pouches full of Venom syringes. Also have him do a Hurricanrana on Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrJacobs posted:

If only. Its just a vest and a stupid breath mask. I would have loved for Luchadore Bane with and actual Luchadore mask, dual bandoliers, and a bunch of pouches full of Venom syringes. Also have him do a Hurricanrana on Batman.

I guess that Ledger's Joker was more like a wrestler in that he released pre-taped fight promos calling out his opponent

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I guess that Ledger's Joker was more like a wrestler in that he released pre-taped fight promos calling out his opponent

Heh, now that I think about it, Iron Man 3 was the same way. You've got the "Mandarin" doing his promos, and then finally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Someone in BSS who saw it confirmed: Deadpool 2 of all the drat movies has the first (official, explicit) gay couple for a superhero film.

Took them loving long enough, and somehow a Wonder Woman movie came and went without making this milestone.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Someone in BSS who saw it confirmed: Deadpool 2 of all the drat movies has the first (official, explicit) gay couple for a superhero film.

Took them loving long enough, and somehow a Wonder Woman movie came and went without making this milestone.

Wonder Woman is probably the safest "for women" product they could have made imaginable. What you want, what should happen, would be some radical leftist idea. Wonder Woman was a nice centrist middle-of-the-road movie that conservatives can comfortably watch without being challenged by showing them things like that LGBTQ folk exist or that you don't need a man to be strong, independant and powerful.

And the fact that a movie like that is some super huge loving deal just shows how lovely the system is with diversity.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Presented without comment because I have no idea what it means:

https://twitter.com/larryfong/status/996453929444458496

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It means he just got in a car wreck. Ironically if he had just shouted "Oh poo poo" instead of tweeting it he'd probably be fine

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
107 people are talking about Larry Fong saying Oh poo poo!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tell us, Larry!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Vaguetweeting is just as stupid as vaguebooking.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"Oh poo poo!

THE PREDATOR OWNS"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, it's a reference to the trailer for The Predator, which is surprisingly un-good-looking for a Larry Fong movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Gonna be mad if Keegan's character doesn't brag about his brutal neck-snapping abilities in the first act

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, it's a reference to the trailer for The Predator, which is surprisingly un-good-looking for a Larry Fong movie.

Half the shots in that movie are b-roll. And what looks like second unit stuff. It’s a pretty bad trailer with almost nothing to show, so I can’t judge how it looks.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you want to know how Agents of Shield handle the end of Infinity War, season 6 will only air in summer 2019.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cythereal posted:

You made this exact post in another thread!

I mean, not that I mind. It needs to be repeated, I think. I'm kind of baffled that really wasn't a thing before and that TV was way ahead of them there.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I would pay to watch Thanos get his poo poo pushed in by Keegan M Key TBQHWYFAL

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cythereal posted:

*Ignoring thousands and thousands of movies including The Raid*

“Finally! Confirmed! The first ever (official, explicit) Muslim character in film, that I care about, because he’s a superhero.”

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You just wait. The Arabian Knight: Origins is gonna kick rear end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

evilmiera posted:

You made this exact post in another thread!

Different people read different threads, and I thought it was relevant to the people in either thread.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

*Ignoring thousands and thousands of movies including The Raid*

“Finally! Confirmed! The first ever (official, explicit) Muslim character in film, that I care about, because he’s a superhero.”

That was an interesting one. Action movies rely on shorthand a lot of the time. Rama being devout is shorthand for 'we can trust this guy' the same way him questioning authority a few minutes later is. But I read more than a few takes that couldn't figure it out, often from people who had watched Die Hard and understood how efficiently that movie tells you who McClane is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
As an aside, yeah, I really like how Rama's devoutness is shorthand for 'total determination'. I'd go so far as to say people didn't pick up on it because it's such a foreign idea to a Western audience that an action film would say the hero is good because of how Muslim he is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

As an aside, yeah, I really like how Rama's devoutness is shorthand for 'total determination'. I'd go so far as to say people didn't pick up on it because it's such a foreign idea to a Western audience that an action film would say the hero is good because of how Muslim he is.

The disappointing one was Ebert, who's written articles on symbolism and foreshadowing in film. He couldn't work out why that shot was there, and it confused him enough to mention it in his review.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Cythereal posted:

Well, this is annoying - I want to support and see the film because of this, but then there's the issue where Vanessa is "fridged", but later brought back in a lazy-sounding time-travel-related after-credits scene which makes me not want to see the movie out of principal.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm sure it wasn't the first but we got Saladin in Kingdom of Heaven. Fight me if you think he doesn't count.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Italian grindhouse cinema, Ruggero Deodato, the early 80s, somehow this perfect storm of factors that gave us waves of hyper racist colonialist dogshit like Cut and Run, etc. also gave us the character Muhammad Washington played by Tony King in the film Atlantis Interceptors. An Italian action movie from the 80s directed by Ruggero Deodato where a black Muslim character is the most competent person in the group, kicks the most rear end, gets a lot of the action movie dialogue, drives much of the plot and action forward, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzerr-ewB7A

Every second of this movie is the best part of the movie, but one of the many best parts of the movie is when they're paralyzed by an Atlantean forcefield, and they both freeze up, Chris Connelly looks confused, then Tony King PIVOTS, LEANS OVER CLOSER TO HIS FACE, and exclaims "We frozen! We can't move!" then pivots back into his frozen/struggling to move position. It's art.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 16, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Italian exploitation directors were nothing if not students of the game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scrap brie larson and just cut to the actually good character already

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's good about her?

Is she basically girl Spider-Man but with stretching powers instead of spider powers?

Cause that would be pretty good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

What's good about her?

Is she basically girl Spider-Man but with stretching powers instead of spider powers?

I would be the last person to harp on this but goddamn the MCU is so white. A large part of what makes her compelling is balancing her superhero act with being a part of a more traditional Pakistani-American family. It's different in a way that oh god another pretty white superhero origin movie feels just exhausting at this point. Also she takes in the giant dog from Inhumans at one point. It's very different and down to earth in a way that's far more relatable.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Now that that Inhumans show that no one gave a poo poo about is dead maybe they could re-introduce Lockjaw the dog alone into the Marvel movies. It helps that he's not a racist or practicer of Eugenics like the rest of his family.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

king of the hill taught me that dogs can learn racism from their owners, so I wouldn't be so quick to assume things

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
lockjaw is a dude they turned into a dog so I feel like we're in uncharted territory

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Taintrunner posted:

I would be the last person to harp on this but goddamn the MCU is so white. A large part of what makes her compelling is balancing her superhero act with being a part of a more traditional Pakistani-American family. It's different in a way that oh god another pretty white superhero origin movie feels just exhausting at this point. Also she takes in the giant dog from Inhumans at one point. It's very different and down to earth in a way that's far more relatable.

If I were her parents I'd be like "No fuckin way, we'd be bankrupt from feeding that thing in a month. Holy poo poo!"

Send him to Professor Rex's School for Marmadukes

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

ElNarez posted:

lockjaw is a dude they turned into a dog so I feel like we're in uncharted territory

Drax in the comics used to be a human whereas in the movies he's always been a klingon-type. They can just adapt out or streamline this stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ElNarez posted:

I didn't watch the Inhumans TV show, did they really go with this origin for him? Because in the comics they originally had him as a guy who got turned into a dog by the terrigen mist who was mostly silent but at one point had a conversation with The Thing from the Fantastic Four, but later on a different writer retconned it so that some of the other Inhumans had used ventriloquism to make The Thing think that their dumb dog could talk as a prank.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

What's good about her?

Her supporting cast of friends and family are all superbly written, realistic characters. It helps that the person who created Kamala Khan partially based her life on lived experience, so this lower-middle class family of Pakistani immigrants living in New Jersey all feel like real people and not caricatures (positive or negative----as written they have their faults but being good people on the whole). If anything, in the comic the superhero parts tend to take a backseat to the more interesting human drama (the villains who menace Jersey City tend to be pretty lame).

Kamala herself is kind of an Ascended Nerd archetype. She's been writing smutty fanfiction about the Marvel Superheroes for years and knows their lore and poo poo almost better than they can remember it themselves. She's got this really idealized idea of what a hero should be that makes her one of the least cynical superpowered-people even among the youngest. Unfortunately outside her own title the only comic where she's a regular is Champions, which sucks.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Harime Nui posted:

Kamala herself is kind of an Ascended Nerd archetype. She's been writing smutty fanfiction about the Marvel Superheroes for years and knows their lore and poo poo almost better than they can remember it themselves. She's got this really idealized idea of what a hero should be that makes her one of the least cynical superpowered-people even among the youngest. Unfortunately outside her own title the only comic where she's a regular is Champions, which sucks.

So Gwenpool but not white and also actually has powers?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ElNarez posted:

I thought that had been retconned to be just an offhand joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Aces High posted:

So Gwenpool but not white and also actually has powers?

And a firm moral compass.

I mean, Gwen gets one of those eventually but it takes a while.