Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Pretty sure they already used more teamwork in their first battle than happened in the entirety of Try.

Also I love the Galbady Rebake, and the fact that we even got a G-rated version of the horrific pincer kills from IBO.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Momokapool was better than I ever hoped, the show completely skipped over "learning to fight as a team" right to "well-oiled machine", Rommel's back, and I think they've been slightly increasing the size of Magee's rear end each episode*.

Show is good now

edit: *I mean, come on

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mordja posted:

Pretty sure they already used more teamwork in their first battle than happened in the entirety of Try.

Also I love the Galbady Rebake, and the fact that we even got a G-rated version of the horrific pincer kills from IBO.

I was actually kinda hoping for a cutaway to the poor guy getting crushed inside his virtual cockpit. The mortar actually makes a lot of sense seeing as he seems to be setting up as the designated tactician too.

And not only did they have far better teamwork than Try, they made the fight flow extremely well as brief encounter vignettes with an extra four machines in play. Granted it gets a bit praise-heavy at the end, but I don't hate it in the way I did for Sekai because the tone is "Gunpla's awesome, come play with us!" rather than "WE MUST FIGHT YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE TEH BESTEST, NO I WANNA FIGHT YOU FIRST! :byodood:"

Guy Goodbody posted:

Momokapool was better than I ever hoped, the show completely skipped over "learning to fight as a team" right to "well-oiled machine", Rommel's back, and I think they've been slightly increasing the size of Magee's rear end each episode*.

Show is good now

edit: *I mean, come on

I just like that they finally acknowledged Sarah not having a gunpla of her own in the best way they possibly could've. Though given the way the scene was leading, I was actually expecting it to turn out that she pilots the mini-Kapool in the Momokapool.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

After this cool fight scene and fun episode, I'm more excited for the show now.

The ground works been set up guys, now just keep moving.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Hiding the lake was downright devious.

So let's see, Sarah gets her accessory and it is nothing more than a symbol of friendship.
The solo-player knows more about guild halls than the folks who have spent the last week+ obsessing over their new guild. On a side-note, I like all the slide-out furniture even if the room is large enough that it's a superfluous feature at best.
Sarah still doesn't have a gunpla and I doubt she'll ever get one before an epilogue scene at the end of the show, if at all. But she's still ranked equal with Momoko so those participation-points aren't for show.

I'm not sure what is more cheating, Rommel springing his latest class on some unsuspecting newbies to give them a taste of victory with a one-sided pounding, or the newbies having a veteran on their team. Granted, the veteran didn't seem to do better or worse than anyone else, but that was the thought I was having before the fighting started.

Once the fight got underway however...Man, Rommel really feels like less of a big deal considering how his pupils got clowned on. There were a few nice things on Team Divers, but the Rommel-squad totally fell apart when things stopped going according to plan. Mistaking an artillery barrage as a clear sign of there being more opponents than permitted under the rules was one thing that stood out.

The IBO-cosplay mobile suit had a few nice features. The mortar can be dropped to take off dead weight once its ammo has been spent, the club is thick enough to do double duty as a shield and of course it can chomp down on some poor guy's torso. This being a game though, we are spared a graphic scene of the pilot getting crushed into a paste. I hope it gets to use its horn at some point.

RX-0maru...I just realized its based on the unicorn and now I feel embarrassed it took me so long. At the moment I don't have much to say about it. It's piloted by a ninja and does ninja-things with ninja-weapons. The flame-scarf is cool though.

The new kapool is adorable. Part of me is unhappy that Momo got her win essentially by dumb luck and clumsiness but as I said before, the trick where she hid her playground was evil. And hey, quad V-pose!

The 3d-printing was an interesting feature. Turning in-game awards into something that needs to be assembled by hand afterwards. Which brings us back to 'build quality'. I now envision a thriving business where professional farmers grind gear, print it, build it with professional skill, then sell and ship it for real money.

Next episode...bear guys, an amusement park and I think it will focus on Ayame.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

maninthesuit posted:

Next episode...bear guys, an amusement park and I think it will focus on Ayame.

I'd say less focusing on her, and more just insinuating the episode will feature getting Ayame to break her Stoic Ninja Persona over adorable Petit'gguys. Because who wouldn't? :magical:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bear bear bear bear bear. Bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear. Bear bear bear, bear bear. 7/10

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just like that they finally acknowledged Sarah not having a gunpla of her own in the best way they possibly could've. Though given the way the scene was leading, I was actually expecting it to turn out that she pilots the mini-Kapool in the Momokapool.

My current theory is that Sarah isn't a ghost or an alien, she's a lost child who's sleeping in the Divers building like how some young people sleep in manga cafes. That's why she doesn't have her own Gunpla and can't rent one, she doesn't even have enough money for food.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

My current theory is that Sarah isn't a ghost or an alien, she's a lost child who's sleeping in the Divers building like how some young people sleep in manga cafes. That's why she doesn't have her own Gunpla and can't rent one, she doesn't even have enough money for food.

Wouldn't a week of eating virtual mcronalds food hill her? Or at least emaciate her to the point of collapsing and needing to be carried by others.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Finally an episode I can get behind and enjoy. So ready for and glad the real action started happening. It was a well coordinated battle and I think it flowed really well. Love the Gabaldy Rebake.

Only thing I'm not huge on is everyone important and their dad are somehow invested in these rando nobodies that just started paying. But hey, that's anime for you.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

RillAkBea posted:

Bear bear bear bear bear. Bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear bear. Bear bear bear, bear bear. Bear/10

ftfy

I kinda like the idea of a stoic person amongst all the happiness and enthusiasm, tbh. It made for an interesting dynamic as to how Aila was just kinda meh in the original season and we go to see her develop more outside the ring. If Ayame remains as an online-only compatriot to the MCs, it'd be good to keep that counterweight to all the bubbly enthusiasm.

Zodack posted:

Finally an episode I can get behind and enjoy. So ready for and glad the real action started happening. It was a well coordinated battle and I think it flowed really well. Love the Gabaldy Rebake.

Only thing I'm not huge on is everyone important and their dad are somehow invested in these rando nobodies that just started paying. But hey, that's anime for you.

Yeah, it'd be kinda like SKT coming in to say hello to a bunch of casuals in League of Legends or whatnot, and oh boy here's all the other top teams too. Hey, it led to an extremely confident ferret getting dunked on, so in the end it's all good, but I deffo want on the "these Zakus are cool" train. What's the origin of the semi-cylindrical curved shield that one of 'em had on the right arm?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MJP posted:

Yeah, it'd be kinda like SKT coming in to say hello to a bunch of casuals in League of Legends or whatnot, and oh boy here's all the other top teams too. Hey, it led to an extremely confident ferret getting dunked on, so in the end it's all good, but I deffo want on the "these Zakus are cool" train. What's the origin of the semi-cylindrical curved shield that one of 'em had on the right arm?
Looked like a Gelgoog shield to me, unless you meant a different Zaku.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zodack posted:

Eh, I figure they're doing it so the show will have decently established rivals for later on. Each one of these guys represent a different team the MCs will have to fight further down the line after all.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zedd posted:

Looked like a Gelgoog shield to me, unless you meant a different Zaku.

Nah, I meant this one

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a Zaku Cannon. Which I believe premiered in one of those Dreamcast/PS1 Gundam games

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sweet, thanks. Now all I gotta do is convince myself to go buy its P-Bandai HG release, but that's a whole other thread.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

a good ep

wanna pet the zeon ferret

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

MJP posted:

Yeah to confirm what Zedd said. It's a gelgoog shield and beam nagenata. And if you really liked any of the suits used in this episode. All of them and their equipment are real models you can buy. To make your own team of ferret fanboys.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Mordja posted:

Eh, I figure they're doing it so the show will have decently established rivals for later on. Each one of these guys represent a different team the MCs will have to fight further down the line after all.

Oh yeah, I buy that. It made more sense in the Tournaments of the previous shows because you HD this pool of players that garnered a reputation and then there was a small distribution for people to meet and form rivalries and bonds.

But in Divers we have presumably thousands of people play this game and all the big players - and also a random villain? - are invested in Riku and Co.

Not gamebreaking to me by any means and this does happen a lot with "MMO" anime where it's just a setting and they don't commit to it, just still feels goofy to me. But oh well! I like the bigwigs and seeing them fight is fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zodack posted:

Oh yeah, I buy that. It made more sense in the Tournaments of the previous shows because you HD this pool of players that garnered a reputation and then there was a small distribution for people to meet and form rivalries and bonds.

But in Divers we have presumably thousands of people play this game and all the big players - and also a random villain? - are invested in Riku and Co.

Not gamebreaking to me by any means and this does happen a lot with "MMO" anime where it's just a setting and they don't commit to it, just still feels goofy to me. But oh well! I like the bigwigs and seeing them fight is fun.

I think there’s two things at play. First off, this is a team-based game where the teams are big, so everyone is thirsty for hot new talent, and the Build Divers come off credibly as unpolished prodigies. Second, the elite teams are a fairly tight community, so they only had to run into one top player to become known to all of them. There’s a reason GBO keeps getting paralleled with football.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I thought 'forces' were a hard locked team like counter strike, DotA, or real life baseball. But after wolfcat's training dojo and today's episode. Maybe a force is more like a guild in an mmo, which goes along way towards reframing these cardboard kids as two halfway decent newbies that can contribute to a forces ranking. If that's true, do you think ranking tied to number of wins as well as who you win against. Like Rommel is ranked second in part because he has a huge number of members who all contribute points to the overall rank of the force?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sazabi posted:

I thought 'forces' were a hard locked team like counter strike, DotA, or real life baseball. But after wolfcat's training dojo and today's episode. Maybe a force is more like a guild in an mmo, which goes along way towards reframing these cardboard kids as two halfway decent newbies that can contribute to a forces ranking. If that's true, do you think ranking tied to number of wins as well as who you win against. Like Rommel is ranked second in part because he has a huge number of members who all contribute points to the overall rank of the force?

I think it’s both - a guild for organising hard-locked fireteams for PVP content. So Rommel, for instance, seems to have several junior fireteams to train newbies for his main force, while Tigerwolf seems to focus more on group/individual PVE training to cultivate his recruits. That’s where the Build Divers would likely have ended up if they joined him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
While this ep is pretty clearly a "everyone is together let's show off how cool they are" ep, it was extremely enjoyable for me. The peanut gallery was really fun - though Rommel absolutely stole the show - and the fact that the battle did consist of putting a plan and tactics into practice instead of just rushing forward and hoping it all worked out confirmed the faith in their ability to write team battles like the prologue.

Some stuff:
  • I like that Riku isn't the team planner, because he's never shown any aptitude for that kind of stuff and it would be weird for him to suddenly be a tactical genius.
  • I appreciate that they were smart and made their first battle against a subsidiary of a veteran team. The protagonists have gotten a lot of help from veterans and have two experienced players on their team, so it would feel lovely to have them go stomp a bunch of complete newbies like how it felt lovely in Try when Sekai would stomp people with his impossibly powerful gunpla.
  • The new gunpla on the team are extremely fun. Galbaldy Rebake is a super cool design that looks to be an awesome team support robot without being useless in direct combat, Momokapool is adorable and was also allowed to dunk on nerds without being a worthless support robot piloted by a ~girl~, the RX-Zeromaru having a closed face stealth mode is great because it reminds me of Ninja Robot Tobikage, and the 00 Diver Ace appears to be utilizing the Exia's plan of "when in doubt, draw more swords".

This ep pretty much revitalized my hope that this series is gonna be good.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Kanos posted:

While this ep is pretty clearly a "everyone is together let's show off how cool they are" ep, it was extremely enjoyable for me. The peanut gallery was really fun - though Rommel absolutely stole the show - and the fact that the battle did consist of putting a plan and tactics into practice instead of just rushing forward and hoping it all worked out confirmed the faith in their ability to write team battles like the prologue.

Some stuff:
  • I like that Riku isn't the team planner, because he's never shown any aptitude for that kind of stuff and it would be weird for him to suddenly be a tactical genius.
  • I appreciate that they were smart and made their first battle against a subsidiary of a veteran team. The protagonists have gotten a lot of help from veterans and have two experienced players on their team, so it would feel lovely to have them go stomp a bunch of complete newbies like how it felt lovely in Try when Sekai would stomp people with his impossibly powerful gunpla.
  • The new gunpla on the team are extremely fun. Galbaldy Rebake is a super cool design that looks to be an awesome team support robot without being useless in direct combat, Momokapool is adorable and was also allowed to dunk on nerds without being a worthless support robot piloted by a ~girl~, the RX-Zeromaru having a closed face stealth mode is great because it reminds me of Ninja Robot Tobikage, and the 00 Diver Ace appears to be utilizing the Exia's plan of "when in doubt, draw more swords".

This ep pretty much revitalized my hope that this series is gonna be good.

You missed one

Rommel had a different drink every time they cut back to him. I think the drinks also decreased in complexity as well.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sazabi posted:

You missed one

Rommel had a different drink every time they cut back to him. I think the drinks also decreased in complexity as well.

The grenade drink cracked me up so hard I need a screen cap

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sazabi posted:

You missed one

Rommel was a loving treasure this episode.

Taintrunner posted:

The grenade drink cracked me up so hard I need a screen cap

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Rommel going from "easy win", to "well, obviously things get chaotic on the battlefield" and ending in "stop losing and making me look bad!" was amusing to see.

There were a lot of nice little touches that I didn't notice or really appreciate on my first viewing. Things like the Galbaldy's fighting style using very slow and simple swings which helps sell the mass of its scissor-club. The Momokapool acting like a horror-monster, pulling the two Zaku's down underwater by their ankles. The Ace-diver's backpack kind of having the same A-silhouette (with the swords attached and wings extended) that Riku's finishing-move makes. The Zaku-team not being entirely dominated. Sure, it was a 5-0 victory at the end, but they had their moments where they at least managed to push back a little. I also missed the Patrick first time around, but he's still in there! There's a shot of the hub area right before the battle starts, with people looking up at the big screen where the fight is being broadcasted. Patrick is among them. It took me a while to recognize him from behind. Or at least, I think it's him.

The group photo is fantastic as well. You have the mini-kapool to remind you how big mobile suits are. It's only about as big as a Mobile Suit's head, yet here it is about twice as tall as Tiger-wolf or Magee, who themselves seem to be the biggest in the group, and looks like it could fit just about everyone if it were hollow. Then there are the bits of characterization. Tiger-wolf is in his trademark pose,(he really doesn't seem to have any other. Also, he's standing on fox-man's foot though that's probably just because I suspect they drew them separately then slid them onto the scene for the shot.) Rommel is being carried cause he loves that sort of thing. Two of Rommel's underlings are on the left and right side, acting as the border of the group. Ayame is standing outside this border all the way on one side with her back to everyone else, symbolizing how she keeps her distance from the group. And last and best, the Zaku-squad is running laps in the background as punishment for losing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There was one thing that bugged me. The show continued it's info dump about the game.(I groaned aloud when the second expository section, about Force Nests started) so clearly a lot of thought is being put into the game. But then the reward for a team battle is a single cosmetic accessory? That they all have to agree on and then only one person gets it? If I was playing and that happened, it would make me quit the loving game.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

There was one thing that bugged me. The show continued it's info dump about the game.(I groaned aloud when the second expository section, about Force Nests started) so clearly a lot of thought is being put into the game. But then the reward for a team battle is a single cosmetic accessory? That they all have to agree on and then only one person gets it? If I was playing and that happened, it would make me quit the loving game.

The show posted:

Then I found that flower accessory among today's victory bonuses.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Before that they say the award for winning is you choice of accessories.

edit: yeah I'm right

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 15, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The main benefit for winning these things is supposed to be building your rank.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

MMOs man. You get 20 people running a 20-30minute to first boss kill in a raid, and only 2 items drop.

You run a dungeon, once a day, just to get a shoe for your Guildmate. Nothing in there is any use to you, just trying to get that shoe. Can't take that long right... it's like a 20% chance to drop... 3 months later, and it's still welp, 7pm, time to run that dungeon!

Get one thing for a PVP Squad Win? 's pretty good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Do they still make MMOs like that? I'd have hoped that kind of bullshit got out-competed by modern MMOs (basically WoW and Anime WoW)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Xarbala posted:

Do they still make MMOs like that? I'd have hoped that kind of bullshit got out-competed by modern MMOs (basically WoW and Anime WoW)

That's literally how WoW and XIV work. You group up or raid and kill bosses and they drop a random assortment of items(generally 3-5 items per boss for a 20 man raid or 2 items per boss in a 5 man group in wow, as an example). Doing content with the knowledge that not everyone is necessarily walking out with an upgrade or a new toy is understood, especially when people get geared up and start only looking for specific drops.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wonder if a lot of complaints here are because you guys literally never played an MMO.

If anything, it's incredibly generous to get an item only split among 5 instead of like 12-24 people

Farming parties are exactly this in MMO's, to get only experts so you can run the boss as much as possible in efficient as possible.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The main benefit for winning these things is supposed to be building your rank.

And, presumably, most of the prizes are for the nest rather than for the individual team members.

This episode was actually fun, which is nice. The fight was one sided, but in a "they went in with a good plan, and executed it well against a foe who underestimated them" way, as opposed to just making the heroes invincible.

So far, it generally seems like Rommel is a sign of a better Build Diver's episode than the average.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kanos posted:

That's literally how WoW and XIV work. You group up or raid and kill bosses and they drop a random assortment of items(generally 3-5 items per boss for a 20 man raid or 2 items per boss in a 5 man group in wow, as an example). Doing content with the knowledge that not everyone is necessarily walking out with an upgrade or a new toy is understood, especially when people get geared up and start only looking for specific drops.

I just didn't realize chances were so low, and don't both games also use a token system to guarantee at least some form of reward for the effort?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

And, presumably, most of the prizes are for the nest rather than for the individual team members.

This episode was actually fun, which is nice. The fight was one sided, but in a "they went in with a good plan, and executed it well against a foe who underestimated them" way, as opposed to just making the heroes invincible.

So far, it generally seems like Rommel is a sign of a better Build Diver's episode than the average.

I'm actually warming to the side cast despite most of their intro episodes being terrible. Wolf dude taking potshots at Rommel was great.

Xarbala posted:

I just didn't realize chances were so low, and don't both games also use a token system to guarantee at least some form of reward for the effort?

WoW got rid of the token system in the current expansion because it introduced another form of progression(grinding points to level up your weapon).

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Hahaha goddamn that is some dark poo poo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

3 posted:

Hahaha goddamn that is some dark poo poo:

Woah, that reference went right over my head