Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If I have to nuke and pave my phone for an update to not gently caress it up, the update doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Javid posted:

If I have to nuke and pave my phone for an update to not gently caress it up, the update doesn't work.

you're the goon who 2 pages ago said they would actively avoid monthly security updates because someone on an internet comedy forum claimed to run into a bug. sorry if i am less than convinced about your prognostications regarding software engineering

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you're the goon who 2 pages ago said they would actively avoid monthly security updates the current update because someone on an internet comedy forum a shitload of people all over the internet claimed to run into thoroughly documented a massive bug. sorry if i am less than convinced about your prognostications regarding software engineering capable of reading words on a screen

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ah my bad. it wasn't people on an internet comedy forum. it was a variety of pseudonymous nerds on various internet forums. much different

(patch your phone you loving moron. you complete imbecile)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
PHONES. what are they good for

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Javid posted:

Even after, still didn't work. My x4 is 100% screwed by this update.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I may just try get a new phone while I'm in warranty. I'm not waiting 6 months for Motorola to squeeze out a patch for this poo poo.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hey, 8.1 unfucked my X4's battery life. Leaving it off the charger overnight only took a few percents off the battery, and it's reporting nearly three days of juice left at 70%.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Hey, 8.1 unfucked my X4's battery life. Leaving it off the charger overnight only took a few percents off the battery, and it's reporting nearly three days of juice left at 70%.

Nice.

I'm still considering replacing my 5X with an X4 soonish. Knowing me, I'll wait too long and Fi will stop offering it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

Uhhh... Actually, I think it did mine, too. I just realized I haven't plugged it in for a couple of days, and it's fine.

DizzyBum posted:

Nice.

I'm still considering replacing my 5X with an X4 soonish. Knowing me, I'll wait too long and Fi will stop offering it.
I did that right off when they were offering the $50 bonus with it, ended up paying $250 for a pretty substantial upgrade. I'm quite happy with it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My Nexus 5X screen has been cracked for a little while, I bought some clear screen protector thing thinking to just patch it up because gently caress it, screen still works but screen protector thing wants me to get the phone all wet and soapy, and then leave it alone for 8 hours to dry up so I'm just going to assume this is a bad idea what with the cracks and all. Last phone I cracked I used a strip of clear packing tape as a screen mender and it was great, so I'll probably just do that.

Today though, the battery seems to be behaving oddly. Still need to test it out some more, but if it's going to be dying or dead soon I am curious if it was good idea to just buy a refurbished Nexus 5X. Google Fi will only give me 35 bucks at best for my phone as is, and Pixel 2 is too rich for my blood. Moto X4 looks kind of like something bad happened to someone's Nexus (also no back finger?), and I'm hearing mixed poo poo about it -- but that's what you hear for everything I guess. Is the Nexus 5X so old at this point it'd be kind of foolish to buy a refurbished one for cheap? This phone is completely good for everything I do, which is about as basic as it gets. Texting, googling, directions, and reddit. All I really want is raw android and maybe also to use this exact same phone forever. I could get 2 refurb 5X for the price of a Moto X4 through google fi but I guess that's worthless if they just gonna have that bootloader thing some folks get or batteries just go crap with time.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 15, 2018

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Get the X4 and don't look back. Don't wait for that N5 to die in your hands.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Get the X4 and don't look back. Don't wait for that N5 to die in your hands.

Yeah, the front fingerprint reader is really the only downside, and I've had way better luck with it than I have with Apple's.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Refurb 5x are going to be on a death watch. I wouldn't spend money on one.

My first one had "battery problems" for a little while before it boot looped. Dunno if it's a symptom or a statistic of one.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Khanstant posted:

My Nexus 5X screen has been cracked for a little while, I bought some clear screen protector thing thinking to just patch it up because gently caress it, screen still works but screen protector thing wants me to get the phone all wet and soapy, and then leave it alone for 8 hours to dry up so I'm just going to assume this is a bad idea what with the cracks and all. Last phone I cracked I used a strip of clear packing tape as a screen mender and it was great, so I'll probably just do that.

Is that a film screen protector as opposed to a tempered glass one? I remember buying those kits with the spray bottle and rubber squeegee. All the glass protectors Ive gotten have used some sort of adhesive that keeps the screen in place but allows you to remove it without any residue left behind. That would help.

As far as the battery goes, I would agree with everyone else and upgrade.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
New Android update seems to have fixed the battery issue on my Pixel XL. :toot:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Alright, I'mma take this thing up for now and probably end up getting the X4 unless something else better and cheaper crosses my path. I'm really going to miss this thing. Perfect size, finger button in good spot, nice shape. You did me good 5X.

Blackchamber posted:

Is that a film screen protector as opposed to a tempered glass one? I remember buying those kits with the spray bottle and rubber squeegee. All the glass protectors Ive gotten have used some sort of adhesive that keeps the screen in place but allows you to remove it without any residue left behind. That would help.

As far as the battery goes, I would agree with everyone else and upgrade.

Film one, no squeegee or spray, I'm just supposed to make my own soapy water and use that to get it to adhere. It was 1 cent on amazon, so whatever. Didn't want to put tempered glass on cracked glass, but like I said, tape is my solution here.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 23, 2018

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
New phones are out available for Fi:

https://fi.google.com/account#buydevices

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Oh cool, I bet I can get rid of my non-functioning-USB-Moto X4 and get another mid-range phone that...

Oh. $650 for non-motorola. I guess not.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

How's the G6 compared to the X4?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

G6 is not great and may be worse than the X4 according to the android thread:

FistEnergy posted:

Moto G6 reviews are trickling out

https://m.androidcentral.com/moto-g6-review

There's some positives here, but noticeable UI and camera lag out of the box on a Snapdragon 450 would make me pass on it. It's only going to get slower over time. Why in the world did they downgrade the processor from the G5?

There's a lot of competition at $200 now and Moto isn't trying to win the category.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it looks like it's mostly small differences here and there

https://www.techradar.com/news/moto-g6-vs-moto-x4

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Except the lovely customer service remains the same!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just sell some plasma for a new pixel. I bought a refurbished one because I ran out of blood.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I actually looked it up out of curiosity.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

pointlessone posted:

Even after, still didn't work. My x4 is 100% screwed by this update.

Just got the May update, it fixed the lock screen bug with Android Auto and data connections! No idea what new things it's broken, but at least I've got a lock screen again.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I tried to port my number to Sprint, to take advantage of the Unlimited Kickstart $15/month plan. Fi has been decent, but not great -- I felt like I could save money and potentially get slightly better service (the network switching doesn't seem to work great for me). So I "cancel" Fi (port out to Google Voice through the Fi app, very easy), and after about a day my service stops and I try to port to Sprint.

I guess I forgot how poo poo garbage Sprint is from when I had them about 8 years ago, but their call center in India just never knew quite what to do. I don't work in an office, and I use my phone for work, so I needed this to be done in the typical ~24 hours that most carriers would be able to do.

After one day, I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 45 minutes on hold. But at the end of the call they assured me it would be done soon.

After two days, I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 45 minutes on hold. They told me they would "email Google Voice" to release my number. I'm starting to lose my patience when they guy says "please call us back tomorrow."

The morning of day 3 (today), I called Sprint. They didn't really know what to do, and I spent about 1 hour on hold. They told me they would "email Google Voice." I really lost my patience, and asked, "What if they don't respond? I just won't have service? What if I wasn't calling every day?" The guy put me on hold for about 20 minutes at this point to "talk to a supervisor." Maybe he did, but he said they will "email Google Voice." I said, "You need to release my phone number so I can port it to another carrier, immediately." He put me on hold and claimed to have done this. He thanked me for choosing Sprint.

Meanwhile Fi support calls me within 2 minutes and says they'll reactivate my account. They walk me through a few steps, and it's back to normal after 15 minutes.

So I would have saved like $5-600/year, but gently caress, maybe that's the price for decent service.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That's pretty much what my experience with Sprint was when I had them. That place is a trash fire.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nocal posted:

I felt like I could save money and potentially get slightly better service

:thunk:

I'm glad you got that sorted out but, yeah, Sprint is awful.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Johnny Truant posted:

:thunk:

I'm glad you got that sorted out but, yeah, Sprint is awful.

Yeah, I switched from Sprint to Google Fi because Sprint is a trashfire, and I stuck with them for 17 years :negative:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Switched from a Sprint plan that was like $45 a month for unlimited data (one of their SERO plans) that I'd been on for several years that was grandfathered for the T-Mobile $30/month for 5GB. "Unlimited data" from Sprint is like being told you have "unlimited water," but can only use an eye dropper to get it. They're a complete loving poo poo-show. Really not looking forward to the T-Mobile merger.

The only reason I switched from them was for the Hangouts integration. I love being able to text from my PC, and Hangouts does it better than any other app I've found.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 14, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've been having issues with Sprint on Fi too.

I'm unable to make calls and unable to receive them. But if I switch to another carrier, it's fine.

So Sprint is garbage no matter what carrier.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I was with Sprint for many years, and suddenly they erased my online account for some reason. I was sent back and forth between account services and security, neither party knowing why this happened.

After they told me to create a new account, they didn't bat an eye as to my frustration trying to update my old account. I jumped ship immediately after.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

We had Sprint years and years ago, they were okay at the time (which wasn't asking much back then) switched to t-mobile which blew rear end. Fi has been the most straightforward and easy to deal with service by a long shot of any carrier we've used.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Now that I've got all my fi stuff working it's great, but good god their support is a dumpster fire. To be fair, this is true of every cell carrier I've ever had, so they're hitting par on that one.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Javid posted:

Now that I've got all my fi stuff working it's great, but good god their support is a dumpster fire. To be fair, this is true of every cell carrier I've ever had, so they're hitting par on that one.

See, I have only had to contact support two or three times -- just to set up initial service, and then when I was trying to switch carriers, and then when I was desperate to return to Fi. And each time the service was competent, bordering on great. It wasn't perfect, particularly the email/chat. But getting someone on the phone was easy, as they will call you rather than making you wait on hold. And the person was clearly semi-knowledgeable and located in America.

Part of trying to switch to Sprint, where I knew the service was way worse, was that I almost never contact the carrier for anything. Realistically the only time I ever need to contact them is perhaps 1 time per year when I buy a new phone. So, what does it matter if the service is bad? Well if you can't even get the drat service set up, then I guess there's the value in having competent service.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I'm curious how everyone ITT's opinion of Fi support might be different if Google hadn't released a string of buggy phones all in a row :frogbon:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The only contact I had to make regarding an actual, legitimate problem with the device itself was actually handled pretty quickly and simply. I think by the time my 5x died they'd handled so many of the things that they'd gotten the workflow down.

The problems came whenever they encounter something not covered in their "make the user go away" script, as the first line support are retarded monkeys at best and will reliably gently caress up even the most basic tasks if they have to think for themselves at all.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i guess i could say I've had a 75% "success" rate for my 3 Nexus 5X devices that failed. first two support calls went flawlessly. third one, i got some goober on the phone saying different things than all other reps I'd ever talked to and was saying "no" to everything, so I hung up and tried again the next day. Luckily I got someone different and had a pleasant experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nocal posted:

See, I have only had to contact support two or three times -- just to set up initial service, and then when I was trying to switch carriers, and then when I was desperate to return to Fi. And each time the service was competent, bordering on great. It wasn't perfect, particularly the email/chat. But getting someone on the phone was easy, as they will call you rather than making you wait on hold. And the person was clearly semi-knowledgeable and located in America.

Part of trying to switch to Sprint, where I knew the service was way worse, was that I almost never contact the carrier for anything. Realistically the only time I ever need to contact them is perhaps 1 time per year when I buy a new phone. So, what does it matter if the service is bad? Well if you can't even get the drat service set up, then I guess there's the value in having competent service.

Yeah, I've never had a bad experience with their customer service. I got a Pixel XL replacement before everybody started swooping in to get their S6's replaced, and even when I tried (unsuccesfully) to port my Sprint number to Fi, I still had amazing customer service. Like, checking the "call me" option or whatever and I got a call within 15 minutes. :shrug: