Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Wizard van Drukhari get in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Goddamn those are hot.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Some goon did a great set of wizard van Dark Eldar back in the day, its cool to see the idea cycle back around.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IMO it's less "idea cycle" and more "the entire gimmick of Eldar aesthetic" :v:

Eldar vehicles always look better the closer they are to something out of a Boris Vallejo drawing.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 15, 2018

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Pendent posted:

They're a great kit so I think they're worth picking up for that alone.

As a Blood Angels player I used to swear by carbine Reivers in the pre-FAQ days as being incredible for harassment and taking forward objectives in the early game. Their advantage was that they were a fairly durable deep striking unit with a very reasonable cost that could do a reasonable job of chipping away at screening units or assaulting soft targets when given an opportunity. They're quite a bit less useful for objective grabbing now that they can't deep strike turn 1 and I've not really come up with another way to use them that really feels worthwhile. They were, after all, never particularly great at shooting and we have much more effective tools to use in assault.

Cheers, its a cool kit and I would love to make it work.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This is a super vague question, but what is the technique/trick to making vibrant cool colors like purple and blue look good on minis? When I'm prowling pinterest it seems like those are the hardest colors to make look awesome on minis.

Neurolimal posted:

IMO it's less "idea cycle" and more "the entire gimmick of Eldar aesthetic" :v:

Eldar vehicles always look better the closer they are to something out of a Boris Vallejo drawing.

Kabal of the R E T R O W A V E

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Wizard van Drukhari get in

Every jetbike has itself and its rider airbrushed on the side recursively so.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Cheers, its a cool kit and I would love to make it work.

I'm still working on figuring out how to really make my Blood Angels work in the post-FAQ world and it is entirely possible that Reivers will be a part of my solution to the board presence problem after some testing. Carbines and grapnel launchers might be decent at skirmishing if you start them on the table- it might be worth trying a unit or two of them to support infiltrating scouts during the first turn or two for instance.

Basically they aren't bad, per se. Just difficult to use. I really did enjoy painting mine so if you like the kits I'd have no reservations in recommending that you pick a kit up.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I'm still working on figuring out how to really make my Blood Angels work in the post-FAQ world and it is entirely possible that Reivers will be a part of my solution to the board presence problem after some testing. Carbines and grapnel launchers might be decent at skirmishing if you start them on the table- it might be worth trying a unit or two of them to support infiltrating scouts during the first turn or two for instance.

Basically they aren't bad, per se. Just difficult to use. I really did enjoy painting mine so if you like the kits I'd have no reservations in recommending that you pick a kit up.

I'd say they still make sense as skirmishers even if you need to wait for turn 2 to bring them on. They're not expensive and are reasonably tough, so they can work well with grav chutes to come on turn 2 and either hold mid-field objectives or pressure your opponents objectives if he just leaves a single squad on them or something.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

I'd say they still make sense as skirmishers even if you need to wait for turn 2 to bring them on. They're not expensive and are reasonably tough, so they can work well with grav chutes to come on turn 2 and either hold mid-field objectives or pressure your opponents objectives if he just leaves a single squad on them or something.

It feels weird to have something in reserves that isn't really going to do anything huge when it's so important to have stuff on the board, both for having boots on the ground and for manipulating the power level restriction for reserve units. They're still probably fairly usable but I feel like they might be more useful deploying as far forward as possible and advancing into the mid field turn 1.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This is a super vague question, but what is the technique/trick to making vibrant cool colors like purple and blue look good on minis? When I'm prowling pinterest it seems like those are the hardest colors to make look awesome on minis.

Inks and silver undercoat. Or inks and white with blending. Basically inks.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

It feels weird to have something in reserves that isn't really going to do anything huge when it's so important to have stuff on the board, both for having boots on the ground and for manipulating the power level restriction for reserve units. They're still probably fairly usable but I feel like they might be more useful deploying as far forward as possible and advancing into the mid field turn 1.

I guess it depends. I haven't played with my BA since the FAQs dropped, but I've been leaning more and more towards my assault units not being in deep strike. I really hate how you're reliant on various buffs, but it's very hard to get more than 1 unit into combat out of deep strike.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I have some deathwatch mans that I built for kill team / small games. I haven’t played any 8th at all yet.

How does the game play at very small points values? Thinking kinda combat patrol scale of the game - couple of squads and some transports sort of thing.

Also if I have the codex, what else do I need to play? I saw people up thread saying that the free rules pack doesn’t have everything?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Dumb question, but work has kept me from the rules development. What do I need to be up to date for a tournament in the next month?

Also, SJ , you gonna be at bugeater?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Immanentized posted:

Dumb question, but work has kept me from the rules development. What do I need to be up to date for a tournament in the next month?

Also, SJ , you gonna be at bugeater?

You know it. I'll be doing WMH Saturday but I'll be hanging out Friday-Sun shooting the poo poo with people and helping out. In fact, I'm currently building some Frontline Gaming terrain for it. I... do not like building their terrain.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ineptmule posted:

Also if I have the codex, what else do I need to play? I saw people up thread saying that the free rules pack doesn’t have everything?

The regular rule book has a few things the quick rules don’t, such as missions, deployment types, other game modes, and army-generic Stratgems, and Warlord Traits (you only need to know about the 1CP to reroll one die per phase strat). Everything else you need is in the codex you’re playing with, as each unit has all the rules they need (excepting army-wide special rules that are listed at the front of the unit entries).

Basically if you and your opponent can agree on a mission and deployment method without the book, you’re set. (Don’t forget the 1CP to reroll strat!)

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 16, 2018

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

S.J. posted:

You know it. I'll be doing WMH Saturday but I'll be hanging out Friday-Sun shooting the poo poo with people and helping out. In fact, I'm currently building some Frontline Gaming terrain for it. I... do not like building their terrain.

Word, I'll PM you my # in the run up. I'll be playing the 40k doubles with my buddy Travis and bumming around the rest of the weekend as well.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

The regular rule book has a few things the quick rules don’t, such as missions, deployment types, other game modes, and army-generic Stratgems and Warlord Traits (you only need to know about the 1CP to reroll one die per phase strat). Everything else you need is in the codex you’re playing with, as each unit has all the rules they need (excepting army-wide special rules that are listed at the front of the unit entries).

Basically if you and your opponent can agree on a mission and deployment method without the book, you’re set. (Don’t forget the 1CP to reroll strat!)

It has the various detachments (which again you don't super need), and the other useful rulebook strat (2cp to interrupt the order of combat)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Word, I'll PM you my # in the run up. I'll be playing the 40k doubles with my buddy Travis and bumming around the rest of the weekend as well.

Sick! I'll see you then. At some point I'm going to have to start painting some of these drat Orks I have sitting around.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

I guess it depends. I haven't played with my BA since the FAQs dropped, but I've been leaning more and more towards my assault units not being in deep strike. I really hate how you're reliant on various buffs, but it's very hard to get more than 1 unit into combat out of deep strike.

I'm still very much experimenting but have been having some decent luck with a big block of Sanguinary Guard. I support them with a Thunder Hammer Captain with Angel's Wing and a Terminator Librarian who has Unleash Rage and Wings of Sanguinius.

If you use Descent of Angels on the SG everything you're charging with has a pretty fair chance of making the charge due to re-rolls but the only thing that really has to make it into the fight are the guard. They're already getting the +1 attack from Unleash Rage regardless of what happens with the Librarian, and even if the Captain fails his own charge with careful positioning you can have the Guard still able to get the re-rolls for 1's which is a decent substitute for the full re-rolls you get if the Capain is able to succeed.

The issue here is of course that while the Sanguinary Guard will very likely wreck anything they touch I don't have a way of clearing the screening units out with Inceptors like I did before (Pre-FAQ Turn 1 Inceptors drop down and punch the hell out of stuff, Turn 2 the assault units start coming in). I'm looking at possibly using Stormtalons or something but need to do testing to see how they preform.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Booley posted:

It has the various detachments (which again you don't super need), and the other useful rulebook strat (2cp to interrupt the order of combat)

How do you guys not have to worry about the 2 CP to auto-pass morale strat? I use that easily twice a game. :psyduck:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

How do you guys not have to worry about the 2 CP to auto-pass morale strat? I use that easily twice a game. :psyduck:

Morale is basically a non-issue for a marine player running a lot of MSU or for a fair number of other armies these days, one way or another.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

My guys are squads of 5 at ld9, if they're next to my banner or my chaplain they become ld10 and literally cant fail and the only way they can fail otherwise is by losing 4 men in a single turn without just being wiped out and rolling two 6s in a row, this has happened literally once in the space of like 10 months.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Inks and silver undercoat. Or inks and white with blending. Basically inks.

now there's a good lookin' model my friend

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Worth mentioning if you buy the Data Cards for your army, it will include your 3 core rule stratagems. So you can have the literal rule reference still.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

now there's a good lookin' model my friend

Almost done with three Inceptors. Now that the semester is over I've been working like crazy.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Okay, hamgoons, I have a bit of a problem.

Back when I started my Necron army I got the old battleforce (the one with 20 warriors, 5 immortals/deathmarks, and a ghost ark). During assembly, I used 5 of the warriors to make 5 gauss immortals. Later when I got another box of warriors (for a total of 32 warriors), I used some more of the extra parts to create 2 crypteks and the overlord on a command barge. But now I want to run bigger squads of warriors, but only have 24 warriors built (along with 2 old metal warriors I've been using as lords). Is it worth it to try and tear apart some of the models and rebuild them as warriors?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
You may just be better off getting a box of warriors solo or a start collecting. I think its 12 necron warriors to a box an trying to cannibalize models more often than not leads to crap breaking beyond sane repair methods.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Kabal of the R E T R O W A V E

Another vague question, how does pinterest manage to collect the high quality content it has when searching for warhammer dudes? It shits on google while simultaneously infuriating me with its arcane functionality.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

goodness posted:

Another vague question, how does pinterest manage to collect the high quality content it has when searching for warhammer dudes? It shits on google while simultaneously infuriating me with its arcane functionality.

The functionality is aggressively anti-user. I hate it but tolerate it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Am I wrong to think a unit of 5 Deathwatch Reivers with carbines would be really good? Special ammo, grapnels, just have them hauling rear end around the map causing trouble

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Special Ammo makes Carbines fantastic. You can also get some sickeningly good use out of Heavy Bolt Pistols in melee.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I've got a different question about Necrons - I've never played with or against them, and so I'm not sure how to build my Lychguard that I got from Forgebane. I'm leaning toward Hyperphase Swords and Dispersion Shields because they seem like they'd be good as a tanky unit, but Warscythes also look pretty cool.
Similar deal with the Wraiths - are there any worthless options here, or am I safe to just pick what looks/seems cool for them? I generally build based on the Rule Of Cool, but still want to make sure I'm not taking a Crap Trap Choice for an army I'm unfamiliar with.

I'm also really confused why everyone's been arguing about the viability of the dual-resurrection-orb loadout for the Necron Lord; the codex clearly states that they can only take a single orb. Are there some supplemental forgeworld rules I'm not aware of?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Agreed, lot of fun options to try. Grots, wyches, talos, and even Wracks to a certain degree are all pretty good in combat PPW.

Look at these beautiful reavers.

Jesus Christ these are sexy as hell.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

So I'm thinking about getting some 1' x 1' MDF boards cut out, and then just throwing a bunch of random scatter terrain on them for ruins to give infantry some cover. Are there any recommended sizes for terrain features like this, or does it really matter?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So how does -1 to an attack work when it comes to things like re-roll on 1 or specials like rending on 6? Do I re-roll a 2 and 1? Is rending on 6 impossible?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm putting base coats on my first Drukari stuff and this Venom just called me "boy"

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

So how does -1 to an attack work when it comes to things like re-roll on 1 or specials like rending on 6? Do I re-roll a 2 and 1? Is rending on 6 impossible?

Rerolls happen before modifiers- meaning that if you had a heavy weapon that moved with a base BS of 3 you would be able to reroll results where the dice facing is a 1 or a 2 but not the 3 even though it's a miss.

Stuff like rending or Gets Hot usually happens after modifiers, meaning that a plasma weapon shooting a target with a -1 hit will overheat on a 1 or a 2.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Edit: nvm answered better above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

bird food bathtub posted:

You reroll before modifiers are applied. If you have a "reroll failed hits" ability and your normal to-hit is a 3+, you can reroll 1s and 2s but if you roll a 3 it's stuck (and then misses).

Any ability that says "Hit roll of 6+" can't be achieved with a -1 to hit.

You also explode on plasma on more dice faces if you have a - to hit.