Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Happy mother's day.

https://twitter.com/Moose_Bigelow/status/995696428247793664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Sometimes what you really need is just some straight-up no-loving-around thrash metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3ClTo7IDA

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Actually you need thrash all the drat time, but it needs to be good thrash.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
For as played out as thrash can be it's still the best genre to experience live, which is why I'm stoked to see Power Trip again this week

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just realized that the word "barbecue" has been screamed into the metal canon by Mayhem and lolled. Mayhem need to tour with Demilich so we can get the "barbecue"/"backyard" twofer out of the way

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Smirr posted:

I just realized that the word "barbecue" has been screamed into the metal canon by Mayhem and lolled. Mayhem need to tour with Demilich so we can get the "barbecue"/"backyard" twofer out of the way

Are there any metal songs that mention hot dogs?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I don't know of any! My instinct is that crossover thrash might be the best place to start looking but if anyone knows a metal song with hot dogs in it :justpost:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

https://www.metal-archives.com/search?searchString=Hot+dog&type=song_title

Go nuts

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks for introducing me to

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I was just introduced to the glory that is Ghoul!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdWRZ5sJhSQ

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeeaah, Ghoul are pretty great. Solid thrash and Gwar-lite stage antics is a solid recipe for good shows. They just put out a new split rapper Ill Bill and it's solid.

I get why it isn't really a thing but I do love bands that have continuity in their songs. Gwar and Ghoul both obviously have large narratives going but even dumb things like the Doomsword's songs about the doomsword work. Or when that riff from Eyehategod's Southern Discomfort shows up again in Jackass in the Will of God and it drags you right back down.

Continuity is good.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Metal Thread: Ghouls 'n Ghosts

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I want new albums from Turisas and Finntroll.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

henpod posted:

I want new albums from Turisas.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want a new Amon Amarth.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I haven't liked anything from Finntroll after Vreth joined. The band lost something after Tapio Wilska left.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nordick posted:

Sometimes what you really need is just some straight-up no-loving-around thrash metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3ClTo7IDA
Only '90s Kids Will Get This Video!

It's always weird when derivative, by-the-numbers bands go with the millennial nostalgia approach, because you basically have to be 15 years old for this song to be interesting

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I want a new Immortal album... Oh! Wait...WHAT?!?!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

But they picked the worst version of doom tho.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I want a new Pig Destroyer album... Oh! Wait...WHAT?!?!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I was coming here to say PxDx announced a new album for September

I don't want to have to wait for this

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m bored of grind. I didn’t even bother with the new Napalm Death. But Pig Destroyer? Yeah there’s no loving way I’m not blasting that the second it’s out.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Omnikin posted:

I was coming here to say PxDx announced a new album for September

I don't want to have to wait for this

Yup literally came to post that I want a new Pig Destroyer album and saw this:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Wow! Let's try this again...

I want a new Bolt Thrower album! *crickets *crickets

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I want my puppy to come back from the farm, he must be very tired from playing with all the other puppies by now.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Apparently I bought tickets to a Chevalier and to a Malokarpatan show while extremely drunk last weekend. I think this counts as self-care? Certainly a nice surprise when the tickets showed up in my inbox today

Check out these good Bavarian lads who are also on the line-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DU1k-l8jFY

hell yeah

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

henpod posted:

I want new albums from Turisas and Finntroll.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I want a new Amon Amarth.
:same: but I wish AA would take a step back and dial the heaviness back up, Jomsviking is a nice album but I want more Death in Fire type poo poo.

Vintersorg posted:

I haven't liked anything from Finntroll after Vreth joined. The band lost something after Tapio Wilska left.
Shame, for me they've been remarkably consistent. I like each and every one of their albums.

Vulture Culture posted:

Only '90s Kids Will Get This Video!

It's always weird when derivative, by-the-numbers bands go with the millennial nostalgia approach, because you basically have to be 15 years old for this song to be interesting
I'm 35 and I liked it :shrug: Yes it is bogstandard thrash, but sometimes that just hits the spot, which was my whole point.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There should be more air guitar in band photos

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Short and sweet writeup of Slayer farewell show:
Whole thing started an hour late, no big deal. Testament takes the stage, puts on a great show, plays 5 songs. Behemoth are up next but the audience is 90% aging thrashdads so they don't give a gently caress about Behemoth, only a few of us knew their songs or were hyped to hear the new track Wolves Ov Siberia. I yelled at Nergal during some downtime, he smiled and pointed and I feel like I made his day a little better at this show that didn't couldn't care less about a BM act. Anthrax were next, played like 5 songs. Lots of energy, Joey had a ton of fun jumping around and lots of audience interaction. Lamb of God took the stage, were supposed to play a 12 song set, left after 6 to accommodate being behind schedule. I don't give even a partial gently caress about LoG but they put on a great show, Randy is a great frontman.
Theeeeen we get to Slayer. After a stage setup that took literally the entirety of AC/DC's Back in Black that they decided to play over the speakers, we get to their set. They speed through the songs with no energy at all other than Gary who was thrashing like a maniac. Short interjection from Tom like 3 songs in saying "We are behind so we need to keep things moving." They get to the last 4 songs that were supposed to be an encore, skip any pretense of it being so and just fly through their set like you were just listening to a Slayer Greatest Hits but only half the tracks are good. At the end Tom just says "K, night," no thanking the crowd for supporting Slayer over the years, nothing for people that probably drove from the Bay Area, just "K have a good one."
Felt lovely, all 4 supporting acts put on killer shows and cut their sets short to accommodate Slayer just going through the motions. Hopefully any of you seeing them at future stops have a better experience. Oh the merch sucks too, looks like white trash lovely Pantera-Hell Yeah-core tour shirts from the 90s. Behemoth had none, Testament had good poo poo but it sold out right away.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

OK DUDE BUT DID THEY PLAY MY FAVS: RAINING BLOOD AND ANGEL OF DEATH? SLAYER CRUSH

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nazzadan posted:

Short and sweet writeup of Slayer farewell show:
Whole thing started an hour late, no big deal. Testament takes the stage, puts on a great show, plays 5 songs. Behemoth are up next but the audience is 90% aging thrashdads so they don't give a gently caress about Behemoth, only a few of us knew their songs or were hyped to hear the new track Wolves Ov Siberia. I yelled at Nergal during some downtime, he smiled and pointed and I feel like I made his day a little better at this show that didn't couldn't care less about a BM act. Anthrax were next, played like 5 songs. Lots of energy, Joey had a ton of fun jumping around and lots of audience interaction. Lamb of God took the stage, were supposed to play a 12 song set, left after 6 to accommodate being behind schedule. I don't give even a partial gently caress about LoG but they put on a great show, Randy is a great frontman.
Theeeeen we get to Slayer. After a stage setup that took literally the entirety of AC/DC's Back in Black that they decided to play over the speakers, we get to their set. They speed through the songs with no energy at all other than Gary who was thrashing like a maniac. Short interjection from Tom like 3 songs in saying "We are behind so we need to keep things moving." They get to the last 4 songs that were supposed to be an encore, skip any pretense of it being so and just fly through their set like you were just listening to a Slayer Greatest Hits but only half the tracks are good. At the end Tom just says "K, night," no thanking the crowd for supporting Slayer over the years, nothing for people that probably drove from the Bay Area, just "K have a good one."
Felt lovely, all 4 supporting acts put on killer shows and cut their sets short to accommodate Slayer just going through the motions. Hopefully any of you seeing them at future stops have a better experience. Oh the merch sucks too, looks like white trash lovely Pantera-Hell Yeah-core tour shirts from the 90s. Behemoth had none, Testament had good poo poo but it sold out right away.

lol of course the slayer farewell show in 2018 felt phoned in

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

thanks for confirming my right choice to skip that tour and just remember seeing Slayer as they were with Hanneman & Lombardo

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I would go to see the 4 openers then just leave after, tbh. They put on a great show.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
LoG and Slayer just passed through the Bay Area on a tour what...like four months ago or so? I feel like I just saw them.

AND HELL YEAH THEY PLAYED RAINING BOOD AND CRUSHED IT BRAH

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Speaking of thrash that's derivative but pretty cool, I'm enjoying this one tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7HG5vgt66Y

Last track starting around the 32 minute mark is the star of the show

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Nordick posted:

Shame, for me Finntroll have been remarkably consistent. I like each and every one of their albums.

Agreed! The last few albums have still had that dark mischievousness as the older ones. Still a lot of fun to listen to.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The bidet on my toilet is in the same key as the new Immortal track :black101:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kilometers Davis posted:

The bidet on my toilet is in the same key as the new Immortal track :black101:

The key of Pee Minor?

(Oh wait, that's R Kelly)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Smirr posted:

Apparently I bought tickets to a Chevalier and to a Malokarpatan show while extremely drunk last weekend. I think this counts as self-care? Certainly a nice surprise when the tickets showed up in my inbox today

Check out these good Bavarian lads who are also on the line-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DU1k-l8jFY

hell yeah

I saw Malokarpatan a few weeks ago and they were loving awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finally getting some idea what that what the Agalloch/Giant Squid mashup Khôrada sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwM218BF9lw

I'm definitely more of a Giant Squid fan going in but this really works for me. Certainly I like it more than John Aaron Gregory's other band Squallus.